Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Fanatics Club v2

Dragoon Anime Fanatics Club v2 TigermusiQ's Avatar
    Devon, UK (Inside a Zone-eater as it's very roomy and rent-free)

Re: Anime Fanatics Club v2

Wow, I think I'll pass. I recognise one of those and I don't even know who it is lol.

Oh, and sorry I though it was further back or on another thread (trying to do homework, watch a film, TFF and I've also had a glass of wine which makes multi tasking for me, a no.)
    Last edited by TigermusiQ; 03-28-2010 at 01:58 PM.
    ------

I call out these prayers to the sky, heavy with thought, see your face.
    I carry these memories inside, thoughts of a soul colored by love.
    See me grow wings and fly high, passions will die down below.
    I burn in a basin of fire, watchers look on as they dance in their merciless sky.
    Watching me, watching you.

Sephiroth's Girl Anime Fanatics Club v2 sephirothsbigfan's Avatar

sorry for the mix up pm message but aventure is fine with me i love aventure games and anime
    (i thought saw action on the list so i picked that i didn't know it wasn't an actual answer to pick my bad )
    Last edited by sephirothsbigfan; 03-31-2010 at 10:42 AM.

I am Sephiroth's girl! We will rule over you! Challenge this couple if you dare!

Go with me, Exkaizer~ Anime Fanatics Club v2 Treize's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sephirothsbigfan View Post
    sorry for the mix up pm message but aventure is fine with me i love aventure games and anime
    (i thought saw action on the list so i picked that i didn't know it wasn't an actual answer to pick my bad )
    It's fine. I like how I said send me a PM back, but you posted anyway. I said that, so that there wouldn't be more bias than there needed to be, but I guess I doesn't matter anymore.

I guess while I'm here I'll announce the topic for the month of April. It's pretty much an overwhelming majority towards adventure. Even if the people who didn't vote, all voted for the same thing, adventure would still win.

I think that I am just going to start the discussion today, since we aren't really doing anything right now, and in the old club we didn't even discuss an anime for the full week.

I'm hoping that a lot of you have at least heard of the anime that I pick, but if you haven't then it is a good opportunity to check out some good anime. Also, if anyone thinks that they have a good anime that they would like to discuss, send me a PM or post here with your idea. I'm probably only going to pick anime that I have seen because then I would know if they are any good or not, but I haven't seen every anime, so there are probably some great anime out there that I'm missing out on.

Anyway, the first anime that we are going to discuss is Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, TRC, ツバサ・クロニクル, or whatever else you want to call it.

Here is the wiki article.

Here's the description for those that are too lazy to go to the wiki article.

During an excavation at the mysterious ruins in Clow Country, Syaoran discovers his childhood friend Princess Sakura appear on the site with wings that disperse into many feathers. As the feather’s disappear to different dimensions, so does Sakura’s memory. In attempts to save Sakura’s life and restore her memory, Syaoran travels through to another world to find a solution. There’s only one thing left he can do. Travel through to different dimensions to collect Sakura’s feathers. Helping out with the quest is Kurogane, an exiled ninja from Japan Country who wishes to return to his world, the runaway magician, Fay, who desires to jump between each world never to return to his own and the white meat-bun shaped creature, Mokona.

So, what are your opinions about this anime. You can discuss both the anime and the manga here, but
    REMEMBER TO USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN NECESSARY!

Also, if people want, I could post a generic outline for things to write, but I figured I would leave it more open ended, especially since this is our first anime.

(Side note: I found out that "Magic Kaito" will only be a special. I was looking forward to this more because Kaito Kid seems like a cool character, and there was a manga out for it, but I guess this is all we are going to get.)

(Side note II: Remember that the character guessing contest is still going on. I'm sorry, but nobody has done very well so far, so don't be afraid to give it a shot. You may win!)
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

Memento Rhapso Anime Fanatics Club v2 Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This sounds like a very interesting anime and I'll need to look into it.
    When was this produced/written? Sounds like DragonBallZ copied it, no?

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

Quote Originally Posted by RhapsoBlarg View Post
    This sounds like a very interesting anime and I'll need to look into it.
    When was this produced/written? Sounds like DragonBallZ copied it, no?
    DBZ is a lot older. Tsubasa Chronicle was started in 2003. Also, I don't think it is like DBZ... at all.

Tsubasa Chronicle has a better story, more developed characters (albeit reused characters from different stories), and better art IMO. Maybe their only similarity would be that they are both looking for something? (Dragonballs in DBZ and Sakura's feathers in TRC)

You should really check it out. IMO it is much better than DBZ, and it is very enjoyable. The first two seasons aren't the greatest adaptions of the manga, but they are still good, and the OVA is great. I haven't gotten to the second OVA yet, but I hear that it is also pretty good.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

Dragoon Anime Fanatics Club v2 TigermusiQ's Avatar
    Devon, UK (Inside a Zone-eater as it's very roomy and rent-free)

Hmmm. Clow, Sakura? Does this have anything to do with Cardcaptors? (Just figure may be some sort of spinoff as Clow cards and main charater of that was Sakura)
    Also never even heard of but hope is good. (I dont think I'd be able to discuss as no money to buy and laptop puny)
    ------

I call out these prayers to the sky, heavy with thought, see your face.
    I carry these memories inside, thoughts of a soul colored by love.
    See me grow wings and fly high, passions will die down below.
    I burn in a basin of fire, watchers look on as they dance in their merciless sky.
    Watching me, watching you.

Quote Originally Posted by TigermusiQ View Post
    Hmmm. Clow, Sakura? Does this have anything to do with Cardcaptors? (Just figure may be some sort of spinoff as Clow cards and main charater of that was Sakura)
    Also never even heard of but hope is good. (I dont think I'd be able to discuss as no money to buy and laptop puny)
    Yes. The characters from Card Captor Sakura are reused in Tsubasa Chronicle. The two main characters from Card Captor Sakura, Syaoran and Sakura, are the main characters in Tsubasa Chronicle too, but they are several years older. Their personalities aren't really that similar, but they share similar character designs.

If you are a fan of CLAMP, the mangaka that created Tsubasa Chronicle, Chobits, Card Captor Sakura, etc., you will notice that a lot of their characters from previous manga will appear again in Tsubasa Chronicle. In the past few years they've liked to reuse characters for some reason, so you'll find that some characters are new, but others are preexisting characters from one of their other works. There are also a lot of references to their other works. It isn't necessary to have read any other of their manga, but it is kind of cool to catch the allusions.

I'm surprised that the first two people who replied haven't even heard of TRC. I thought that TRC was one of the most popular manga out there. It is probably one of if not my favorite manga, and the anime isn't bad either.
    TFF Family:

Whistling Songbird Anime Fanatics Club v2 Asectic's Avatar

I havent read the whole manga but its okay

Why? Just because when Syaoran made the deal to the woman "In return for her life i'll be taking her memories about you two"
    Which kinda made me frink at her. But I'm supposing that's a good thing. Makes the story more interesting.

What i just dont get is why Sakura had those wings in the first place. In the manga i dont think they explained it well enough in the beginnning. :/

But otherwise, I found it to be okay. I mean, who didn't love Syaoran's bratty attitude in Cardcaptor sakura show?

"Because I obviously haven't been on here for a while"
    - Said no one ever, 02/2020

>>>:

Oh hey there, thanks for opening! Here is a little section filled with my goodies here and there.

TIMELINE - Before 2019:

The Awesome Peeps (TFF Family):

Moogable
    Bleachfangirl
    Ekimeinna
    Treize
    Rocky
    Tiger Lily
    Unknown Entity
    FF Ace Cid-Silver
    Raider
    Secret Weapon

TIMELINE - 2020 and Onwards:

Music of the Week:
    Ginzen no Kaze (English Cover) - Jayn

Links:
    My DeviantArt Account

"It was nice meeting you!"
    - Said a second nobody ever~

Quote Originally Posted by Treize View Post
    (Side note: I found out that "Magic Kaito" will only be a special. I was looking forward to this more because Kaito Kid seems like a cool character, and there was a manga out for it, but I guess this is all we are going to get.)
    You gotta be kidding me ;O;" I was looking forward to a SERIES not a SPECIAL ._. Damn it, Kaito Kid was the very very best character of the Conan-series... ;o;

@TRC:
    I read the first... 30 chapters, but then suddenly stopped. It wasn't that bad, but I read CCS before reading it, and I read xxxHolic at the same time. Both xxxHolic AND CCS were WAY better than TRC. ^^""""

As for the anime... In Kobato the three boys (Syaoran, Kurogane and Fye) also appeared. I hated Kuro's voice and I defeinitely hated Fye's and Syaoran's voice. XD""" So I'll probably never ever watch the anime. EVER! >_<"

Besides, cute little Sakura of CCS was soo~ cute >//< And she hardly ever appeared in TRC.... ._."

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    You gotta be kidding me ;O;" I was looking forward to a SERIES not a SPECIAL ._. Damn it, Kaito Kid was the very very best character of the Conan-series... ;o;
    Yeah, I heard that the special is only going to be based on the first chapter of the manga. The manga was started over 20 years ago, so they should at least animate the four volumes that are out. <_<

@TRC:
    I read the first... 30 chapters, but then suddenly stopped. It wasn't that bad, but I read CCS before reading it, and I read xxxHolic at the same time. Both xxxHolic AND CCS were WAY better than TRC. ^^""""

As for the anime... In Kobato the three boys (Syaoran, Kurogane and Fye) also appeared. I hated Kuro's voice and I defeinitely hated Fye's and Syaoran's voice. XD""" So I'll probably never ever watch the anime. EVER! >_<"
    =O I thought that TRC was WAY better than xxxHolic and CCS! xxxHolic and CCS are both great, but I think that xxxHolic's main plot is kind of boring at times, and CCS is too much of a children's manga/anime (especially the US version!).

Maybe you just haven't gotten far enough. lol The manga/anime gets better after Sakura regains conciousness, and from what I've seen from the OVA, it looks like it gets great later on when the main plot starts to move on. I think that's at least after the first 100 chapters, though.

I thought that Syaoran and Sakura's voices were perfect. Kuro's and Fye's are debatable at certain points, but I think they represent the characters pretty well.

Besides, cute little Sakura of CCS was soo~ cute >//< And she hardly ever appeared in TRC.... ._."
    I like her character design so much more in TRC. Actually I think that almost everything is drawn better in TRC than in CCS. I think CLAMP perfected their art over the years between CCS and TRC. (I heard that they switched roles for who did the character designs, though, but I like the ones in TRC a lot more.

Sakura is the main character in TRC, so she appears a lot! You just have to wait until she regains consciousness, but that doesn't take too long. I'm almost positive that she is present in every episode of the anime too. I'm guessing that her role is going to increase more towards the end of the manga too.

@Athna Loveil

I'm guessing that that's revealed later in the manga. I haven't finished the manga yet (actually I'm pretty far behing), so I'm hoping that a lot of things are explained later. There are just so many mysteries about what is going on, and after the first OVA, there are even more mysteries than before, so there has to be some explanations to come. It's CLAMP, so I'm betting that the ending is pretty good too, even though I haven't read it yet.
    TFF Family:

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Anime Fanatics Club v2 Xanatos's Avatar

It's been a while since I watched Tsubasa Chronicles, few years I think, I bought the first season and honestly I regret buying it even today. Can't give you my final though on this since I didn't get to watch the entire anime and sorry if I don't share the same enthusiasm as you Treize but I found this anime to be rather week, maybe it gets better later on.

I'm surprised that the first two people who replied haven't even heard of TRC. I thought that TRC was one of the most popular manga out there. It is probably one of if not my favorite manga, and the anime isn't bad either.
    I'm not really sure how popular is Tsubasa Chronicles, one thing I'm sure of is that I've heard about it even before I started to read manga, that's one of the main reason why I decided to buy the first season of anime.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

I guess no one really liked TRC. Maybe the next anime will be more popular...

The next anime is Kino's Journey.

Here's the wiki page: LINK

Here's the summary: Kino's Journey employs the time-honored motif of the road trip as a vehicle for self-discovery and universal truth. Deeply meditative and cooler than zero, the series follows the existential adventures of a goggle-clad hipster Kino along with talking motorcycle Hermes as they travel the world and learn much about themselves in the process. Imaginative, thought-provoking, and sometimes disturbing, Kino's journey is documented in an episodic style with an emphasis on atmosphere rather than action or plot, though still prevalent.

I liked this series. I think that it is pretty different from most anime I watch because there isn't really much of a plot, and it is more of an anime that makes you think. As a side note, Kino should be a guy. I was taken aback when I found out that Kino was actually a girl. I guess it is part of the central plot, but it was still a little startling.

Has anyone else seen this one, and if so, what are your opinions about it?

EDIT: Also, the deadline for the contest is coming up. If anyone else wants to participate, there isn't much time left. I thought that everyone would at least be able to get ten of the characters right. Right now, you only have to guess 1/3 of them correctly to win. Not even half of the members participated either... =/
    Last edited by Treize; 04-05-2010 at 08:19 PM.
    TFF Family:

i heard of it but never watched it

I am Sephiroth's girl! We will rule over you! Challenge this couple if you dare!

Death Before Dishonor Anime Fanatics Club v2 Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It has been a while since I checked this thread. I have been very busy, but I am taking a few days off so.

Kino's Journey. It is actually on my list of anime's to watch. It was recomended to me a few days ago by a kid foregin exchange student who I graduated wit. He said it was good so it is on my list. For the sake of a good discussion I will have to move it to the top. That way I can contribute better to a conversation.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Okay, the character guessing contest is over. Here are the results:

First place: Freya with 41 points.
    Second place: Xanatos with 15 points.
    Third place: sephirothsbigfan with 5 points.

Congratulations Freya!

Here are the correct answers:
    big list:
    1. Revy from Black Lagoon
    2. Simon from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    3. Soldier Blue from Terra e
    4. Chiaki from Minami-ke
    5. Saber from Fate/stay night
    6. Kouichi from Kimikiss pure rouge
    7. Firo from Baccano!
    8. Hikari from Special A
    9. Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion
    10. Alicia from Valkyria Chronicles
    11. Lenalee from D.Gray-man
    12. Yuuki from Vampire Knight
    13. Sailor Moon/Usagi from Sailor Moon
    14. Yumemi from Munto/Sora wo Miageru Shoujo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai
    15. Miharu from Nabari no Ou
    16. Misaki from NHK ni Youkoso!
    17. Index from Toaru Majutsu no Index Bonus points for Toaru Kagaku no Railgun and Shakugan no Shana II Specials
    18. Nakiami from Bounen no Xamdou
    19. Heero from Gundam Wing
    20. Saito from Zero no Tsukaima
    21. Pacifica from Scrapped Princess
    22. Hagu from Honey and Clover
    23. Ren Mihashi from Ookiku Furikabutte
    24. Rito from To-LOVE Ru
    25. Kou from Wagaya no Oinari-sama
    26. Kira from Gundam Seed
    27. Nagi from Kannagi
    28. Shana from Shakugan no Shana
    29. Louise from Zero no Tsukaima
    30. Kaname from Full Metal Panic!
    31. Setsuna from Gundam 00
    32. Sakura from Tsubasa Chronicle Bonus points for Card Captor Sakura and xxxHolic
    33. Sousuke from Full Metal Panic!
    34. Syaoran from Tsubasa Chronicle Bonus points for Card Captor Sakura, xxxHolic, and Kobato
    35. Taiga from Toradora!
    36. Nodame from Nodame Cantabile
    37. Train from Black Cat
    38. Jil from Tower of Druaga
    39. Lala from To-LOVE Ru
    40. Risa from Lovely Complex
    41. Guin from Guin Saga
    42. Yoko from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    43. Konata from Lucky Star
    44. Chii from Chobits Bonus points for Tsubasa Chronicle and Kobato
    45. Zero from Vamprie Knight
    46. Kino from Kino's Journey
    47. Jin from Kannagi
    48. Sheryl from Macross Frontier
    49. Yuki Negato from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
    50. Haruhi from Ouran High School Host Club
    51. Chikane from Kannazuki no Miko Bonus point for Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora even though they have different names. ><
    52. Horo from Spice and Wolf Bonus point for Durarara because cutouts of characters count! =P
    53. Ranka from Macross Frontier
    54. Iku Kasahara from Toshokan Sensou
    55. Yuji from Shakugan no Shana
    56. Shinichi Chiaki from Nodame Cantabile
    57. Hiro from ef- a tale of memories Bonus point for ef- a tale of melodies
    58. Wilhelmina from Shakugan no Shana
    59. Treize from Allison & Lillia
    60. Yuuko from xxxHolic Bonus points for Tsubasa Chronicle and Kobato(?) apparently she appears in the manga?

I was doing this kind of late, so I hope I didn't make any typos, or add something wrong. ^^" It shouldn't matter, though, because nothing was close...

First let me say that only three people participated.

I'm kind of disappointed that more people didn't participate... Was it just that the characters were too hard, or were people too lazy to participate? I didn't expect everyone to participate, but it would have been nice for at least half of our members to participate. If any of you who didn't like this idea have any ideas about activities, please PM/VM me or let me know some way. I hope that whatever we decide to do next is more successful.

Now, has no one seen Kino's Journey? I thought that this anime was really popular too. Maybe I shouldn't be the one picking the anime...

Would it be better if I announce the anime in advance, so that people can watch a couple of episodes or something before the discussions?

I guess for now I'll just take suggestions for anime that people would like to discuss. PM/VM me your suggestions. We were going to stick with adventure series for April, but if people want to discuss other anime, we can. Hopefully this will work out, so that at least the person who sent me the PM/VM will know what we're talking about. I was thinking about talking about Scrapped Princess next. I thought this was a great anime, but if no one else has seen it, it won't be a very good discussion topic...

Now I have a question for the members. Originally I was planning on having two activities a month. Do you think that this is too many? Seeing as hardly anyone participated in the last activity (even though it was very easy to do) I'm kind of worried about having too many activities. Tell me what your thoughts are on this. Right now one a month, if that, is looking to be best.
    Last edited by Treize; 04-07-2010 at 10:47 PM.
    TFF Family:

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Anime Fanatics Club v2 Xanatos's Avatar

Looking at the list with correct answers: could have guessed few more characters, not that it would change anything.

O man, I don't remember the last time I sucked this much in a contest of any sort, actually there was that Tekken tournament last year...can't complain though, it could have been worse. I must give props to Treize, the contest was simply great, I loved the whole idea, shame though more people didn't participated. As for why more people didn't participated, I'm asking myself the same questions. I guess they were afraid of scoring low results or something like that. And congrats to Freya for deserved win, me and Sephy are eating your dust right now.

Now, has no one seen Kino's Journey? I thought that this anime was really popular too. Maybe I shouldn't be the one picking the anime...
    Nope, popularity doesn't mean a thing to, as far as my concern the whole world may watch it, I won't if it doesn't fit my criteria.

Would it be better if I announce the anime in advance, so that people can watch a couple of episodes or something before the discussions?
    Actually this might not be a bad idea, unfortunately I can't watch video that much due to my internet limit of 10 GB per month but I could scroll few chapters of manga before discussion.

Now I have a question for the members. Originally I was planning on having two activities a month. Do you think that this is too many? Seeing as hardly anyone participated in the last activity (even though it was very easy to do) I'm kind of worried about having too many activities. Tell me what your thoughts are on this. Right now one a month, if that, is looking to be best.
    One activity per month will be quite enough for now, until more people start to participate.
    Last edited by Xanatos; 04-08-2010 at 08:33 AM.

i have never heard of it but i will read up on it sometime when i get the chance
    college work has been getting in the way of me being on here so i have a chance now yea!

The Quiet One Anime Fanatics Club v2 Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've been considering it for a while so I finally decided on joining.

I've been watching anime since it began airing on Sci-Fi Saturday called Anime Saturday or something like where I saw Akira, Tenchi Muyo in Love, Fatal Fury and 8 Man After all for the first along with others including my first anime which I'm pretty sure was Demon City Shinjuku which still is one of my favorites because it was my first. Sci-Fi used to show a lot of anime that'll never see and I think most of it was from U.S. Manga Corps, which might explain why we never see it anymore. Favorite though have to be a toss up between X TV and Tenchi Muyo.

As for manga, I picked up (rather given), some sample manga from Tokyopop that a guy at my college was handing out from some convention. So that was my first manga. Afterward, it was only inserts in the Newtype magazine until I finally start buying and my collection is still significantly smaller than my anime collection, but the first was Neon Genesis Evangelion Angelic Days, which I had been reading in Newtype and I wanted to see the rest of the story. It was a Shoujo romance manga, after that I think it was Full Metal Panic. My favorite though would have to be Fruits Basket.

Owning for me is a bit more like collecting. I only own about 40 manga volumes, but significantly more anime. See the link below for an example and know that I own about 80% of what is shown there. And that is over a year old.

http://thefinalfantasy.net/cd/AnimeComplete.jpg

I quite literally own a little bit of everything about the only thing I'm missing would be Yaoi and that is only because Loveless disappeared before I got through my priority purchases. I did own Wicked City, which funny thing, I didn't know anything about it other than that it was from the person that did Demon City Shinjuku and I loved the movie. So I thought it should be good, friend and I were looking for something new to watch. Needless to say we were a little surprised by what we found, but still Wicked City was a good anime and I wish I knew where it disappeared to, that and Ninja Scroll.

I currently write what would probably be best considered light novels under the intentions of seeing them visualized eventually.

Anyway, if you want to have some fun see how much anime you can pick out from the above link. I have seen everything on there. When I get sometime I'm going to be uploading a cleaner version that is intended to be wallpaper for dual screen monitors.

http://thefinalfantasy.net/forums/an...knowledge.html

Enjoy and let me know if I'm good to join. ^^
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Of course you're welcome to join. The more the merrier. I forgot all about that picture/thread. I was going to list the ones that I knew to see how many I could get, but I never did. ^^'' I'll do it now. =D

And I thought that I watched a lot of anime...

Anyway, I'll give another anime to discuss for the week. I was going to suggest Scrapped Princess, but I scrapped that idea after seeing that no one even responded, and I'm guessing that not that many people have seen the series either. This week I'm going to pick a movie, so that even the people who haven't seen it could try and watch it before the week is over.

The anime for this week is Princess Mononoke. It's a Ghibli film, and I've seen a lot of discussions about movies from Ghibli here, so I'm hoping that a number of you have seen this movie.

Here is a description: While fighting to save his village from the attack of a demon-god, Ashitaka comes in contact with it and is inflicted with a deadly curse. In his search for a cure he is forced to leave his village forever and journey to the forest inhabited by animal gods. There he finds himself in the middle of a war between the forest gods and a village led by lady Eboshi.

I really liked this movie. The plot was pretty interesting, and I liked the characters. It is one of the better anime movies that I've seen. I can contribute more if other people post what they think/(dis)liked about the movie.

So, what are your opinions about this movie?
    TFF Family:

Blog Entries

No one else has seen Kino's Journey? Hmm, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised I only knew about it through trailers on my anime. It was a very slow wandering anime that never really does much to have any over arching plot. It just one of those slice of life types. I did find it pretty interesting to watch like it was a much of sci-fi short stories put together to show how people were different depending on the regional culture and availability of technology and what not. It was quite surprising to learn about Kino's identity though and past.

And no one else on Scrapped Princess either, that is a little disappointing. I really enjoyed that anime. I was very glad when I found the entire collection of individual DVDs for like 30 or 40 dollars at a store. The more you watch it the more I found myself trying to explain it is like the Matrix. Someone came in on the middle while I was watching it and I had to find a quick way to explaining the situation without getting too detailed and I said its like the Matrix. Which once I thought about it has quite a few parallels when you think about it.

As for Princess Mononoke I ended up showing that to my dad, who was bored and wanted to watch something one night last week. I don't know if he enjoyed it, but I had planned on just going back up to do some work. But once I started hearing the music I had to stay and I just stayed for the entire movie. One thing that I've always enjoyed about the movie is the music and the art.

The other fun thing about it is that it is difficult to truly hate or find someone purely evil in the movie, apart from probably Gigo the Hunter. He does have his fun moments though. Almost all of the characters end up falling into some middle ground of not being too good or too evil. Even Ashitaka admits to being willing to let his cursed arm kill Lady Iboshi if it would rid him of the curse. So for all of his preaching about peace, he is not pure good, though he is the closest anyone gets to being good in there, after he leaves his village that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    It was quite surprising to learn about Kino's identity though and past.
    I was surprised too. I thought it was pretty interesting how Kino became... Kino. It felt like Kino's Journey could have been a little longer, though. I think that it could have had at least 13 more episodes. It was a little hard to get attached to Kino in such a short time. I also wish that Kino's character could have been developed a little more. The back story was good, but then after that there wasn't much development. The short stories were nice, but it would have been that much better if Kino would have developed in some way along the journey too.

And no one else on Scrapped Princess either, that is a little disappointing. I really enjoyed that anime.
    I actually found out about Scrapped Princess by reading some of the manga that was at my library. Unfortunately I thought that the manga wasn't very good and was hesitant to watch the anime. I can say that I'm glad I did watch it. The anime is great.

I was a little surprised with this one too. I did not expect it to go the way it did. It was fantasy, and then all of a sudden it turned into sci-fi. It was great, but unexpected.

One thing that I've always enjoyed about the movie is the music and the art.
    I agree. Almost all of the Ghibli films have great art in music. I think what really sets this movie apart from other films, though, are the characters.

The other fun thing about it is that it is difficult to truly hate or find someone purely evil in the movie, apart from probably Gigo the Hunter. He does have his fun moments though. Almost all of the characters end up falling into some middle ground of not being too good or too evil. Even Ashitaka admits to being willing to let his cursed arm kill Lady Iboshi if it would rid him of the curse. So for all of his preaching about peace, he is not pure good, though he is the closest anyone gets to being good in there, after he leaves his village that is.
    Yes! This movie is great because of its characters and their depth. It isn't like the average anime where there are clear cut good and bad characters. This is my favorite Ghibli film, and I think that any anime fan should watch it. Even non anime fans can enjoy it too.

I would think that your dad enjoyed it. If he likes fantasy, then he would have had to like it, but I think that just about anyone should be able to enjoy this film unless they are just completely against fantasy... For example, my dad probably wouldn't like it because he usually only likes history, but I think that anyone with an open mind could see the greatness in the work.
    Last edited by Treize; 04-12-2010 at 05:49 PM.
    TFF Family:

Blog Entries

Yeah Kino definitely felt like there was almost no change from town to town. But I think if they had gone any longer than they did they would have had to start creating an arc. Because the story and series as a whole is very slow and quiet. Everyone does not really speak a lot and actions are pretty minimalized throughout. They end up trying to say more through the actions of the people rather than Kino as though Kino is just meant to be a physical representation of the viewer placed in the story. Kino does do interactions and solve the odd mysteries of the towns, but most of it just seems to be for the sake of the viewer rather than for Kino's development or benefit.

The Scrapped Princess manga isn't as good as the anime, huh? Well the manga could have come after the anime, it happens. It is definitely the Sci-Fi elements of the show that make it really interesting and not just another fantasy story. I always found it really funny to watch the episodes and completely understand everything that is going on when they are doing "techno-talk" that goes over the heads of the Pacifica and her siblings. Which I think with someone in a medieval period mind set would completely miss the point on what they are saying. Watching the show a second time is fun because when you realize the truth of the world, the pieces in the background start to make some sense.

It is still funny when the audience understands what's going on better than the characters due to a modern understanding.

Miyazaki hand paints all of the backgrounds, or he at least used to do that for his movies. So that is part of the reason why his movies look so great. But yeah I called Princess Mononoke safe when I was trying to find something for him and talking like a mile a minute in my explanation. He gave me a strange look when I said safe, because I was intended it as acceptance and not safe in term of viewing content. So I ended up getting into a five minute run on what I meant. Anime is weird, I understand that, so you have to find safe stuff that is more broad based for an audience. I probably should have ignore the Popotan reference, but I was on a roll at the time. But I figured that he probably would not find Shoujo to be very interesting, but who really knows. He is probably more open to different things than people his age about things that fall out of his familiar comfort zone. I believe that he enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist, but that is safe. Though he actually went for Chobits and Vandread without using me as a intermediary so I think that is promising. Though he did see me watching Vandread and found it interesting and heard about Chobits when I was trying to get my sister to watch it, though I sort of spoiled her on it when I refused to loan her the DVDs to watch on her own time while I was away at college. So I don't think she likes anime to spite me for my stubbornness. Oh well. But I think she's coming around since she's looking into getting German translation manga to practice her conversational German on. So I might get her pulled back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    And congrats to Freya for deserved win, me and Sephy are eating your dust right now.
    Thank you! ^///^
    I never expected to win, to be honest. ^^"

@Activities: Two per month sounds great. Perhaps we just need other ideas. It's sad only three members participated in the last activity... :/ If I have an idea for an activity, I'll PM or VM it to you, Treize. :3

@Mononoke: I've watched the movie about a year ago, so I don't remember everything about it. But it was one of my least favorite Ghibli movie. ^^" I liked how it tried to tell us something about protecting nature, but that was all. ^^" But I must also admit that I don't like wolves that much. (For example, I didn't really like Wolf's Rain, though I have only seen one episode ^^"")
    As for Ghibli movies, I liked Chihiro best. <3

Besides, I've been to an Anime convention at the weekend. *_*~ Have you ever been on a con? Did you like it?
    *tries to find a side topic* xP

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)

i love princess mononoke! it was the first miyazaki film i've seen; i really love the action in the movie and the story line; princess mononoke rocks!! XD

two activities sound fine to me

黒い翼の天使 Anime Fanatics Club v2 yuki's Avatar

im finaly posting ive been away much ill start joining the club for now
    How long have you been watching anime?
    ever since for ever maybe about 10 years
    What is your favorite anime?
    alot of them but code geass is maybe my best..
    How long have you been reading manga?
    about 6 years or so
    What is your favorite manga?
    gravitation,hana kimi,your so cool .....
    Do you own any anime or manga?
    i own over 400 dvds lol and irealy didnt watch them all...
    Is there anything else you would like to tell us about yourself that relates to anime or manga? (Examples: What was your first anime/manga? Have you ever cosplayed? etc.)
    my first anime....idont remember.manga ido remember is (is)
    my first cosplay or realy my life form yuki eiri igot the name yuki from my friends 6 years ago coz they say i look like him thought im not blond lol the real first cosplay was as squall.....

I'm sorry that I skipped last week. ^^'''''' Here's a new discussion topic anyway. Instead of just picking a random anime, I thought it would be better if I changed it up a little. Since it is the end of the month, and we've been talking about adventure anime the whole time, I thought I would ask:

What is your favorite adventure anime?

Please add content to your posts with this. I really don't want to see "I like Naruto. It good." or something to that affect.

My favorite adventure anime is TRC, but since we already discussed that I'll just pick another one that I really like.

One of my favorite adventure anime is D.Gray-Man. This anime is really good. The story is interesting, the characters are well developed and are actually good characters with cool abilities, and the animation is good. What more could you ask for?

One of the downsides of this anime is that it is a little slow to start, but that is pretty common with the long shounen series. After around episode 50 () the show is amazing from there on out. Unfortunately the anime stopped when it looked like it was going to become even more interesting than it already was. I can't wait until it starts back up. I was thinking about just reading the manga, but I thought I would just wait a couple of years for the anime to continue.

Now what is your favorite adventure anime? This is kind of meant to be a debate, so don't feel afraid to state why your favorite adventure anime is better than others'.
    TFF Family:

Blog Entries

I tend not to think of most anime as adventure as least I think in the idea that you're thinking. Naruto is probably more adventure than others, but it is more action than anything. When I think adventure I think something like Saiyuki, which is based on the Journey to the West an actual adventure story. Where there is travel and a journey and not just the need for one action fight sequence followed by another, which is more or less what Naruto or Bleach are. They are linked by their fights rather than their story a lot of the time.

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure Record of Lodoss Wars would fall into the adventure grouping. It is fantasy though and most fantasy tend to fall into the adventure/journey type to begin with. Sadly, I don't own Record of Lodoss Wars or it'd be a lot more familiar in my mind than when I rented it. But there was always something about the anime that I really joined. It is fantasy and I do enjoy my fantasy, but it seemed to go quite a bit deeper than just fantasy.

Funny note, Louie the Rune Soldier is apparently in the same world as Record of Lodoss Wars, but on a different continent. It is certainly quite a bit different flavor.

Memento Rhapso Anime Fanatics Club v2 Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Orphen! I have to say this is my favourite because it brings me nostalgia. I read it through when I was like 10 or 11 and loved it since then. Anyway, the aspects it provided of adventuring, black/white magic, and the creatures were all a new concept to me (I hadn't gotten a chance to read manga before :3) and they just blew me away. All the cliches of an adventure anime/manga were there and just I didn't even know it. I think because of those it's the best starter adventure anime/manga.

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

Blog Entries

Orphen is definitely quite good. I tend rewatch it fairly regularly, though the second season was pretty bad both writing and animation quality. I don't know what happened, but they wanted a second season I guess since the first was good enough, but not good enough to give the same budget. I generally don't care about animation quality from one series to another, but when there is a very clear difficult within the same show then it really bugs me a lot.

The original Orphen was quite enjoyable though in part due to the cast of characters that they had. The story was a little typical, but the end certain was a bit of a surprise if not confusing at the beginning. But the characters helped to really make you want to keep watching more than anything else.

I ended up renting the game on the PS2 a long time ago and it was alright, if not a little weird at times. You had to replay it 3 times before getting to the ending, fortunately the playthroughs were only 5 hours in length. Still one of the most difficult final bosses I've had to fight.

My favorite anime belongs to this category, well, more or less. I got the felling that I don't really need to waste my words on it as it's quite popular, but in all honesty I can't come up with anything about FullMetal Alchemsit that hasn't been said already.

For that reason I'll chose another anime, quite few come to my mind right now, but neither one of them seems fitting as Rurouni Kenshin. One of the first anime series I've seen and one of my favorites, definitely in my top ten. I really don't recall the most part of the story, it's been a while since the last time I saw it, though I don't recall being that great. On the other hand the characters are simply amazing, everyone from minor characters to protagonist and antagonist are all well done. Besides that, this anime has a really great soundtrack, it must be one of the best I've heard, at least when it comes to anime.

Out of two OVA's that have been released afterward I've only watched Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal, you can say it's a great introduction to the main anime as it explains Kenshin's past pretty well. Only four episodes are the only negative thing I could come up with.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast