Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anime Fanatics Club v3!

Go with me, Exkaizer~ Anime Fanatics Club v3! Treize's Avatar

Anime Fanatics Club v3!

Anime/Manga Fanatics Club

What is this club?

This club is a place for all interested members of TFF to discuss anime and manga. We will welcome members who have just started watching anime or reading manga and veterans alike.

How can one join the club?

Answer the questions below, and we will accept you.

1. How long have you been watching anime?
    2. What is or what are some of your favorite anime?
    3. What anime got you seriously interested in watching other anime?
    4. How long have you been reading manga?
    5. What is or what are some of your favorite manga?
    6. Do you own any anime or manga?
    7. Is there anything else you would like to tell us about yourself that relates to anime or manga? (Examples: What was your first anime/manga? Have you ever cosplayed? etc.)

Rules:

* Follow the general forum rules.
    * Please do not post in this thread if you are not a member or are not joining.
    * Please try to be somewhat active. If a member becomes too inactive, he/she may be removed from the club and have to request to rejoin.
    * Please do not troll discussions. If you have a particular topic that you wish to discuss, you are encouraged to bring it up, but do not just post random things that do not relate to the topic(s) at hand.

Club Activities:

We will try to have various activities for the club periodically. Activities can range from discussions, to trivia, to competitions involving anime. (Drawing contests, writing contests, etc.)

If you have any suggestions for an activity or the club in general, either post it in the thread, or PM/VM one of the club leaders, which would just be me right now... We are always up for more suggestions on things to do.

Club Members:

Members will start off as Followers, but they can become Fanatics by showing their knowledge of anime and by being active and involved in the club.

Club Leader
    Club Leader:
    Treize

Fanatics
    Fanatics:
    None yet.

Followers
    Followers:
    Josh_R
    Andromeda
    Mistress Victoria
    Unknown Entity
    Leon
    Selquist
    *Yesha*
    Xanatos
    Athna Loveil
    Ikuzo

Current Discussion:

Anything

Current Activity:

Pending
    Last edited by Treize; 10-25-2011 at 08:45 PM.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

Re: Anime Fanatics Club v3!

Because of popular demand, I decided to try to resurrect the Anime Fanatics Club. Hopefully this works out a little more smoothly than the previous two attempts. <_<

To start off, I'll go ahead and fill out the questions, so that you future members can know a little bit more about my anime/manga preferences.

1. I've been watching anime for a little over ten years. I started watching anime when it began airing on Toonami with Sailor Moon and DBZ. I've been "seriously" watching anime for four or five years now.

2. There are too many anime that I really like, but some of my favorites would include Shakugan no Shana, Nodame Cantabile, Welcome to the NHK!, Tower of Druaga, To aru Majutsu no Index, and Kannazuki no Miko.

3. I would say Inuyasha got me "seriously" interested in anime. I had been watching the anime that aired on television beforehand, but Inuyasha made me interested in researching and watching other anime that weren't as mainstream.

4. I've been reading manga for about five years. I was more into manga than anime at one point, but recently I haven't been reading manga as much.

5. Some of my favorites would include Tsubasa Chronicle, Ookiku Furikabutte, Watashi ni xx Shinasai!, and Bakuman.

6. I don't own any manga, but I own some anime. I have a few series such as Kannazuki no Miko and Full Metal Panic!, but I don't own a significant amount by any standard. I would like to buy a few more series, but I'm waiting until I have a little bit more stable living conditions and more storage space.

7. Let's see. I don't really remember what my first anime series was. It was probably either Sailor Moon or DBZ. My first manga series was Fruits Basket, I believe, or Death Note. I read them both around the same time. I don't really have any intentions of cosplaying, but I would like to attend an anime convention at some point. It was quite difficult when I was living in the Midwest, but now that I'm living in California, it shouldn't be much of a problem to go.

So, I'll start up a discussion topic after we get a couple of members. Hopefully we can make this more of a success than the previous attempts. I won't be randomly disappearing anytime in the foreseeable future, so I'll always be up for some anime discussions if others are interested.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

Death Before Dishonor Anime Fanatics Club v3! Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How long have you been watching anime?

Ehh honestly I am not sure, been a while though.

What is or what are some of your favorite anime?

Anything Gundam, FMA, Bleach, Naruto, Full Metal Panic TSR, and Cowboy Bebop

What anime got you seriously interested in watching other anime?

DBZ was the first anime I ever watched

How long have you been reading manga?

Same as anime not really sure

What is or what are some of your favorite manga?

Naruto(I like the manga better than anime), Blackcat, King of Hell

Do you own any anime or manga?

I own most the of the Naruto manga's, quite a few of the bleach, and all of the Blackcat, and Hellsing. Anime I honestly have way to much to think of: ex: FMA Season 1 & 2, Gundam Wing, Gundam SeeD, Gundam SeeD Destiny, Bleach, BlackCat etc..
    Last edited by Josh_R; 12-20-2010 at 10:36 AM.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

The Quiet One Anime Fanatics Club v3! Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Since I'm rejoining I'll answer the questions.

I've been watching anime since high school which is ten years for me at this point, but technically I watch Voltron when I was even younger. Which was like 20 years ago, but I didn't even know what anime was then.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya are current favorites. Though Tenchi Muyo and X will have always have a special place for me.

It was less about one anime and more about the fact that Toonami existed. I kept hearing about all of anime on there from my best friend. And I just knew I had to watch. So I can thank Toonami for my interest in anime.

Only a few years. I started collecting Bleach and Neon Genesis Evangelion Angelic Days, the latter because of it appearing in Newtype USA and I wanted to see the rest of it. And Bleach because I knew eventually it would overrun the anime and I wanted to try to keep up on what I could.

Fruits Basket and Haruhi Suzumiya. I still have to finish collecting the rest of Fruits Basket, but since it keeps going past the anime. It is really good.

More than is probably healthy. I have an excel spreadsheet to keep it all sorted out. I own more than 200 DVDs and probably 300 individual ones, since I have box sets that come with more than one disc. The manga collection is limited, but I own a small amount as well as some original Japanese. I also possess via gifting a ton of VHS tapes that are Marmalade Boy, Fushigi Yuugi and Nurse Angel Ririka SOS among various episodes of Sailor Moon including original Japan broadcast recordings with commercials. Which is very entertaining to watch.

7. Is there anything else you would like to tell us about yourself that relates to anime or manga? (Examples: What was your first anime/manga? Have you ever cosplayed? etc.)

I write anime and manga styled stories.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Lady Succubus Anime Fanatics Club v3! Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm rejoining also, so here's my stuff.

Since I first got the internet and/or Toonami on Cartoon Network. So...a little over 10 years?

One Piece, hands down. Then there are others like Air Gear, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Trigun... a lot of the classics. Oh, and Gunsmith Cats.

The stuff on Toonami. Gundam Wing, DBZ, Inuyasha, etc, etc.

Not as long as manga. Not even half as long. Manga is something I've recently picked up. Probably at least for 2 years? And I have half a bookshelf full of manga, and even more stacks waiting to be read. The shelf just contains the ones I've already read.

Gunsmith Cats, Kurohime, Bamboo Blade, Love Hina, Soul Eater, Street Fighter, Detective Conan/Case Closed

Well I already answered the manga part. I don't own very much anime because I tend to watch it online. I only own the first disc of Samurai 7 and the slim packs of Wild Arms and Mezzo Forte.

Just like above me, I write anime/manga styled stories.
    Last edited by Victoria; 12-20-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eh, why not?

First started watching anime when I was between the ages of eight and ten. Then I stopped for the longest time, and came back to it. So not quite the ten years, but you catch my drift.

Pokemon, Digimon, Dragon Ball Z, Ghost in the Shell, Elfen Lied, DN Angel. Spirited Away was good too.

I can't recall its name right now (maybe someone here can help?), but I really loved this anime movie which was on television a few years ago. I remember there being airships, and temple ruins in clouds, with lots of greenery.

Dragon Ball Z, mainly. Everyone at my primary school went on a hype over it, so I started watching Cartoon Network. When my aunt came back from Japan with a Pokemon gift for my brother, we started watching that religiously every single morning before school.

Not very long. In fact... I only have one book.

I don't have a favourite, unless by default you count Castlevania (volume 1).

Not very much. I watch a lot online as I don't have the money or space to buy everything on DVD. I have two Ghost in the Shell movies though. I used to own Spirited Away, but I lent it to someone and never saw it again.

As for manga, just Castlevania.

I created my own anime character one year for MCM London Expo, and cosplayed as her. I also used to be big on drawing DBZ characters, but all my work disappeared it seems.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Resident Saint Seiya fanboy Anime Fanatics Club v3! Leon's Avatar
    Anywhere I want to live. Wonderful, is it not?
    Blog Entries

For a long time, I know that. Probably since I was six years old, when I watched uncut versions of DBZ and Dragon Ball. I don't know where my parents stood on that, but I think they just didn't like the series.

Dragon Ball/Z/GT, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh! (not the new ones, I prefer the original series), Ranma 1/2, Lucky Star, the first Digimon series (stopped watching it when I was 11 or so, I forgot why), and Zatch Bell!. I can't believe they canceled that last one, it was getting good.

Dragon Ball Z, and in later years I got into Lucky Star when a colleague of mine got me into it.

I started reading manga in early 2009, and stopped when they took down the OneManga website. Currently, I haven't been inside any bookstores since they're all too far from home.

Full Metal Alchemist (not Brotherhood), Zatch Bell! Dragon Ball Z, Neko Majin Z, Dr. Slump, Hatsune Mix, Doraemon.

Used to own a Ranma 1/2 DVD, but I loaned it to someone. I own the last volume of the DBZ manga, which I am proud to have.

It's not often that a guy admits this, but I watched a few episodes of Sailor Moon in my childhood. However, some family members were ripping on me for watching it so I just stopped and never looked back again. Then I watched DBZ, Dragon Ball, Doraemon, Saint Seiya (AKA "Knights of the Zodiac"), and Ranma 1/2. I spent some time in Mexico during my childhood, so I would watch the Spanish versions of the anime I just mentioned.
    Last edited by Leon; 12-21-2010 at 10:51 AM.
    Please read the poetry from two great friends of mine. May they find peace.

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
    ~St. Augustine

Blog Entries

What are you talking about? Zatch isn't canceled, it's just not dubbed anymore, just like Detective Conan.

Konjiki no Gash Bell!! - MyAnimeList.net!! It's 150 episodes long and finished airing. I think it's still currently being subbed? I'm not sure, but it's not very popular. ><

Edit; Nevermind, they finished subbing it over a year ago. Although the tracker says there's no seeds/leechers...

Edit 2: Oh hey. I found a batch that's actively seeded and stuff. I may check it out so I can actually FINISH the show. >_>; (can't really blame me can you? ...since it's no longer available in the US...)
    Last edited by Victoria; 12-20-2010 at 11:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Victoria View Post
    What are you talking about? Zatch isn't canceled, it's just not dubbed anymore, just like Detective Conan.

Konjiki no Gash Bell!! - MyAnimeList.net!! It's 150 episodes long and finished airing. I think it's still currently being subbed? I'm not sure, but it's not very popular. ><
    I meant canceled in CN. I already watched the last episode of the Japanese version. Given the mangaka's broken hand, I think it was the main reason they stopped at the Faudo arc (while the manga itself is done with 323 chapters, read the final chapter before OneManga got taken down. ^^')

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
    ~St. Augustine

Blog Entries

Ahh, that makes more sense then. I might check out the manga too since that's finished. Been meaning to finish Prince of Tennis manga also.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I was going to say the Zatch Bell anime finished like two or three years ago in Japan. I remember reading the episode guide on wikipedia when CN was nearing the end of their run.

And I don't really understand why you should be embarrassed by watching Sailor Moon. I know plenty of guys that have watched it. Just because it's shoujo doesn't mean guys can't enjoy it. There are a few shoujo that has cross audience appeal. Sailor Moon ended up being one of them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    Yeah, I was going to say the Zatch Bell anime finished like two or three years ago in Japan. I remember reading the episode guide on wikipedia when CN was nearing the end of their run.

And I don't really understand why you should be embarrassed by watching Sailor Moon. I know plenty of guys that have watched it. Just because it's shoujo doesn't mean guys can't enjoy it. There are a few shoujo that has cross audience appeal. Sailor Moon ended up being one of them.
    I was six when I watched it. >.> My brother would just annoy me nonstop just because I watched it. I think I even cried one time because of him.

Even today, I wouldn't dare watch it. I guess my brother's actions did more harm than good.

EDIT: Then again, I did catch him watching it a lot in our teenage years. Oh, the irony.

~St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Entity View Post
    I can't recall its name right now (maybe someone here can help?), but I really loved this anime movie which was on television a few years ago. I remember there being airships, and temple ruins in clouds, with lots of greenery.
    You're probably thinking of Laputa Castle in the Sky, which I'm going to watch again right now. I forgot that I had planed to watch it.

I agree with Andromeda that there are several shoujo anime that can be enjoyed by anyone regardless of gender. I think that males and females can both enjoy anime such as Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura. Personally, I'm not that big of a fan of mahou shoujo anime, though, so I think there are also quite a few that should just not be watched by anyone.

I used to watch Zatch Bell when it was airing on Cartoon Network too, but when it stopped airing, I didn't really have the interest to continue it. Thinking about it, I'm actually pretty interested in finding out how it ends. Without spoiling it, can someone tell me if the ending or the latter part of the series is any good? I'm wondering if it's worth watching again, most likely starting from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Victoria
    Been meaning to finish Prince of Tennis manga also.
    I used to read the Prince of Tennis manga also, but I've put it on indefinite hold. It's good, but I don't really want to have to follow it for years to come, what with the new series. I like tennis and everything, but I don't think it needed to be more than a 10 year project. <_<

So, does anyone have any preferences on our first discussion? I know there is already a thread about this, but I was thinking about discussing what anime we've seen recently that we have really loved to kind of get an understanding of each other's preferences on anime, but I'm really open to just about anything.

Also, welcome everyone to the club. It's interesting to see how everyone has different preferences when it comes to anime.
    TFF Family:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Treize View Post
    I used to watch Zatch Bell when it was airing on Cartoon Network too, but when it stopped airing, I didn't really have the interest to continue it. Thinking about it, I'm actually pretty interested in finding out how it ends. Without spoiling it, can someone tell me if the ending or the latter part of the series is any good? I'm wondering if it's worth watching again, most likely starting from the beginning.
    Depends on what episode you stopped on. They actually stopped with the English dubs at episode 104, while every other episode beyond that is subbed all the way to 150. The series stays true to the manga until episode 138, I think. You can find them on Youtube.

In my opinion, if you can stand the filler episodes in the anime, I'd say go for it. You can also find out how it truly ends if you get the manga so you can spot the difference between the two. It gets really good, and I recommend it.

So, does anyone have any preferences on our first discussion? I know there is already a thread about this, but I was thinking about discussing what anime we've seen recently that we have really loved to kind of get an understanding of each other's preferences on anime, but I'm really open to just about anything.

Also, welcome everyone to the club. It's interesting to see how everyone has different preferences when it comes to anime.
    To be honest, I haven't watched any anime except on Saturday mornings when they air Yu-Gi-Oh (currently in the Battle City arc) and Dragon Ball Z Kai. I've read people whine about the latter, but personally I don't care. To me it's just like watching cut versions of DBZ, and I don't mind.

Maybe we can also talk about which anime/manga character you look up to the most? I, too, don't mind what we talk about.

~St. Augustine

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Treize
    You're probably thinking of Laputa Castle in the Sky, which I'm going to watch again right now. I forgot that I had planed to watch it.
    I think that might be it... I looked over the plot on wiki, and it sounds very familiar. I wasn't aware it was quite that old though - what I watched looked fairly new. Maybe it was just enhanced? I dunno. I'll have to watch it to find out. Thank you. ^^

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Blog Entries

I don't know why people should be upset over Dragonball Kai. It is finally chopped down to where it needed to be in the first place. The thing was too long and too much filler. So they should be happy that the fights actually go somewhere. From what I saw the Frieza fight is only 15 episodes rather than the 40 that it was before. And they are almost finished since I saw that they were in the Buu Saga at this point. A 100 episode DBZ is necessary.

The only disappointing thing is that the Garlic Jr. Saga is cut since it wasn't canon I'm pretty sure. I liked the Garlic Jr. Saga because it centered around Gohan and not Goku. So it was interesting. Plus Gohan actually got to be hero for the saga, even though he eventually got his place in the end of the Cell Saga. Shame it didn't continue on with Gohan as the hero and left Goku to be ignored.

Blog Entries

Wow. I barely just finished watching the Namek Saga, right after Vegeta kills Zarbon. I have a lot of catching up to do.

But yeah, I've seen people disappointed in the series, especially since Brice Armstrong is no longer the Narrator (or Captain Ginyu, for that matter). Still, they always have Youtube. Dragon Ball is over 20 years old, right?

~St. Augustine

Est Sularus Et Mithas! Anime Fanatics Club v3! Selquist's Avatar

I have been watching anime since the mid 90's.

Some of my favorites are Outlaw Star, Inuyasha, Tenchi Muyo, Ai Yori Aoshi, Trigun, Gun Grave, Clannad, and well... most anime I've watched to date. lol

Back in the mid 90's, they started this thing (Japanimation) I believe it was called every saturday. They would play an anime movie every weekend and I discovered it one morning and was hooked from then on.

I only just started reading manga maybe a month ago. I've read the first book of two different series, but can't afford to get the others as of yet.

I can't really say as of yet, as I only read the first book of two different series. (Ral Grad, I can't remember the name of the other, but it's about people who died and are brought back to hunt ... creatures?)

I own those two manga I mentioned previously. I also have several anime series, but can't afford to have all of them. Otherwise I'd buy every single one ever made!

Currently I have Elfen Leid, Outlaw Star (my all time favorite!), Tenchi Muyo Galaxy Police, Blue Seed (didn't like this one), Trinity Blood and a few others I can't recall at the moment.

I am attempting to watch every anime I can get my hands on. My all time favorite anime movies are Galaxy Express 999 and Adieu Galaxy Express 999! The first ever anime I owned was Outlaw Star and is still one of my absolute favorites. Also, I know I'm a man, but I really like those.... er, sorta sappy ones where the couple gets together at the end or has the really dramatic/sad endings. >.> *cough* Ok, and I love Bleach (masculinity restored) <.<

P.S. I look forward to future discussions.

*EDIT* Does anyone know if you can find any of the following on DVD?

Galaxy Express 999
    Adieu Galaxy Express 999
    Venus Wars
    Lily C.A.T. (one of my fav's)
    Last edited by Selquist; 12-23-2010 at 05:12 PM.
    Cpl, USMC

Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy I
    Darksiders
    Fallout: New Vegas
    Magna Carta 2
    Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Recently Beaten:
    Dead Space
    Alan Wake
    Uncharted 2

I typed out a response a couple days ago, but I must have forgotten to hit the post button! (I guess that's what happens when you post too early in the morning...)

Anyway, welcome to the club Selquist.

Quote Originally Posted by Selquist
    Galaxy Express 999
    Adieu Galaxy Express 999
    Venus Wars
    Lily C.A.T. (one of my fav's)
    Old! I honestly don't think that there are DVD versions of Galaxy Express 999 and Adiew Galaxy Express 999... If you do find any DVDs, they are probably bootlegs. From what I read, the movies were released on DVD, and Adieu Galaxy Express 999 was released on VHS. It's available on Crunchyroll if you want to watch it. You could also download it, and burn your own DVDs if you want. lol

I found Venus Wars available on Amazon. You can buy it new for less than $50.

I found a VHS copy of Lily C.A.T. on Amazon for under $20. I don't think there is a DVD version available.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    In my opinion, if you can stand the filler episodes in the anime, I'd say go for it. You can also find out how it truly ends if you get the manga so you can spot the difference between the two. It gets really good, and I recommend it.
    Does that mean that the anime doesn't end the same way as the manga? I think I would just go for the manga if the anime's end isn't any good. The anime didn't really look like it was produced very well to begin with, so I probably wouldn't miss much if I just went for the manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda
    The only disappointing thing is that the Garlic Jr. Saga is cut since it wasn't canon I'm pretty sure.
    The Garlic Jr. Saga was my second favorite saga! Oh well, if I remember right this part wasn't really as elongated as the rest of the series. I'm still at the Namek saga with DBZ Kai, but I plan on watching until the end of the Cell saga eventually. I was never really that in to the Buu Saga, so I'll probably skip it.

So, I was wondering if anyone here actually keeps up with what is currently airing in Japan? I was going to ask what everyone is looking forward to in the Winter season, but it would be a little pointless if no one kept up with what's currently airing in Japan.

Also, I was thinking for our first activity, we could have a trivia contest. I'm just questioning this a little, though, because I don't really want it to turn out like that character guessing activity did. Those results were a little unfortunate. Anyway, tell me your opinions. I'm worried because I think either the questions would be too difficult, or the questions would be easy enough that someone could look them up. =/
    TFF Family:

Blog Entries

Does that mean that the anime doesn't end the same way as the manga? I think I would just go for the manga if the anime's end isn't any good. The anime didn't really look like it was produced very well to begin with, so I probably wouldn't miss much if I just went for the manga.
    That would be correct. It's kind of a shame that the anime ends differently, since the mangaka broke his hand while writing a chapter in the 200s. I really would have loved to watch the King Festival arc had they written it for the anime.

But yeah, the manga's awesome. If you had to pick between the two, go for the manga. ^^

So, I was wondering if anyone here actually keeps up with what is currently airing in Japan? I was going to ask what everyone is looking forward to in the Winter season, but it would be a little pointless if no one kept up with what's currently airing in Japan.
    Sadly, I do not. I do too much stuff online as it is.

Also, I was thinking for our first activity, we could have a trivia contest. I'm just questioning this a little, though, because I don't really want it to turn out like that character guessing activity did. Those results were a little unfortunate. Anyway, tell me your opinions. I'm worried because I think either the questions would be too difficult, or the questions would be easy enough that someone could look them up. =/
    Trivia sounds fun. I see where you're coming from, though. Coming up with the right questions is hard. I wouldn't mind trivia, but if the question was too difficult I'd just pass. And if everybody passed, we'd wait for a day or two for anyone who can answer, and if not we just love on to the next question.

I have no ideas for activities at the moment, but I'll try to think what I can come up with later.

~St. Augustine

Blog Entries

I haven't been watching a lot of the Winter Season, but I have been following The World God Only Knows, which is a lot of fun if you're a gamer. I have been interested in checking out a couple others from this season, but I tend to limit how much I do. Thankfully, Crunchyroll has the anime and I just catch it a week behind.

I honestly have no idea what is airing in Japan and what is out there. I have discovered Anilinkz and ya'll mentioned Crunchyroll. This is how I'm figuring out what is out there.

I think I only thing I follow is Bleach, and I usually wait some time so I can watch chunks of a streaming show at a time. Im rather impatient lol. *edit* (By impatient, I mean don't like waiting a week to see what happens next, so I watch to a good stopping point )

As for the trivia... I like the idea. However, it may be more difficult for some (such as myself) who do not have as extensive of a background in the many different anime/manga out there. I'm up for a challenge though!
    Last edited by Selquist; 12-24-2010 at 02:15 PM.
    Cpl, USMC

Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy I
    Darksiders
    Magna Carta 2

Recently Beaten:
    Dead Space
    Alan Wake
    Uncharted 2

Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    Thankfully, Crunchyroll has the anime and I just catch it a week behind.
    I was reading Crunchyroll's site, and apparently they plan to simulcast ten of the series airing this winter, which is about half of them. Funimation will probably end up streaming a couple shows too. It looks like we're getting close to a time when all anime will be simulcasted with English subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by Selquist
    I usually wait some time so I can watch chunks of a streaming show at a time. Im rather impatient lol.
    I'm actually the opposite. lol A lot of times when I'm not following a show weekly, I'll lose interest. I usually finish up the shows that I start, but sometimes it might take quite a while to get back to it, and then it's not really as interesting as when it was "new."

I'm still thinking about an activity. I didn't really feel like worrying about it over the holidays. =P Right now I'm thinking possibly a trivia contest, an anime song guessing contest, or something else along those lines. If anyone has suggestions or would like to comment on what I just threw out, go ahead and voice your opinions.

Here's a chart of what's airing this winter for anyone interested:

I'll probably end up watching a few shows, but I think GOSICK, Hourou Musuko, and Yumekui Merry look the most interesting. The first season of Kimi ni Todoke was intersting, but, based on my preconceived notions, it's not looking like the second season will be as good.

@Selquist

If you are looking for shows to watch, you can always go to an anime database site, find out what genres you like, and seach the site. I would recommend My Anime List, but there are several sites you could go to. Normally the higher rated shows are better as well. You could also post here for recommendations if you want.

As for watching the show, Crunchyroll and Hulu have a lot of free streaming material. There are also fansubs for unlicensed anime (and licensed anime ). I think fansubs are perfectly fine for shows that will never be licensed and released in Enlgish, but we probably shouldn't get into the ethics of fansubbing. =/
    TFF Family:

Blog Entries

I'm looking forward to Rio, Gothic (GOSICK being engrish of Gothic.. ;p ) , Freezing, Cardfight!! Vanguard, Yumekui Merry, Is This a Zombie? and 'I don't like you at all, Big brother!'

(I prefer cart's chart.)
    Last edited by Victoria; 01-02-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Being a Marvel fan, I couldn't help but notice the Wolverine one.

But wow. The world of anime is so huge. I don't know what I would recommend, since it's been a while since I watched anime (and just old episodes of my favorites). What would you guys recommend? I gotta be honest, any video I try to play as been loading slowly lately, so the only time I would actually watch something is if I had a boatload of time with the computer for myself.

~St. Augustine

Blog Entries

Do not watch Wolverine, I implore you greatly. Ironman sucked ass, and this one will too. Trust me.

I recommend "Is This a Zombie?" and GOSICK. Beelzebub and Cardfight!! if you like shonen stuff.

Blog Entries

Do not watch Wolverine, I implore you greatly. Ironman sucked ass, and this one will too. Trust me.
    I thought so. Never been a fan of Iron Man, and Wolverine's (the character) been getting a lot of praise. I like those two characters, and I think they're good. But they're also overrated.

I recommend "Is This a Zombie?" and GOSICK. Beelzebub and Cardfight!! if you like shonen stuff.
    I might check out GOSICK. Sounds pretty good.

EDIT: Also noticed Supernatural in that list of yours, but I think I'll stick to the original version.
    Last edited by Leon; 01-02-2011 at 10:18 PM.

~St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Being a Marvel fan, I couldn't help but notice the Wolverine one.
    Yeah, there're also anime adaptions of X-men and Blade coming. Unfortunately, my hopes for those are pretty low as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    But wow. The world of anime is so huge. I don't know what I would recommend, since it's been a while since I watched anime (and just old episodes of my favorites). What would you guys recommend? I gotta be honest, any video I try to play as been loading slowly lately, so the only time I would actually watch something is if I had a boatload of time with the computer for myself.
    It really depends what you like in an anime. I would also recommend GOSICK. I have high hopes for Fractale too, but it might be more of a coin flip if it is really that good or not.

I would like to recommend some more current shows that are airing on TV, but unfortunately anime doesn't really air on TV like it used to. I also understand where you're coming from with having a slower internet connection. I remember when I used to try and watch anime when I had dial-up. I would have to let my computer load overnight to be able to watch an episode. =/ Once I got a laptop, I found that my local library had great internet speed, so that solved my problem.
    TFF Family:

Blog Entries

It really depends what you like in an anime. I would also recommend GOSICK. I have high hopes for Fractale too, but it might be more of a coin flip if it is really that good or not.
    Given your suggestions, I'm definitely going to give GOSICK a try. Not sure when, though. My time on the computer is usually limited.

I would like to recommend some more current shows that are airing on TV, but unfortunately anime doesn't really air on TV like it used to. I also understand where you're coming from with having a slower internet connection. I remember when I used to try and watch anime when I had dial-up. I would have to let my computer load overnight to be able to watch an episode. =/ Once I got a laptop, I found that my local library had great internet speed, so that solved my problem.
    I used to have dial-up too. And I guess I'll just stick with the Internet, then.

~St. Augustine

The original X-men show that aired on TV when I was a kid was great. Anything they do now-a-days I find hard to stomach.

Also, that's a pretty extensive list. A lot of them look really interesting (and I watch all types so there is really no limitation there).

However, what I'm curious to know is if the majority of those that are currently airing have to be downloaded (as in torrents or the like). I know you mentioned a portion would be simulcast? on crunchyroll I believe it was? I don't have any sort of downloader anymore (for lack of common computer skills in getting the da$%ed things to run properly. >.> ). In that matter, what would be a good source to download from?

As far as finding out what genre the anime is, I've checked out "MyAnimeList" and it is helpful, but is there anything that sorts titles of anime by certain genres? When I searched for one (and I’m not familiar with them unless I look them up each time [bad memory]) it just added shows with that word in the title or a close approximation of the aforementioned.

I shall keep looking myself, but I should let it be known that "I" am currently on dial-up and don't have much patience with it. >.>

P.S. (happy belated holidays to ya'll)
    Cpl, USMC

Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy I
    Darksiders
    Magna Carta 2

Recently Beaten:
    Dead Space
    Alan Wake
    Uncharted 2