Thread: This has been boggling my mind for quite some time

Che

This has been boggling my mind for quite some time

YouTube - Dr Quantum - Double Slit Experiment

Discuss. Is everything what we think it is? Is it completely different than our predictions? Is there some force we can't see?

I'm curious to see what TFFers can come up with.

I'm also curious if this has anything to do with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9GBf...e=channel_page ?
    Last edited by Che; 06-10-2009 at 09:49 PM.

I've performed this experiment a bunch of times in my different lab sessions. It's all about the matter/wave duality. Physicists can't really explain what causes it or why it happens. All we can explain is what happens. It's all so exciting.

This has been boggling my mind for quite some time Asheis's Avatar
    Forms of measurement. How we measure something changes the very nature of it. It's a mind boggling phenomenon. Not having much physics in my background.. (yet!!) I really don't know how this could work. However, I'm sure it's not quite as simple are it's being made out to be.
    Holding you to know you exist, and the feeling.. absolute love..

Figaro
    I am by no means a Physicist, but I am interested in Physics and I have read a little on the basics of this. My understanding is, that the main point of the quantum theory is that until you can actually observe something, every possibility of what it could be is true and that the act of observing it is what causes something to be true. This is explored by Schrödinger's cat, the famous thought experiment. Almost all Physicists take this as fact, although some will argue along the lines of Einstein, that it is spooky, and that there is a reason for everything, which the Quantum theory says that there doesn't have to be.

Shake it like a polaroid picture This has been boggling my mind for quite some time RagnaToad's Avatar
    I don't think this is subject to discussion. It's just an experiment in quantum physics that is way too complex to grasp. Certainly for commoners like ourselves.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

Well there are people on this board who have interests in these things, and there are also members who happen to be studying these things...so I think it's great. Quantum mechanics are mind numbingly complex, I want to be frozen for 10,000 years so I can come back to see if we've figured it all out. I'm curious if this experiment could be used to strengthen string theory. It's almost as if those electron particles are breaking up into something smaller after reacting to the slits and each other.

Blugh, string theory! I hate it. I can not wait until it gets disproved. It just makes no logical sense to me, no matter how much I attempt to understand it.

What I like about string theory is it accepts that if it's possible to go infinitely large, why not go infinitely small. Sure it may not be the correct theory, and on such a small scale it's likely it will be impossible to be proven or dis proven for centuries if not forever.

#LOCKE4GOD This has been boggling my mind for quite some time Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wow that is creepy. I'm no scientist, in fact, I'm a complete Arts student... but that just does not make sense. How does observation change anything?? Is it just that the two slit electron wave was theorised, but not observed? Because that would suggest that it's just a bad theory. I'm sure I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here, but wow.. that really scares me... it's like the electrons are *gulp* alive.