Thread: Double Trouble: What Really Killed the Dinosaurs

Lightbulb Double Trouble: What Really Killed the Dinosaurs

Provided by http://www.livescience.com/animals/0...volcanoes.html

Hey guys, I'm sure almost all of you have read something in your old Science Textbooks about the Dinosaur age, and the great mystery surrounding their mysterious demise millions of years ago. The textbooks say a Meteor or something to that effect killed them all but this article suggests that Meteors wasn't their only cause of death.

Instead of being driven to extinction by death from above, dinosaurs might have ultimately been doomed by death from below in the form of monumental volcanic eruptions.

The suggestion is based on new research that is part of a growing body of evidence indicating a space rock alone did not wipe out the giant reptiles.

The Age of Dinosaurs ended roughly 65 million years ago with the K-T or Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction event, which killed off all dinosaurs except those that became birds, as well as roughly half of all species on the planet, including pterosaurs. The prime suspect in this ancient murder mystery is an asteroid or comet impact, which left a vast crater at Chicxulub on the coast of Mexico.

Another leading culprit is a series of colossal volcanic eruptions that occured between 63 million to 67 million years ago. These created the gigantic Deccan Traps lava beds in India, whose original extent may have covered as much as 580,000 square miles ( 1.5 million square kilometers ), or more than twice the area of Texas.

Arguments over which disaster killed the dinosaurs often revolve around when each happened and whether extinctions followed. Previous work had only narrowed the timing of the Deccan eruptions to within 300,000 to 500,000 years of the extinction event.

New research suggests the mass extinction happened at or just after the biggest phase of the Deccan eruptions, which spewed 80% of the lava found at the Deccan Traps.

"It's the first time we can directly link the main phase of the Deccan Traps to the mass extinction," said Princeton University Paleontologist Gerta Keller.

What do you guys think of this? I think Volcanic activity may have played a part in the exinction of the Dinosaurs along with a Meteor that crashed down on the planet killing them for good.
    Originally Posted by Hellfire
    Who the hell are you? .... .... .... ....well, good luck with that.

XD. This quote screams post me in your sig!

Check out my FFVII Walkthrough, by first EVER walkthrough! I'm PhantomTFF on IGN and Tairyo on Gamefaqs.

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/946/946197p1.html

Courtesy of IGN and Gamefaqs. ^^

Yugioh and Yugioh GX Fanboy <---

Check out my Youtube Homepage!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Made4542

If you like homemade Final Fantasy and Pokemon walkthrough vids with a unique flair, be sure to Subscribe to Made4542 (Me).

I am Ol' Fartsy and I said So! Double Trouble: What Really Killed the Dinosaurs Ol' Fartsy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There are alot of theories about how the dinosaurs died. But if there is any evidence in what really killed them, I would like to see it.
    My lovely Niece: ekimeinna

Follow Me

SPOILER!!:
    Yosemite Winter wonderland

Destiny Lives![/center]

Double Trouble: What Really Killed the Dinosaurs Calcifer's Avatar
    Theres alot of different theories as to what killed them, and they all come with their own proof to back it up so we can't really be sure. But it's scary to think the same can and probably will happen to use because of what we are doing to the earth. wee

I am Ol' Fartsy and I said So! Double Trouble: What Really Killed the Dinosaurs Ol' Fartsy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Here is my far-fetched theory: The dinosaurs survived a meteor crash that sent the earth into a atmosphere and then the dinosaurs started to die and the "cavemen" came and ate the dinosaurs for a very long time.
    My lovely Niece: ekimeinna

Follow Me

SPOILER!!:
    Yosemite Winter wonderland

Destiny Lives![/center]

Here's what I think happened:

120 million years ago, there was a terrible war. It was Dino on Dino action. Secret Death Squads were unleashed upon the herbivore population, reducing their numbers from in the millions to 0.

Then the carnivores realized the gravity of their mistakes and started to eat each other in order to survive. After a period of five years, there were but a handful of the strongest dinosaurs alive, all of whom were male. There was nothing the dinosaurs could do.

So, they started killing each other just for the sake of killing. Until the biggest T-Rex remained.
    He had no one else to speak to, and became extremely lonely.

So he threw himself off the highest cliff, because no one wants to be the last of their kind.
    Last edited by Cunnning Stunts; 12-19-2007 at 06:48 PM.

Personally, I feel aliens killed the dinosaurs so that they could seed Earth with a docile, slave-population that would multiply over a few millenia and be retaken back to the mother planet for an eternity of hardship and toil.
    [Today 2:38 AM] Lord Kaos: Police report on their IPs?
    [Today 2:39 AM] Kit Fisto: im going to kill him now.
    [Today 2:39 AM] Koloth: I tried to check IPs... but the asshole is probably using proxies
    [Today 2:39 AM] Kit Fisto: brb im off to kill them both.
    [Today 2:39 AM] Lady Aerith: and I don't have the power to IP ban either...

well an intellectual answer i think that the meteor may have caused the volcanic eruptions...it hit the earths surface with such force that it may have caused the volcanoes to errupt...you never know what could have happened until the invent a time machine.

#LOCKE4GOD Double Trouble: What Really Killed the Dinosaurs Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I heard a theory once (by 'heard' I mean there was a geology lecture on this that I wasn't listening in), that massive volcanic events occurring at lithospheric 'lips' (tbh I don't really understand this, save to say they're massive eruptions that have occurred very rarely throughout the geologic record) could pump enough debris into the atmosphere to block the sun and stunt plant growth, thus cutting the food supply. The meteorite impact in the Yucatan peninsular is a scientific fact. In all likelihood, it would take a crap load of bad luck to wipe the dominant race of creatures off the face of the planet, so it probably involved both, maybe related, maybe coincidental.

Shake it like a polaroid picture Double Trouble: What Really Killed the Dinosaurs RagnaToad's Avatar
    yo momm cause she dsad onethem