Thread: Oy

Registered User Oy

Oy

Hey, just a box here. Not exactly new to the series, but didn't grow up with it either, and have yet to finish a single one which is pretty unusual for me when it comes to long series of games.

Started out with 4 for the PS1 but didn't get very far. 5 was the first I played extensively but sadly my GBA died. Back when I had my first job I bought 13 and was excited to see a good RPG for the 360 but was pretty disappointed by it. Wouldn't be til later on I found out about both Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey which I much preffered.

Seems I like the older games better. As of now I've got 1, 2(4), 3(6), Mystic Quest, and My Life as King on Wii and 9 on the PS3. 4 and 6 in particular have been great and I do seem to be enjoying 9 so far but am only a couple hours in. Watched NintendoCapriSun's LPof 10 and it looked better than some give it credit for.

Mostly feels like I prefer more traditional aspects of RPGs, though I do very much enjoy Fallout 3 and New Vegas as well as Dark Souls which aren't turn based at all. Have also been trying out Yakuza 3 and 4 which have impressed me but not sure if they exactly qaulify for straight up RPGs. As for favorites I'd probably go with Chrono Trigger, Paper Mario 2, and Pokemon Gold.

That said, I'm a fan of plenty of other games outside of RPGs. Grew up with Zelda alongside some Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Metroid, and plenty of Rare's stuff. A friend got me into Sonic but I haven't liked the direction the series has been going in. Playing No More Heroes and soon after Killer7 has changed a lot of my views on storytelling in gaming, which makes me sad to think Killer is Dead will be the last Suda51 game I"ll be able to play for the indefinite future. The only other game that has come close has been Deadly Premonition. Lastly Metal Gear Solid has quickly become a favorite, though I can't support a company that would release something like Ground Zeroes.

All that out of the way, right now I'm mostly in the mood for playing and talking about old school RPGs so I hope I'm not hated here for disliking 13.

Welcome to the forums. Strange enough, it has always appeared to me the love we share for RPG's is more what unifies us here than our love for final fantasy, especially with the old timers. I think we had a chrono trigger thread happening recently, have a look in General Gaming and jump in. You should try and finish a final fantasy, my reccomendation is VII.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxman View Post
    ... so I hope I'm not hated here for disliking 13.
    Dont worry, you'll fit right in.

Registered User Oy
    Thanks! I'm closest to finishing 6 at the moment, just worried everyone isn't levelled enough and haven't done all the side stuff before what seems to be the last battle. In 4 I believe I got up to a dungeon where you can't wear metal armor which kinda sucks. 7 seems like a more important one to play considering its legacy, but would also like to try 8 and download 5 on PSN...man I need a new job.

Cool, I'll check out that thread. Actually also been playing Chrono Cross for the first time and it's interesting in all its differences.

The Old Skool Warrior Oy LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Killer7?! I'm already a fan.

As long as you don't hate me for being in the minority group that DOES enjoy FFXIII, that is.

~ sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Registered User Oy
    Nah, I hate games, not the gamers. Even then I can see why some games have some sort of appeal even if I can't see what that is myself. I know the low budget of games like Deadly Premonition or Earth Defense Force 2017 is enough to drive many away but I still love them for their charm and campiness.