Thread: Current Events

#LOCKE4GOD Current Events Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Current Events

This has been a long time coming (cf. ID Topic Suggestions thread), and for that I apologise. With Christmas (which = ridiculous amount of time spent at work) and summer, I've spent very little time on the Internet, and when I am, it's usually via my iPod.

This thread was suggested by DragonHeart, if my memory serves me correctly. It is a place to post a link to a recent news item, and write a stream of consciousness about it. Post any news event you wish, and just state your thoughts on it. It can be something you find funny, confusing, disgusting, enraging, interesting... and so on.

You post without the expectation of anyone replying to your thoughts, but anyone is free to pick up the same news item and let their views be heard.

Normal forum rules apply, and just use a bit of common sense about the news items you link here, and we'll all be happy.

-------------------------------------------------

I have the luxury of going first. I am going to look at the latest developments around the research of Andrew Wakefield, who carried out a 1998 study in which he claimed there was a link between the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine and autism and intestinal conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europe/2011/01/2011166455504737.html

British Medical Journal (BMJ) said on Wednesday that in a 1998 paper by Dr. Andrew Wakefield and colleagues committed an "elaborate fraud" by faking data linking the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) shot to autism.

Andrew Wakefield said that the BMJ report was a smear campaign by powerful pharmaceutical companies, in an interview late on Wednesday with CNN.

"It's a ruthless pragmatic attempt to crush any investigation into valid vaccine safety concerns," Wakefield said.

He said that pharmaceutical companies were undertaking the campaign because "they are very, very concerned about the adverse reactions to vaccines that are occurring in children."

The 1998 study convinced thousands of parents that vaccines are dangerous and led them to skip the doses. Immunisation rates have never climbed back to their rate before Wakefield's research.

It is blamed for ongoing outbreaks of measles and mumps.

The conclusions of the paper by Wakefield and his colleagues was renounced by 10 of its 13 authors and later retracted by the medical journal Lancet, where it was originally published.
    I feel strongly on this issue, and support Wakefield, despite whatever we are being told by governments, other researchers, and pharmaceutical companies. I say this because my own brother was developing normally until he was 18 months of age, when he received MMR, and was then diagnosed with autism. Fast forward fourteen more years, and he has a intestinal condition that meant he and my parents saw in the new year, and its first week, in the hospital.

I read the Plunket book regarding my brother's development (I'm not sure what these are called elsewhere -- the little books in which parents keep notes of doctor's check-ups of their infant children, and their immunisations and so on). Every check-up my brother had until he had his MMR vaccine concluded by saying that he was advancing at or above the expected rate. He was engaged with people, he was learning to talk.

When he got the MMR vaccine, he changed literally overnight. He was able to tell my parents and the doctor "I sick", and we took him to hospital. That would be the last thing he ever said, and his mental age has remained the same ever since. He is now 16, unable to talk (only able to make sounds), and lacking understanding of everything that is not within his routine.

Officially, he is diagnosed with autism and severe intellectual disability, and has had a raft of other health conditions, the most severe being his intestinal condition that basically renders him unable to digest independently (there are interventions we perform on him, but none are completely satisfactory, and he can be expected to go into hospital every six months in a lot of pain).

His reaction to MMR is incredibly rare -- we understand that. It is so so unlikely to happen to anybody else, that we do NOT recommend to other people to avoid the MMR vaccine. The risks posed by the various diseases it protects from far outweigh the risk from reaction.

However for there to still be a complete denial of any link between MMR and autism is a slap in the face of my brother, and my family. It is a fraud. As far as I can understand, there are several motives for hiding and denying the link.

First, the government does not want people rejecting the MMR vaccine. I understand this desire in the interests of public health, and is why I will still be definitely be immunising my future children.

Second, the pharmaceutical companies have a lot to lose from people avoiding MMR. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of conflicts of interest in the research that concludes in favour of MMR.

The problem with the denial in relationship is that it precludes honest research into the causes of the reaction. Is it genetic? If so, will my own children be likely to react to MMR? I need this information, so I can make an informed decision about immunisation -- but as long as I am cast as a crazy man, I will never find out. I just seek honesty.

-------------------------------------------------

This thread could be GC. There is no reason why you can't just say ten words on anything you fancy -- it's not an essay, and it's not a competition. Just a fountain of thought. I placed it in ID as it came about as an ID suggestion.

That said: have fun.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-07-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: Current Events

Here's something interesting to witness, in my opinion anyways: a new nation being born. Southern Sudan, predominantly Christian, is breaking away from the Muslim north. The vote happened barely a week ago; I haven't looked to see if the numbers are in, but the article seemed optimistic.

Sadly, my knowledge of the area is vague at best; I know it's a very poor country and Sudanese piracy is rampant on the coast. And of course, Darfur, the western part of Sudan, which will remain a part of the north and is not affected by Southern Sudan's secession.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

.............. Current Events smurphy's Avatar

Re: Immunisation and the withholding of info by pharmaceutical companies. I find it ironic that companies that are making products whose sole purpose is to cure or prevent disease may be withholding info on their products which states that these products may have side effects and are the source of diseases in certain individuals. Though it has been a long time since I expected any hint of decency from big corporations. The news comes as no surprise. Immunisation is still the best alternative we have against diseases. No more smallpox and polio has nearly been destoyed. But it is unfortunate to hear of such drastic side effects.

Re: Independence for Southern Sudan. It is quite nice to see how smoothly the secession is going considering the recent brutal civil war. Hopefully there wont be a repeat when Khartoum regret letting the oil rich region secede. And it is interesting to note that southern Sudan is one of the poorest regions on earth despite being a fertile oil production region. They may now get the benefit of that instead of the greedy gov in Khartoum.
    Historically secession has usually been followed by civil war. Such examples include the American civil war, Irish civil war and Korean war. In this day and age, South Sudan should be the exception to the rule.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    Winston S.Churchill

Blog Entries

So, Egypt. Anyone else following the news lately? A lot going on with this right now. The internet and cell phones have been turned off in the entire country. Protests, demonstrations, looting. Tanks in the streets. 50,000 demonstrators in Tahir square, Cairo. At least 100 dead.

The army made a statement that they would not use violence against civilians. In fact, they are being asked to join the people and help get rid of Mubarak and his regime.

From the discussions I've heard and read, if Mubarak leaves that may be good for Egypt but perhaps not so good in terms of US relations. Mubarak would leave a vacuum that would likely be filled by the Muslim Brotherhood.

I'm going to be reading up on this a bit as I can, hopefully I will have some good links to put up. In the meantime, pretty much every news agency is running stories about Egypt so it's easy to check up on.

~DragonHeart~

Bass Player Extraordinaire Current Events Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonHeart View Post
    So, Egypt. Anyone else following the news lately? A lot going on with this right now. The internet and cell phones have been turned off in the entire country. Protests, demonstrations, looting. Tanks in the streets. 50,000 demonstrators in Tahir square, Cairo. At least 100 dead.

The army made a statement that they would not use violence against civilians. In fact, they are being asked to join the people and help get rid of Mubarak and his regime.

From the discussions I've heard and read, if Mubarak leaves that may be good for Egypt but perhaps not so good in terms of US relations. Mubarak would leave a vacuum that would likely be filled by the Muslim Brotherhood.

I'm going to be reading up on this a bit as I can, hopefully I will have some good links to put up. In the meantime, pretty much every news agency is running stories about Egypt so it's easy to check up on.

~DragonHeart~
    From what I've heard, the Muslim Brotherhood has stated that they don't want to do anything that may jeopardize the protests, and are merely taking a participatory role rather than a leading one. Whether that means they have an active interest in power, I don't know, however I'm inclined to believe that democratic election will take place if/when Mubarak leaves.

Honestly, I think that anytime a people exercise their right to protest and assemble, that it's a wonderful thing. Especially considering that the people are demanding the right to a democratic election to remove their corrupt leaders.

As far as looting goes, that seems to be limited to a minority, and the army has moved in to attempt to stop that. I also recall early reports that the protesters had formed a human chain around the museum of antiquities to try and kick the looters out, so take that for what you will.
    (TFF Family):

My TFF Family:
    My Anime Addicted sister Athna Loveil
    My Unspoken Scabbia Loving Bro Fishie
    My Godsmack addicted brother Omega Weapon
    My Kooky Soap opera addicted sister Rikkuffx
    My Kinky Chipmunk Cousin Unknown Entity, because, you know, cousins can still do stuff in certain states.
    My Twin-like bro Ruin_Tumult
    Craven
    Slots still available, PM to join!

Blog Entries

It's definitely a good thing. I've also seen it said that social media is actually having a definable influence in both this and the recent Tunisia uprising. The internet is making it very difficult for corrupt leaders to stay in power because people can both see them for what they really are and organize themselves faster than the governments can put them down.

I wonder if this isn't the start of a kind of domino effect. It will definitely be interesting to watch.

~DragonHeart~

Blog Entries

I don't think the US needs to fear the Muslim Brotherhood. For one, they've consistently advocated for non-violence throughout the protests (which puts them up my credibility ladder). In an election, they'd likely win a majority, given most Egyptians are Muslim. If you oppose that, you effectively support Mubarak, and oppose democracy and freedom of religion, although I suppose you could argue against it on secularist grounds.

What I'm waiting on the media to really challenge is the (primarily) US aid Mubarak has been receiving for years. No surprises that he supports Israel. The Muslim Brotherhood does not, and an election, let's hope there is one, would probably bring about interesting geopolitical shifts that would favour a Palestinian state.
    Last edited by Alpha; 02-01-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Blog Entries

I never said I didn't support democracy or freedom of religion, cause I do, always have and always will. What I was intending to point out was what you just mentioned, that we (as in the government) have been supporting Mubarak for years.

As I say every time I talk about something like this, I only know the surface details.

El Baradei is being backed by the MB, according to the news I was just watching.

It also sounds like today may well be a decisive one.

Google's pitching in to help people get around internet and cell phone restrictions. In addition, many people are turning to Tor to be able to use what little internet access can be found.

~DragonHeart~

.............. Current Events smurphy's Avatar

What would be one of the most interesting aspects of circumstances in Egypt as Alpha touched on is what happens to the situation in the middle east if a reactionary government come to power and what their attitude towards Israel is. It is worth pointing out that since Mubarak has been in power there hasnt been a conflict in the region on a comparable scale to the Yom Kippur war for example.
    If the Muslim Brotherhood turn out to be nowhere as pious as they currently make out to be and take the same attitude towards Israel as the rest of Israels neighbours there could be bloodshed on a huge scale within a matter of years. And the peace movement in the middle east is set back 40 years.
    One must also take into account that before these revolts in North Africa as recently as a month ago christian communities within Egypt have been targets of terrorist attacks. Are these developments going to solve or hinder the situation in your opinion?
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    Winston S.Churchill

Blog Entries

@DragonHeart: I perhaps should have said "one", not "you". The post wasn't aimed at anyone.

@Smurphy: A peaceful resolution to the Israel-Palestine situation is unlikely, as much as I despise war. Israel refuses to compromise, and exasperation and rage in neighbouring countries looks justified.

Regarding the attacks on Christians in North Africa, as far as Egypt goes, they certainly weren't state sanctioned. If anything, a democratic Egypt would reduce violence, as the Christian minority demands action by its representatives. Moreover, I'd expect the Muslim Brotherhood to be a secular like Turkey or Indonesia, and not another Saudi Arabia or Iran, or at least that is the word I'm receiving in the press, and I see no reason to doubt it.

I'm interested in what happens to the price of oil if the instability spreads east, especially to Saudi Arabia.

I also think the situation in many ways bears an uncanny resemblance to South America in decades past -- US Government-supported dictatorial regimes. Of course the motivations differ; Communism isn't to be feared here. Rather, "radical Islam", and probably oil too, although natural resources figured prominently in the interventions in South America too.

-----------------

Cyclone Yasi is currently occupying my mind: Queensland faces 24 hrs of terror - World - NZ Herald News

They haven't even recovered from the last extreme weather event (flooding), which was devastating, and indications are that this one will be worse.

I don't have any friends or family living in Queensland, but my girlfriend does, including her mother's twin and her father's sister. The thoughts of my entire country are really with them right now.

It's interesting to note how frequently strong storms are occurring in Queensland, and to extrapolate even further into the future, when climate change reaches new extremes. It's certainly worrying.

--------

One more thing. The date for the 2011 New Zealand general election has been announced: 26 November. Not that anyone here will care, but I'm super excited, and things are already looking good (from my perspective ):
    Attached Images Attached Images Current Events-2011-election-jpg 
    Last edited by Alpha; 02-02-2011 at 12:37 AM.

Blog Entries

Arabic Uprisings; Natural Disaster

What does everyone think of the on-going Arabic uprisings?

Looks like Libya's Gaddafi is next, thank God.

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/sites/def...mages/kick.jpg

I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks of intervention? Should the UN, the Arab League, or Western powers (NATO, or perhaps a US-led coalition) intervene to prevent violence, topple governments?

Personally, no I don't support intervention, apart from the humanitarian kind, and only from the UN. These protests are perfect examples of what Iraq could have been without intervention, without invasion. It is an example of peaceful people power, where the military cannot justify force. We saw it in Egypt: the army refused to fire on crowds of people who consisted of their friends, family and fellow Egyptians. We are seeing it in Libya, with (disparate) sections of the military defecting, rather than supporting Gaddafi. I heard today of bombers who flew to a neighbouring country (forget which one), rather than following orders - orders to bomb civilians.

Long live the Jasmine Revolution!

-------------------------------------------

In more local news for me, there has been a devastating earthquake in Christchurch, NZ, about six hours ago. It was 6.3 on the Richter scale, but very shallow, and the epicentre was very close to the CBD. To make it worse, it struck at about 1pm, when people were at lunch, at school, and at work - that is separated. The damage is worse than the 7.3 earthquake that struck the same city in September 2010, because that one was deeper, further away, and struck at 4am, when families were together in the suburbs.

Iconic buildings have collapsed. There are reports of two buses being crushed. Whole office buildings have tumbled. The sewerage system has failed, and water is undrinkable. So far, 65 confirmed deaths, without much rubble being cleared at all.

Devastating.

http://www.mkiwi.com/New+Zealand+pic...athedral+1.jpg

http://images.brisbanetimes.com.au/2...420c-420x0.jpg

Should point out that there are actually bodies in that rubble. People were in the spire when it collapsed.

Christchurch, New Zealand, Earthquake Pictures, Photos

It's sobering:

Last edited by Alpha; 02-22-2011 at 02:31 PM.

I do what you can't. Current Events Sasquatch's Avatar

Wow, looks like Australia and New Zealand are taking a beating this year. Hope they can clean up and recover quickly. Condolences to the families.

Living in Wisconsin (well, kind of), there's a lot of things going on with the Governor right now. His latest budget bill has included many restrictions on the state employees' union -- namely, increasing personal contributions to health insurance and pensions (though they woud still pay about half and two-thirds what the average private employee does, respectively), and taking away collective bargaining. This is a big step forward for the state of Wisconsin. Not only will it let the state save three hundred million dollars every year, but also, by showing unions that they will not be bullied, Wisconsin will attract more business, which will in turn create more jobs, draw more taxes, and increase the standard of living throughout the entire state. Kudos to you, Scott Walker. You just made a lot of enemies by doing the right thing. And state Democrats have thrown a bitch-fit and just up and left, so Republicans are pushing a vote on a bill that would require people to show IDs before voting (because Democrats, since they gain quite a few votes by illegal aliens, would show up to vote against it). I say just let them stay gone -- if you want to leave your job when something you don't like happens, you don't deserve to come back.

As for Egypt, and now Libya ... awesome. Iraq would not have done the same thing -- everybody in power followed the same script, which was how they got into power under Saddam anyway, and when your government has a history of brutally slaughtering thousands of its own people at a time, one tends to not protest much. But now to Arab Muslim countries, plagued for decades by Islamic extremism, are overthrowing their own government, without much of a push by outside entities. Good for them. This has spread out of Egypt, maybe it will spread further into the Middle East. Hell, you never know -- we might end up seeing Arab Muslim nations that want something other than the extinction of all Jews. Maybe.

Sig courtesy of Plastik Assassin.

Greater love hath no man than this; that he lay down his life for his friends.
    John 15:13

Blog Entries

Has anyone read Anon's Open Letter to the World? Thoughts?

Open Letter To The World

We stand at a unique time in our history, the rise of the internet and computer technology have contributed to an unparalleled rate of prosperity for the First World.

We have created for ourselves and empire unlike any other, a global network of constant trade and communication, a new age of technological advancement. We have come a long way from our humble roots in the Industrial Revolution and the days of Manifest Destiny. We are now pioneers on new digital frontiers expanding our domain from the quantum world to the far reaches of space.

And yet, the empire faces a crisis, a global recession, growing poverty, rampant violence, corruption in politics, and threats to personal freedom. As it was before in other times of crisis, the old stories have begun to repeat themselves. The half truths, this time repeated nightly on cable news and echoed through a series of tubes onto the internet: the empire is strong, change is unwise, business as usual is the answer. In times of uncertainty there are those who seek to add to the confusion, to prey on our insecurities and fears. Those who would seek to keep us divided for their own gain. The pervasive strategy takes many very convincing forms: Liberals and Conservatives, Christians and Muslims, Black and White, Saved and sinner.

But something unexpected is happening. We have begun telling each other our own stories. Sharing our lives, our hopes, our dreams, our demons. Every second, day in day out, into all hours of the night the gritty details of life on this earth are streaming around the world. As we see the lives of others played out in our living rooms we are beginning to understand the consequences of our actions and the error of the old ways. We are questioning the old assumptions that we are made to consume not to create, that the world was made for our taking, that wars are inevitable, that poverty is unavoidable. As we learn more about our global community a fundamental truth has been rediscovered: We are not so different as we may seem. Every human has strengths, weaknesses, and deep emotions. We crave love, love laughter, fear being alone and dream for a better life.

You must create a better life.

You cannot sit on the couch watching television or playing video games, waiting for a revolution. You are the revolution. Every time you decide not to exercise your rights, every time you refuse to hear another view point, every time you ignore the world around you, every time you spend a dollar at a business that doesn't pay a fair wage you are contributing to the oppression of the human body and the repression of the human mind. You have a choice, a choice to take the easy path, the familiar path, to walk willingly into your own submission. Or a choice get up, to go outside and talk to your neighbor, to come together in new forums to create lasting, meaningful change for the human race.

This is our challenge:

A peaceful revolution, a revolution of ideas, a revolution of creation. The twenty-first century enlightenment. A global movement to create a new age of tolerance and understanding, empathy and respect. An age of unfettered technological development. An age of sharing ideas and cooperation. An age of artistic and personal expression. We can choose to use new technology for radical positive change or let it be used against us. We can choose to keep the internet free, keep channels of communication open and dig new tunnels into those places where information is still guarded. Or we can let it all close in around us. As we move in to new digital worlds, we must acknowledge the need for honest information and free expression. We must fight to keep the internet open as a marketplace of ideas where all are seated as equals. We must defend our freedoms from those who would seek to control us. We must fight for those who do not yet have a voice. Keep telling your story. All must be heard.
    source: AnonNews.org : Everything Anonymous

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys