Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Memories of a Shinigami (BLEACH Club Members only)

Zeno began to consentrate as he held his hand up to make a perfect spritual sphere from the palm of his hand. His jaw was locked trying to perform the exercise. Nothing appeared or even formed in his hands. He then tryed again thinking he'd get it eventually. After the tenth time he was starting to get tired. He over heard all the special tricks to make it work but no sprit energy came out. Then someones spritual pressue consumed him. It was strong feeling but he was still able to move.

"What the hell is this feeling?"

By the time he turned around to see who it was comming from the feeling was gone. Zeno came back to his exercise and started over again. After 7 more trys Zeno was looseing hope. Not only could he not do it, but not any form of sighn of sprit energy was showing.

"It's no use. I've tryed everything. What the matter with me? Im doing what I instructor said. It's like I have no spritual powers at all. And if I have no spritual pressure then theres no reason for the academy to keep me. With out sprit powers theres no way to become a Soul Reaper."

He held his hand and consentrated as hard as he could to make at least a tiny ball, but nothing happen like before.

"Aw, I give up. It's just no use."

He sighed in dissapointment and began to think countless thoughts in his mind on what was going to happen to him. Zeno's head went down in sadness. All of his dreams and needs were destroyed. Thoughts flashed through his head about what he should do, what people would think of him, and what he was going to tell his grandma if he came back.

"I guess it was all just a fantasy after all. Don't know why im so surprised. Not like I have anyone here that cares about me."

Zeno's silly positive attitude was gone. Nothing was going to grant him sprit enerygy, it was either you had them or you didn't. His sad green eyes stared at his right hand. His eyes watered to cry but he held his tears back to at least walk out looking like a somebody. He looked over and saw some students forming sprit balls from their hands, and others that were getting the hang of it. He began to walk towards the door to who knows where. He couldn't stay in the Academy anymore.
    Last edited by Oathkeeper13; 08-07-2007 at 01:15 AM.

The instructor let the students go to try and focus their spirit energy. Mugen and Rei remained near each other.

"How about we take turns?" Rei asked.

"Sure, I don't mind. Ladies first," he said somewhat sarcastically as he bowed in a gentlemanly manner and she passed by to an open part of the room.

She stood, facing towards him. Her stance was rigid. She inhaled deeply, then exhaled. Rei placed her hands in front of her and focused her spirit energy on an imaginary point in-between. She closed her eyes and pictured the spirit energy formed in a sphere in between her hands. Rei begna to focus it there, she opened her eyes and a sphere of energy flashed into her hands. She smiled brightly and so did Mugen.

The instructor came by and patted her on the shoulder. "Good." He said and left.

"Now it's your turn, Mugen." She said to him in the teasing tone she had with him.

"You think THAT was good? Watch this!" Mugen said as they traded places.

"So it's a challenge?"

"Yeah! A challenge." He returned.

"If I win, I get..." She thought for a moment. "a new flute."

"Is that it!? Well then, if I win we have to go on a date." He siad without truly realizing it. Wait! What did I just say!? He thought.

"Fine." Rei said with a grin.

She pushed him to the middle of the room. He took the same rigid stance as Rei did. He put his hands in the same position like she did. He inhaled and exhaled like she did. He closed his eyes and pictured the sphere in his hands like she did. He focused the spirit energy in his hands like she did. And then, finally, the ball of spirit energy formed in his hands. He smiled brightly into the ball of light. But then something happened. The ball fluxuated and turned to a red color. The ball suddenly exploded in Mugen's face. The smoke cleared quickly and the front of Mugen, his face and abdomen, were covered in a black substance. He coughed and a puff of smoke came out. His hair was completely messed up, a piece of it was even on fire. Through the ringing in his ears, Mugen could hear the laugh of Rei joined by a roar of laughter from the rest of the class.

Morning Always Comes Memories of a Shinigami (BLEACH Club Members only) Xeim's Avatar
    Class was nearly over by the time Haruka got inside. People were paired up around the room binding each other, and most were having a bit of difficulty releasing the bind. Haruka nearly broke into uncontrollable laughter. The sight of adults acting this way was too much to bear. Some of the younger members of the class, however, seemed to enjoy the pain they were inflicting on the others. Haruka was reminded a bit of herself back when she had been alive. She had been crueler then she was now, but that's not to say that she wasn't cruel. No, definitely not.

"Yo," said a low, level voice behind her. Haruka felt the back of her neck prickle at the sound. She turned to see a slender but strong looking woman, not much older than herself, with flaxen hair and bright green eyes. Haruka had to admit that she was pretty, but she doesn't compare to Shino...I mean Mai! I mean...I don't know what I mean anymore... "I've been waiting for you," she sniggered.

What an Arrancar-wannabe...

"You know Kaigaiishi then? What is he to you?"

How...? Oh, she must've seen us at lunch. But really, what kind of question is that?

"That's none of your buisness."

"Be my kidou partner."

"Whoah there, don't go all possessive on me," Haruka said mockingly.

"Possesive...you bitch." she sneered.

"Hn. I've been getting a lot of that lately. I'm Haruka by the way."

"I know."

Stalker.

The woman seemed to expect Haruka to follow her to a deserted corner of the room, but Haruka made no move to comply. She still hadn't gotten the rude female's name, after all. Who would follow a possessive female into a nice deserted corner if you didn't even know their name?

"Hey, Haru-chan! Get your arse over here!" the woman yelled.

Haruka just yawned and sat down on a nearby desk. This was going to be fun, indeed.

"Hey punk, what's your problem?"

Haruka looked up with glassy eyes. "Well, I should think that would be obvious," she said, then put her head in her hand and closed her eyes. That's when she got a slap in the face.

"Mm?" she asked unfazed.

"You..."

"Are..." Haruka said as if she were talking to a child. She then gestured to the woman to finish the sentence. "You are..." Haruka said again.

"Garu Fukumi." She said, annoyed.

"Pleasure," Haruka said sarcastically. "Now, let's do this thing. I expect you know how?" The suggestive look in Haruka's eyes nearly made the woman blow steam from her ears.

"Hmph. Watch and learn," she said bitterly.

Fukumi stretched her hand out in front of her and closed her eyes. Haruka could tell that she was most likely channeling energy into her palm. The method however, was beyond Haruka. She decided to mimic the woman's movements at any rate, in hopes that something would come to her.

So, she closed her eyes, thrust her right arm in front of her, and held it steady by putting pressure on the wrist with her left arm. Then, she attempted to look within her soul to find whatever this spiritual energy was, and then push it out onto her palm. It was hard to search within your mind and body. Many people would probably give up at this point, deeming it impossible. But, Haruka was determined. She finally located the source of her spiritual energy, and began to push it through her arm and out into her hand. However, when she opened her eyes, the mass was shapeless, while Fukumi's was a perfect sphere.

"You're not supposed to keep your eyes closed the whole time you idiot," Fukumi spat.

"O-oh," Haruka said, releasing her energy.

So, she tried again. This time, as soon as she found the energy, she opened her eyes, and concentrated as hard as she could on a single point in her palm, mentally willing the energy to twist into a ball. And, that it did.

It was small, and roughly formed, but it was still existant.

Unfortunately, the teacher walked by at that moment. "All that practice and that's ALL you can do?"

"I-Uh,"

"Don't give any excuses," he snapped. You are report to me after your evening meal for a personal training session. Consider it detention.

"Tch. Yes, sensei," Haruka said, disgusted.

"Serves you right," chuckled Fukumi.

Oh yes, this has definately been the BEST day of my li...er..existance! How beautiful the sky is...ugh.

Lady Succubus Memories of a Shinigami (BLEACH Club Members only) Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Shino stood up from her knelt position on the floor and stretched her arms. When she looked down, she realized that she had accidentally shoved her breasts into Steph's face. He stood on the table and was breast-level with her when she stood up. Her cheeks flushed a deep red and she wrapped her arms around her breasts and tightened the kimono so that less cleavage would show.

“I'm really sorry, Steph.” she scratched the back of her head with a sheepish grin. Then she took a deep breath and cracked her knuckles. She looked into Steph's eyes and attempted to be serious.

“I suppose it's my turn now, isn't it?” she noted when she clapped her palms together.

She focused her energy and chanted the incantation and the spell.

However, instead of binding Steph's hands behind his back, she binded his left arm and left leg behind his back. She grumbled and took a deep breath. She released the spell and drooped her head.

“Bah.. this sucks. How can I screw up such a simple spell?” she sighed.

She tried the spell again and this time she bent Steph forward to touch his toes. She snarled and released the spell. She took a deep breath to keep her cool and sat down on her chair.

She made several other attempts to do it right, but each time created a more awkward position. After the 30th try, she finally got it correct.

“Finally!” she panted and wiped sweat from her brow. She released the spell with what energy she had left. The class time neared its end as Shino placed her head on her desk and glanced at Steph.

“I'm sorry for all those awkward positions, Steph.”

Before she could properly apologize, the bell ended the class. She sighed and stood up from her chair. She stretched her back and her arms.

"I'll be in the cafeteria.. I'm hungry."

Kuragari woke up in his dormitory drenched in sweat. He looked around in a panicked state.

“Where the hell am I?” he thought to himself until his mind clicked and reminded him.

“Oh.. right. I'm in my dorm room. That was one hell of a nightmare. What the hell was that thing, anyway?” he scratched the back of his head and looked at the clock.

“...Ah, hell. I missed Kidou class. Oh well, I guess I'll head over to the cafeteria and get something to eat. I'm starved...” he took a few moments to get the strength to stand up. He sighed and walked out of his dorm room door.

After he arrived to the cafeteria, he got in line for the meals. He picked up a bowl of ramen and sat at a vacant table and began to eat. Right away he felt his energy return to his body.

“Ahh...” he let out a sigh as he drank his cup of green tea.
    Last edited by Victoria; 08-14-2007 at 12:47 PM.

Before Zeno made it past the door. A hand landed on his shoulder. He looked back to see the teacher givning him an evil stare. Zeno was scared with his eyes and mouth wide opened.

"Who have you permission to leave my class early?"

Zeno stared at him blank not knowing what to say. He shook his head to snap out of it.

"Uuuh I.....I..I don't have any spritual powers though sir."

"WHAT!?"

"I just found out, so I thought I would just leave forever."

The teacher took his hand off of Zeno's shoulder turned around and walked a little ways away. With his back still turned towards him he spoke.

"Really? Is that your excuse for quitting."

Zeno's green eyes grew wide in confusion.

"I beg your pardon sir?"

"You said you had no spritual powers. Lets see if your telling the truth or not."

The teacher turned his head. Zeno just stared had him blankly not knowing what to say. The teacher then pointed to fingers at him.

"BINDING SPELL THE FIRST SAI!!!"

After he said that Zeno's hands then locked behind him. It felt like chains where around his entire body. He stuggled to stand but he fell down on his side still restrained.

"What the..what did you do to me. You can't do that yet, can you?"

"Silence. Im doing this to prove a point. Now break out of it. If you can then that means you do have some talent for spituial powers after all."

Zeno's eyes looked up at the teacher standing over him, his teeth were clenched together trying to get out, but no matter how hard he tryed he couldn't break it.

"Of corse if you can't then you can leave and everyone will laugh at you."

"What did you just say?!"

The teacher smiled eviliy.

"I said you can give up and everyone will laugh and detest you for the rest of your exsistance saying how weak and pathetic you are ACADEMY DROPOUT STUDENT ZENOAH."

Hearing this from a teacher completely angered Zeno to a whole new level. His eyes were on fire from rage wanting to beat his teacher senseless of his cold remark. He then struggled has hard as he could. Cursing the binding spell in his mind all he wanted was to get his hands on that teacher. No one gets away talking down to him like that. Nobody. Eventually with his drive to smack the teacher he busted out of the binding spell. Zeno got up and glared at the teachers cold eyes. But he knodded.

"Congrats Academy Student Zenoah. If is confirmed you have sprit powers after.... uuf!!"

A sentence never finished because Zeno's phist went into his face. The teacher stood there with a red mark on his face, but like statue falling he fell on his back. It then hit Zeno that he made a big mistake. Zeno looked at his hands then at himself noticing that he broke out. But he knew he was in big trouble.

"Uuuh teacher, are you okaye??"

".............Thats detention for a week for lying."

"WHAT but you.."

"You want to make it two."

Zeno kept his mouth shut and nodded.
    Last edited by Oathkeeper13; 08-15-2007 at 06:50 PM.

The Quiet One Memories of a Shinigami (BLEACH Club Members only) Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The class had ended finally for Steph. It had been rough for him when he was finished, as he was the painful subject for trial and error for Shino. He was a little surprised with such natural fighting talent that this proved to be so difficult for her. Though he was more surprised how much his body ached from it all. There were a number of small bruises from when he fell over. As much as he was falling and being pulled he was just fortunate not be bleeding after the ordeal.

He parted company with Shino who had an interest in eating, but Steph did not feel hungry. It was said that using up spiritual energy made someone hungry and that eating replenished that supply. Though he never could remember ever being hungry. There was the occasional sweet that acted like a caffeine boost to wake up, but aside from that he never ate anything. He sometimes had the curiosity to eat, but I felt weird to him eating when he was dead. So he never tried.

Steph disappeared into the halls as the class emptied quickly with people starving for food. Most of them had used up most of their energy in the Kidou class that they needed food. A wise thing to do for those that were hungry. Steph made his way through the halls until he found himself in another courtyard. The academy seemed to be filled with them everywhere around the grounds. He did not mind though and smiled as he entered the green view.

This one was larger than the others he had been in and had frequent passes with students. Steph searched out an area that was not in sight of main path and lay against the trunk of a tree. He had a lot on his mind from just a single day that the moment to rest was welcomed. It was his hope that he would avoid the bullies that found him last time. He had meant to close his eyes and imagine the courtyard in his mind as a method to calm and clear his thoughts. However, he ended up falling asleep quickly.

When he woke he was in a familiar scene, one from his dreams. He knew immediately that he was asleep, but it had never happened before having the same dream. It made him cautious to know why it was so special to reappear to him. As he expected to happen, the woman of his dream appeared before him walking on the clouds in this upside down world of cherry blossoms. ‘The dream world again.’

“Still think this is a dream, it’s alright. You’ll understand in time.” The woman in the white kimono approached him stopping a few feet from him. When she bent down to look at him an image of Shino suddenly plastered across his eyes. The connection was instant and he blushed immediately. The woman grinned knowingly at Steph. “There another woman in your life now? You’re going to make me sad.” She turned away with her arms crossed sounding a little miff.

Steph did not know what to do. It was not what she was thinking. He ran around to face the woman to try to explain himself to her. “Its not what you think. It just…I-I…” Steph lost his words as he looked at the woman seeing his defeat.

The woman changed her expression quickly giggling softly as she knelt down to his level. “I’m just teasing you. You’re pretty cute. You were always so serious, but so it was fun to make you blush. Though it was harder to do when you were older.” She tapped him on his nose with her finger smiling at him to reassure him that nothing was wrong.

“Older? What do you mean?”

“Oh, so how were classes? Looked like you were having some troubles.”

“You can see what I’m doing?”

“Of course.” Steph became embarrassed again at her words only providing her with more reason to grin. “Don’t worry, I closed my eyes…most of the time.”

“What!?”

“I’m just kidding…maybe…”

It was difficult for Steph’s face not to be bright red at that point. He did not know if she was telling the truth or not. She seemed to be real enough to know what was going on when he was awake, but it could have just as easily been his own mind playing tricks on him. Though the more that he listened to the woman more trouble he had believing that he was just simply in a dream. However, he did not know what he was in if it was not a dream. There were so many mysteries developing around him.

“I think its time for class now.”

“But I don’t know your name yet-“ He was unable to finish his sentence before the world was gone. His words were finished as he jerked awake from the tree that he was resting against. There was a sound of footsteps rushing through grass, but he was too distracted by his dream to acknowledge it. ‘Stopped again…what is going on with me? Who is that woman and why does she know me?’

‘Though it was harder to do when you were older.’

‘And what did she mean by that. It seemed like a slip of the tongue, but maybe not. What’s she talking about?’ He stood up still in his thoughts uncertain what he was going to do about his dream. There was no one that he knew to talk about it. They would probably think that he was just dreaming it all up and tell him to forget it. He would have liked to forget it, but there was something about it that made him believe the woman.

“Oh no, she’s right! Class is going to begin soon.” Steph came to the realization from the warning bell that rung to alert those that were not in their classes that they would soon be late. “I overslept.” He rushed off to the next classes that he had been given directions to in the last class. Fortunately for him, he was near to the place where it was going to take place. It would not mean him being late, but not his usual prompt self that he liked to be.

When he arrived at the room he found it to be a large open field in the academy. There was no ceiling and if it were not for the distinctive class board and stack of chairs it would have passed for a courtyard. It was much larger than any of the other rooms he had seen before. Though the fact that the area had grass and the stone ground made him curious to know what it was going to be used for. All he knew was that it was a Shunpo class, but he did not know what it meant. It sounded Japanese to him, but he had not been in practice for Japanese, as everyone seemed to speak the same language in the Soul Society.

He crossed paths with Shino and Haruka who seemed to be giving each other looks. Steph was aiming to ignore them so not to get dragged in when they interrupted his walk by addressing him. “Hey, Steph what’s with-“

“What’s with the pigtails?”

“Interrupting me?” The two glared at each other again distracted once again. However, what was done was done now.

Steph confused by what they said looked around trying to figure out what they were talking about. It was then that he got whacked in the face by his hair that was tied up at one side. His initial reaction whipped his head around only to get hit by yet another part of his hair tied up. He slumped over and walked away to pull out what someone done to his hair, a couple girls he assumed.

While Steph worked through his hair the instructor, a woman, brought the attention of the unorganized mass of students to the front. “Alright! Listen up; this is a larger room so I don’t want any talking while I’m speaking. Welcome to the Shunpo Class, also know as the Flash Step.”

After Mugen had cleaned himself off from the explosion, he returned to the Kidou Class and joined Rei for the second half of the class. They stood opposite of each other, Mugen stared at Rei intently, Rei stared at Mugen with a smirk.

"I'll go first this time, Rei." Mugen said. She aknowledged with a nod. Mugen readied himself, he took a deep breath, and then exhaled. He then put boith his hands out in front of him, crossed over each other. "Bakudo #1: Restain!" Spirit energy coursed through Mugen's body and he succesfully performed the spell. Rei's arms locked behind her back. She tried to break free but was worthless.

"Ok, ok." She said. "You can release me now."

"What if I don't want to?" Mugen said in triumph

"Then I'll have to kick your ass anyway."

Mugen laughed heartily. He stood with his hands at his waist in a triumphant stance. Then he sighed, already full from the amount of pride he got from this. "Release." He said and the invisble bindings restraining Rei were released.

"Now it's MY turn for this." Rei said evily.

Mugen and Rei stood opposite from each other again. She copied him and took a deep breath then exhaled. She put her hands out in front of her and spoke the incantation. "Bakudo #1: Restrain." Mugen's hands became locked behind his back. He groaned at the discumfort. The instructor came by.

"Good, Ms. Rei." He said the her. "Now, Mr. Tsukiakari, break it!" Mugen groaned again. The veins in his forehead and arms began to bulge. Mugen began to yell as the strain on his body increased as he tried to break the Kidou spell. He managed to move his arms to his sides. He was more capable to break it like this than with his hands bound behind him. With one last yell he was able to break Rei's spell. He slumped to his knees.

"I'm... so... exhausted." He said out of breath. He laid on his back with his arms spread out. "Oh, man."

"Very good." The instructor said and left. He dismissed the class afterwards. Rei came over to Mugen and stood over him. She grabbed his arm and dragged him out.

"You are such a loser, Mugen." She said. Mugen's entire body ached. Rei dragging him across the floor wasn't helping. They went to the cafeteria quickly. Mugen ate some food and regained some of his strength. He was able to walk on his own to their next class.

Lady Succubus Memories of a Shinigami (BLEACH Club Members only) Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Shino dragged her feet from the classroom toward the cafeteria doorway. Each step took a good amount of strength from her body. She panted as she inched her way toward the doorway that lead into the cafeteria. She nearly made it to the end of the line when her stomach growled loudly.

“Ugh, I'm so tired... but I can't make it the rest of the way...Mai...”

Mai took the liberty to convince Shino to switch the eye patch. Her body grown too weary to trek the rest of the way to the back of the line. Mai picked out a meal that Shino would eat. They shared the same body, though their spirit force was something that was separate through their bodies. Each had their own reserve, that when combined, would cause too much stress on the body.

Mai placed her fingers on her eye patch to switch back to the exhausted Shino, but she saw Haruka walk toward her and smiled in a sweet demeanor and patted the place next to her.

“Why don't you come sit by me, Haruka-san?”

Haruka stopped in her tracks and blushed. “Er.. okay.” She sat down next to Mai and sighed.

Mai looked into Haruka's eyes intently and smiled. Today was the day she was going to tell Haruka herself that she had feelings for her. Though when Haruka glanced at her, she choked.

“So, how did you like Kidou class? Shino told me it was really hard for her.”

Kuragari continued to eat his meal at a slow pace and take the time to ease his mind of his earlier troubles. He took yet another sip from his tea and let out a sigh. He rubbed the bridge of his nose as the image of that disgusting looking behemoth haunted his mind.

“Where did it come from in the first place?” he thought to himself as he took another helping of his ramen. As time passed by him, he constantly wondered why that beast appeared before him in a dream. What did it all mean? He pondered for clues and wished he had a dream interpretation book right about now. Or perhaps someone could interpret it for him. But he didn't know anyone that could interpret dreams.

He sighed and took a sip of his tea and stared at the ceiling.

Morning Always Comes Memories of a Shinigami (BLEACH Club Members only) Xeim's Avatar
    Haruka carried her tray of food across the cafeteria as she searched for a place to sit. It wasn't easy to find a nice isolated area free of people content to sit and annoy her the whole time, so her search was pretty much unrewarded as of yet. She had just spotted the perfect place when she heard a voice in front of her.

"Why don't you come sit by me, Haruka-san?" Haruka looked down.

Eyepatch.

Check.

Sweet voice.

Check.

Unreasonably sized breasts. They look so squishy....Ack. What's up with me lately?

Check.

Black hair.

Check.

The person in front of her was definitely Sendo Mai.

"Er...okay," she said before sitting down.

Mai...Mai...Mai...Oh my god it's Mai. As in...Mai.

"So, how did you like Kidou class? Shino told me it was really hard for her," Mai stated nervously. It was an obvious attempt to start a conversation.

Haruka's mouth opened to respond, but no words came out. She really had no idea what to say. It was almost a full minute before she was able to utter a sound.

"Ah-uh-er-" she spluttered. " 'Twas fine."

"I see. Haruka-san? Are you alright? You look a little pale."

Boy was Haruka ever pale. Well, paler than normal that is. She was also sweating a bit. She had feelings for Mai; feelings she couldn't explain. Was it wrong to feel nervous?

"Here," Mai said sweetly. "Have some of Shino's coffee! She says it's really supposed to help when you don't feel well."

Haruka reached out cautiously. As she did, her arm shook a little, but she had to take the coffee. Anything to calm her down. Anything.

She lifted the small cup up to her mouth and allowed her nose to inhale the thick aroma. It smelled rather pungent to her, however, and she wasn't so sure about it all of a sudden.

"She says it's really supposed to help when you don't feel well."

Shino says, huh? Well, might as well give it a go.

And, at that moment, her lips came into contact with the deep, black-ish liquid. It was hot, and scalded her mouth. Heat rushed through her being like a wildfire, and she quickly went from sickly pale to deep red.

It tastes like...really hot mud. HOT! OH MY GOD, HOT!

"See?!" Mai cheered. "I knew it would help!"

And that was how the coffee ended up on Haruka's lunch.

"H-hot!" she gasped.

"Hmm... you didn't like it? You want some of my tea, then?" Mai asked sweetly.

"N-no!" Haruka roared.

"O-oh. I see. Well then…uhm…”

“I got detention,” Haruka said suddenly. She didn’t quite know why she said it. She just felt like she needed to tell someone. In a way it bothered her. She didn’t deserve the detention at all.

“W-why?” Mai asked looking genuinely concerned.

“I was late to class. I had an excuse, but the guy didn’t know. He gave me detention for not being able to perform well.” She sighed. “But, what can you do. Life happens.”

“Hmph. Well, I could try and help you! Maybe it would lessen the detention time…”

“Haha, I thought you said Shino had trouble? Wouldn’t that mean you would too?”

“N-no.” Mai looked down at her hands. "You know, I'm not my sister. We're two different people. And, I know when you look at me..." She trailed off. The poor woman looked miserable- as if her heart tore a little with each word.

"I know Mai," Haruka said simply. "I know. I’m sorry." She wrapped her arm around the taller woman's shoulders. Mai smiled slightly, and looked down at her food.

"Hey," Haruka started again. "Can I try some of your bacon?"

The Quiet One Memories of a Shinigami (BLEACH Club Members only) Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Kidou class was over and he walked out of the room behind the students. He was feeling as exhausted as everyone else was from repeatedly using their energy. It was a tiring effort and glad that it was over now. His arms were aching from the binding spell. The partner he had practiced a few too many times on him leaving it painful for him to move them. She had apologized frequently for it, but it had not stopped her from continuing. All he could do was sigh to himself and get through the class hoping that each day would not be so painful.

“See you at lunch, Kagashi!” one of them said running off ahead very eager. The thought of eating sounded good to him as well. He had depleted too much energy and he needed to eat something. It was strange how the two seemed to be connected together. After all the time of being dead in this state eating still seemed so nature. Life did not seem to end in the manner that he had expected.

A rumbling in his stomach hurried his pace through the halls to find some food. His originally slowed pace from the classroom left a large gap between him and everyone else. This became apparent to him as he entered the room where everyone was eating eagerly. There was a long line of students waiting for food as it had been before in the morning. It still surprised him how many people were at the academy, but he did not remain in thought too long. He rushed to pick his spot in the ever-growing line hoping that he would not be eating on his way to his next class.

As he feared though it took a long time for him to get his meal. People were still going around looking for seats to eat as though they had time to do so. Kagashi could only laugh under his breath at their attempts to find time and then savagely plow through their meal before it was time to leave. They had no delicacy in their manner, but given that they were behind it only made sense. Either way, Kagashi walked away from them all deciding to relegate himself to eating on his way back even if it looked strange.

He started to slowly eat working through the crowded room until he felt something strange. There was a familiar presence in the air and it was then that he realized that his eyes were looking straight at Haruka-chan. He found his feet walking himself over to the table that she was sitting at talking with another girl. Kagashi did not want to interrupt them, but he could not control his feet anymore. As he got closer he could see the two of them being very close themselves with an arm around the other. ‘What am I doing, I should be going to class.’

It did not take long for him to be standing before the two girls. He had seen the girl with Haruka before during the morning meal. Just watching them gave him a strange feeling that he should not be around interrupting something. He could feel his face becoming red suddenly as his mouth wanted to speak. If it were not for his food he would be throwing his hands across his face at the moment. However, he was already embarrassed enough that he could not make a scene. “H-hey, Haruka-chan…” He thought that he was going to drop his food at that moment his hands were sweating so much. ‘I shouldn’t be here…I need to run, but my legs…’

“Uh! K-ka-ka-kagashi!” Haruka said flustered dividing herself suddenly from the other girl looking away with a red face. “It-its…”

“A-a…” Kagashi had found himself with no voice suddenly complicating the situation for him. He had no control and something wanted to be said yet nothing was coming out. ‘I can’t just stand here! Say something idiot!’ The moment dragged on as he stuttered for a word. A sharp kick to his back in his imagination threw off his balance knocking him around nearly sending his food flying into the air. He was able to stop it before anything happened. “H-how did Kidou class…go for you, Haruka-chan?” Kagashi sighed to himself disappointed in what he said and fighting for his legs.

“It went well…”

“Yeah…me too.” His body was sweating even with the temperature of the room being cool. ‘That was smooth…got to run now…’

“Hi! I’m Mai,” the other girl said suddenly shattering the tension with brazen cluelessness almost. It was difficult to see if it was intentional or absentmindedness.

“Uh, I’m Kagashi-“ At that moment it seemed that Mai had broke the grip that was around his legs and he bolted immediately. He could not stand being around longer feeling like he was the intruder. It was not until he was half way down the hall that he looked to see his meal a complete mess. It was thrown around the tray not even appetizing anymore. There was only a piece of bread that looked to be good still. ‘What came over me…next time I’ll do better…’ He threw the food away taking the bread with him munching on it slowly as he entered the Shunpo class.

When he walked in he could see that there were few people gathered at the moment. It was still very early, but he knew that it was going to be a long day now. ‘How many times can I make a fool of myself in a single day?’ He sat down in the grass chewing through the bread as more entered. It was not long before he saw Haruka and Mai enter the room. They walked in together making Kagashi feel uncomfortable. He tried to hide himself around some other students.

The class was coming to a start soon when Steph entered looking like he had the day of the field trip. It almost made Kagashi laugh at him remembering that day. It had been so long, he had forgotten how much Steph was on the receiving end of pranks. Though as he was thinking about it he remembered he helped one time. He tried to look the other way as Steph ended up standing nearby him.

“Hey, Upper—uh Kagashi,” Steph said stumbling around his words.

“Oh, hey Steph…need help with that?”

“Oh, thanks. They made them really tight this time,” Steph said smiling up at him. Kagashi turned away for a moment trying not to be infected by Steph’s aura of pleasantness. The class soon began while he helped Steph with his hair. Steph seemed so much like a younger brother or sister, even if that seemed a little strange. He wondered why such a person entered the academy to begin with; he seemed too kind and gentle of a spirit for this.

“Alright! Listen up; this is a larger room so I don’t want any talking while I’m speaking. Welcome to the Shunpo Class, also know as the Flash Step.”

Blog Entries
    “Hey,” Haruka coined. “Can I try some of your bacon?”

Mai turned her head down and glanced at her plate. Soon, a voice in her mind chimed in. “Hey goober, can I eat now?

Mai remembered about Shino's starvation and how it had been vital for Shino to eat. But she wanted only a moment more with Haruka.

“Yes, you can have a piece. But just so you know, this is Shino's food. Shino had used up a lot of her reiatsu and needs to eat, so I'll let you go ahead and have this piece of bacon.” Mai picked up a piece of bacon and put it on Haruka's plate. Her cheeks flushed as she smiled.

Mai leaned on her elbow and watched Haruka eat her food. She sighed and took a glance at her own tray and had reminded herself about Shino again.

“I'm sorry, Haruka-san... but I have to go now. Shino has to eat or else she'll pass out... I'll see you again.” she smiled sweetly and waved.

Stupid Shino... why did you have to go and waste so much energy?

Just then, she noticed the boy she saw at the earlier meal. She sensed Haruka's embarrassment when she distanced herself. Mai frowned on the inside, but she still smiled. “Hi, I'm Mai!” she waved.

She swung the patch around her head and covered her eye. A growl emerged from Shino's stomach in a loud bellow. She looked at her plate with glistened, wide eyes that glowed with an eager aura. She gulped and licked her lips. She took a slice of her bacon and took a huge bite of it. The food traveled down her pipe and into her stomach. She took a sip of her coffee to wash it down. The warm sensation of the caffeine traveled throughout her body and sent a tingle in every direction. Her body shuddered as she quickly ate the rest of the food on her plate.

In the end, Shino patted her stomach and released a soft belch.

Excuse me...” she spoke as she let out a satisfied sigh as she pat her chest. She turned her head and glanced over at Haruka. She smirked and opened her mouth to speak, but a hiccup released itself instead.

So,” she began and hiccuped, “how'd you like,” she hiccuped once more, “the coffee?” she hiccuped.

“It burned my tongue, damn whore.”

That's why you should have blown on it a bit first and taken a small sip.” Shino took the last sip of her coffee and sighed. Then Haruka realized what had just happened and blushed, but at the same time bit her bottom lip.

Shino glanced back at Haruka and raised a brow. “What?

“...Nothing.” she snapped back.

Ah, I see. Well then.” she cleared her throat and stood up. She nodded her head toward the door.

Shall we head to class, then? Lunch is almost over, you know.” she grinned loosely with her tongue between her lips.

“Pfft... fine. Just let me finish my food.” Haruka reluctantly finished her meal after a moment and belched. She patted her chest and picked up her plate. The two girls emptied their trays and set them on the platform above the trash bin.

They walked out of the cafeteria and toward the door that withheld the Shunpo class. Shino teased Haruka and opened the door. She bowed and ushered Haruka in first.

You first, Princess.” she smirked with a sly grin.

Haruka's heart raced and her cheeks blushed deep red. Her eyes glared back to Shino with a cold demeanor. She snarled at Shino and faced away with her chin up.

“Hmph.” she walked ahead and Shino followed close by. They stood in an empty area together and exchanged glares. A moment later, the two noticed simultaneously that Steph almost passed by them.

“Hey, Steph, what's with-” Haruka began.

What's with the pigtails, cute little girl?” Shino finished with a sly grin. She chuckled to herself as Haruka glared at Shino.

“Interrupting me, huh?” Haruka coined. She leaned her forehead against Shino's and stared into her eye.

Tamashi rolled his neck around and glanced at his ramen bowl. He picked it up and slurped up what remained in the bowl. He cleared his throat and stood up. He took his tray to one of the trash bins and emptied the trash into the bin and placed the tray on the platform above the bin.

He opened the cafeteria door and stepped out and headed for the next class. If he remembered correctly, it was Shunpo. His mind repeatedly processed his dream and possible interpretations on what it meant. Was it meant to scare him straight? Was he supposed to be more humble? He admitted that he had sort of an anti-social demeanor. If the dream was meant to scare him straight, perhaps the time had come for him to be friendlier towards others.

A few moments passed and he made his way into Shunpo class and stood near Kagashi as usual, as he was really the only one he knew throughout the whole academy, aside from Steph. They were roommates, after all.

“Yo,” he said as he waved his fore and middle fingers. A moment or two later, two girls walked in together. One obviously teased the other and treated her as if she were a princess. He vaguely remembered the girl on the receiving end of the tease. But the other girl was Shino, he noticed. Did Shino swing both ways? She acted very peculiar with Haruka. He shrugged it off as Steph came in another moment later. Steph stood on the opposite end of Kagashi.

“Yo, Steph.” he waved with his two fingers and glanced behind Kagashi's body.

The teacher began to finally speak. “Welcome to the class of the Flash Step. More commonly known as Shunpo.”
    Last edited by Victoria; 08-26-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    Steph had been glad for Kagashi’s aid with his hair. It became a painful reminder of what it had been like when he was school. He thought that he had left behind the times of pranks and childish jokes. This was supposed to be an academy for learning to be a shinigami, where everyone was more mature. Though reality was often more disappointingly not the perfect picture that was imagined. Steph feared how many more preconceived concepts of the Seireitei were going to be scattered before he got down to the truth.

‘Is all of this worth being a shinigami? Do I really want to be one anyway? I’ve always lived off of a whim in this afterlife, but this is the first time I’m doing something of meaning. Yet I don’t have any meaning. I just did it for a change, something new. What is this going to mean for me if I continue?’ Steph sighed to himself as the instructor began her first lesson on shunpo.

As he listened to her he began to worry again. It was about spirit energy manipulation in a completely different manner than before. He did not know if he could manage to do what was required for this. The little that he could summon up always managed to exhaust him quickly before he could make real use of it. Now she wanted him to use it to run. This was going to be another class that he felt that he was going to fail. It was not an encouraging thought, but he could not help being realistic about his chances.

The process did not make a lot of sense to him, but spirit energy was completely new to him. He had only learned about it today. Well, he did hear things about it in passing in the Rukon, but he never paid it much attention. Now he was expected to do so much with something that he just was learning. He wondered how many of the others were in similar positions. The others seemed to have an understanding of controlling putting them in a better position than him.

He was just thankful that this did not require a partner like the last two classes did. Much of his body was sore from them that he did not know what he would do if he had to go through even more torture from his classmates. However, he did not have any more time to dwell on it as the class began to separate out to begin their lesson. It was going to be a long class for Steph.

Kagashi put some distance between him and everyone else given him enough room for what they had to do. If it worked out correctly they would end up a small distance from where they started. He just hoped that he did not run into anyone during the practice. There were so many students in the room that it seemed inevitable to happen to someone. However, he was only concerned if they hit him and began to focus on the task at hand.

Now that his energy was recharged by the food that he had eaten and the time of rest he was ready to try this. His only worry was how long before he ran out of spirit energy to use and became too exhausted to make further attempts. He just had to be sparing with what he had. The last class gave him a sense of how much he had and when it became depleted. Kagashi was going to have ration it out if he was going to make enough attempts.

‘Need to focus…at my feet…’ It was as difficult as he thought it would be trying to bring it down to his feet. There was something natural about using it in his hands, but it was different story for the feet. This was supposed to make them move faster and at greater distances, but it seemed to go against nature. He just wanted to run to the point, but he knew that was not the exercise. Kagashi relaxed his shoulders and body trying to direct it to his feet, but there was no reference point.

He looked around to see that many of the students were still having trouble like him while some were already attempting to move. Some of the attempts were humorous as people fell on their backs unable to keep a stable flow. There were a couple that seemed to grasp it quickly, but were only making small steps, though successful. Most could not maintain the focus for the time and different actions required.

His own attempt to focus continued to fail for several tries until he finally got it to work after about ten minutes of standing still. It was much easier once he got the feeling down and was able to hold it for longer than a couple seconds. The efforts were making him tired though as he could feel it taxing his concentration. He still had plenty of energy to try, for which he was glad.

Kagashi made his first effort in a controlled step and maintaining his energy. Unfortunately, the moment he shifted his weight and balance his concentration was lost. His spirit energy changed knocking his feet off from under him sending him to the grass quickly. The soft earth was a welcome sight to the hard stone floors that he could have landed on. There was no time for him to waste on his back. He stood back up shaking himself off to get back into his concentration and relax everything. His feet stood ready for another chance of it, as was his body.

The next attempt went better, but he could not maintain his balance long before the spirit energy was dispersed. After several more attempts to gain his confidence he was ready to do the real deal. He took several long breaths and hoped that he would not land on his face. ‘Here I go, if I kiss dirt I’ll just try again. And try not to look around…’ His focus began set evenly around his feet and his muscles were tensing in preparation to launch. He bent down a little as though to sprint feeling the tingle of his legs inching to be released. Then he launched letting go of every invisible bond on him leaping forward into what felt like a sprint to him, but the world seemed to be moving slowly around him. The awe of the sight broke his concentration dropping him out leaving him several steps away from where he had been a second before.

The presence of the instructor caused him to turn around quickly. She was eying him as though to take his measure. “It was short, but better than most I’ve seen today. You started slow, but understood the basics and used that foundation to achieve a superior shunpo. Most usually rush through ending up with a poor shunpo that is too slow. Continue.”

“Thank you…” Kagashi said bowing politely to her as she passed on to berate someone. He was encouraged by the compliment and refocused his efforts on improving. As time passed by he managed to get a few feet further, but it was difficult to maintain with the stress that he was feeling. His body had never been through such extreme forces and even though it seemed like he was moving normally his muscles still complained to him. But he persisted through the pain making to the near to the end of the class period when he made a slip up. It sent him sliding across the grass stopping near to Steph.

He entire body had been exhausted with his muscles did not want to move on him. His spirit energy was nearly gone as was his concentration. It had all collapsed on him in the last attempt breaking down on him. Kagashi was finished for the day he could tell. Steph knelt down to him looking at him with a cheerful smile still on his face. Kagashi wondered how he could still be smiling even now after all he had seen him do. He looked closely at Steph and there was not even any sweat coming off his as though he did not have sweat. ‘That’s strange…I know he has been trying as hard as anyone else, maybe even more so. He’s done a few successful steps, but he just keeps getting back up as though he never runs out. What is he?’

“Need a hand?”

“Thanks…” Kagashi said as Steph feebly pulled on him. He did most of the work and Steph just looked like he was helping, but Steph just smiled back to him. “Hey…um, how are you doing?”

“I guess it’s coming to me. Better than using a sword,” Steph said laughing at himself while rubbing his hand through his hair trying not to be too embarrassed.

“Are you tired?”

“Huh…hmm…now that I think about I guess I’m not.” Kagashi stared him at him confused that Steph was so nonchalant about it. Steph simply shrugged his shoulders not caring and returned that same smile. It was a little jarring for Kagashi, but the innocence in his face made him forget.

Steph nodded to Kagashi and resumed his own efforts. He had been trying for the last hour to go further than a foot. Unfortunately, every time that he had his energy set and started to move it ran out on him. The instructor had been by to watch him since Steph was not sure if he was achieving what everyone was from what he had observed. It had worried him a little that he was failing, but he kept going on not letting it worry him. When the instructor watched she had confirmed that he was doing everything correctly, he just was not maintaining the energy to keep it going. Even after an hour he had not been able to change that. He hoped that it would be enough to prove that he could pass if it did not improve soon enough. ‘Though even still is a single step in shunpo going to be that useful?’

The class came to an end soon after and Steph had not been any more successful than before. He had seen others go several feet, even Kagashi had done it. It made him wonder why his energy was so low and if he could make it larger. If that happened he knew that he would be able to do more, at least he believed that he would. Though he did not let it bother him too much, he was pleased that he was able to eventually figure out how to mold the energy correctly.

Steph had spent the first hour struggling through the effort of channeling his energy. Each time he tried it ended up going to his palms instead. At one point his instructor snapped at him about how he was doing it wrong. The tip that she provided was a push in the right direction, but it still left him perplex for a while. Once he understood what he had to do and got the feeling right he was able to repeat it, even if it took him a while. Eventually, it became more natural like making a sphere. The concentration and balance went by quickly for him as he did not seem to have any trouble with it. He ended up going straight to attempting the shunpo, but failed for a while. It was not until the instructor watched him that he learned that he was actually doing it correctly. That small piece of positive news was enough to keep him going.

Since the class was over now everyone was leaving along with Steph, but Kagashi stopped him. “You want to go somewhere since class is finished for the day?” Steph was a little surprised that Kagashi was asking him. He had not planned on doing anything, but going back to sleep. Though doing something with Kagashi seemed like a nice idea to him as well.

“Yeah, sure I don’t mind.”

‘Maybe I can get some answers now,’ Kagashi thought to himself as he began to walk away.

“Hey, leaving me out of the fun, Kagashi? Don’t mind me coming along do you?” Kuragari said jumping up with Kagashi suddenly. He leaned against as though to insist.

‘Guess it can’t be helped…’ Kagashi looked over at Kuragari giving him a nod. “Yeah, sure. Steph you know a quiet place?”

“Me? Uh, I think so.” Steph was not really sure at all, but he figured that he would think up something. The three walked out of the classroom together going through the halls. They wandered around for a while at Steph’s lack of direction until they arrived a spot that Steph weakly said that he was looking for the entire time. Though when he saw it he knew that it was perfect. It was a large balcony several floors up over looking the entire Seireitei providing a magnificent view of where they were planning on being eventually. “So what was it that you wanted to do up here?”

Kagashi walked forward to the ledge of the balcony not saying a word hiding behind his scarf as the wind took it into flight. Kuragari and Steph walked up next to him looking at him. There was a serious expression on his face, though Steph had always seen him with such an expression. He always seemed to be a mood or look like there was something wrong acting like he wanted to talk about it, but did not want to say anything and let someone bring it up. Steph did not enjoy playing mind games like that and did not really care too much about if it was not brought up. He was not going to pry. After another minute of silence Steph leapt up to the wood craved ledge and sat down, his body fitting perfectly on the very narrow ledge.

“What was it that you wanted?” Kuragari said.

Kagashi finally spoke after a moment, “Its nothing.” He closed his eyes feeling the evening breeze wash over him. ‘This is not how I wanted it…’

“Must be something.”

Steph swung his legs up and down against the railing of the rails enjoying the coming night. He was going to let the two of them knock against a brick wall rather than join. The breeze was making him content enough that he did not need anymore to satisfy.

“Its nothing…”

“Repeating yourself won’t make me leave.”

After a little more prodding from Kuragari he said something more than two words. Though it was not what Steph was expecting. “Why do you want to be a shinigami? Both of you?” Kagashi raised his hand up lifting his scarf up over his chin since the breeze had set it thickly around his neck.

Steph swung his legs more trying to think of an answer to give Kagashi, but coming up short. It was something that he had no answer for at the moment. He did not know himself and to talk him would only seem like making up an empty reason. Though Kagashi was still waiting for a reply. “I don’t know. I’ve been trying to figure it out. This was a just whim. An opportunity for change came to me and I decided to take it. That’s about all there is to it. Sorry, I don’t have a meaningful answer for you.”

“Kuragari?”

That Shino…gah. I have better things to think about.

Haruka directed all of her consciousness into an attempt to channel her spirit energy into her feet. It was harder than she thought it would be, but surprisingly easier than kidou. Really, it was a nice feeling. The energy pooling at her feet warmed up her feet and legs, and relaxed her. But she knew that just getting it down there wasn't enough. She also had to mold it perfectly into her feet. This was the hard part. Suddenly having to precisely mold a substance that you didn't even know existed before today is never an easy feat.

It seemed to be going well. Energy flowed over Haruka's feet in almost perfect shape. There was not a single area in her feet lacking the pooled energy, but there were some areas that had too much. But, this was as good as it was going to get. Haruka tensed her muscles and readied herself to jump.

Leaving the ground was always an exhilarating experience. If didn't last long though, and she soon hit the ground again. So hard in fact, that it caused her to lose balance and fall onto the ground. Many students around her were having similar experiences. But, for some reason this made Haruka determined. She wanted to excel in this class. For some reason, the feeling of this 'shunpo' really appealed to her. She wanted more than anything to excel.

And so, she tried again. This time though, she tried to iron out all the little lumps in her spirit energy, until it was perfect. It took a good three minutes, but finally she was ready. She snapped her eyes open, and prepared to jump again. But this time, she wouldn't treat it as a jump. She understood now, that it was almost more of an extended step. A combination of walking and jumping if you will.

And her method worked. She quickly faded out of sight of her peers' eyes, only to reappear seconds later about one or so feet away from where she started.

“Very good, Miss….” The instructor said.

“Tokoyami.”

“Very nice Miss Tokoyami. How many times have you tried?”

“Uhm, that was my second sensei.”

“Your second? Really? Very, very, nice work then. Keep at it.”

“Of course, sensei.”

>>><<<

The rest of shunpo class progressed in the same manner. Every once in a while Haruka would slip up and fall over upon landing, but mostly she managed to make some pretty good jumps. She never broke the two-foot mark, but she knew with some practice she'd get better.

The class ended, and Haruka began to make her way out of the room. Just as she was approaching the door however, Fukumi came up behind her and shoved her aside.

“Don't forget your date in the kidou room, baka,” she sneered.

Haruka inwardly moaned. She had forgotten all about her detention! She really, really didn't want to go, but unfortunately…she had to. At least she could enjoy her evening meal in the meantime. Haruka made the trek to the cafeteria, got her food, and sat down. She had picked out an isolated table furthest from the food counter. Not many people sat in the portion of the room. In fact, Haruka was the only one at her table so far. She looked down at her plate. It held something resembling a BLT- bacon, cheese and a tomato slcie resting upon a bagel. It looked good, but the bacon made her flash back to lunch. And Mai. Now that she was alone, she actually had time to think about her feelings.

She flashed back to the day she died. The whole scene was fuzzy to her now, as if it was fading away. Haruka supposed it didn't matter much; as you can't miss something if you forget it. But, she still remembered the way she felt around Kagashi. It could only be described as a crush- a rather intense one actually. She knew that if she had had the chance, she would've agreed to go on that date with him. That feeling remained the same, even now. But what if Mai had asked?

Haruka had never really thought about the fact that she might like women as well. The whole thing seemed foreign to her, but here she was pondering it. Mai made her feel really safe, and really vulnerable at the same time. She didn't know why, but she liked that feeling. She- she liked Mai.

But whom did she wish to move into a relationship with? That was the one major question that Haruka just didn't know how to answer. Perhaps if she just had a few hours to herself…

“Tokoyami! Tokoyami Haruka!” a voice called over the PA system that was evidently present in the shinigami academy. “Tokoyami, the kidou teacher would like you to report to the kidou room early for your,” there was a pause, “training session.”

And click. Haruka looked down at her untouched food. She really was hungry, but for some reason, she just didn't want to eat. And so, she did as she was told, and set out for the kidou room.

>>><<<

“Aww man! This really sucks, ya know that?” said a laid-back, but still rather agitated voice. Haruka had heard that voice from somewhere before…

And then she entered the Kidou room. Sitting in one of the desks near the front was a blonde haired man. He appeared quite a few years older than Haruka's own twenty-four years of age, but when he turned around and she was able to look into his eyes, he took on an almost childish appearance.

“Haruka, there you are! This is Kasuma Zenoah-” began the instructor.

“I told you, it's Zeno!” the blond man cut in.

“Um, Hajimemaste,*” Haruka said, bowing and supressing a chuckle, though she thought she had seen him before.

“Same,” Zeno grunted back.

Haruka walked in and took a seat next to Zeno.

“You're both here for detention. You'll be personally trained in kidou by-”

“Um, excuse me? I'm here to aid in the detention,” said a quiet voice.

Haruka turned around, and her eyes settled on none other than- Sendo Mai.

“Mai?! What are you doing here?” Haruka yelled.

*Hajimemaste- basically nice to meet you, though the direct translation would be more along the lines of “first time”.

Mugen and Rei made it to the class just in time. They literally only had seconds before the class would start and they would've gotten in trouble. Fortunately for them, Mugen regained his strength surprisingly fast.

“Alright! Listen up!" The instructor began. "This is a larger room so I don’t want any talking while I’m speaking. Welcome to the Shunpo Class, also know as the Flash Step.”

Mugen looked at Rei confusingly. "It's basically a really long jump." She said whispering.

"Oi! I said no talking, please!" The teacher yelled out. Rei bowed and apologized.

After the teacher showed the class what to do, she let them loose. Mugen looked around and recognized many faces he knew from when he was alive. He and Rei went in an open part of the room to practice. Rei wanted to go first. Since it involved spirit energy, whe was quite eager to try it. She had become a master in the short time she had been in Soul Society.

"Ok... 'Focus your spirit energy at your feet.'" She was repeating what the instructor had told them to do to herself. Mugen stood aside, watching Rei mumble to herself. It was at least five minutes until she performed the Flash Step. When she did do it, Mugen had only blinked and she was gone. Rei reapeared just six feet ahead of him, even that length at this level was amazing. The teacher came by and told her to do it again. Rei repeated the steps but in just a fifth of the first time. This time, her Step was about a foot shorter than her first.

"Very good." The teacher told her. "Now Mr...?"

"My name is Mugen Tsukiakari." He finished.

"Mr. Tsukiakari, it's your turn now."

Mugen seemed nervous. Rei came by and smiled at him, an assuring smile. "Alright... I try-"

"- Not try. Do." The teacher interupted him.

Mugen planted his feet squarely on the floor. I hope I don't blow up like in Kidou Class. He thought. He focused his spirit energy at his feet. There was a small wave that eminated from them as his spirit energy pushed away some dust. A moment later, he grunted and disappeared from Rei's sight. He appeared only 1.2 meters out. Almost half of what Rei made. When he landed, he almost lost his balance and stumbled a bit.

"Again!" The instructor yelled. Mugen looked back at her, she nodded and he tried it again. Like Rei, he lost a foot, but he stumbled forward, barely catching himself. "That was... adequate. Good job both of you. Now try it again." She congradulated Mugen and Rei. She left to go deal with the others. They listened to her and tried the Step over and over again. Mugen noticed that he was getting shorter each and every time, even if it was only by an inch.

The instructor introduced him to Haruka. He felt that he saw her before but he wasn't sure. He closed his head and leaned his head on the desk. He then lifted his head in surprise when he heard the word "Kidou."

"Dude were goanna learn Kidou. All right now your talken. Heh I should get in trouble more often. I usually never get in trouble."

Zeno smiled flattering himself.

"Alright this is the other thing I wanted to learn to become a Soul Reaper."

He looked at Haruka with an evil smile.

"You do know what this means right? If I remember corectly. Kidou also known as Demon Arts. Now if I remember corectly there are two diffrent types. Bakudou, and Hadou. Bakudou is binding type spells and Hadou blasting type spells."

Before he relized he saw another person named Mai. Though Zeno had no idea who she was. Zeno then nodded his head towards her. It was his way of saying hi.

"Well lets do this then. I wanna learn Kidou."
    Last edited by Oathkeeper13; 11-08-2007 at 11:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Shino took her learning experience from the earlier Kidou lecture and concentrated her energy flow toward her feet the moment class began. Since she was a natural martial artist, she easily understood the concept of Shunpo. She easily cleared several meters and accomplished a chain of flash steps. A light bulb went off in her head and before she knew it, she was combo training with the inclusion of Shunpo.

The sensei noticed her advanced training and smirked. She noted to herself to give Shino high marks in the class. An hour later, the bell rang and the class ended. Shino yawned and walked through the door and switched her eyepatch.

Mai made her way to the Kidou classroom for the coming tutor session with Haruka. Her cheeks flushed throughout her trip because all she could think about was how to make Kidou enjoyable to Haruka. Before she realized, she arrived at the door and opened it. The sensei went over the basics with her and she understood them with no trouble at all. That was when the two students showed up for detention.

The sensei introduced Mai and Haruka seemed to be surprised.

“Mai?! What are you doing here?” Haruka widened her eyes and shouted in surprise. Sweat rolled down the side of her face from the unexpected presence of the girl her mind had thought about all day so far. Her heart skipped a beat as she gulped and bit her lower lip.

Mai jumped from being frightened by the sudden shout. She then smiled embarrassingly and gave a cheesy salute. She bowed and ushered Haruka to sit down at her seat. She bowed to the sensei and stood at the front of the classroom with a nervous yet eager expression written on her face.

She took a deep breath to calm her nerves and released the tension with her sigh. She turned around and wrote her name on the white board, along with the name of the after school class she was in charge of.

“Zeno-kun. Haruka-sama. The two of you are here today to learn the basics of Kidou. If you both follow my instructions carefully, you should be able to walk away today with complete understanding with how Kidou works.” she cleared her throat and walked toward Haruka's desk and stood in front of her.

“Since Haruka-sama was late to class today, she'll have first dibs of today's lesson plan,” she leaned down and looked Haruka in the eye and smiled. “isn't that right, Haruka-sama?”

Since Mai's cleavage was right in front of her, her focus was lost and she delayed in responding to Mai. She gulped and bit her lower lip while her head nodded in agreement. Mai stood straight and walked back to the front of the white board.

She began to explain the principles of Kidou and how to extract spirit particles from one's body to make a formidable shape. Mai easily concentrated and created a sphere from her spirit energy. She instructed Haruka and Zeno rigorously, yet with much care and positive encouragement whenever they accomplished the task correctly.

The whole class took a few hours and it was already nightfall by the time they were finished. Haruka had been able to successfully manipulate her spirit energy and even cast a restrain spell from the first try.

The two girls left the classroom hall and walked back to their dormitory room, where Mai would get an unexpected surprise. Haruka glanced toward Mai and then peered away with red cheeks.

“You know, Mai... I have to hand it to you. You were a really great teacher back there, but... How did you learn all about Kidou in such a short amount of time?”

“Well, to be honest, the teacher just went over the basics with me, but I learned most of it from when Shino was in the class.” Mai scratched the back of her head as she glanced toward Haruka and giggled.

“Oh, right. That makes sense.” Haruka's blushed cheeks turned back to normal as she made eye contact with Mai as they neared their bedroom door.

“I have to tell you, though... we have a new roommate, and well...erm...” she sweat-dropped and opened the door to their doom and peeked inside. Just as she thought, the lazy woman was fast asleep.

“What's wrong, Haruka?” Mai touched cheeks with Haruka while peeking through the door. Haruka blushed and stood up quickly. “Oh, erm, nothing.. Hahaha. Nothing at all.” she smiled and scratched the back of her head.

Mai smiled and opened the door to walk in and then what her eyes came across made her bite her lip and giggle sadistically. She turned her head toward Haruka with a sincere smile.

“Is this what you wanted to tell me about, Haruka?” her innocent face withheld a large darkness within that when unleashed, would likely put the entire soul society in high alert.

Haruka gulped and nodded. She pointed at the girl that was asleep. “It's her stuff. I told her it was your bed, but she didn't care. She said that you'd clean it.”

“Oh, did she now?” Mai continued to smile and walked over to the girls bed and sat at her bedside and slipped her hair aside and hovered her lips closely over the girl's ear. She blew air softly into the girl's ear.

A warm tingle sensation spread throughout her body and she yawned and opened her eyes slowly. Her blurred vision slowly came into focus. On top of her in a questionable position was a fellow female who obviously was more well endowed than she was.

“What do you want, woman?” she queried as she sat up and yawned. Mai smiled sincerely and leaned in real close. Their lips nearly touched. She slowly turned her face and looked upon her bed with which was covered with this girl's belongings. She spotted a name tag, which had this girl's name on it. She turned Junko's face along with hers to look at her mess.

“Would you be so kind as to take your belongings off of my bed, please?” Mai asked nicely.

Junko sighed as she glanced at her stuff while this big breasted woman sat across from her on her own bed. Who did this girl think she was?

“No, that's okay. I can't be bothered. You do it for me, thanks.” Junko yawned and laid back down. Mai's tolerance vein popped, yet she still continued to give a sweet smile.

“Oh, I see. That's a shame,” she pouted. She leaned down slowly and whispered some words into Junko's ear as her breasts pressed against hers. Junko's cheeks flushed as sweat began to form. Her eyes widened with fear as her heart pumped faster.

“Please... don't,” Junko gulped as the color in her skin faded away and left a pale shell. “Anything but that...” she added.

“Oh? You don't want me to say that you worship Vice Captain Renji by kissing his poster every morning?” Mai covered her mouth in mock surprise. Her eyes glistened as she glanced at Junko. Junko blushed as she looked back at her, and bit her lip. “Oops. I said it.”

“Ahh! Noo!How did you know about that?!” She glared at Mai with fright.

Mai just simply smirked and giggled softly as she sat up on Jumko's bed. She turned to glance away from Junko with a malice-filled grin and suddenly, her eyes shined with gold.

“You really want to know?” she glanced toward Haruka and smiled, and her eyes turned toward Junko. Junko gulped and glanced side to side, and then toward Haruka. Haruka shrugged with sweat running down her brow. She wiped it away and suddenly had a new found respect for Mai. Or perhaps it was fear. She wasn't quite sure of the feeling she had yet.

“Ehh... On second thought...” she gulped and drooped her head. Mai seemed to be the wrong girl to argue with, as she would only prolong her own humiliation and only wear herself out. “...I'll just clean my mess. I'm sorry.”

A few minutes passed and Mai's bed was free of clutter and Junko placed her belongings in their proper place. When the deed was done, Mai let out a huge sigh and plopped onto her bed.

“Ahh.. I'm so tired...”

Haruka and Junko looked at each other and sighed as well.

“Is she always like this?” Junko asked.

“Honestly, this is the first time I've seen her like this. And frankly...” Haruka sighed and scratched her head. “It scares me.”

“Join the club.” The two girls glanced at the slumbering Mai and shook their heads and resumed their prior business.

~~~~~~

“Why do you want to be a shinigami?” Steph had asked. The two listened to Kagashi's resolved tale of reason behind his motives. Then Steph had explained his reasons, and then it was Tamashi's turn to spill his beans. He gave a deep sigh and sat down on the ground and looked up at the sky and scratched the back of his head.

“Tch.. what a pain...” he mumbled to himself, “It's a long story, and I don't feel like sitting here for a long time. So I'll just sum it up for you.”

He looked toward the two fellows near him and sighed and cracked his neck before he began his tale of sadness and vengeance. He opened his lips to speak, and the words that seeped out of his mouth were none that were to be expected.

“...On second thought, it's complicated. I promise I'll tell you later. For right now, it'll be suffice to say that one of my relatives died and I saw their spirit eaten by a hollow. I don't know how or why, but I could see spirits. So I vowed to myself to never let anyone be eaten by a hollow again.”

He sighed and wished he had a cup of tea to relax with.
    Last edited by Victoria; 12-03-2007 at 07:39 PM.

Zeno did his best in Kidou class. By the time they were down it was night outside.

"Aw man done already. Just when I was fianlly getting the hang of it."

When everyone left to go back to their dorms Zeno came back to the deserded class room. His green eyes gazed left and right making sure no one was around. When he was sure it was empty he walked in and stretched his muscles out.

"Ok I think im good. Now lets see. Which spell should I try to master? Lets see if I can pick from memory. I don't really like binding spells. So I think Destructive Spells sounds better for me. After all im goanna be a great Soul Reaper Captain. But what spell should I learn. Hmmmmm"

Zeno sat down to try and remember what destructive spell he could use. He remembered there were 99 desctrutive spells in all. The higher the number the harder to do but the greater the power. Then one spell did come to his mind.

"Thats right Kidou Destructive Spell number 4, (White Lightning.) Perfect I like the eliment of lightning and a number 4 shouldn't be so hard to teach myself. Lets do this.

Zeno got up and then extended his finger while his other hand his extended arm. He tryed to focus as best as he could. He managed to call his sprit energy and barley managed to make it but it later dissapeared.

"Damn, guess I half to try again."

He continued constantly through the night to try and master this one spell. As time moved on he got better but he still had a long ways to go. But nothing was goanna stop him from becoming a great soul reaper captain. No matter how long it takes.

Bells again. They resonated merrily through the building as students reluctantly pulled themselves out of bed. It had been a week since Haruka joined the Shinigami Academy. She had become well accustomed to its routines, and had a general understanding of what she was expected to master.

Today, however, was different. Today was placement day, when all of the students in Basic Training would be tested to see where they fell in normal classes. Haruka was nervous. She knew her strengths and limitations well, but she was still afraid that her nerves would get the best of her during the tests. She sighed and sat up.

The Sendo girl-Haruka wasn’t quite sure which one it was at this point- was standing in front of the mirror adjusting her uniform so it wasn’t revealing quite too much, but wasn’t exactly concealing much either. Satine was still in bed. Haruka had barely seen her at all this past week. She barely knew the girl anymore. And Junko was sitting on the edge of her bed, much in the fashion that Haruka was, grumbling something about tests taking too much energy, and then starting at the fact that Renji might be there. The room, like every morning, was dark. The small window showed that the stars were still visible in the early morning sky. Haruka yawned, and lifted herself off of her bed.

She glanced back over at Sendo. Her cleavage didn’t really make her uncomfortable anymore. She had gotten used to having them shoved in her face all the time, she supposed. She still didn’t really understand the way she felt about her, though. The said girl finished adjusting her uniform, and upon noticing Haruka, grinned and jumped on her.

Mai it is, then

“Ok, Mai,” Haruka said, struggling to breathe under the force of the glomp, “I need…to get ready…”

“Ok! Sorry, Haru-san!” Mai cheered, and bowed. Haruka gave the girl an amused glance. She really was cute.

Then she made her way into the small bathroom. After taking one look at her haggard, groggy appearance, Haruka quickly turned on the water to wash her face. It took a while to get warm, but once it did, Haruka was able to quickly wash all of the sleepiness from her face. With that done, she got dressed, tied her hair back into pigtails, and left the room. Junko was still grumbling her way across the room to get dressed, but Mai had already left.

There were no classes today, so Haruka headed straight to breakfast.

Hmm…maybe Kagashi will be around at breakfast today. I haven’t seen much of him this week. Not since the first day.

The way to the cafeteria was almost a second nature to her. It’s amazing how quickly one can adapt oneself to a routine. One day you’re wandering around blindly, screaming for directions, and the next you’re going from place to place with your eyes closed. It had only been a week, but the endless maze of while walls were already turning into navigable hallways. So, it wasn’t long before she came to the double doors of the cafeteria.

As soon as she entered the room of long, grey benches, she was hit with the fragrant smell of bacon, eggs, and other filling breakfast items. They smelled delicious, and the aroma alone made her mouth water, but Haruka didn’t want any. She hadn’t used any spirit energy since before dinner last night, so there was no need for a refill. A quick glance at the tables showed her that most of the students were of the same state of mind as her. Almost none had a tray sitting in front of them.

She scanned the rows of benches for one that was unoccupied, or held someone she knew. She was hoping desperately for the former, but with the amount of students in the school, she was more likely to find the latter. And sure enough, seconds later the came a call from a table near the end.

“H-Haruka-san!”

The slightly nervous stutter gave him away. It was, of course, Kagashi. Haruka turned her head toward the sound, and quickly located Kagashi and another man she didn’t think she knew. It wasn’t a long walk from where she was standing, so she was soon sitting between the two boys. She gave Kagashi a bright grin, and felt her heart flutter slightly as he smiled back.

Then she turned to the one she didn’t know. He had his elbow on the table, and his head resting upon his palm, a lazy gaze examining her face. As she watched, a lock of brown hair made its way down into his face, obstructing his vision. He blew on it in attempts to move it, but gave up on it when it fell right back over his bright red eye.

“What?” he asked. It was more of a sigh then a question, but Haruka knew it probably wasn't as rhetorical as he made it sound. She could answer, but what answer would there be for him? I was just looking you over because I’ve never seen you before? Right. She decided to just avoid the question, but still provide him with something of an answer.

“I’m Haruka. I knew Kagashi back when we were in high school.”

Blog Entries
    Steph was sitting at the desk in their room with all but a single light out. It was night, but he could not sleep requiring something to relax his mind with the placement tests in the morning. He had wished that he could sleep so that he would be rested for it, but it had him on edge the entire day screwing up his concentration. If his performance today was to be any indication of how he was going to do in the morning he would fail miserably. However, it puzzled him more that it was worrying him. He did not think that he actually cared about passing or failing, but the feeling was unmistakable.

‘I can’t believe I missed the flash step twenty times in a row. The teacher nearly knocked me across the room for screwing up so badly.’ Steph was dictating his day in a journal that he had decided to start. He could not think of anything that might get his mind off of the day since relaxing was not doing it. ‘Everyone was laughing at me then…well not everyone. Kagashi was looking the other way, but still how embarrassing it was missing twenty times. I still can’t figure it out. I know was concentrating correctly, but this darn test is messing me up. And now I can’t sleep at night either.’

‘What are you doing?’

“I’m writing in my journal.”

“You don’t have a journal.”

“I just started it tonight.”

“No, you didn’t.”

“Huh? Wait! What’s…” Steph looked up from his desk to see that the desk was no longer present. He was not even in his room anymore; it was the strange upside down world again. It was her again standing in front of him resting on a cloud while he was sitting on the neighboring cloud.

“You’re asleep,” she said with a soft giggle in her voice. She smiled at him finding his bewilderment amusing only making Steph look more adorable as he stared confused at her.

“We don’t even have a desk in our desk…” Steph said resigning himself to the reality around him.

“Nope.”

“How long have I been asleep?”

“Two minutes.”

“T-two…I’m so going to fail this test.” Steph looked down at the white cloud seeing flower pedals pass in front of his vision. The cloud that the woman was standing on moved towards him squashing together forming a single larger cloud. He immediately saw the tops of her feet making him roll backwards against the cloud.

She leaned over looking down at him with a slightly twisted mouth looking as though she was disappointed. It was only a moment afterwards that she sat down quickly with Steph watching her thinking that her clothes were barely holding everything in. She grabbed his leg suddenly making him jump into the air, but it was enough for her to grab the rest of his body. The woman pulled him in against her body hugging him with his body resting on her lap facing away. “You will pass. Don’t worry about that.”

Her voice had a calming affect on him, however with his head planted between her cleavage it made his face turn red. He could feel his body shaking wanting to be free, but trapped not certain how to react. Steph hands were shaking violently trying to find a way out while his mind was settled by her voice.

“You really are quite adorable at times,” she said giggling again seeing him squirm in her arms. She let him go letting him jump out her arms immediately landing on a cloud several feet away, but slipping off. Steph clutched onto the edge of the cloud finding its tangibility unnerving. “You should be careful now or I’ll have to hold on to you more.”

“I-I’ll be fine.”

“Oh my…is it that time already?”

“Huh? Wait!” The dream world disappeared from his eyes ripped apart by the real world appearing in blinding light. One of the roommates was stared down at him, neither Kagashi nor Kuragari. It was the fourth one that had appeared sometime during the first day. Steph had met him when he had returned back to their room. He was older than the rest of them, but not by much against Kagashi.

“Hey, its time to go almost. The shower is free now, Kagashi and Kuragari already left.” Steph rose up out of his bed quickly with the realization that he was going to be late sinking in. He wanted to leap out of his bed and rush for the bathroom, but found his roommate staring at him in an odd manner. “What weird things you dreaming, old man? You face was all red.”

“What?! Nothing!” Steph waved his hands in the air trying to end the subject quickly even though he only looked guiltier. The image of the woman from his dreams appeared in his mind making his spine tingle in fear or worry. He shook his head roughly to throw the image away, but before it faded away he could hear her giggle through his ears. It was enough to set him on edge and blush again.

“There you go again. Eh, whatever, see you in class, old man.” He waved Steph off as he stepped out of the room leaving him alone. Steph had picked up the nickname ‘old man’ from the roommate when it came out in a conversation the four of them were having one evening. They told him that they had known each other when they were in school still alive, but he did not believe them. After that Steph had explained his ageless appearance and they came to the conclusion that he was going to be a thousand years old and still look like a child. Since then he had been calling him ‘old man’.

‘I guess it’s better than Nyuu-chan…not that I’m rid of that in here either…’ Steph dragged himself over to the shower and cleaned up. Once he was finished he ran off for the classroom knowing that he was not hungry and was going to be late if he attempted it. When he arrived at the swordsmanship class it was still early with people walking in. He was thankful that the class was not starting.

‘You will pass. Don’t worry about that,’ her voice echoed through his mind again. It settled his body from the bundles of knots that he was twisting himself in. However, it was a temporary fix as he was shaking again soon.

'I hope you're right...'

Sir Prize Memories of a Shinigami (BLEACH Club Members only) Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Haku Ishikawa...

“Sit down, we need to talk.” Said the dry voice.

Beautiful red-headed Akane Makishima sat on the edge of her bed. Her fingers nervously tangled in the lace collar of the duvet. Her eyes already had tears. It wasn’t fair at all. Her hands clenched, straining the poor old lace.

“You are my sister, always.” The voice said, a little unsteady.

On Akane’s cheek was a bruise and it hurt Haku Ishikawa to see. It made his voice as unsteady as what he was about to say. The people of the twelfth district in south Rukongai, were cruel.

“Kuishi-chan, please.” She cried.

Haku held up a hand. He didn’t have words at this moment. He needed air, or just a little time. Fortune had shamelessly slighted him again. That the people’s dislike of him was so pure they had stooped to attacking a defenseless little girl, was maddening.

“You have obasan* in district eleven. Tomorrow, you and I.”

“No, don’t leave me, Kuishi-chan!” She managed.

Damn them. Haku thought, savagely. He wiped his eyes and formed a reassuring smile. Cupping her cheek, he leveled their gazes to meet.

“When I came here no one knew me. I was scared. I didn’t know where I was. I cried. And then something fantastic happened. Do you know what happened?”

She didn’t reply…

“A beautiful little red-headed girl came and offered me a roof and a bowl of soup.” His voice broke combining a weak laugh and a snivel. “She rescued me in a time that I was confused and gave me answers.” His voice tightened in earnest. “But I have a chance to pay all of that back, now.”

Akane’s eyes had already died. There wasn’t the slightest light of interest or care. Beneath her expressionless face, she was caving in. They had known each other for ten years today...

Haku could trace where he had come from, but to his awe, he couldn’t find in Akane’s eyes how he come this far. How he had found it again. Yes, that all important it. Despite being a mere pronoun, it was the emotional span of a lifetime. Haku knew that he was barely older than Akane, himself. It would’ve been normal for him to have homework the next day of that field trip, or god forbid, some more horrible news from home; but he had been cold and starving without enough answers to keep himself warm.

Now. Right this second. He would bend time, walk across the gap of worlds, even fight God face-to-face for the half a chance that he might return services rendered by this dearest of friends...

“Smile, Akane.” It was a desperate request. “Please.”

She wrapped her fragile arms around him and held him tight so that he could not magically slip away. Brushing her hair back away from her ear, he whispered: “It’s nothing near a goodbye. Just a ‘see you later.’”

It saved Haku’s soul to see that she pulled back with a fond smile on her lips.

“You’ll visit won’t you, Kuishi-chan?”

“Almost certainly.” He said smiling. “You’ll go to sleep now and dream a happy dream for me. Tomorrow, you and I will walk to district eleven.”

She hugged him a second time and he rose to leave. He pulled the door back and slipped out.

His thoughts were colder now, filled with questions and an unsatisfying lack of answers. But Akane couldn’t help him now. What the hell had happened to him? Was it possible he…sympathized with Akane. She was afraid of being abandoned. And Haku knew it to be one of the most murderous fears of all. He knew. Yes that was it. Sympathy aside, the people of south Rukongai wouldn’t not let them alone, but they would leave her be. Besides…In his heart of hearts, sister or no, he did not want to stay here.

Haku sat down at the table. A bottle of Awamori was already there, the beads of sweat around the bottle made Haku thirsty. He quickly poured himself a liberal amount into a chipped jade tea cup and added from a carafe of water. Ice wouldn’t be necessary and, as it happened, he didn’t have any anyway…

I know what I am…

Ten years...

He tilted his cup back. The drink slid back and his jaw tightened as it tried to turn itself inside out.

Ten years…

His vision broke. A beat pulsed in his head and made his vision weak. He could feel and not see himself take another drink, but what he saw was Mount Fuji. Strewn with white snow. Otousan** always called it angel blood.

He watched in passing interest as a mountain trail was torn apart and divested of people through motes of fog. A clever one, a group behind the massacre, leapt off the path as it was ravaged. He grabbed a tree, a smile on his face as he felt somewhat excited.

He turned to run back down the path when he was hoisted up by an unseen force. Haku drifted closer in his vision. His mental ears recalling old nightmares.

“What is this one?!” Came a disembodied gravely voice. The boy’s face was slack.

The boy was shook and came a growl of fury. It was a battle of stares. The boy couldn’t see the the thing that was hunched over looking him in the eye. He didn’t see the look of fury on it’s face as it growled.

“What the hell!? How dare you!” It bellowed.

He watched as the boy was cast down the mountain side. The vision passed and Haku celebrated with a heavy swig of drink.

He didn’t understand. Why had it all ended there? Why hadn’t it ended in Okinawa in his house with his parents? How had it all progressed, ala diminuendo, to a point of despair, alienation and death? But there, on the edge of Mount Fuji, in the presence of people he didn’t know, he died. Ripped from the ground like a guppy from a pond and dashed to atoms below. A quick cold shower of agonizing pain as he rolled down the mountain. Then the quick break, just below the blade of his shoulder.

It was the finishing blow on a life built by fear. The horrible voice. The mutilation of his Okasan***. Blood. His father fleeing like a coward. Being dumped on his relative’s doorstep. Fear had burrowed a hole in Haku’s soul. It was all dead spirit, nothing left to feel. Sometimes he had wondered where it had all gone. Haku’s expression as he was held over the edge of oblivion by an invisible monster, was so much more of disinterest than fear. That part of him was hollow… He had been that way since he was left at his obasan’s house by his craven father. Now it was Akane’s turn.

Haku smiled grimly. She would fare better and, to be honest, if she didn’t…well then so much the better. She would be more like him. And as he had learned, misery loves company...

*Aunt
    **Father
    ***Mother
    Last edited by Sinister; 12-21-2007 at 03:47 PM.

"How many days have I been at this."

Zeno layed flat on his face in the middle of empty training ground. Knowing he would get in trouble if he got caught was the last of his worries.

"Now matter what I try this damn spell won't work."

He remembered all the times he was along trying to master the White Lightning Spell. He stood there looking at the target determined to hit it dead on. He closed his green eyes and took in a deep breath and then exhaled. Then he opened his eyes.

"Alright I can do this. Concentrate your sprit energy at the edge of my finger tips."

He then pointed two fingers with his left hand holding his right arm that was going to fire the spell.

"Kidou Destructive Spell number 4 (WHITE LIGHTING)."

When he finished the chant his two finger started glowing white. He had the spell ready to fire. He then released it with white lighting flashed shot everywhere hitting the wall and creating mini explosions. Zeno's face lit up in surprise.

"I did it. I actually managed to shoot lighting for once."

When the smoke cleared the target was still stadning there un scratched except the area around it carved with cracks and holes. Zeno then rubbed his hand from the tingling feeling the spell gave him.

"Well I got the speel down I just need to work on the aimming and power and I should be fine. But man that takes alot out of me. Wonder if any of the other students mastered any spells yet.....

Before he could finsih his sentence an instrctor was standing behind him with gleaming eyes. Zeno turned around with a paranoid look on his face.

"Student what are you doing here this area is off limits."

"I...I m sorry sir I just wanted to learn."

"The White Lighting speel huh."

"Huh? Um yeah how did you know."

"Cause I just saw it. Now get out of here before I report you!!!"

"Aaaaah YES SIR!!"

Zeno saluted and ran out of there as fast as his legs could carry him.

As Zeno was done remembering his experienced he tossed and turned in his bed trying to catch some sleep from training over time. Trying to turn intoa Shinigami was alot harder and took longer than he thought it would.

"I hope the test starts soon I want a sword to call my own. Geez. I wonder how long it took Squad 11 Leader to become a Captain/ I'll never forget that day I felt his spritual pressure. I was like anything I felt before..."

He wispered to himself as he closed his eyes to sleep.

Blog Entries
    With a reluctant start in the morning, Tamashi let out a groan and slowly sat up on his bed as his body prevented its own movement. He squinted around the room in a blurred vision and stood up with a defiant moan. He rubbed his temples and made his way to the bathroom. He slipped off his robe and stepped into the shower and turned on the warm water.

He let out a sigh and lifted his face upward towards the stream of water. He rubbed his e yes and turned around to let the water hit his back. He continued to sigh and ponder about test day. He knew he would pass his major and minor classes with no problem, but the other classes had him worried about how he was to be placed in the rankings.

He gave one last sigh and decided to deal with what comes when it comes and just do his best. He finished rinsing his hair out and turned off the water. He grabbed a towel as he stepped out and dried himself. He finished the rest of his hygiene duties and dressed in his clothes and walked out of the room. He headed toward the cafeteria to get a cup of tea and a light breakfast to help ease his mind.

Students filled the cafeteria nearly to the brim. He found a table where Kagashi was sitting at and decided to join him. He got a very light breakfast; Tea and toast. He let out a sigh and took a sip of his tea and rested his elbow on the table. He lazily glanced around the cafeteria.

“Oh, there's Haruka. You remember her right?” Kagashi said as he pointed off in the distance.

“Eh?” Tamashi adjusted his eyes and saw a girl that he remembered from before. “Oh, her. Yes. That's the girl you have the hots for, right?”

Kagashi's cheeks grew red as he cleared his throat and looked away from Tamashi. He then stood up and called out for her to sit at the table. There weren't any empty tables left, so she had no choice in the matter either way.

She sat down and stared at Tamashi as if she had never seen him before.

“What?” he spurted, after he became curious as to why she had stared at him for so long. She then introduced herself as a masterful dodge to his question.

“I'm Haruka, I knew Kagashi back when we were in highschool.” she stated.

“Fancy that, so did I. And I also discovered that you're the girl that he has a crush on.” He looked toward Kagashi for an expected reaction.

After get two hours of sleep Zeno woke up with his roommate waking him up.

"Come on we half to go to the cafeteria."

"uug!"

Zeno made a loud and anoying groan when he woke up he was so tired he couldn't even see his roommates face that was right in front of him.

"Alright thanks im going."

His room then left leaving him alone with his blonde hair all messy and his green eyes all red looking from lack of sleep. He looked aboslutley awful. HE barely got up on his two feet and looked at himself in the mirror. He manged to fix his hair to not look so frizilly. He spashed some cold water on his face to wake up. Which didn't help so much. He looked at his uniform that looked all dirty and wrinkled.

"Oh man I am the definition of ugly. I don't have time to clean up though im late enough as it is."

He dragged his feet outside his room and started to make his journey through the long halls. It felt like an eternity by the time he got to the cafateria where everyone else was. Unaware he stuck out cause of his apperance a few students looked at him be Zeno really didn't seem to care. He stopped and looked at some of them with his tired almost life less eyes.

"What the hell are you guys looking at! You never saw a tired Shinigami in training before!?"

Some people shrugged and shooked their head till they went back to their buisness. Zeno looked around at all the tables and saw most of them fully so he just picked one that was empty. It didn't bother him cause he didn't know anyone anyways. He say down with his food in front of him and layed his head down to close his tired eyes if only for a couple minutes.

"I....will...get....stronger after this."

He wispered to himself as he started his nap in the middle of the cafateria.
    Last edited by Oathkeeper13; 12-22-2007 at 04:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    It had been a long day of walking. Haku was underneath his rice hat and had a fan in his left hand. Akane trotted close to her brother, swinging her arms cheerfully. A wineskin canteen of water was strapped to her shoulder. They had set out early morning and been working their way north-west since. It was now midday and they had just gotten to the edge of the twelfth district.

Haku’s gaze kept troubling over Akane’s bruise. She didn’t seem to notice it anymore but it looked painful. It was in pure fury that Haku recognized it could have only been caused by a hard drawn punch.

“You didn’t say who did it.” Haku expressed, simply. Akane returned to a more traditional style of walking, while pulling nervously at the wineskin.

“I…uhm didn’t know him.” Haku regarded her coldly. She was lying.

“You can always tell me, Akane. That’s what I’m here for…” She pulled the wineskin off and squeezed the remains into her mouth. It was a hot day, but Haku knew a nervous gesture when he saw one. He walked along patiently, until she finally quit nursing the canteen.

“It was…”

“Mikio Goto.” Haku said, sadly.

She didn’t say anything and Haku felt compelled to do likewise. Haku had guessed the second she had hesitated. The rebellious ass that Akane thought of so much. He didn’t deserve the slightest inch of cold regard from her, as far as Haku was concerned. Not only was Mikio the undeserving recipient of Akane’s girlish attention; he had been the poster boy of district twelve’s dislike of Haku.

They had reached the limit’s of what was commonly regarded still district twelve. A dilapidated old store punctuated the end of town. Haku looked around suspiciously, taking note of a few odd characters beginning to assemble near them.

“Akane?” He asked quietly. She looked up at him, seemingly expecting a lecture. But Haku held his hand out, palm down. “Take this into the store and refill our water, please.”

Coins chinked into Akane’s open hand and she skipped towards the store, while the odd characters gathered around Haku. A few of them started to laugh and jeer. A great portion of them had been paying specific attention when Haku had handed Akane the money.

Haku kept perfect composure and remained totally silent until one of them finally confronted him.

“Dear sir, me and my humble comrades,” He indicated the people around him, who had began to laugh esoterically, “were wondering if you had something to spare us?” Haku drew in a breath.

“I don’t have…” He began, but then noticing the the following symbols being common on all of their clothes: 十二匹の猿, he stopped dead in mid-sentence. “Oh no!” He said with a modest tinge of bad acting. “Please God, no!” Haku dropped to his knees and threw off his hat. He looked up into the man’s eyes calling tears to his eyes. He shook a few spare coins onto the dust. “I had no idea this was where the illustrious twelve-monkey gang meet. I knew that idiot had no idea what he was talking about…” Haku trailed off. The effect was at first a shared confusion and then…

“You’ve heard about us?” The one asked, almost blushing. Haku bowed his head.

“I would never have trespassed here if I had known. I was told that only the stupid pitiful dregs lived on the edge of the twelfth district.” The man raged and the blush turned into fury.

“And who said that?!” He growled. Haku brought up his hat quickly to hide a grin.

“Mikio Goto, who lives about twenty-five miles back…” No more words were spoken. The fuming gang-members began to run in the direction Haku had indicated. Akane approached from behind, obliviously sucking water from the wineskin and watching the gang members make haste.

“What happened?” She asked, having popped the canteen from her mouth.

“I single-handedly scared an entire gang.” Haku laughed and grasped Akane‘s hand. “Come on, we still have about another hour’s walk…”

Akane’s Obasan lived in a nice house in district eleven, which seemed to be very well kept. Haku gave the door a sharp rap from his knuckles. Some gentle motions from the other side, the sound of a bolt sliding open and a wizened sweet woman appeared.

When she saw Akane, her eyes sparkled with fondness and with her mouth, completed a perfect smile. She threw the door wide. Akane slid in front of Haku and embraced the old woman.

“Oh dearest, Akane-chan. I haven’t seen you in a decade, it seems.” It took a while before Haku’s presence registered to the old woman and when it did, it seemed to startle her.

“You must be Akane’s brother, Ishikawa-san.” Haku bowed with a smile. “Please come in.”

It was a cozy house for the needs of two people. Three people would’ve put an obvious strain on the size and utility of the house. Nonetheless, it seemed to be furnished with every comfort in mind. A far cry from what Haku had been left to at his Obasan’s house. It was an easy guess that the old woman stayed here by herself.

“I can’t tell you how grateful I am for you bringing Akane-chan to me.” She said, handing him a cup of Oolong tea.

“It was a small matter. I’m just happy we…I mean ‘she’…could leave the twelfth district. Things have been unpleasant there.” He sipped the tea.

“What about you, Ishikawa-san? Where will you go?” Akane looked over at Haku with interest. Haku’s personal thoughts on the subject of “What now?” were…personal. But even the secretive plans…were stark and not very fully-formed. The significance of all of this was the blank stare on Haku’s face and the silence that followed the question.

“I…” He had to think fast…but nothing was coming. Out of desperation he figured he might as well tell them. “…am going to sign up for the Seretei Academy.” Haku expected a murmur of disapprobation or a chiding glare. He got half of that from Akane, but the old woman seemed mute on the topic. She simply smiled and added:

“Then I wish you luck and hope that you won’t end up like some that go to that place.”

That was it… Akane hugged him so tight that he was sure she was trying to injure him. He exchanged respectful glances with the old woman. And then… He left. It was night and there were the usual skulking hoodlums pacing through the streets. He drew a big sigh and decided it was time to do something worth while. Getting his bearings straight, he pointed himself for the South gate to the Seretei and took his first few steps…
    Last edited by Sinister; 12-22-2007 at 09:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    The cafeteria held a somber quiet throughout. The new students trying to get into the academy that had been usually so noisy were subdued today. Most knew the reason, it was the day of the tests to know if they had what it took to pass the entrance exam and truly begin the road to being shinigami. Kagashi was not able to concentrate on his food with Haruka standing next to him.

He had something more that he wanted to say, but Tamashi had stepped in forcing an introduction between the two of them. Haruka had politely given a response, but Kagashi was worried what Tamashi would do. Tamashi was in an odd mood today already embarrassing him in private. He did not need him doing the same thing again in front of Haruka. It was the last thing that he needed on a day like today. ‘Why did I even speak up…I won’t be able to concentrate at all anymore…’

While Kagashi was distracted by his thoughts Tamashi took his own initiative. The damage was already done, but Kagashi whipped around in his seat grabbing Tamashi by the face and neck with his arms and hands. Tamashi was instantly buried from the neck up with only his hair poking out and his arms flaying around. “Heh…don’t mind him H-haruka-san! He’s just to be funny…a joke…right…” Kagashi glared at Tamashi through his red cheeks that gave away his embarrassment. The torturing expression from Tamashi only made Kagashi squeeze more tightly around him until he was coughing for air.

“Breath…can’t…”

“I’m sorry, H-haruka-san. M-my friend here isn’t feeling well. I need to make sure he can take the test today.” Kagashi bolted from the cafeteria dragging the purple looking corpse of Tamashi behind him. The two disappeared in a racket running into several upper classmen girls that shrieked and booted them down the hall for their lack of respect. “I shouldn’t have left like that without-“

Kagashi left his pale friend with his color beginning to return in the corner and sprinted for the cafeteria one last time. He came crashing through the entrance scaring a few people trying to put away their trays and startling Haruka once more with his out of breath stare. “Good luck!” he shouted through the cafeteria with no attention to the scene that he was making and disappeared again before allowing that embarrassment to catch up with him.

He returned to his friend, Tamashi, who was still crumpled against the wall starting to come around. Kagashi thrust his hand out grabbing Tamashi up by his uniform glaring at him again. “Wake up so that I can beat you senseless more!” The flush in Kagashi face deepened, though whether it was anger or embarrassment anymore could not be told. Tamashi was slowly shaken conscious again with his daring grin on his face still. “How could you do that to me? In front of her!”

Tamashi casually released himself from Kagashi hold while was distracted by anger. “Hey, we got a test to go to,” he said brushing everything off without concern. Kagashi watched Tamashi’s back as he walked away down the hall to class. All Kagashi could do was stare with his mouth agape as all the steam he had was quickly released. “You coming, Kagashi? You’re going to be late if you stand there all day.”

“Where you think you’re going?!” Kagashi ran after Tamashi as he disappeared down the hall. When Kagashi caught up to Tamashi they had reached the room where the test was going to be taking place. He wanted to pull Tamashi back, but restrained himself and walked in calmly. The room was still filling up with people that he was beginning to know. All the faces and hopes in the room made him wonder how many would actually move on to become shinigami.

“Hey, Kagashi!” Steph said from his spot trying to keep from being too nervous. Kagashi stopped next to Steph quickly noticing the uneasiness that was pouring out of him.

“It’s going to be alright, Steph,” he said placing his hand on Steph shoulder. It was still strange for him to see him look like a child still while everyone else had continued to age. He remembered how Steph had acted around him the first time. Now Steph was here, it was hard to believe that he was the same person. The displays of strength that he had seen from him at times made him one of the more frightening people in the room at times. The infrequency made Steph that much more scary at times not knowing what surprises lie behind the innocent and terrified child’s body.

Tamashi ruffled Steph hair a little with that mischievous look in his eye still. “If it’s bothering that much I can find one of the girls to braid your hair again.”

“I-I’m alright…I-I g-get through this.”

“Yeah, don’t mind Tamashi. You’ll do fine.”

‘I hope…’

The exam soon came to a start with the instructor lining them up. Steph was placed further in the back and Kagashi in front of him. According to the instructions of the test they just had to show the basic techniques taught during the week. They need to display the ability of accepting and retaining the skills given and show the ability to advance. It was simple enough to swing a sword, but if it were empty nothing would be gained.

Those thoughts made Steph sweat slowly as the line moved. The instructor did not seem to be asking the same things from everyone. It seemed that she was trying to throw everyone off as though she knew what she was looking for out of each of them. There were so many it seemed impossible for her to have learned everyone in such a short period of time.

Kagashi turn came and the instructor tapped her wooden sword at the ground telling him to advance. She suddenly took a swing at time with her sword still held down. Kagashi did not have the time to react at the speed, but he was able to block the strike with his sword out horizontally before it struck his body. The proximity of it running between his legs made him sweat. “What are you…”

“You’re reaction time still needs work, but at least your more alert now. Now that your mind is cleared take your stance and prepare…” She pulled back her sword letting it rest at its original spot.

While unsettling she was correct in that Kagashi mind was more focused. The troubles and events of the morning were no longer in his mind. All that was left was to pass the test placed out before him. He returned his sword to both hands on the hilt ready to do what was asked of him.

Steph watched Kagashi go through the motions and he seemed to effortlessly pass without much trouble. The instructor had remained stone faced through the entire display, but Steph was convinced that Kagashi was going to be pass. He was more worried about himself and knowing that he was next. The time would be upon him in a moment and he felt like he needed days to prepare for this. ‘The life of a wanderer…it seems so peaceful right now…’

“Next!”

Kagashi stepped aside to make way for Steph. All of the time sudden wound forward beyond his control. The waiting was over and the now had arrived, but Steph was not ready. His foot twisted as though to make for the door, but a piercing glare from the instruction nailed him to the ground. It was as though she could see intention from a simple twitch. Steph’s overly sweating body was working double time now in front of the execution that awaited him.

The instructor did not say anything. She simply slammed her sword down at Steph’s feet cracking the woven mat. The frayed ends grabbed around the tip of the wooden sword as it took hold of Steph’s shadow paralyzing him in fear. Steph’s right leg was shaking twice as fast as the rest of his body now making him nearly fall over. The woman then pulled her sword back and approached Steph. She picked him up by his uniform bringing him to eye level with her, a clear foot off the ground if not more. “You going to pee your pants then do it otherwise raise your sword.” She then threw him against the wall behind her.

Steph’s body felt like it was going to be crushed pressed against the wall. He was glad when he finally slid down until it crashed on his shoulder. The sharp pain in his shoulder that had pierced through his muscle and bone made him forget the overall pounding on his frame. ‘There’s nothing to do.’ All he wanted now was to disappear. The thought of giving up seemed to easy, welcoming to him. ‘I’m not meant for this.’

“Hrmph, figures…next!”

‘This is how it ends huh? I don’t even take the test…’ The door out of the room looked inviting to him. A hazy light blew in from the entrance blinding him carrying him away. His body felt light and the room faded away. Steph could sense something changing, but before he had the time to react he was pulled away. Darkness covered him blinding his vision until he had the veil pulled away. The blurred sight came to focus with that woman of his dreams glaring at him with an indignant expression as though disappointed.

“Giving up? But you haven’t even tried,” she said staring at him only inches away from his face. The two were floating in the air in the sky with the clouds around them. Steph was on his back looking up at her.

“What…wait…” Steph looked around quickly confused by what had happened and trying to find himself grounding. However, the words from her quickly pulled him towards her to answer. “I don’t want to become a shinigami. I don’t even know why I’m here to begin with.” Steph turned his head away from her looking at the cloud passing by slowly.

“You can’t keep running away from conflict,” she shouted back at him to try to get his attention back on her.

Steph spun his head back staring at her. “What’s wrong with that? It keeps you safe. I don’t need to deal with others. Its better things way.” Steph crossed his arms and began to float way from her not wanting to listen to her preaching anymore. She had a different attitude this time that made him a little uneasy.

“You can’t avoid people. You have to face conflict.” The woman slowly followed him as he tried to get away. “You can’t avoid it, it’ll find you eventually.”

“I’ve been doing fine so far,” Steph said not even bothering to face her. The conversation was starting to sound familiar to something that had heard before.

The woman glared at him seeing that she was not getting through to him. She changed her tactics this time trying to strike a cord. “Everyone walks over you. You don’t like that.”

“I don’t care.” Steph halted in his movement remaining floating in on position with is back still turned away. “I’m not going to waste my time worrying on things that will pass.”

“You’re lying to yourself.” It was enough, but she saw the opening that she needed. She continued to push at the wound that she had found.

“What do you know?!” Steph shouted having turned towards her once more to see that she had a smirk crossing her mouth. It made Steph’s face narrow a little.

“They’re laughing at you right now,” she said growing the smirk starting to mock him. “It makes you angry, does it?”

“No. I don’t care.” Steph tried to keep it from getting to him. He could see what she was trying to do and he was not going to let her win. His eyes narrowed further the more he looked at her.

“Laughing…laughing…”

“NO!” he shouted loudly causing a wind to stir outward from him.

The woman narrowed her eyes grinning to herself while maintaining the mocking smirk. “Laughing! At you!”

“STOP IT! I DON’T CARE!” he shouted again trying hard to convince himself. The wind blew the cherry blossoms off the tree violently as Steph face narrowed in building emotions.

“Look at them, Steph! You’re mocking you. You’re weak! You need others to save you. You can’t even help yourself. You’re running away.”

“NO!!” The clouds burst to dust as everything around Steph vaporized away leaving only the two of them. The world was empty and the woman grinned. Everything began to turn to black again and Steph’s body twitched returning to life in the room.

“Finished your nap…now leave…” The instructor raised her hand up grabbing the person’s sword that was in the motion of a swing. She turned her head looking back at Steph narrowing her eyes. There was a slight twitch in her eye as she saw him grip the hilt of his sword tightly. ‘Something’s different than before…he wasn’t giving off any amount of spirit energy before. Now its as though something unlocked, I can sense something in him now. It’s hardly anything strong, but there is something now. Determination, he was lacking it before.’

Steph stood up from the wall letting the wrinkles in his uniform settle themselves. He stared at the instructor and seeing everyone behind her. All of them, each of them had that same look that he had seen all of his life. Every time he moved it was always the same. There was no escaping, that look of disgust. They wanted nothing to do with some foreigner that was only being dragged around by his parents. It was the same here; he was just some weak little kid to them. He was someone to make fun of and poke at because he was different and weird. They were all laughing at him because he could not do anything right and should not even be here. They wanted him to leave so that they did not have to see him anymore. He was not going to give them that satisfaction. He would prove them all wrong that he was not worthless.

“You’re done,” she said to the student in front of her. The instructor then turned her head to look at Steph once more. “What do you want child?”

“I’m taking the test,” Steph said nearly shouting with anger laced through his voice. The tone made everyone suddenly take notice of him in a light that they had never seen before. Kagashi who had been talking with Tamashi looked over at Steph. Steph had everyone’s attention now.

“What makes you think I’m going to let you take the test? Huh, child?”

‘Child…child…’ her voice echoed through his head making it pound. His hands tightened around his hilt further with anger building in pressure. “Child…I’m no child.”

“Could have fooled me, child.” The instructor turned to face him completely rather than looking over her shoulder. ‘He’s never fought back. This is not the same child from before. What’s changed?’

“I’ll prove I’m no child. I’m taking the test!” Steph charged at the instructor enraged with a burning desire that none in the room at seen before. His sword thrust at the instructor fully extended in his sprint. The instructor did not budge from the spot watching him come at her until he was in range.

She placed her palm out in front of her stopping the assault. However, the most surprising fact was that Steph was still holding the sword struggling against her hand. It was clear that she was not even putting much effort in holding him, but Steph was fighting back in a way that contradicted everything they knew about him. ‘He’s going to be an interesting one after all. I hate to admit when I’m wrong.’ She pushed back on the sword knocking Steph backwards against the wall. Even though Steph had been countered effortlessly and left a small dent in the wall he was still holding the sword with on hand. “I’m automatically failing you for the swordsmanship test for striking an instructor. However, I expect to see you again. Next!”

Kagashi ran over to Steph side as the instructor callously continued the testing. He lifted Steph’s half conscious body up off the ground. “You alright, Steph?” There was no response from a shocking defiant stare in Steph’s eyes. He helped him over to the back of room while he was still holding his sword in his hand. ‘What happened to him? I don’t know Steph very well, but this is not like him. He was so gentle. I’ve never seen such rage in his eyes. Where’s that innocence?’

He rested Steph’s body against the back wall of the room allowing him the time to wake up. The rest of the students were continuing their tests with the distraction out of the way. However, it had left a mark on all of them bringing up whispered conversation between individuals. None of them knew what had happened to Steph who was generally so quiet and demure. They had all seen him as a child, a play toy to keep them entertained when something got too boring. He was an easy target because he never fought back, he just quietly took it all in without argument.

‘Look at them. Maybe this is actually for the best…’ Kagashi tried to take the sword out of his hand to rest it on the floor, but Steph’s hand was clinched around it. A few more attempts to remove the sword from the hand proved fruitless and he let him keep it. ‘Did he find something?’

‘I don’t know. I’ve been trying to figure it out. This was a just whim,’ Steph voice echoed through Kagashi’s mind from the night one week ago. He had asked Steph why he wanted to become a shinigami and he did not have an answer for him at the time. While he stared Steph he wondered if he had found that answer.

‘I guess time will tell.’

Steph drifted between unconscious and conscious not fully knowing what was happening around him. There was a hazy presence that time was passing, but he could not perceive it clearly. There had been a moment he felt that he was laying in the clouds with the wind against him and another time buried in pain on the cold ground. The feeling continued to sway back and forth keeping him from knowing where he actually was at the moment.

‘You’ve taken the first step, Steph,’ the woman’s voice said faintly from the distance. Steph could not response back or even seek out the voice. He lay still until he came around finally.

The room was spinning a little when he opened his eyes, but Kagashi was knelt before him giving him something to focus on. Steph’s mind was still fuzzy that he could not remember the events that had transpired to have him lying against the wall of the room. The burst of anger had disappeared along with the tension in his body. Both were faint memories now that he could not access. His immediate concern was trying to understand why Kagashi was staring at him with such a strange expression on his face. “W-what…what’s going on?”

“You feeling alright, Steph?”

“Huh? I gue-ow…” The pain across his body had spoken up kicking him everyone in quick succession announcing itself to him. It was not enough to make him collapse, but left a dull ringing throughout his body. Steph insisted on standing using his sword as a crutch to support his weight until he was sure of his legs. The feeling that he had through his body was unlike anything he had felt before. It was not exhaustion, he knew how that was, but it was pain from something else.

“You sure you good enough to stand? You got thrown around pretty hard.”

“Thrown?” The partially sealed memories flashed back to him of the instructor tossing him around. As he recalled it made his body respond in pain again. His legs tried to give out, but he threw himself against the wall with the support of the sword still. “Oh yeah…she…I’ll be fine.”

“You don’t look it. Maybe we should take you to the nurse’s office.”

The tests that he went through immediately flashed through is vision. “No! Not the nurse’s office.”

“Huh?” Kagashi said staring at him confused by the odd reaction that Steph was having about going to the doctor to have them look at him. ‘Did he have some bad experience with doctor when he was alive?’

“I’ll be fine. I just need a little time to rest.”

“If you say so, but just stay here, alright?”

“I will.” Steph slid down the wall sitting down once more. He watched the rest of the students go through the exam. It was over for him and he did not know how the rest of the tests would go, but he was determined to do his best now. All of the stares that he was getting from the others made him certain that he was going to prove them all wrong. Even if he got kicked out after this day, he was going to show them all that he was not the child they thought he was.

The swordsmanship test came to an end and everyone began to depart for a brief rest before heading to the kidou test. Kagashi was still following Steph cautiously even though he was feeling better. However, as Steph was leaving the room the instructor shouted out to him.

“Hey, child!”

“I’m not a child,” Steph said in defiance.

“Yeah, well I expect to see you in the next entrance exam. Come and prove me wrong then.”

Steph stared at her for a moment a little surprised that he was going to be allowed to take the test again. He gave her a confident grin as he turned to face her. “I will. That’s a promise.” Steph turned away and walked out of the room pleased with himself. ‘Next is kidou.’

Kagashi and Steph took the brief break that they were allowed in one of the courtyards. Tamashi had tagged along for a little while, but got bored of the lack of anything to be said. The two of them seemed to be enjoying nature a little too much and he got tired of the green and left them alone. They gave a calm smile continuing to lie back in the grass looking at the clouds.

As time passed they were interrupted by two girls giggling softly while looking at Kagashi. He rose up off the grass looking at them a little strangely. “Hello,” he said politely trying to get a response from them that might explain why they were giggling at him. He also hoped that it might be enough to make them turn away and leave for being so rude to just being laughing at him.

“Hello,” one of the girls said before looking at the other with a grin.

“Is something funny?” he said bluntly hoping that he would get that answer.

The two girls smiled at him again sitting down on the grass with him. Their strange behavior made him pull himself up completely. Steph was still ignoring them or distracted by something that he remained laying down. “I was just saying how cute you two are, looking like the perfect picture of brother and sister. Its not often that siblings join the academy together, especially as young as she is.”

“S-s-siblings…” Kagashi said, as his face became red looking down at Steph. “I-I…w-we aren’t…”

“Ugh…what’s going on Kagashi?” Steph said pulling himself up wiping his eyes gently with his hand. He blinked once looking up at him to see a bewildered red face plastered on him. “Why’s your face so red?”

“Oh, you have such an adorable little sister,” the other girl said leaning forward looking at Steph.

“A-ah…I-I…”

Steph’s eyes lowered in half looking at the girl. “I’m a boy,” he said plainly. He wished that he were older sometimes just so that they could tell the difference. He was beginning to hate being in the in between ages of childhood that made it impossible to tell the difference.

“Oh! You are?!” the girl squealed out loud leaping forward and grabbed Steph suddenly that he was left in a state of shock that lingered. While the girl hugged him his head was being buried under her chest making his face redden as well. “You have such an adorable little brother.”

“Hey! Let me see him too!”

The two girls fought over Steph to hug him while Kagashi was left in a stuttering state unable to say anything. He wanted to save Steph from them, but his body was having trouble moving for him. However, there was a sudden glaring spike that stabbed him in the back. The sharp dagger gave him the movement necessary to regain motor function, but instead of saving Steph he looked behind him. What he saw was the back of Haruka disappearing down the hall running away from him. Kagashi leaped up from the grass chasing after her with Steph’s arms reaching out after him for help.

Kagashi disappeared into the halls of the academy leaving Steph alone with the two girls. Steph enjoyed not being picked on by them, but as much as that he could not handle this much affection either. He clawed at the grass trying to get away from them failing miserably. “Air…please…l-let me go…”

“Hey, let me hold him!” the girl said pulling Steph out of the others arms. The fresh air was a welcome friend for him until he found his face planted the chest the other girl now. He sighed to him trying to think of away out.

The hallway seemed darker than usual as students flew by Kagashi. He could barely see the head of Haruka ahead of him, but he just followed it wherever it went. Everything around him was stretching out making the effort more difficult to reach her. Each step he took she was two steps faster as though he was not meant to catch her. His heart was pounding in his chest, but it was not the running. He was ignoring it focusing on what was ahead of him.

Feet chased feet through the winding halls until it spread open into another courtyard that littered the academy. At the center Haruka was halted bent over breathing heavily thinking that Kagashi was not following her. Kagashi stayed at a distance from her near the entrance breathing quietly against the wall. When he had caught his breath he spoke not certain what to say to her. “H-haruka-san…”

Kagashi’s voice startled her as she turned around to see him standing in the hall. “Kagashi…”

He held silent for a while hoping that she might speak first to explain why she had run away from him. There was a pretty good idea in his mind, but he did not want to be making assumptions if he was wrong. He was already embarrassed enough today that he did not need to complicate matters any further. However, Haruka remained quiet at the center of the courtyard with the wind blow around her. Kagashi stepped forward into the courtyard cautiously not wanting to agitate her or making her run away further. “Haruka-san…I…” The wind carried his words to her as their conversation disappeared into the distance.

Kagashi was about to step forward again feeling that he had the opportunity when the walls were cracked by an earth rending scream. “Upper classman Mitsu! Help me!”

He knew instantly that it was Steph and turned around yelling back at him. “I told you to call me Kagashi! Ste-“ He was cut off by a stampeding Steph chased by the two girls that had interrupted them before. Steph leaped straight for Kagashi latching on to him.

“Save me from them. They’re trying to brush my hair and hold me!” Unfortuantely, Steph’s move to use Kagashi as a guard backfired for the two of them as the girls crashed into them. When the dust had settled Kagashi was on his back with Steph and the two girls dazed on top. Kagashi knocked his head backwards against the ground to resign, but noticed that Haruka had disappeared.

‘Haruka…’

The bell rang to signal for the next classes waking up the girls immediately. The two girls darted for classes shouting that they were going to be late and cursing themselves for not making use of their time. It left Kagashi confused again and Steph relieved, but still clutching Kagashi for dear life. “We better hurry too, Steph.”

“D-don’t leave me alone,” Steph said whimpering. He was holding around Kagashi’s chest tightly with him still lying against the ground.

Kagashi wanted to get moving quickly before anyone else mistook them for what they were not. He tried to lift himself up off the ground, but Steph made it difficult. A resigned sigh escaped his mouth. “Alright, Steph. But if you don’t let go we’ll be late for the test.”

“Thank you, Kagashi.” Steph released Kagashi from his hold and stood up on his own wiping the tears away. He patted down his uniform to get the dirt and grass off of it from the tackle. Once Kagashi was on his feet the two rushed for class.

‘I don’t know if I’d wish for Steph’s ability to attract women or not. It seems more like a curse, but I guess there is someone that would enjoy it…one woman is enough trouble for me…’

They made to class just in time for the last bell to ring and get the glares of the instructor. As they entered the class there was another individual with him though. Kagashi immediately recognized them as a shinigami by the uniform. However, there was not enough time for him to find a seat, as it appeared that no one else was sitting either. The instructor was quick to explain to those that had not heard that they were going to be moving outside.

The test moved out to an open kidou training grounds where the instructor and the shinigami stood before everyone. The instructor began to explain what the test would cover. It was fairly basic for them, just a simple binding spell and attack spell. They were both things that they had spent the week practicing and even Steph felt confident in being able to handle this task. However, the difference was that they would be using them on the shinigami who would gauge the effectiveness of the spell.

Once again everyone lined up as though to take a swing at the shinigami. Each of the students took their turn on the shinigami. It was Kagashi turn long before Steph and he stood before the shinigami who was looking battered. The man had taken numerous shots from weak spells, but it had to be taking its toll on him at this point. There were not many people left. Kagashi demonstrated his ability to use the binding the spell first with success. After that came the attack spell. The shinigami leaped back placing some distance between the two of them as he had done with each student. The accuracy of their attack was just as important as the strength.

Kagashi placed his hand out in front of him as he said the chant for the spell. After it carried on for a much longer time than he thought was necessary for a spell he shouted out the name and lightning burst out from his finger. The lightning struck the shinigami in the shoulder leaving a slightly smoldering spot on the cloth. A tiny trail of smoke blew away from the shinigami as the instructor nodded to Kagashi to move along.

Eventually, Steph’s time came and he demonstrated the binding spell with the same strength that he had before. Though to everyone’s surprise he had not passed out. Which made it a little difficult for the shinigami to release himself from the binding. The instructor ended up whacking Steph in the head with his clipboard to break his concentration enough that the shinigami was freed.

The shinigami rubbed his wrist and arms trying to stretch his nearly broken limbs. He jumped back to give Steph the room to cast his spell, but the instructor stepped in before Steph at the chance. “Aim for the wall, Steph.”

“Huh?” Steph said confused by the change in procedure.

“I know how focused your energy is, if you used it on him it could cause an injury. It might not be fatal, but I’d prefer not to have you leave a hole in the man.”

“I think I can handle it, his previous spell just caught me off guard. It won’t happen again,” the shinigami said confident in his abilities.

The other students were whispering between each other at the unusual exception that was being made for Steph. They all knew that he had unnaturally dense spirit energy, but it was so small that it hardly made much of a difference. The murmuring left Steph uneasy and confused that the instructor would have him do something different.

The instructor sighed out loud, “I warned you. Just don’t come crying to me when I have to call someone from squad 4 to heal you.”

“I think you’re overrating his abilities for such a child.”

‘You’d be right, but there is something different about him today,’ the instructor thought to himself. ‘He didn’t pass out on casting a spell. It doesn’t feel right.’ After a long period of silence the instructor finally nodded to Steph to proceed with the spell as everyone watch in curious anticipation. The shinigami stood prepared for the spell sure of his abilities to take whatever Steph gave him.

‘Child…I’ll show you I’m no child.’ Steph recited the incantation that only furthered the tension in the air. They wanted to see what Steph was capable of doing. Steph shouted out the spell mixing his word with a subtle tone of anger that Kagashi quickly picked up on. “The fourth spell, White Lightning!”

Steph’s finger glowed brightly for a moment before at the lightning burst quickly from his finger towards the shinigami. The man’s eyes twitched at the realization of the strength hidden in the boy. ‘Such speed…the focus…the old man was right…can’t…’ The area exploded with dust from the spell covering the area where the shinigami had been standing. No one could see what happened, it looked like Steph had pierced the shinigami and hit the wall from the smoke in the air. Everyone waited for it to settle expecting to see the shinigami bleeding.

Steph lowered his arm leaning forward wanting to know what had happened. ‘I hope I didn’t hurt him. He’s a shinigami I shouldn’t have, right?’ The smoke was taking its time to clear out and there was no movement or sound from the behind it make certain of what had happened. ‘He’s not dead is he? I didn’t…’

The smoke finally began to dissipate revealing the shinigami standing looking alive still, but only the upper part of him was shown through the smoke. Moments drained away showing the full picture and the shinigami was standing perfectly healthy. Everyone looked around at each other trying to figure out what happened.

“He missed?”

“But he hit something.”

“I can’t see what he hit.”

The shinigami wiped his forehead looking behind him. ‘That flash step barely saved me.’ There was a small hole in the wall that had been knocked out by the impact of the spell. He was not sure if that would have pierced him, but it was far more focused and precise than any normal student.

Steph sighed in relief to know that the shinigami was unharmed. He was a little disappointed that he had missed. The instructor nodded to him and the test came to an end for him. He walked away resting against the wall still feeling the effects from the previous instructor. Steph had a slight grin on his face though knowing that he could feel things had changed. It was not a conscious feeling yet, but inside he knew as everyone else did too.

Mugen woke up early that morning. The sun shown through the window on his face, and he quietly got out of bed, being careful as to not waking his roommates. Mugen slept easily that night, he hadn't had one of his nightmares. In fact, he hadn't had one for sometime. Rei says it was probably because of her music, she noticed that it had some sort of an affect on him.

To start of the morning, Mugen took a warm shower. The beads of warm water felt nice on his skin. He ran his fingers through his red hair as he washed out the shampoo. It was a relatively quick but thorough shower.

Once out, Mugen dried himself off and got a clean uniform. The uniform was recently cleaned, so it was still warm and was quite comfortable. The kosode and kimono were tight and conform to his build, while the hakama was loose and baggy. He took his time getting dressed, he was supposed to meet Rei in 45 minutes. He finished off with the obi sash, pulling the ends twice to tighten it.

He left for the courtyard to meet Rei. It didn't take long, he used flash steps to get there faster. He had been practicing and had gotten a little better. They met under a cherry blossem tree. She was already there, playing her flute.

"About time you showed up, I've been waiting for an hour."

"Just keep playing your flute," Mugen said as he sat down next to her.

"The tests are today," she said.

"I'm just going to have to do my best, now won't I?"

"What are you talking about!? You've gotten a hell of a lot better since we first enrolled." She slapped him on the shoulder.

"You really think so? You know, this could be the last time we could do this."

"I'm sure we can meet again, even if we do get separated- no, I suppose you're right." Rei said glumly, she rested her head on his shoulder. Mugen put his arm around her.

"We should go to the cafeteria." Mugen said as he stood up.

"Piggy back!" Rei yelled out as she jumped onto his back, almost making him fall flat on his face, as she caught him off gaurd.

"Shit! Your heavy." Rei bit him. He yelled out 'Ouch' but laughed right after. They both went to the cafeteria together, and found somewhere to sit until some othe students arrived.

“I'm Haruka, I knew Kagashi back when we were in high school.”

“Fancy that, so did I. And I also discovered that you're the girl that he has a crush on.” Haruka only stared at the man. She…still hadn’t gotten his name. But this piece of information that he had happened to spit out wasn’t exactly new to her. Kagashi had asked her out, after all. That tended to point to fact that he liked her. But, it was still nice to have some sort of confirmation, as weird as that was. She opened her mouth to say something else, but never got the chance, for Kagashi had already made a move. Before she knew it, the mysterious man’s face had disappeared and been replaced with Kagashi’s hands, obviously to prevent him from saying any more.

“Heh…don’t mind him H-haruka-san! He’s just to be funny…a joke…right…” With wide eyes, and her mouth slightly ajar, Haruka couldn’t think of anything to say. He didn’t need to jump up and defend himself. It almost hurt really, that he couldn’t let the fact that he liked her be left in the open.

Maybe…Maybe he doesn’t like…me? ’ Haruka let her eyes drift down from the strange scene before her to her palms. She studied her lifeline for a moment, wondering if it charted her stay in Soul Society now. But it was still fairly short, as if it hadn’t changed upon her death. 'Perhaps our lives here mimic the length of our lives back on Earth? No, that’s a stupid thought. It probably means nothing now. Just…just a mark. '

She heard Kagashi say something else, but couldn’t quite make out the words in her spaced-out state. By the time she looked up again, he and his friend were gone. She looked around the room, bewildered. Where had they gone so fast? She sighed, allowing her head to rest on her hand, much in the fashion Kagashi’s friend had had it moments ago. Looking around the cafeteria, she noticed that it was starting to empty. Tables were thinning, and entire sections of them were lacking human occupants. She was just about to leave when she heard a yelled “Good luck!” From near the door. She knew the voice, and didn’t even need to turn to know Kagashi had come back in. She smiled and turned to face the source of the noise, anyway though. However, he wasn’t there.

Her heart sunk a little, but she told herself it didn’t matter. She needed to concentrate now. After all, the tests she was about to take would determine the flow of her life in the Academy from now on. She had to do well. “Ok...let’s do this…” she muttered, and left the cafeteria.

The halls began to fill with more and more people as Haruka made her way down them. Her destination was the swordsmanship classroom. It was a ways away from the cafeteria. Not far, but it wasn’t quite next door either. All around her, people chattered nervously to each other. Everyone seemed to have someone to talk to, close friend or not. Even if they were strangers to each other, Haruka still kind of envied these people. ‘No…no I don’t. Damn nerves. I guess…I just want someone to vent my feelings to. But, I’ve done without someone like that…No, I’ve had Satine. Where is she anyway? I barely even see her come back to the room at night and when I wake up she’s either gone or still asleep. I wonder what’s gotten into her. She’s really...changed. ’ Haruka cleared her mind of all thoughts when she entered the classroom. Her focus must be on this test. She saw people she knew all around her, and it didn’t take her long to locate Kagashi. She blushed as she saw him standing with Steph. The bell rang officially starting the tests, and everyone filed themselves into a line. Haruka was near the back, about ten or so people behind Kagashi and Steph. ‘I will do this. Swordsmaship…ever since that first day with Shino a week ago, I have been determined to master it. I will surpass her. One day, I will step up and show her...and Mai…that I’m not worthless. I won’t stand Shino picking on me forever.’ She leaned to her left to get a better view of what was going on in the tests. People were being asked to perform basic swings for the instructor as well as block against assaults from the instructor. Each test was a little bit different. She obviously wanted to keep everyone on their toes. Haruka looked up at Kagashi. He looked extremely nervous. “You’ll do good…” she whispered. The guy behind her turned around and glared.

“Tch. Of course I will. Swordsmanship is like a second nature to me already!” He was tall, with long, greasy, wavy brown hair, and greasy skin. Haruka wrinkled her nose. Not only was he ugly, but he was arrogant too.

“Uhm…” She started to say something polite, but stopped herself. That’s just wasn’t who she was. To Kagashi, sure, but this guy had nothing on Kagashi. He was an ugly, horrid ape like most of the other people in the school. “I wasn't talking to you, idiot. Don’t make such naïve assumptions.” She looked up at him with a deadly glare. “Turn around before you piss me off,” she sighed. ‘Gosh…I’ve really become soft lately…I forgot how fun it was to be a snot. Hehe.

The man was furious. “Who are you calling idiot? You know who I am? I am the great Bijaku of the 36th district! All who lay eyes on me quiver in fear!”

“Bijaku?* Give me a break… Stop wasting my time…” Haruka sighed. She was having fun with this one to be sure, and he was definitely taking her mind off of the nervous feeling plaguing her stomach.

“Wasting your time?! You should be honored to be standing in my presence you-”

Haruka yawned and looked back toward the front of the room. There was no reason to say anything more. He’d yell at her for a while about nothing, probably attempt to grab her to get her attention…oh yes. There it was. A large, greasy palm on her right shoulder. Oh, and there was one on her left. Ooo scary. He was shaking her. She boredly turned her head back toward the great ape. “Listen..Bijaku. Be a dear and shut the hell up, will ya? I’m trying to concentrate on…hmm….how might I put this…people more worthy of my attention, might I say. You know…you really don’t fit the description. If you’d like, you’re welcome to turn back around. In fact, I insist upon it.” She smiled devilishly, and turned his body around for him. He, of course, struggled against her grip, but all she did was continue to smile and look to the front of the room. It was Kagashi’s turn now.

The black haired boy stepped confidently up to the instructor, but Haruka knew he was probably shaking in his skin right now. She smiled slightly, wishing she could be up closer to give him a reassuring glance. But she wasn’t, so all she could do was watch. He seemed to go through the motions effortlessly, which made Haruka feel better about her own upcoming turn. Right after him was Steph. She frowned as the young man just stood there, unable to do a thing. He was obviously petrified.

“The idiot. What does a child like him think he’s doing in a place like this?” scoffed Bijaku from in front of her.

Haruka sighed. There was no point in explaining to him that Steph was actually around her age. Thickheaded apes like him were impossible to reason with. So, instead she muttered an irritated response. “I should be asking the same thing of you…” The greasy man in front of her stiffened up.

“What…did you…” He growled out.

Haruka groaned. ‘ Not only does he look like an ape…but he has the temper of one too.’ “Hey look…” she said monotonously, and pointed lazily towards the front of the room. “Your said ‘little kid’ just owned the teacher…” Bijaku’s attention was immediately transferred back to the front of the room. As Haruka had said, the little kid had rushed at the teacher, with a sort of determination burning in his eyes that hadn’t been present only moments before. Although he didn’t even scratch the cranky swordsmanship instructor, he had definitely surprised her. Haruka chuckled. Who knew Steph had that kind of strength? After all…the power of surprise could get someone a long ways…

Time passed, and soon it was Bijaku’s turn. The poor fool fared worse than Steph had. Haruka wondered if they would kick him out of the Academy. She almost hoped they wouldn’t, and that she’d be able to run into him again. After all, he was awfully fun to provoke…

“Next!” It was her turn now. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and stepped up to the indicated spot. She knew she could do this. Her heart pounded furiously in her chest, and she felt as if it would just jump straight out of her mouth. I am such a walking cliché…I swear… Her eyes were wide open now, and her knees slightly bent. She was watching the instructor intently. The said woman smiled. She knew Haruka was ready.

Haruka watched her raise her sword slowly. 'What the…is she actually going to strike? Even Bijaku could see that slice from a mile away…'

“I am going to attack you,” the woman said. Haruka almost gagged. Was she totally insane? What kind of fool goes around announcing that they’re going to attack? But the instructor wasn’t finished talking. “I want you to block, and then counterattack.”

So that was her thing. But from the people Haruka had watched, none of them had had to counterattack before. Maybe I- And the instructor attacked. Haruka quickly brought up her sword, and was immediately surprised by the force of the blow. The instructor was only using one hand, too. If she had the time to think, Haruka probably would have wondered why such a strong woman was stuck instructing weaklings. But since she needed to concentrate, the thought didn’t even cross her mind. She grabbed what would be the dull side of her blade if it was real with her left hand, and pushed the instructor’s blade off of her own. Then, while the woman was recovering, she slashed out with her counterattack. She missed.

“Show me a basic horizontal slash,” the woman said darkly. Haruka looked up her with wide eyes. This woman was…kind of mean. But Haruka complied, easily dishing out a perfect slice. “Good. Don’t miss next time. You did well. Next!” So that was it. Haruka had no doubt her initial stance was what had triggered the teacher to force her to do such a move. Had she actually expected the blow to land? She was just starting out. Counterattacks were...well, they weren't exactly higher level, but they weren't basic either.

Haruka left the room, glad for a rest. She knew that there was probably some form of food waiting for them in the cafeteria, but Haruka wasn’t hungry. She was still lost in thought, wondering what the results of that test would be. Before she knew it, she had walked into a courtyard. And who else was there but Kagashi?

He was lying down near the center with Steph at his side. Two women were also there with them, currently doting on Steph. Haruka felt a small stab of jealousy. The cruel side of her longed to walk over there and sit down next to Kagashi, defiantly, but the nice side, and the one Kagashi unearthed within her, told her to run away.

And so she did. She turned and ran as fast as she could from the courtyard. ‘He doesn’t like me after all…It was all in my head. Oh, what am I to do? I can’t go running to Mai about this…Oh…Mai…I know I like Kagashi. I really know that now. Even if he doesn’t like me I…’ She turned around to see Kagashi following her. Her eyes widened, and she ran a bit faster. Eventually, she made a sharp turn into a courtyard, thinking she had lost him. She stopped to rest, and failed to hear the heavy breathing coming from the edge of the room.

“H-Haruka-san…” She stiffened, and turned around to face him.

“Kagashi…”

“Haruka-san…I…Well...I...saw you run off...back...in the courtyard....well, the other courtyard but...well, I was wondering...why? You know...if it isn't too personal and...I hope… I hope it wasn’t...”

She smiled slightly. He was really adorable when he stuttered like that. And, lucky for Haruka, that meant he was adorable most of the time. “I…just didn’t want to interrupt. You looked busy,” she whispered.

“Interrupt?” Kagashi looked at her curiously.

“Uhm, yeah. You and Steph and…those…” She stopped, and a blush betrayed her jealousy.

“Oh…them. N-no! It’s not what you think! They were just-“ Kagashi was cut off, however, when Steph came barreling into the courtyard.

“Upperclassman Mitsu! Help me!” The poor boy squealed.

Haruka smiled sadly, and when Steph had gotten Kagashi’s complete attention, walked away. She noticed the girls run in soon after. She had no place here. Back in the hallways, Haruka felt like crying. There was no reason and no place for tears in a place like this, but she just couldn’t help it. ‘ Damn crushes…’ She really had to put such feelings on the back burner. She was here to get strong. Such feelings could wait until she was strong enough to handle them.

“It’s hopeless…” she sighed, and bowed her head. “I’m screwed…”

*Do note that bijaku means feeble, or weak. ^_^;

Blog Entries
    Haku eased his Rice hat off so that he could pass through the tavern door. The establishment was filled with laughter and yelling. Keeping his eyes on an empty chair at the bar, he passed through, dodging drunks and flying food. He set his hat down next to his chair and tossed some coins on the bar.

The large rounded proprieter zeroed-in on the sound like a bat to a bug. He flashed a welcoming smile over his pouchy face.

“What would you like, sir?”

“Do you have Awamori and some cranberry juice?” The man tilted his fat head forward and then back again in assention. “That’s what I want, then.” Haku said with a friendly grin.

The Awamori was poured and the cranberry juice added all to a fist-sized glass full of ice. The potion fizzed for a while before Haku gave it an inaugural sip. He was only a day and a half from the Seretei gate. Until then, he had to sleep here and then carry on eastward for a while.

It took his standard of three drinks before he loosened up to his surroundings. Initiating a discussion with his partner on his right over the various manner in which they both had met their end. That progressed to a tally of how many drinks they had imbibed in the last two hours. Then from there to drinking games, which Haku shamelessly won consistently.

It was all fun and Haku was thoroughly enjoying himself. He had no idea why he was so despised. Jokes, games and violent conversations colored the next hour or so, until a man walked into the bar. He had a battered and broken face. His swollen eyes were searching the bar. Drawn to the most noise and a familiar voice, he saw Haku.

Haku was down two drinks but he still only felt buzzed. His barmate, was significantly worse off, in that he was hanging off the bar like a monkey and singing an indistinguishable song. He was on the third round of the game when his shoulder was tapped. Haku glanced over his shoulder and saw Mikio Goto very worse for wear. He tried to keep from laughing aloud but only managed a hushed sniggering at Mikio's ruined face. The face that Akane professed so much interest in, was now a mess. Haku held his hands up and pointed out the door and Mikio nodded, sourly.

“I have to go, Tetsuo-san.” Haku told his semi-conscious friend. “We’ll finish our game later, maybe.” Haku shrugged off his buzz and sobered by sheer willpower. Haku picked up his rice hat and made his way out of the bar.

Warm night air. A high moon. Mikio was waiting, with a plank. Haku chuckled, still recovering from the way Mikio looked. “Are you really going to try and fight me with that toothbrush?”

“You’re going to look even worse than I do when I’m finished.”

Haku smacked his lips, fighting off a yawn. He stretched and popped his neck by jerking it to the left. “You actually struck my sister?” He laughed. Mikio didn’t react. “I have to hand it to you, that takes a certain kind of freak. And from one freak to another, this is going to hurt like hell, so don‘t be surprised.”

Mikio rushed him with the plank. He swung it, but Haku snatched it out of the air and yanked it around, Mikio still holding on. Haku stuck his foot out and tripped Mikio, bending his arm backwards and began to beat him over the head with the plank. Mikio managed to shove Haku off and recover the plank from their struggle. Mikio brought it around, but Haku leaned to the left and the blow just swished through the warm night air. Haku leaned back in, bringing a right cross with him. Mikio stumbled back, but then rushed back in with the plank. He made a chop with the plank, aiming for Haku’s head. Haku leapt back and stepped on the plank when it hit the ground. He walked up the plank towards Mikio and jump-kicked him. Mikio landed on his side back a few feet. He made a motion like he was going to get up and try again when Haku hauled him up by the collar of his shirt. He pulled Mikio eye-level with him.

“If I see you again, I’ll kill you.” He tossed Mikio back to the dirt and reentered the tavern.

A day and a half and he could leave this place forever if he wanted… The Seretei… The thought made Haku’s eyes narrow. The ambition, the life, the power. How will they like him then?! By then it’ll be too late for people like Mikio…
    Last edited by Sinister; 12-30-2007 at 03:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Kagashi walked silently through the halls with Steph and Tamashi to their next class. The short break that they had was over and they needed to reach their Shunpo class for the next test. The results from the last test weighed on his mind, having seen what Steph was capable of doing when he was focused had him a little worried. The change that he had witnessed in him during the first test seemed to have altered him on more than just a mental level. He could see the determination, but that alone should not have been enough to make the dramatic increases that he was seeing out of him. Kagashi had noticed it out of the instructor as well, they were even more aware anyone else. The whole week he had never seen Steph with the level of strength he had today. If that continued to increase Kagashi feared that would happen to the Steph that he knew.

He looked back behind him seeing Steph laughing and smiling with Tamashi. ‘He looks the same in so many ways, but he is no longer the same. He may be reaching for that step to become a Shinigami now, but at what cost does he have to pay to reach it? So many mysteries, but he is not the only odd one. Makes a guy like me seem insignificant.’ The three soon made it to the next room being one of the first arrivals. It gave them time to rest as Kagashi took up a seat in the grass. Tamashi and Steph took up seats near to him relaxing.

“You ready for this, Kagashi?” Tamashi said suddenly continuing to keep his gaze at the tree that was creeping into the open ceiling of the room.

Kagashi looked back at him finding the question a little odd, but answered him anyway. “Yeah, not much point in getting worried over it now. We’re halfway through.”

“Two-fifths, actually,” Steph said staring at the same tree as Tamashi.

“Huh?”

“We have five tests, so we aren’t halfway yet.”

“Close enough.”

“Hey, you’re sounding pretty calm, Steph,” Tamashi said. “Didn’t you have trouble with the shunpo?”

Steph knew that it was not going to be an easy test for him, but he knew that he had to get through it no matter. He was coming back and passing the next time. It was the only goal in his mind at this point. For him the test today was just proof that he was ready to move on. They would see what he could do. “Yeah, but it’ll work out. You’ll see…”

“Huh? Alright.”

Haruka walked into the room and as though Kagashi’s mind was attuned to her aura he jerked up. He tried to be discreet about staring at her, but there was nothing subtle about him at the moment. The brief conversation he had with her was left unfinished. There was the urge inside to try to approach her, but his legs were protesting him. They knew better than him it was not the time to move. His concentration snapped the moment the Jekyll and Hyde sisters arrived making him lay back.

A few minutes later the class was brought to order with the instructor stepping forward to announce the commencement of the shunpo test. It was simple, they just had to do two individual shunpo and their distance would be graded. Kagashi knew it would not be too hard, but he still was relieved to know that it was not going to be more elaborate. Thus it began again the lining up. Steph, Kagashi and Tamashi took up positions in the line together with Tamashi in front followed by Kagashi and then Steph.

Kagashi killed the time coming up numerous lines to start out a conversation with Haruka. Every line he had he immediately shot down knowing how lame it sounded. His internal dialogue left him with a slightly red face and Tamashi staring at him having finished his test. “Hey, lover boy, you’re next!”

“Huh!? What? Shut up!” Kagashi said looking narrowly at him while he made his approach to the starting line. The instructor glared back him to be serious as Tamashi casually stepped away disappearing to the back of the room. Kagashi did not waste anymore of their time beginning to focus his efforts on completing the test. It had become significantly easier for him to do shunpo through the week, but the distance he was making still seemed almost pointless. ‘Shut up, can’t let that distract me. Not right now.’

The first flash step proved to be a little short only coming up to seven feet. It seemed more like a jump than a real step, but he used it only to focus harder on doing better the next time. His second attempted proved much better going beyond ten feet nearly making it eleven. The achievement left him with a small grin as he stepped out the way to allow Steph his chance.

‘Time, again…’ Steph looked down at the line before him. It ran out for more than forty feet as though someone from the class could actually flash step that far. He knew that none of the students he saw were able to get anywhere close to that distance in a single step. The ending line was a tempting goal to reach as proof that he was not a child. However, he knew that it was far too great of a distance for him to aim for right now. The best he had been able to do in the week was hardly two feet if it was a good day.

The instructor gave him the signal to go and he focused his energy. There was an odd feeling at his feet this time that he had not experienced before. It felt like he was on a cushion of air rather than the uneven bubbles he was used to. Even though it was new, there was something telling him that it was right. He made his move quickly, but there was sudden increase at his feet giving him a boost that he was not expecting. It sent him out of the flash step almost as soon as he entered sliding face first across the ground painfully. He came to a stop at the end line with the forty-foot line mocking him. ‘On my feet, not my face.’

Steph gave a silent sigh knowing that he was forced to a take a default for the first attempt. He walked back to the line with the stares of the students at him. There were some that looked like they were wanting to burst out laughing, but holding back only because the instructor would yell at them. ‘I was just caught off guard. I think I got the hang of it now.’ Steph placed his foot at the starting line feeling out the ground already preparing again. ‘Yeah, even the flow there. That feels better now.’ He was given the go-ahead and he immediately moved disappearing from the starting line reappearing a little past the twelve-foot mark. The forward momentum that he had was still urging him on, but he balanced himself out to come to rest.

Kagashi looked up at Steph hearing the whispered murmurs of the students. The first embarrassment had him feeling a little better that Steph was still the same. However, when he saw Steph standing at a distance even further than he had achieved he felt his body go cold once more. He watched Steph walk away from looking pleased with himself letting the next person step up.

The atmosphere in the room was changed watching Steph move away from the testing area. Everyone that had been laughing at him up till now was becoming well aware now that Steph was no longer the same. This was not a coincidence any longer. Low whispers trailed through the room trying to understand what had happened with him.

The class eventually came to an end letting everyone depart for another brief recess before heading to their next class. Their break took them to an empty hallway in the academy building. In other parts of the academy there were real students in training in classes. The two of them remained quiet moving through the hall. The hall came to an abrupt end with an exit out across the academy grounds.

“Hey, Kagashi,” Steph said as they began walking outside.

“Hmm?”

“Do you know anything about the Soul Society?”

“Huh? That’s a strange question.”

“Well the next test, it’s about the Soul Society or something like that, right?”

Kagashi had tried to forget about it as much as he could. It was something that he was not too confident about. They did not even have a class for it. They were just expecting people to know about it from living in the Rukongai. “No more than you probably.”

“You probably know more than me. I’ve been a wanderer for the last ten years mostly keeping to myself. I know more about the type of water you’ll find in each of the districts for the Rukon than anything else.”

“Type of water?” Kagashi stared at him a little perplexed by what Steph said. He was not aware that there were different types of water. The last time he remembered it all was the same. He could not even remember there being salt water anywhere.

“Well the water in 79th district is heavier almost like there is something more in it than just water. I did not really like it that much. Then the water in the second district is very sweet. It is not pure, but there is a hint of fragrances from the flowers that flow through. I think the best water was from the 24th district. It was very light almost airy and felt like it had some sort of healing properties to it. I think some of that is because of the near by hot springs.”

Kagashi looked at him blankly slowly blinking his eyes as Steph scientifically went through naming the different waters that he had experienced. “Yeah, you’re probably right. That’s not going to be on the test. But I doubt my knowledge is any better. I did not speak to that many keeping to myself.”

“So I guess we’re in the same situation. I guess it’s a little late to be worrying about it huh?” Steph said laughing a little pulling out a wide grin. He rushed on ahead bouncing along the stone walkway. When he came to end of the path he turned away looking at Kagashi. “Hurry up, slow poke!”

“Alright!” Kagashi hastened his pace a little still watching Steph. ‘I guess he can’t help but act the same.’ Once he had caught up to Steph they continued into the other side of the academy eventually reaching a large lecture hall. It was where the written test as about to begin. It seemed that they were all given a place to sit forcing Kagashi and Steph to split ways.

Kagashi took his seat in the second row to the front while Steph was forced to go up several steps to one of the rows closer to the back. Steph sat down looking at the turned over booklet of papers waiting to written in. There was an ink reservoir and a thin brush to write with. ‘Do they think everyone is Japanese. That’s a little narrow minded. I guess it is a good thing I spent a year in Japan.’

He leaned back in his chair looking around the room seeing how full the room was becoming. There were other students that he did not recognize in the room. It looked like they had several classes packed together into one room. However, by a strange coincidence Steph turned his head to the left to see Haruka sitting quietly next to him. ‘How long has she been there? Was she there before I sat down?’

Steph tried to casually watch her finding that she looked to be troubled by something. He was not certain, but she seemed to be pensive. ‘Should I say something? I barely know her. We were in the same school for a year, but that is about it. She knows Kagashi, maybe that is something.’ There was the thought to be silent and not interrupt her going through his mind. He did not like to inject himself into places that he did not belong. However, he was feeling different today making himself more out going then usual.

“Hey, Haruka!”

“Steph…”

“Is everything alright? The tests getting to you?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah something like that…”

Steph tilted his head a little not sure that he believed she was being completely truthful. He could tell that she was not completely in the room even though she was answering his questions. “Huh? So you ready for this test? I’m going to do badly on it.” Steph laughed a little at the comment trying to make her cheer up a little.

“Yeah…”

‘So distant.’ He scratched his head shifting around his hair a little. Steph let his hair down against his shoulders to allow it time to breathe. He would not need it out of his way for this test. “Do you think I look like a girl?”

“Yeah…”

Steph twisted his mouth knowing that she was not even paying attention anymore. There was something bothering her, but it was holding on to her so hard that she was elsewhere. ‘A different approach is in order.’ He narrowed his eyes whispering close to Haruka’s ear so that she could not miss it. “You know Kagashi says your name in his sleep.”

“Yea-what?! Steph!”

“Heh! Welcome back!”

“Does he really?”

Steph grinned back at her not answering her question. ‘Guess that answers a couple things.’ Haruka stared at him for a little while seeking an answer, but Steph was not going to give up his hand. As fortune had it, the testing began with a shout from the instructor at the bottom.

Everyone was forced to become quiet flipping through the pages of the exam. Steph slowly went through it finding it all to be in Japanese, again. ‘I swear, if I ever become a shinigami I’m going to give them a piece of my mind about their narrow-minded approach. Its like they like everyone comes from Japan and everyone else in the world just doesn’t come to the Soul Society.’

He began to work on the questions finding some of them impossible to understand. His Japanese was very rusty, but he was able to remember enough of it to get through. ‘What’s the name of the Captain-Commander of the thirteen court guard squads? Huh? Who’s supposed to know that?’ The question was passed as he went on to the next one. Most of them were too difficult to read or something that he did not know the response. ‘How many districts are in the Rukongai? Oh, finally one I can answer.’

Kagashi was fairing about the same, but he at least understood all of the questions. He was being forced to leave many of them blank not having a clue. ‘How many gate guards protect the Seireitei? Hmm…I think I remember hearing something about this. I guess not, moving on… Who is the current Captain of Squad six? Another one of these…why don’t they just saying out loud. You must know everyone in the Seireitei. This is stupid.’

“Finally over,” Steph said as the class was allowed to leave. He had seen many waiting in their seats for the time to be up, but he used up all of the time and still did not manage to translate or even answer many. He had only managed to answer five of the questions. It was over at least and he shuffled out with everyone.

Steph walked into the hallway feeling bored wanting to do something. The tests were beginning to wear on him, but the day was almost over. He disappeared alone into the halls finding his way back to the massive grounds that connected between the different buildings of the academy. The last room was back in another section of the school making this a suitable resting spot until the time came.

Time slowly trickled away forcing Steph to start moving to the final test. It was one that he was not looking forward to since it involve combat again. He was feeling better since the swordsmanship class, but he still knew that it was not going to be an easy test for him. However, he was not going to let it stop him at this point. He had already made it this far and was going to finish it. Once this day was over he could finally rest for real.

The class was nearly full when he arrived with the time to start almost over. He hung out against the sidewall keeping to himself trying to prepare for the hand-to-hand combat test. He knew all to well that he was even worse off at hand-to-hand than with swordsmanship. His hands tightened tasting the tension that was growing in the air. Everyone wanted the day to be over just as much. Some of them knew that it was already over for them and others were uncertain. The results of the tests would be posted in a day. Those that passed would be joining the ranks of students immediately. The rest would be kicked out or if they showed promise allowed to try again.

“Time to begin!” the instructor said in a firm voice presenting another shinigami at the front of the room. They were going to be showing off what they could do against the shinigami and be graded on it. It felt like the kidou exam all over again. Steph felt fortunate that he did not have to worry about hurting the individual. The call to order brought the masses into a line ready to begin, some looking very eager.

Somehow Steph ended up very close to the front forced to go after only a few people. He did not back down from the shinigami staring up to the ceiling to see the woman’s face. The last shinigami was a man, but this time it was a woman. He felt a little odd about doing this against a woman, but if anything he should be worried about being hurt. After the courteous bow Steph stood off against the shinigami in a weak stance. The instructor did not call out what to do, but told them roughly what he was expecting to see. The man was letting the shinigami determine each test.

The shinigami took the first swing at Steph. It looked fast, but Steph was able to track it blocking it. The force pushed Steph back breaking his footing bringing him to one knee. “Stand up!” she commanded to him looking like she wanted to knock him down again. Steph nodded to her and quickly pulled himself up. Every time he looked up he felt like he was getting smaller. The woman was twice his height it felt.

Steph took the opportunity swing his leg at her once he stood back up. He did not waste time to go back into a stance before his kick was launched, but the woman effortlessly blocked throwing him to the mat. He could see the smirk on her face causing him to swing his fist at her hoping to get free, but he was pinned quickly.

“Alright, that’s enough,” the instructor said. The shinigami immediately stood up pulling Steph up as well dropping him to the ground. His feet slapped the wood when he found his footing. He walked away not sure if it was a good or bad thing. The tests were over for him though and all he had to do was sit and wait for everyone else to finish. Steph laid back in the corner going to sleep.

Kagashi was standing in line with Haruka behind him. He had the unnerving feeling that she was staring at him the entire time. Every time he looked back to try to confirm the feeling she just looked away. He was trying to figure out if there was something that he was being oblivious about. However, his turn came and he did not have any more time to waste thinking about her.

The shinigami was staring him down and he stared back. He was not going to be intimidated by the fact that she was a woman. Kagashi came to his stance waiting for the test to start for him. The signal was given and he exchanged blows with the woman. It was only a few, but she moved quickly. He did not remember her moving this fast for the last person, but he was not very good. It made his defenses weaker than he wanted eventually knocking him backwards a step. Kagashi recovered the ground immediately taking a swing with his foot. She blocked him, but he returned with a swing from his fist. The test was soon over after that.

Kagashi walked to the back seeing Steph there. ‘Asleep in class…I guess it is the end of the day now. Sounds like a good idea as well.’ He was laid back on the floor near to where Steph was closing his eyes letting the thoughts of the day wash over him.
    Last edited by Andromeda; 02-18-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Haruka stepped into the kidou room. Most of the students were already lined up, so she ended up near the back. She quickly caught on to what was being asked of them. A shinigami stood in front of the line of students. When it was the student’s turn, they were to shoot the shinigami with a binding spell and an attack spell. The binding spell was the simple one they had learned this week- restrain. The attack was way of destruction #4: White Lightning. It wouldn’t be too hard. The tutoring session Mai had given her allowed her to do the spells at a mediocre level.

But, kidou just wasn’t her thing. Her temper didn’t allow her to be patient with people. She could hardly imagine backing off long enough to cast a spell, as short as incantations are after you become proficient. She was all up-front. Speed and strength. That’s all that mattered to her.

Waiting. She hated waiting. She always had, and she probably always would. She wanted to do something with her time, even if it was something small and insignificant. ‘Life’s too short to waste on horrid things like waiting,’ she would think. And, she was right. Because here she was, dead, with all of eternity in front of her.

And eternity would most likely have a lot of waiting in it.

<<<<^^^^^^^>>>>>

”Hyourin-chan! Come back here!” he laughed. He was tall, with beautiful black hair and green eyes. Those eyes, that hair…they were my world growing up.

“Heehee! No way!” I laughed innocently as I ran from him. I was young then, maybe four or five, but I still remembered the day well.

“Hyourin, you slow down now, you here?” he said, his tone suddenly firm. We were walking to the supermarket to buy a couple necessities we were running low on. He had promised me that when we got back we’d play hide-and-seek. I wanted so much to play with him, that I was running the whole way to the supermarket so that we could get there and back in record time.

“Hyourin-chan, patience is a virtue!” he said kindly after I slowed down.

“Patience is…avert…you?*” I had replied. I didn’t know what virtue meant, I probably didn’t even know the word. And yet, somehow I knew the word avert. And being so young, so innocent, I didn’t think for a second that the word my brother was saying was anything but the one I knew. And, I had no idea what he was trying to say. Why would patience avert me? But I took it to heart, knowing that the bottom line was that I needed to have patience.

But I never applied the lesson I learned to my life, no matter how many times my aniki**, my Asahi, said that sagely saying to me.

<<<<^^^^^^>>>>

“Tokoyami.” Coming out of a memory so vivid and so meaningful was like coming to after being unconscious. You didn’t realize where you were right away, until suddenly something, maybe a noise or a light, snapped you back into being. “Tokoyami!

“Uh?” Haruka said.

“Tokoyami, it is your turn and you’ve been dazing out for the past minute. I’m ready to fail you.”

“Oh. My turn then?” Haruka ignored the teacher’s chiding tone and stepped up, readying to hit the shinigami with the binding spell. The shinigami’s eyes held only amusement. He was tall and muscular with long, blonde hair, and didn’t seem to be ranked very high. It was just the way he carried himself, not entirely confident with himself. If he had been a high-ranked officer, he would have carried himself more confidently. After all, power often led to arrogance.

Haruka sighed and focused on the spell. “Restrain!” She produced a mediocre binding spell. It was enough to pass her, but it wasn’t anything flashy. She paused to let the shinigami break the spell, and then hit him again. He hadn’t fully recovered yet, and was surprised when he saw “Way of Destruction #4, White Lightning” flying towards him. It was, once again, rather mediocre, but Haruka’s absence of ‘mercy’ impressed him. Most students were too timid to even hit him, and had to be reassured by the instructor. The girl was either very overconfident, or very, very bored.

Of course, it was the latter, but Haruka let the shinigami wonder. With another sigh, she left the line and wandered back into the corridor. There was another break now, and she welcomed it. For some reason, the two tests had worn her out. She wandered through the halls, unsure of what she should do. She couldn’t go back to her room and sleep; she’d miss the next test. So, she just walked. It was a calming experience, and the academy was rather kind on the eyes. The white halls lined with paintings and proverbs, the quaint little courtyards, all of it made her feel safe somehow. It seemed like a haven that could never be breached, like the little place that lives in the back of your mind that you can escape to when you’re sad or angry. She wandered for a long time, in and out of courtyards, with no real destination.

<<<<^^^^^^>>>>

As a child, I always walked home from school with my neighbor and her mom. The child, Laaren, and I got along alright, but it wasn’t like we hung out together at school. Her mother thought I was adorable, with my pale little face and black hair. Most people were afraid of me- I did look like a daemon. I put up with the mother’s enthusiastic comments and Laaren’s apathetic comments, even though they got on my nerves. After all, if I didn’t who would walk me home? My mom was sickly and couldn’t get out, and my dad was either at work or taking care of her. My brother was still in school then. His school, however, was on the other side of the town, so he couldn’t pick me up. He and his friend Akira would always drive to our house, and they were waiting for me when I was there. I liked Akira. He was a kind guy, with stark white hair and striking blue eyes. He reminded me of a ghost. We were the daemons, and he was the ghost. Our family got along quite well. Or so we thought.

I arrived home from school one day, saying good-bye to Laaren and her mother as I ran up the path to my house. Asahi’s car was parked outside, just like every other day. But the door was open. I stiffened a little. I may have been little, but I knew what open doors suggested. When I got into the living room, I saw my brother lying unconscious on the floor in front of the couch. I screamed, but no one came running. Why did no one come running?

<<<<^^^^^^>>>>

And the bell marking the beginning of the next test rang. Haruka made her way to the shunpo room rather annoyed that her peaceful walk had been interrupted. Now that she was back in the present, she had do deal with the issues at hand. The first was the shunpo test. She was determined to do well on it. Over the past week, she had really honed her skills and was confident in her ability to do a basic flash step. But she needed concentration. She needed to have her mind clear of everything. Of Kagashii, of Asahi, even of the peaceful walk she had just taken. She wasn’t confident she could do that. But she had to try.

Upon entering the room, she found that most people had already arrived and lined up.

The back again?!’ Haruka mentally groaned. She supposed she could use the time to clear her thoughts, but she knew that if she tried, as soon as her mind was completely blank, all her thoughts and memories would just come rushing back. She didn’t have the patience to not think. In the end she decided to just watch. It was rather boring. Most people didn’t make it very far- just one or two feet. It seemed as if everyone was thinking about shunpo as a form of jumping, when that was only part of it.

The line moved relatively fast, as simply launching yourself forward didn’t take as long as fighting a teacher. But it still seemed to take forever as Haruka stood there, trying to only watch and not to think too hard. It was hard though; every once in a while she’d see someone vaguely familiar go, and try to remember where she had seen them- only to realize that that part of her memory was hazy somehow.

Soon though, it was her turn. She took a deep breath and stepped forward. She knew she could do it, she was pretty good at shunpo, but she was still nervous. She could easily mess up. She’d only been at it for a week. She couldn’t even begin to imagine using it as a means of getting around.

It wasn’t just a jump. It was more than that. It was a step. You were running, propelling yourself forward, but leaving the ground as it happened. It was a flying leap, yet you were only off the ground for a moment.

Gah. Why try to explain it to myself? I might as well just give this a go…

The instructor handed her a small marker, not much larger than a normal pencil. It was explained to her that she was to drop the marker where she first lands, and then jump again. Her overall distance would be judged after she jumped both times, but the teachers wanted to know individual jumps as well.

Haruka closed her eyes, attempted to clear her mind of all thoughts of boys- be they relatives or…. something else, and focused her chakra into her feet. She ran forward, no, she leaped forward…she flash stepped forward. It was awkward, but she had the method down relatively well. When she landed, she quickly dropped the marker. In glancing down, she realized she had just about reached the 12.5 mark. A flicker of happiness rose in her chest, followed quickly by a large butterfly taking flight in her hopes to do well in the second step as well. And, when she looked at her second step, she had made it to the 24-foot mark. Two 12-foot steps. She had done rather well. Of course, she wished she could’ve done better with her second jump, but it didn’t matter much to her. She had done better than most of the other students. She walked out of the room after that, face inscrutable but on the inside she was happy.

*There’s a story behind this. I won’t take up space with it. Say “avert you” and “a virtue” out loud if you get confused.

**BIG BRUDDER! WHEE! ^_^;

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast