Thread: Gifted (invite only)

The joke is far too true Gifted (invite only) loner-kid's Avatar

Gifted (invite only)

High in the forest a hawk sat, the sound of laughter drifting up from the valley below. It watched, waiting. Leisurely lifting its wings it took to the sky.

Eryk sat cross legged in the silent room. He opened one eye cautiously. It was dark, incense drifting around the room in a white mist. It was empty. He sighed in relief and scrambled to his feet. It was time to go. In front of him was the temple altar, a large black stone with runic script engraved deeply in its polished darkness. He placed a hand on it and danced it lightly over the surface, his eyes screwed up in concentration. There was a click. Eryk smiled as the altar swung away. They hadn't found this one yet. A small tunnel stretched down beneath where the altar had once sat. It was one of Eryk's favourites, opening up all over the village. He jumped in, the altar swinging shut behind him with an echoing click.

He emerged grubby and wet from the well in his garden. Eryk pulled himself out and stared downwards towards the festival.
    "I promised her" he muttered lost in thought. It wasn't over yet though. He turned back towards the empty house. The door swung open easily and Eryk crept in. It was his room, a simple bed and simple furniture. A place for sleeping and keeping his things, little else. He crossed the room and unlatched his trunk. Sitting at the top was a pull-string purse made from strips of rawhide. He picked it up fondly and tied it round his neck. Eryk turned to leave, catching a glimpse of his reflection in the glass. Hazel hair and dark green eyes which seemed to draw in the world around them, his face boyish and vibrant. He placed a hand on the glass.
    "8 years old" he whispered "I have to choose, and I'm not ready"

He exited the house without making a sound. He couldn't go now. he wouldn't worry her with his sad face. He sighed, a hawks call responded. Eryk looked up in surprise. A hawk was perched on the roof of his house, fierce eyes staring down at him. The bird leapt from the roof. It began to glow as it fell, light streaking out behind it. It landed, but it was no longer a hawk, it was human.
    "Can I ask a favour"

Alica stared wide eyed as the sights and sounds of the festival assaulted her senses. Brightly coloured stalls dotted the streets and performers plied their trade to the crowd of avid watchers. Magic gleamed in the air, every mage trying to out do the rest. Flames danced, icy sculptures gleamed, earthen pillars swayed, and gentle winds sung.

It was the largest festival the small town had ever had, people flocking from the furthest corners of the continent to witness its crowning spectacle. A gifted's choice. The first gifted ever born without an affinity, everyone wanted to see which he'd pick. Alicia didn't care, she just wished neither of them had to grow up.

"Alica!" a voice called out over the droning hum of the crowd. She turned to see a small girl with a face splitting grin waving at her from the window of a house. The girl wore a light green festival robe, with a strip of purple cloth tiying it off around the waist. The girls dark auburn hair had been caught into a long braid that dangled down to the small of her back 'Nym' Alicia thought allowing a slight smile to play across her lips. "Stay there I'll be down in a second." Nym shouted out. The girl tore herself away from the window to appear seconds later pushing herself through the dense crowd of people that filled the streets.

Eryk sat watching the sun slowly set. They were probably getting frantic now, looking for him.

Eryk ascended the platform, a rush of cheers acompanying his every step. A group of older mages had already gathered. They were the leaders of the priesthood of magic, wearing garments that reflected their gods element.

He closed his eyes and began to draw in power. He felt it well up inside him. Filling him to the brink till his every muscle, every fibre of his being began to radiate with power. He began glow, slowly at first but steadily brightening to a brilliant intensity. The crowd watched silently, arms raised to shield their eyes from the light. Then his body began to fall away, little shards of light fluttering away caught on the gentle wind. There was a collective murmering from the crowd. The last glittering shards had fallen away to reveal the body of a small bird. The crowd broke, cries of anger filling the night skies.

"Dirty shapeshifter" one woman shouted hurling a stone towards the platform

OOC: This post is undergoing a state of flux, I'm currently halfway through the editing process, unfortunately I'm going on holiday so I have no idea when this will be finished
    Last edited by loner-kid; 08-12-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The smell of burning wood filled the air, causing thick black smoke to cover and hide the remains of the once lovely village Alicia once called home in filthy, black smog. The church tower in the near distance had just given way, and there was a loud, bone chilling sound of the bell as it fell from where it once hung. The houses that lined the streets were nothing but carcasses now, no longer holding the memories or personalities that once lived in those walls. The place where I was born... is now the place I die... she thought, tears spilling from her blue eyes. Looking down at her leg she winced. She knew she’d never get that far with one leg...

The bone had snapped and ripped through her flesh, sending a long trail of bright red, sticky blood down her leg. She had managed to free her leg from the rubble that fell on top of her as she ran. What was I running from? She thought again, lifting her hand to her head. Has her hand touched her head, she felt the same stickiness that came from her leg... She removed her hand quickly, not wanting to know what the state of her face was. I’m too young! I can’t die here...

Choking on the thick smoke, she used her might to craw over to where she saw the cobbles of the road. With great difficulty, she made it. Looking up at the burning inferno she was just trapped in, more tears flooded from her eyes. She could make out her bedroom, on the top floor. Alicia watched as the fire ate away at her wallpaper, her drawings that she hung up around the room... her clothes, photographs and memories where all in that house. Turning around to move more rubble from her path, she heard a low rumble, and felt the floor under her shake. Turning back around to face the house, she watched as her bedroom collapsed on to the space she was just sitting. Gasping, then choking, she worked as fast as she could.

Dragging herself, and her badly wounded leg from the building, she lay back on the floor, and looked up into the sky. The stars were no longer there... all hidden behind the blanket of smoke. Turning her head, she saw a few in the distance, floating above the woods. That’s where I need to be... Everybody is waiting for me there...

She made it as far as the town entrance, a great oak gate, before she felt her head and stomach give way. The taste of harsh bile made its way up her throat, and she no choice but to let it out. Choking up the great food of the festival over the road, she didn’t notice one of the bandits heading straight towards her.

“Ha, look at this one! A survivor? Pah!”

Turning her head, she saw as he raised his blade. Alicia knew he was going to kill her. Fliching, she awaited the blow...

“Enough! She’s dead anyway! Leave her!”

Opening her eyes, she saw that another bandit had come along to join the first one. She couldn’t make out what they were saying to each other as her dizziness came back. She watched as the bandits walked off... Resting her head on the ground, she felt a little better. The world around her seemed to be changing shape, and moving, and...

What’s this? she thought, looking at her hand. Tied around her wrist was a ribbon... Trying to remember what happened, her eyes shut. Just before they did, she noticed a handsome looking finch land on the ground in front of her...