Thread: Hannah Montana and High School Musical are affronts to the civilized world. Discuss.

TFF's Token Imp Hannah Montana and High School Musical are affronts to the civilized world. Discuss. Martin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hannah Montana and High School Musical are affronts to the civilized world. Discuss.

I consider the destruction of Disney to have arrived around the middle of 2005 when it was announced that they were in production of an OM (Original Movie) by the name of High School Musical. It was to be an all-singing and dancing extravaganza featuring a cast of relative unknowns, with a passable story. Nervous girl finds hope in singing. Basketball star finds release in singing. They find each other with trials and tribulations amongst the way. It's a sickly sweet tale of romance against the odds as they are often are. I have absolutely nothing wrong with that – I must admit I do resent the success of it somewhat as a film, but it's not the most ridiculous release I have seen and at parts (and excusing the diabolical script and acting) okay. It's a film you know you can put on to keep the younger ones quiet. And had it stopped there I would not be engaging in this argument. Disney then proceeded to sell out just that one iota more with it's merchandising range. Soon (and I mean in the literal case of weeks later) their outlets were flooded with mugs, keyrings, posters, dolls, toys, DVD's, video games. Within a matter of months a sequel was planned and a worldwide stage tour, amongst the backdrop of an ice tour. The sequel was perhaps more of a success and HSM3 was written by the end of 2007.
    An Argentinian spin-off, High School Musical: El desafio was made, and HSM3 premiered in cinemas on October 24th 2008. It currently holds the record for the biggest opening weekend in history taking in $80m worldwide. Rich Ross, Disney Channel's Worldwide President announced in April this year that the fourth film was in the writing stage. It is estimated that through all manners of sales this franchise has made multiple billions which is staggering considering the production budget for all three films was a total of $24.5m.

March 24th 2006. The next step in Disney's global domination was complete with the release of their currently biggest-selling franchise. Hannah Montana, a show derived from the co-producer of other Disney hit That's so Raven about a pop-star whom by day tries to live a normal life with normal friends at a normal school whilst maintaining her on-stage persona. This is not complicated. This is aimed at the naïve and wholeheartedly stupid rich brats that believe that this sort of lifestyle is
    a) possible
    b) clever
    c) even a good idea
    I actually find this more annoying than the whole premise of High School Musical. I understand why it's successful but it has no meaning and no actual point. Where is any remote realism? I can't believe I'm defending such things but at least parts of the Musical are remotely plausible. Perhaps I'm being harsh on the program. I'm aware it's a sitcom aimed at 8-14 year-old girls and it's not meant to be taken seriously, but I am annoyed at its numerous spin-offs and cinematic debut. Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert was released originally in Disney Digital 3-D for a week in February 2008. However, with its massive successes in the States Disney allowed its continuation for as long as the cinemas wanted. Ticket prices were obscene with as much as $15 a showing. Plus Hannah Montana: The Movie is scheduled for release in May 2009.

The funny thing is America (perhaps that's actually not fair, the rest of the world in fact) has enough of these people living within its borders to buy it's shoddy cheaply-made merchandise and to be sucked in by the Miley Cyrus maelstrom. Over the past decade or so, with the onset of the Nickelodeon's Olsen Twin revolution through to the current Disney juggernaut, the majority of society has had to suffer with these intolerable efforts on our conscience and our sanity. Yes, they appeal and enlighten the age group they are aimed at, but really must we all be victim to their relentless dancing and whimsical music? If the term music can indeed be used in such a context. And you may ask, how can I make such an argument without actually watching or giving them a chance? Well I have younger family members and therefore I have. They are an insult to intelligence, an insult to their audience and perhaps more crucially an insult to American stereotypes. It's commonly believed throughout the western world that their high schools are populated by cliques of “nerds, jocks, drama types”. This only serves to enforce it, even Montana to an extent. I understand they are used as escapism and are not meant to be taken seriously but honestly have we really stooped to such a level where this is considered entertainment? It comes to such where parents are gushing because the third instalment opened in theatres so they could make an event out of it.

And what of the stars? They are scrutinized to every minute detail and cannot be allowed to live normal everyday lives. Even the most secretive are not allowed a private life – the Vanessa Hudgens naked photos anyone? Any sort of story is exploited to such an extent that it sells newspapers for weeks simply because the writers know they will have such a large audience that they will always sell out. And the actors allow it because they know there is a big paycheck at the end of every film and idolisation from the masses. It's a gigantic sell-out from all angles. And that is what I personally find so utterly offensive about it. They all profit from each other and their greed.

Am I a little too much? Please, feel free to comment. This is just my musings, and you must take them with a pinch of salt of course.
    Spoiler:

Care to have a look at my WordPress Journal?

I don't think it has to do with America...Just the marketers have sold out. Companies are now run by people who only care about money, not quality. Disney obviously is nothing like it used to be; the t.v. channel alone is terrible. Kids nowadays don't have access to the stuff we used to watch when we were younger so they really have no idea how truly awful these shows are. Yes, it's a matter of opinion but come on, Hannah Montana is easily the most shallow and unfunny show ever. Prove me wrong .

Trust me, the kids who love this crap: HSM, Hannah montana, Zack and Cody(*shudder*)..you can't argue with them. They think it's great just because it's what all the kids their age watch. They're forced into thinking it's funny because of the horribly lame laugh tracks that sound every 5 seconds(no exaggeration there). Ahh, personally I hate the cast of HSM just for bringing that atrocity to the public so I don't care what humiliation that Hudgens loser suffered. She was kind of asking for it by acting like an irresponsible slut anyway. And isn't she like 16? What a moron. Can't act for crap either, but what Disney star can?

Registered User Hannah Montana and High School Musical are affronts to the civilized world. Discuss. winterborn86's Avatar
    Total sad confession here, but I rather liked HSM, (please don't hurt me) but I think it has gone a bit over the top with all the merchandise, there is sooooo much of it, I think the strangest thing I have seen is a toothbrush that sings HSM songs, WTF is that all about??? Any child who is in love with HSM will love and want all the merchandise that is out there, people will make alot of money off that.
    But I do hope they stop the HSM cos it will get annoying if they keep on making loads of them.
    As for Hannah Montana I can't stand it, neither can I stand that so Raven and other programs like that, the acting is way way way over the top and so bizarre.
    Is int there some new film about or coming out called Camp rock?? I have seen previews and to me it looks like people have tried to re-create HSM, just with different characters and different story lines, what is the point in that? is has really irritated me, and I don't personally think it will be a major hit like HSM was either. I think the producers are just playing off the success of HSM when they made Camp rock.
    As for Disney, to me Disney will always be the good old animation, not the CGI or whatever it's called like Pixar uses, but the old original hand drawn classics like snow white, The Lion King, Peter Pan and all the others. THAT is what Disney is all about

My TFF Family

My FFVII addicted nephew: Secret weapon
    My Bullet lovin half wolf cousin: Raider
    My complete FFVII nut sister: Unkown entity
    My Freya obsessed, grammar nazi brother: Doc rocco

Don't worry, I won't hurt you.. Ugh, about Camp Rock, believe it or not I actually sat through that movie with my friend...we were curious okay? And I'll be honest: that was probably the most torturous 90 minutes of my life. The acting was SO BAD. The girl's singing and songs made me want to shove my head inside a toilet. The ending was extremely cheesy. I cannot believe anyone could think these movies and stars and songs are cool but that's just me. I have a confession though...when i first heard about HSM i was curious so i downloaded some songs and i liked some of them XD...then i went on youtube and saw the videos and that pretty much changed my mind. BTW that Ashley Tisdale girl's voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

What is the point of this thread?

Corporations make stupid media and stupid people buy it. This has been going on long before you and I were born. If anything, we should be happy that the mouth breathers are entertained, otherwise they might try and overthrow the intellectual elite. When the fun ended in Russia, a revolution came.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Yes, they appeal and enlighten the age group they are aimed at, but really must we all be victim to their relentless dancing and whimsical music?
    Appeal to I can see, but enlighten?
    None of those shows strikes me as particularly enlightening for the littlies. They're all rather shallow shows that appeal to children who don't know better at that point in time. That said, I do know some people who're into High School Musical, most being female young adults who also like the romantic movies that have lost the comedy aspect which is what generally appeals to myself in a chickflick...

They may perhaps educate kids on behaving like a dancing looney (the boys might get beaten up in school at some point for appearing to be a 'stereotypical homosexual' which the other kids don't seem to tend to like too much), or the highly impressionable tween girls might get a bit of an attitude emulating a character with one, but true enlightening I feel would be at bare minimum if at all.

In conclusion, I don't personally give a damn. If the children are watching television like this exclusively as opposed to programming that may help to educate them, good for me. It could mean less serious competition for jobs when they grow up, especially as they may lack the skills to fill out a job application.
    victoria aut mors

I love the title of this thread because I agree with every word. HSM is indeed an affront to the civilized world. Culture took a huge blow when that abomination was released. The camerawork was awful, the actors couldn't act and it was all so cliche and perfect, not very realistic now is it?

Of course I suppose you could say its fulfilling it's job in that it's making kids happy, but I don't think this is what should be making kids happy. Bring back the days of "Cow and Chicken" and "Courage the cowardly dog", you know them shows where nothing was institutionalized and it meant nothing to be watching those shows. Now if you don't like HSM and are between 6-11 you're considered weird. That shouldn't be the case.

Or you could look at the fact that High School Musical is contributing loads capital to our economy and is helping slow down the sharp decline that we're going through. But why consider that when we know that it's bad music and poor acting?

Govinda
    It makes my little cousins speak in American accents when they watch it, which I find disgusting.

It's typical American mumbo, Martin. They've been at it for years. Yes, it is completely offensive; yes, if you watched them all in one afternoon you'd OD on saccahrine halfway through. But what they represent is the teenage life kids want, a dramatic one where there's drama and (this is the important bit) where people are looking at them. It gives to children what Garden State in its self-obsessed whingeing gives to indie kids who feel misunderstood. Just like my cousins will never have teenage years like the kids in HSM, 'emotionally damaged' (apparently) people I know will never find their Natalie Portman and have a beautiful, life-changing experience set to the The Shins.

They serve a purpose. There is money to be made in telling people where subversive parts of them think the world is going; a lot of blockbusters these days are decidedly dystopian for that reason. It's money-making psychology.

It's not really an affront to the civilised world, but it does suggest to me that the civilised world is heading in completely the wrong direction. Our kids will continue to absorb American culture because, and this is often overlooked, it is spoken in their own mother tongue and is glamourous. It's always sunny in America, either that or dramatically-placed snow or pouring rain. We live in drizzle.

To understand all you really have to do is compare HSM to Grange Hill. But it is a worrying path.

TFF's Token Imp Hannah Montana and High School Musical are affronts to the civilized world. Discuss. Martin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M16 View Post
    Or you could look at the fact that High School Musical is contributing loads capital to our economy and is helping slow down the sharp decline that we're going through. But why consider that when we know that it's bad music and poor acting?
    Heeeey way to completely ignore the point I was making
    First of all I'm not American. At all. Therefore it is not stimulating my economy in any way shape or form and to be brutal it is a bonafide drain on parents buying shoddy merchandise. However I do recognise that if they weren't here kids would just demand other junk. That will never change and that's not what I'm taking offence to.
    But claiming that HSM is lessening the effects of the credit crunch is... naive at best. Is the Disney corporation providing more liquid income and saving the American automotive industry? I don't think so. Your goverment, much like ours are having to implement bailouts to do it - with varying levels of success. And either way this is a different topic for another time and goes against the nature of the threads' point. It is an assessment into the effect of these types of programming on the youth of today.

And James, the purpose of this thread was to create some intelligent discussion. Which I believe is the purpose of ID.
    Spoiler:

Care to have a look at my WordPress Journal?

I didn't say that High School Musical was lessening the effects of the credit crunch. I said that it was helping the economy, which I don't think you can prove otherwise. As for draining parents, I suppose you could make the same argument about absolutely ANY product parents buy or children buy or adults buy or grandparents buy.

If you want an answer to the original question, then no, they aren't affronts. They're phases that children are going through just like Power Rangers, TMNT, and Furbi.

Sir Prize Hannah Montana and High School Musical are affronts to the civilized world. Discuss. Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It is all a frivolous thing for a frivolous nation. Harmful is stretching it. Fads hide within fads. And one particularly prevalent one is to, for whatever reason, look down upon a current pop culture fad. This is mainly due to saturation of an area with a particular fad... I.E...The mugs, key-chains, clothing line and Disney paraphernalia that churns out on store aisles to be bought by moms for their little ones.

Now, in defense of your argument...I've not come into contact with it much at all. I'm not in an environ that exposes me much to Hannah Montana. I can't claim to suffer from over-exposure. Most of the people around here, including the little ones are not particularly fond of any of it.

HOWEVER:

It is a grotesque thought that a sizable amount of today's youth are reared on cookie-cutter productions of such mediocre normalcy. It's nearly equatable with a type of conditioning that results in a frightening similarity between persons. I would consider that harmful...except for Martin's very good point that if it wasn't for this it would be something else.

There will always be a majority, a norm, a social standard...and from that, there will always be trends, fads and phenomenons. It's just simply the Tao of humanity.

-Sin

P.S. Oh...and I never liked Disney. They butcher literary works for hot extruded ticky-tacky held together with plaster of paris, papier-mache and plastic glue that comes in any flavor.

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Hannah Montana and High School Musical are affronts to the civilized world. Discuss. Jin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin
    And James, the purpose of this thread was to create some intelligent discussion. Which I believe is the purpose of ID.
    You're failing miserably. What intelligent discussion can this topic possibly produce? Your poorly concealed anti American sentiments aside, this thread has nothing to intelligently debate about. You dislike Disney's latest fad. Good for you. Unless you're attacking consumerism or media outright, this thread belongs in a forum devoted to media, not intellectual discussion. I consider every fad I don't like to be detrimental to society; that doesn't mean a rant about it belongs here. It's too bad the fad's over now, because I would have loved to have created an "intellectual discussion" about Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Govinda
    It makes my little cousins speak in American accents when they watch it, which I find disgusting.
    Then perhaps the United Kingdom ought to make some quality programming that they'd prefer to watch. I get PBS. Your country isn't free of dribble.
    Last edited by Jin; 01-07-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Until now!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    But it isn't really intelligent. We have had these discussions about the latest fads for years. And when it wasn't us, plenty of others have had it. It isn't just High School Musical, it was boy bands in the nineties and Pokemon.

Your rant offers nothing new. Pop culture will continue unabashed, and to complain about it is to complain endlessly.

I am reminded of a thread in General Chat. Spiral Architect, a 17 year old, had the gall to type the headline "What is wrong with kids these days?" and I had trouble taking him seriously. The thread ultimately was about something else than what I expected it to be, which would be closer to what your thread is, but the point remains the same.

Most of us have had the same crisis in our heads, but we get over it. One of the most important things we can do is to let the others live peacefully. We can't change their tastes. No matter what I do, my mother will not stop watching Trading Spouses and my brother will not stop watching MTV. We have to accept the cards we are dealt, and be thankful that our own vices are able to survive. Hannah Montana and High School Musical are not hurting anyone.

I am a bit surprised at you, Heather. From my gatherings, you have acknowledged that your homeland is full of the same elements that annoy those of us in the United States. If we want to blame anyone for anything, we need to remember that the boy bands of the 1990's became famous in Europe first before becoming big in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    It is a grotesque thought that a sizable amount of today's youth are reared on cookie-cutter productions of such mediocre normalcy. It's nearly equatable with a type of conditioning that results in a frightening similarity between persons. I would consider that harmful...except for Martin's very good point that if it wasn't for this it would be something else.

There will always be a majority, a norm, a social standard...and from that, there will always be trends, fads and phenomenons. It's just simply the Tao of humanity.
    Quoted for truth, lets take a look back though time:

Grease
    Dirty Dancing
    Thunder Cats
    Transformers of old
    Voltron
    Scooby-doo
    I love lucy
    Monty Python (see not all limited to the U.S)

These are just a few that came to mind at first. All where trndy for thier time, and some still are. People have spent god knows how much on standard merchandice so capitalist can make a few extra bucks and we the consumers are the suckers who fall for it, as where our parents and and the same could be said for theirs.

Leaving the T.V. / Movie world we could look through other genras of entertainment such as music (as somewhat noted by James D):

The Beetles
    Marliyn Manson
    Kiss
    Twisted Sister
    Ozzy
    The backstreet boys

The list could go on but I will stop with a few exaples. Trend setters come and go, that is a fact, but as long as people exploit the youth the circle will continue.

You're failing miserably.
    Apparently not, you got involved. And most of the post in this thread seem of the intelectual type. I personally think that it deserves a spot here, maybe with a diffent title though, trendseters maybe? Would that be suitable?
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Hannah Montana and High School Musical are affronts to the civilized world. Discuss. Jin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meier Link
    Apparently not, you got involved.
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize that me being involved was concrete evidence that the discussion at hand is intelligent. Really, I'm quite honoured you think so. All this time I thought I was just a sarcastic ass that liked to read his own posts, but now that you've brought it up, maybe my posting in a discussion does necessarily make it intelligent. Yeah, I think you're right. Isn't it odd though, given that, that I was not even nominated for most intelligent this year. Puzzling.

Vote Jin for most sarcastic.
    Last edited by Jin; 01-07-2009 at 11:13 PM.

Until now!

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    It's too bad the fad's over now, because I would have loved to have created an "intellectual discussion" about Pokemon.
    THE POKEMON FAD WILL NEVER DIE, DO EET!!!!!. Or for those into the games at any rate. I certainly still play my gameboy games and even enjoy some newer installments such as XD for gamecube which I play on my Wii. Good times...

My point? Make the thread Jin, you know you possibly might want to. Unless of course you don't. But still...

Quote Originally Posted by James D.
    But it isn't really intelligent. We have had these discussions about the latest fads for years. And when it wasn't us, plenty of others have had it. It isn't just High School Musical, it was boy bands in the nineties and Pokemon.
    According to some, none of ID is all that intellectual. I've begun to see this as general chat where you're expected to write at least a couple of sentences rather than just more than one line myself. Just roll with it, aye?
    Or make a new topic on something intellectual such as possible connections between loss of pubic hair and global warming. Or similar. BE CREATIVE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Meier Link
    Quoted for truth, lets take a look back though time:

Grease
    Dirty Dancing
    Thunder Cats
    Transformers of old
    Voltron
    Scooby-doo
    I love lucy
    Monty Python (see not all limited to the U.S)

These are just a few that came to mind at first. All where trndy for thier time, and some still are. People have spent god knows how much on standard merchandice so capitalist can make a few extra bucks and we the consumers are the suckers who fall for it, as where our parents and and the same could be said for theirs.
    I'm personally not all that caring about merchandise. If someone wants to wear a sample of what they've enjoyed, fine. Either way I'll still think someone who's bought everything in an overpriced tie-in line either rich, stupid or possibly even both. That or very smart if said items will possibly be rare and valuable at some point in time. I still kick myself for giving away my old pokemon cards. Some are worth a small fortune now...

Quote Originally Posted by Jin
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize that me being involved was concrete evidence that the discussion at hand is intelligent. Really, I'm quite honoured you think so. All this time I thought I was just a sarcastic ass that liked to read his own posts, but now that you've brought it up, maybe my posting in a discussion does necessarily make it intelligent. Yeah, I think you're right. Isn't it odd though, given that, that I was not even nominated for most intelligent this year. Puzzling.

Vote Jin for most sarcastic.
    You make the majority of us laugh our asses off. That's the main thing that counts really, isn't it? First person I haven't been able to thanks system twice due to the whole needing to spread it around before going back to the same person. Without humour, there'd just be text. Walls and walls of empty, likely mostly useless text I'd have no real interest in reading. Never change.
    victoria aut mors

Govinda
    The only reason I went all anti-US on this one is because the UK literally has nothing that holds equivalent power. They tried to make their own, Britannia High, and it was a complete failure. This is slightly annoying, but leads merely to the conclusion that sickly-sweet is the fad at the moment and that the UK is no good at reproducing it. Like I said, compare HMS to Grange Hill, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Maybe the next fad will originate here, or Japan, or who knows. But for now it's an American one. I don't think it's really an affront to the civilised world, but the reason it's concerning in the UK is because our country is not like yours, and nor would I wish it to be, yet kids are absorbing the Disney Channel and emo teenagers are hanging around in train stations talking about the fabled places in fabled America where you can go to a doughnut drive-in any hour of the day, and writing 'Bring Back Lucky Charms' on their Converse bags. A big part of the difference between American and, say, Japanese fads is that American fads are in our mother tongue. It's easy, accessible, and glitzy.

I don't like the idea of the 51st State, and things like HSM bring it closer. It's a kind of cultural xenophobia, simple as. American cultural hegemony since the war and all.
    Last edited by Govinda; 01-09-2009 at 12:52 AM.

That's democracy and globalization for you. If you bring the world closer together via television, movies and the dreaded youtube and allow people the freedom to choose, they'll pick the culture they enjoy more, whether it's that of their own country or not. I don't really think it's a bad thing, given the alternative of either closing the borders or not letting them choose. There's no point getting worried. It will pass, just as the British invasion passed in America. Besides, Britain isn't in that bad a position really. Canada's much worse. We're essentially "Americanized" until the words "hockey" or "health care" are brought up.

Besides, Alberta is the 51st state.

Until now!

the Unending Hannah Montana and High School Musical are affronts to the civilized world. Discuss. Nyghtwynd's Avatar
    SLightly on topic, I ahve found at my work a ripoff DVD called Sunday School Musical. I had a bit of a laugh about that one

Registered User Hannah Montana and High School Musical are affronts to the civilized world. Discuss. HUNK's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    (OF TOPIC) This I do not think is really ID but I guess the whole fad thing could count.

(ON TOPIC) Ok so HSM in my opinion was, well, just absolutly horrid. Now granted im not saying you should not watch it, I cant say that beacuse I myself have never seen it. Although I think these days we just live in a world that takes things to far.

This is just a fad but there will always be that rich, preppy society that will love these kinds of movies. There are some fads that I personally did like. For instance I belive that Meier brought up Grease and The Beatles. Now both of these fads were way before my time and I still like them to this very day. Henceforth, HSM may be loved for generations.(Although I think it would be terrible to see HSM level in KH...*Shuders*) I think I should ask some of the folks in the brotherhood if what their oppinions are of this matter. Perhaps not ID but still I think this kind of stuff is important.