Thread: ZOMG Stereotypes

Memento Rhapso ZOMG Stereotypes Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ZOMG Stereotypes

In class the other day we had a substitute. This woman was over nine-thousand years old AND ACTUALLY TALKED LIKE ONE WOULD PRE-CONCEIVE! I always thought stereotypes were just for movies or television and coined by one person who noticed something. The reason I think that is because I was raised not to be judgemental or utilize stereotypes vocally. But this lady was talking about Sockhops and Friday Evening on the Patton Avenue!

-Point for those unwilling to read
    Have you ever encountered a stereotype you didn't think actually occured? If so, what was it?

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

Bananarama ZOMG Stereotypes Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: ZOMG Stereotypes

You mean like kids who live in their parents' basements til they're 30 and have no social skills outside of chatrooms and web forums?
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

I once saw a black guy who was ugly.

Stereotype confirmed!
    Last edited by Jin; 05-17-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Until now!

Soup Kitchen Jerk. ZOMG Stereotypes Polk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhapsoBlarg View Post
    This woman was over nine-thousand years old
    4chan misses you. Maybe you should go back there?

It pains me to actually contribute to this thread, but one night at work this black guy came in, bought some watermelon and fried chicken, and also had a chubby white girl with him. And then he and I got into a rap batle.

I schooled that fool!
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

The Bad Boy of TFF ZOMG Stereotypes Block's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You mean like kids who live in their parents' basements til they're 30 and have no social skills outside of chatrooms and web forums?
    You need to leave me alone.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

I thought types like 'redneck' were exaggerated.
    Then I went online and suddenly I'm seeing a lot of evidence they exist.

It's not often I find myself disbelieving a lot of the stereotypes though, especially when they can apply to large groups of people in general rather than just the one ethnicity. I mean a lot of black people *do* seem to like fried chicken, watermelon and grape soda. But then so do a lot of other ethnicities. I like all three of those things and I can almost out-white white itself.
    victoria aut mors

Death Before Dishonor ZOMG Stereotypes Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Asian drivers is a big one that comes to mind. They are a rare breed in Kentucky, but if you do see one odds are they can't drive worth a damn.

Hmmm.... Canadians=Assholes. Now that does not apply for all Canadians, Tiff and Jin are ok, other than that ehhhh. But the ones that were all butt hurt after the olympics for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    I thought types like 'redneck' were exaggerated.
    Then I went online and suddenly I'm seeing a lot of evidence they exist.
    Dude that shit is for real. Trust me I live in North Eastern Kentucky...Appalachia. Being that you are Austrailian ask around about Appalachia Redneck central. Also watch the movie called Wrong Turn, takes place in West Virginia, I don't think it would be a strecth to say that it is real.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh_R View Post
    Hmmm.... Canadians=Assholes. Now that does not apply for all Canadians, Tiff and Jin are ok, other than that ehhhh. But the ones that were all butt hurt after the olympics for sure.
    Actually, the stereotype is just the opposite. The stereotype is that Canadians are polite, among other things. It's untrue of course, but that's the stereotype. And why would we be butt hurt after the Olympics? We got more golds than anyone else, including the only one that matters: hockey.

But these are all side points. My main point in this post is to express my outrage that I don't affirm this alleged Canadian = asshole stereotype. Am I really slipping that much? First I'm not the most antagonistic and now I don't affirm an alleged asshole stereotype? My life is falling apart.
    Last edited by Jin; 05-18-2010 at 05:30 PM.

Until now!

I always say my Uncle is that stereotype relative who loves to hear himself talk and go on about the old days. Drives me nuts

That's all I an think of.

Gingersnap ZOMG Stereotypes OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am a redhead and sometimes I lose my temper.

Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

Lady Succubus ZOMG Stereotypes Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My hair is dark and my skin is pale. That means I'm goth.

(Well... I do like the gothic fashion a little bit.)

I also wear a lot of fishnet, that means I'm a whore. D:

That's all I can think of.

Blog Entries

I'm mostly dutch, so each birthday that I have lasts like a week long celebration because birthdays are that important.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Shake it like a polaroid picture ZOMG Stereotypes RagnaToad's Avatar

I don't think I'm a stereotype myself. I play the guitar and only get a haircut like once every 6 months or so. Don't know if that's a stereotype or not.

I'm wondering how many of you are stereotypical gamers.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaToad View Post
    I'm wondering how many of you are stereotypical gamers.
    Meeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Until now!

A Plain Old Derp ZOMG Stereotypes Padraic's Avatar

[QUOTE=Josh_R;1269408]
    QUOTE]

The stereotypes for Canadians is actually being over polite, saying eh, practically living hockey, and drinking beer (like the irish...)

I come from an irish family, one that moved to Canada a long time ago, and can say that my family fits the stereotype really well, a) we like drinking b) we like potatoes, and c) most of us are pretty damn lucky.

Death Before Dishonor ZOMG Stereotypes Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Padraic View Post
    The stereotypes for Canadians is actually being over polite, saying eh, practically living hockey, and drinking beer (like the irish...).
    Hmm not so sure about the eh thing. I always thought that to, but then I spent a few weeks with one of my friends in Canada. He never said it, his family never said it, and none of his friends said it. They all did love Ice Hockey so...

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh_R View Post
    Hmm not so sure about the eh thing. I always thought that to, but then I spent a few weeks with one of my friends in Canada. He never said it, his family never said it, and none of his friends said it.
    This may be both dangerous and revolutionary thinking, but stereotypes aren't necessarily true.

I know, right?
    The Box <-----------> My Thinking

Until now!

Bananarama ZOMG Stereotypes Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I was in Toronto for a Blue Jays game, I have to say, I was pretty wowed by the general hospitality of pretty much everyone. We went to a little hole in the wall sports bar on the first night, with the NICEST wait staff I've ever encountered. Amazing service, and they were so incredibly humble about it. When we left them a big tip, they tried to politely argue that we were much too generous. The tried to give some of it back, and we had to tell them that if they really felt that badly, then they should give some to charity. It was surreal.

When we got to the game, some Blue Jays fans were heckling David Newhan (then of the Orioles). They we're saying things like "Hey Newhan, you're not very good! You're not a very good player!" and this middle aged couple behind us clucked their tongues and said "Oh that's not very nice."

It was seriously the nicest heckling I've ever encountered.
    Last edited by Pete; 05-21-2010 at 11:12 PM.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Sir Prize ZOMG Stereotypes Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Living in this place... It's hard to not come into contact with either stereotypes or, more commonly, those who live by them. I would say that each stereotype, is true about 35% of the time in all applied subjects, one way or the other. But then, this is by observation and observation from the standpoint of the human brain can encounter biases and prejudices. One might say, reinforced through synchronicity and through personal encounters.

The stereotypical compulsive saying of "eh" by Canadians, which was more than likely capitalized on in the manner of a running joke than it actually being a wide-spread practice. But it was marked possibly as being unique to Canada, nonetheless and sticks out in non-native people's heads when the think of Canadians. Numerous other people, besides Canadians, have said "eh"...but because of reinforcement it is now a decidedly Canadian thing to say.

I doubt the human race is so vast and varied that it can't all be summed up with one practice or feeling. As a species, we're as varied as the next, but don't expect too much.

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Sharing is caring, and caring is ment to be shared ZOMG Stereotypes The Dark Crystal's Avatar

Driving down the freeway and seeing two Piolin stickers on both sides of a cars bumper.
    THE GREAT CONJUNCTION IS THE END OF THE WORLD! Or the beginning. Hm! -Aughra

gaming service ID:

Memento Rhapso ZOMG Stereotypes Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I ran into another one last night. At the skating rink, I was trying to get out of the actual rink part to get a drink, and then stepped wrong, causing me to flail about a bit trying to keep balance. Then this guy with dirty hair pulled back into a pony tail and wearing a wife beater rolled up behind me and said "Don't fall brah."
    It would've been complete if he did the hang loose sign.
    Last edited by Rhaps; 07-27-2010 at 06:45 AM.

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

Arachnie Suicide ZOMG Stereotypes ChloChloAriadne's Avatar

So once I knew this Asian guy. And his penis was over 10" long.

STEREOTYPE BUSTED.
    I've been on this site since 2006 woah

I do what you can't. ZOMG Stereotypes Sasquatch's Avatar

Honestly, most of the people I've encountered actually live up to their stereotypes. My Polish bartender is a little empty-headed. My German roommate drinks and swears a lot -- I mean he drinks a LOT, so much so that I might not even be able to keep up with him. One of my best friends is Belgian, and he's a total wuss. The first time I went to Iraq, we had a former Marine and a former Sailor with us. The former Marine was a hardass and really gung-ho, but dumber than a friggin' rock. Th ex-Navy guy was cool, but really, really gay. I mean, he wasn't actually gay, but it was hard to tell sometimes. Last time I went, we had one black guy in our Company of 107. He wasn't really stereotypical black, but he hated other black people that were. He personified the difference between black people and "niggers". But, sorry to say, most black people I've met are very different -- especially when they preach about how stereotypes are bad, then sit back and let every bit of the culture they claim scream with those exact stereotypes.

I know that not every person is a walking, talking stereotype, and that perhaps not even a majority of people in a group act the way they are stereotyped. But there are reasons those stereotypes exist.

Sig courtesy of Plastik Assassin.

Greater love hath no man than this; that he lay down his life for his friends.
    John 15:13

This ain't no place for no hero ZOMG Stereotypes Tiffany's Avatar

I'm Canadian and I say "eh" way more than I mean to. Its just so versatile! I don't like hockey so I don't fit into THAT stereotype... I am pretty polite so that one works... meh... its all good.

I'd rather be Canadian than anything else tho... soooowwwy folks!