Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Role Play Forum Rules

Yuna

Role Play Forum Rules

It's been a long time, and I've been the moderator of this forum for 2 years now. You all may not know it because I'm very quiet and very unconfrontation with people whom I want to trust, respect, and look up to me. I want every single role player on this forum to fo just that. I am the mother of this forum, and it will be ran out I want it to be. But as its mother, I want help in making it a wonderful place for people to be creative, silly, or evil, whichever their prefer.

Here are some very help suggestions that may help your RP experience. The actual base forums rules are in the middle of this post, however I strongly encourage you to read the whole post. I might help you in furture RP endevors.

For starters, let me tell you what role play is. Role playing is the act of assuming the identity of another character, be it on you have created, or one from some story you like. There are benefits to playing a character you have created, that is there are no boundaries. There are, however, boundaries to characters whom have already been made. Should you choose to role play Squall, you must stay within the character portrayed by him in FFVIII. If you stray outside that relm, your RP thread Liable to be close, and you may be warned.

Getting more indepth with created characters:

When creating a character for a Story Line (This is a very important word, remember it. It is sometimes abbreviated to SL) your options are limitless, as well is the depth of your creativity. Explore it, and see if you like it, this is the best way to become a better RPer. When creating a character for someone else's Story Line, you have to create the character within THEIR set rules and such. The best way to do this is to have a one on one conversation with the creator of the SL and put forth your ideas to them. You can also get THE MOST satisfation out of your RP this way.

What is NOT accpetable in an original RP SL is someone doing what we call GOD MODDING. This is basically being indestructable, doing whatever it is you wish with the Role Play. While you may use your character to guide the SL in different directions, you may NOT become an all powerful being and use the RP to make you feel better about yourself. Should anyone in my forum hijack someone else's SL in this matter, you'll be warned and thusly BANNED from the RP forum. I will not tolerate someone ruining someone else's Role Play. This is the one thing which I WILL NOT show any leniency with what-so-ever.

Now we come to getting your RP started:

If your RP is going to be open to all members of the forum, the first thing you SHOULD do is make a thread about it in the Role-Play OOC sub-forum. In this thread you will need to, as detailed as possibly, lay out the logistics of your SL, then invite other members to post information and such about their characters. If you are someone joining someone else's SL, when posting information about your character, try to make it as detailed as possible, listing as much as you can about your character. This way, the creator of the SL can judge whether or not aspects of your character are appropriate for their RP. I encourage all members to use the RP OOC forum to debate and discuss their RPs in LENGTH AND DETAIL before posting the actual Role Play thread. This will not only ensure good quality and moral of your RP, it will also help you get to know the people whom you will be RPing with, which is always helpful.

If your RP is going to be Invite only, then make sure you state so in the title of both your OOC thread and actual RP thread.

Use the Role-Play OOC forum! It is your BEST FRIEND! Though it is not official yet, I may REQUIRE all RPs to have a thread in the OOC forum. This is not official. We'll see how RPing starts to go.

This leads us to!~
    Starting up your RP:
    Before you start your RP in the main forum, keep in mind all the basic rules of this forum. They are as listed:

ACTUAL RP FORUM BASE RULES

- No signatures. Refer to this thread if you have questions.
    - Do not spam the threads with anything not relevent to the RP in question. Random trolls and other such are not allowed.
    - God-Modding/Hijacking threads. This is NOT ALLOWED OR TOLERATED WHAT-SO-EVER. Should ANY of this occur, you will be banned from posting in this forum. God-Modding includes playing a virtual God in the RP, controling someone else's character without permission, and [hijacking] postng a RP thread you were not a part of in the OOC thread.
    - Stay in Character. All OOC posts should remain in the OOC forum. with any OOC posts. Aspects of the post may be OOC, but not the entire post. If you need to tell your fellow RPers something, GO BACK TO YOUR THREAD IN THE RP-OOC FORUM. Any purely OOC post I come across will be deleted and you will be warned.
    - No Harassing of other members. Should you not agree with what they're RPing about, keep your mouth shut and move on, or at least take it to PMs. This forum is for RP alone, nothing more.
    - Different RP styles. If you're planning to make a role-play that is not that of the usuals we see around here, please inform me of your plans. And to have it be acceptable, please make it a role-play serious enough to warrent quality posts. Remember, in role-playing, quality is also very important. Please keep in mind. However, New RP styles are VERY welcome! Please, tap into your creative side!
    - Do not double post. Should you have something you want to add to a recent post, please simply edit that post instead of posting again. This is a site wide rule, and this forum is no exception.
    - No Solo RPing. Save that for your own site, or you journal, or something. This is a community forum, we play with other kids.
    - No bumping old RP threads with useless posts. Should your RP start to die and you don't want it to, contact members of it and discuss it with them. OR, post in your OOC topic and talk about ways to keep it going.
    - Be sure to have fun! SHould an RP you created or are participating in looses it's fun, then stop posting in it! Let it die and move on. That, or inform me or OceanEyes and we will close it ^_^
    - No use of asterisks to denote character actions. If you want to say your character did something, write it out. RPs are not shorthand.

That sums up the basic rules of the forum, be sure to follow them or else your RP is liable to be shut down.

Once your RP is start...
    Monitor is constantly! Make sure you know what's going on. This way, you can catch trolls or other bugs that may infest it. Should something start festering in your RP, nip it in the bud by either telling the creator of the RP or informing a Mod (Me or Ocean Eyes). This way, you can let your RP live out how you had intended with out interuptions!

Dead RP...
    If your RP dies, then let it. It's happened to me many times. This doesn't mean quit RPing. Sometimes the most wonderful stories die, but if you have fun RPing, please keep doing so or else this forum will die too! =D

That about sums up this post! If you have any questions or comments, please post them here and we'll discuss them all togethers; mods and members alike.

<3
    Yuna
    Last edited by Yuna; 08-05-2005 at 12:33 PM.

アズテオル Role Play Forum Rules Azuteor's Avatar
    Well, Yuna the rules sum up very well, and I understand them now since my carelessness has brought your baby a tiny sickness by closed RP threads. I'm sorry for being like that.

On the signatures part, is it alright to put your character statistics in your sigs? Otherwise, I'd just look on the link you just gave me.

What if in an RP we're just saying,"damn" or "you bastered" referred to a character as if he/she were an evil person but not to the member, would that still count for Harassment/Trolling/Flaming?
    Last edited by Yuna; 08-05-2005 at 04:59 AM.

Yuna
    Quote Originally Posted by R4gNarOk_Ch40$
    Well, Yuna the rules sum up very well, and I understand them now since my carelessness has brought your baby a tiny sickness by closed RP threads. I'm sorry for being like that.

On the signatures part, is it alright to put your character statistics in your sigs? Otherwise, I'd just look on the link you just gave me.

What if in an RP we're just saying,"damn" or "you bastered" referred to a character as if he/she were an evil person but not to the member, would that still count for Harassment/Trolling/Flaming?
    As long as we can work together to get better, don't be sorry. I don't hold any grudges with my new RPers.

On sigs, no signatures are allowed on this forum anywhere, not even in the OOC part. You need to look at the link and remember it every time you post.

Cursing in RPs is totally fine with me. Maturity is a huge part of RPing, and using words like "Damn" and "Bastard" are part of it. They also add a sort of aura with in an RP. If the RP SL creator doesn't want any offending words, they will state so. Also, if the cursing gets out of hand, I will let you know. Tasteful and in character cursing is perfectly accpetable.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuna
    - Stay in Character. All OOC posts should remain in the OOC forum. with any OOC posts. Aspects of the post may be OOC, but not the entire post. If you need to tell your fellow RPers something, GO BACK TO YOUR THREAD IN THE RP-OOC FORUM. Any purely OOC post I come across will be deleted and you will be warned.
    Now it says aspects of the post may be OOC. Im guessing that reffers to the RP posts right and not the OOC. So that means I AM allowed to post OOC info inside the RP thread or did I understand that wrong.

Yuna
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Kenji I
    Now it says aspects of the post may be OOC. Im guessing that reffers to the RP posts right and not the OOC. So that means I AM allowed to post OOC info inside the RP thread or did I understand that wrong.
    This means that the post within the actual RP thread may not be JUST OOC. You may post something briefly before, or after your IC post OOC within the RP thread, but nothing solely OOC. Take all purely OOC post to the RP OOC forum, where a thread *should* be for your RP.

Okay good I think I understood that correctly. So its ok to post OOC info in the RP thread as long as its brief and the rest of the post contains only RP.
    Last edited by Akira; 08-05-2005 at 05:36 AM.

Yuna
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Kenji I
    Okay good I think I understood that correctly. So its ok to post OOC info in the RP thread as long as its brief and the rest of the post contains only RP.
    PERFECT! I couldn't have said it better myself ^_^

Alright thanks for answering that one.

Now I have one last question. If I have an RP that dies out, is it forbidden to remake the thread or not?

アズテオル Role Play Forum Rules Azuteor's Avatar
    Oh yeah, one time we got closed from the first One Winged, and when we made another one it got closed again. Is that a problem? I'm not sure tho, was it full of spam, or was it that we had our sigs on?
    Last edited by Azuteor; 08-05-2005 at 05:44 AM.

Exactly the reason why Im asking. Because when we made that thread some people started posting OOC messages at the top of their posts but it was never purely OOC. Thats why Im wondering why we actually got closed down in that one.

EDIT: Nevermind I found the reason. I (blushes) posted some purely OOC messages. Hehe...whoops.
    Last edited by Akira; 08-05-2005 at 05:44 AM.

Yuna
    If an RP has been closed down for whatever reason, and you wish to start it again, contact me and we'll talk about where it went wrong, so you can avoid that should you make a new RP.

Alright Im cool with that.

Thanks for all the help Yuna and I hope to make your RP forum a better one...or maybe Ill just try to contribute normally.

Lady Succubus Role Play Forum Rules Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yay for the new rules, Yunie! I'll be sure to keep vigilant as well. As I always have. =P
    You need to get on AIM again, so I won't have to tell you through email. xD
    Or maybe change your email. o.O;

In any case, these new set of rules are good and clear. *Runs off to read the other thread*

Yuna
    Quote Originally Posted by Raine Ikazuchi
    Yay for the new rules, Yunie! I'll be sure to keep vigilant as well. As I always have. =P
    You need to get on AIM again, so I won't have to tell you through email. xD
    Or maybe change your email. o.O;

In any case, these new set of rules are good and clear. *Runs off to read the other thread*
    As I said in the Highbridge, my site and e-mail account was hacked recently so I was unable to access it for over a week. I do apologize for the inconvinience.

For all RP members:
    If you all have questions or want one on one person advise about improving your RPing, do feel free to e-mail me anytime with it. Me email is yuna[REMOVETHIS]@leonhart.net (make sure to take out the 'removethis' part when entering my email).
    Last edited by Yuna; 08-11-2005 at 09:37 PM.

The Quiet One Role Play Forum Rules Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What is sad about this whole thing is the fact that something simple like these rules, that should be common sense have to be directly stated and hammered across people's heads just to make the lightbulb turn on. It is all very disappointing, about all I can hope for is that a new standard is reached.

But I am pleased by Yuna's acts, setting rules is one thing, executing them is another. Hopefully the closing of RPs will change things around here. For the better I hope.

Maybe I can actually write in more than one RP like before. We shall see.

Keep up the good work Yuna.

Role Play Forum Rules Blackrose's Avatar
    I'm sorry if I seem stupid about this but as many times as I've read over the rules (which I just got done reading them the second time) I still don't understand anything about the OOC forum, I'm trying really hard but still don't understand it XD I need help

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: *^#@%#@$#%I think there's a bug in the system...
    Well, the RP OOC forum is for planning your RP. The RP forum is for the actual RP. The OOC forum is where you write down the basic idea and where people ask if they can join and write their characters down. It is also where you can plan where the RP will head to next.

Role Play Forum Rules cetra_aeris's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    thank you yuna. i think i understand the rules now. you are very good at explaining them in a way that people understand.
    Last edited by LocoColt04; 01-20-2006 at 12:31 PM. Reason: KERBLAM! (signature removal)

Blog Entries
    Question for you Yuna, I remember way back, three years ago or so there was a rule about only starting so many RPs. Meaning that one single person was limited to the number of RP that they could create. That number had been 3, I remember this well because I was quite active in the RP back then, to the point where the limit became something to be careful of. I am wondering, do you still want to hold this rule, or do you not mind how many RPs one single person starts?

kitrinu

help

how do i raise lvls on this im like so stupid so lol can some help me plz ^.^

Blog Entries
    If you are refering to the levels above your posts, that has nothing to do with the Role Playing Forum. It is all stat based on your post count and activity in the forums.

Lady Succubus Role Play Forum Rules Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have a distinct feeling that if Yuna wanted the RP capacity rule, she would have added it. And besides, RP isn't that active as it used to be, so it shouldn't really matter who starts however many, in my opinion.

But it's all up to Yunie though.

Blog Entries
    I only bring it up because I see a couple members running around with 3 RPs started. Otherwise I would not have said anything, and I know Yuna prefer quality over quantity, so I wanted to know where she stands on this.

I have only one question. Are we (rp-ers) allowed to use already made characters? I mean like, post a pic of the character you're going to use in the rp, but use them like you want to? Like say for example, a video game character or anime character? I'm just asking out of curiousity. You could use a pic of a character you found off google or something, and use them in the rp, that's what I mean. Is that ok?

Blog Entries
    Well if you are talking about RPBs, then I guess if you wanted to you could fight using one of them. Though for RPs, it is story based, so your character has to fit into the world of that RP. Having FF characters or anime characters in a RP world probably would not make any sense unless you are doing Kingdom Hearts RP.

I've never heard of the term, "RPB's", explain please.

Well hang on. Can't you use the character, but make up a history for the used character to fit with the story? Or are you just given limited choices by the one that makes the rp? I know there are rules to follow that are set by the one that makes the rp, but would you be able to use a character that's already been made, and just make up a history for that character?

Role Play Battles aka RPB for short. It's more action packed with not so much in the story department.

A link for you.

Now about using characters and when. You could rewrite your characters history to fit the story but there are limits to that. It'll depend mostly on whoever started the rp and how they want stuff to pan out. Say if someone was doing an rp like this one.

Mobile Suit Prophecy

You wouldn't want characters that can shapeshirt or use magic as it would effect the world that was created by the person who started it. So you can use characters that you've already taken the time to make. Just remeber that every rp is different so your character won't always fit.

Role Play Forum Rules Yunie Lover's Avatar
    can I use here the other RPG story that I can imagining about Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh please tell me.
    Last edited by LocoColt04; 04-17-2006 at 12:40 PM. Reason: KERBLAM! (signature removal)

The Old Skool Warrior Role Play Forum Rules LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Umm, I don't see any reason why you can't do whatever kind of roleplay you want to. We get game and cartoon themed roleplays all the time. And for future reference, please remember to remove your signature when posting in any of the roleplay forums.

Umm, was my post deleted?

RPB's like, one on ones right? But if you have limited choices, how can you be descriptive? Wouldn't the posts for what you do in the fight just be like a short post or something? If not, could someone give me an example? Not by link, I mean, just make one up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast