Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: That X-men poster

Bananarama That X-men poster Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll be perfectly blunt in saying that I understand the gripes here, but I really don't think that it has a true effect on the majority of people. We're talking about a small population of the internet, regardless of how much noise it seems to be causing.

The fact that the author of the article had to mention that Mystique is naked is really irrelevant here. It's no more revealing than any skintight bodysuit that Black Widow wears in the Avengers movies. And no, I'm not going to go searching up and down feminist websites to find something that disproves that.

Of course going to a feminist slanted site will have an anti poster angle, but I'm still convinced that most people have already decided that they were going to see it or not well before the controversy. Personally, I don't care for the X-Men movies, not enough to see them in theatres at least.

The poster was probably not the smartest of scenes to put on a poster, but it's not worth all of the controversy and complaining. I guarantee that after watching the movie, nobody will have a gripe about that scene, entirely due to the fact that Mystique probably kicks as much, if not more bad guy ass than any of the male characters. Except Wolverine, because chicks go full sploosh when Hugh Jackman pops his shirt off. But that's ok

~ AUTO-MERGED POSTS ~

Don't lie, you just want to be part of the most active thread we've had in months
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Blog Entries
    I don't get why its even being talked about this much. It's like saying the dude who shot Bruce Wayne's parents, in the alley, in Batman can't pull Mrs. Wayne's necklace off and they can't be portrayed using guns. Whoever that dude in the poster is, obviously chokes a bitch in the story. The **** is wrong with that? If bad guys can't do bad guy things anymore, then all we have are good guys. That's not how it works. So if I really want to choke women, but I only show myself in selfies choking men, that's all good? Darth Vader learned the hard way, you can't just choke all your problems, anyway.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

The Mad God That X-men poster Heartless Angel's Avatar
    But you can try, damnit. You can try.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Gingersnap That X-men poster OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Brett wtf are you even talking about?
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

Blog Entries
    Man in the poster is choking Mystique. I think she's part of the X-Men? So he must be a bad guy. Choking anyone is bad. If people aren't allowed to show bad people doing bad stuff in movies, then what? It is my opinion that the people complaining about this particular poster are dumb.

I don't want to choke anyone, and I used the batman reference because I thought everyone knew about Batman and the alley, and he's also a superhero (like X-Men). Darth Vader force chokes a bunch of people and even kills Padme before he becomes Vader with a force choke while she's pregnant with Luke.

Boxer of the Galaxy That X-men poster Rowan's Avatar
    i think summing up we have the following

facts>feelings (imo this is the main point)
    bad guys doing bad guy stuff is legitimate
    superhero women are not exempt from violence because they are women.
    there is nothing wrong with the billboard
    Last edited by Rowan; 06-12-2016 at 07:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    I think we can all agree that of all the images that they could have used to promote this movie, they didn't pick wisely. I understand wanting to show Apocalypses power and some JLaw, but there could other ways of showing it. I don't really expect much with the X-Men movies though. They should really just give it to the MCU.

It does however force change, but for the wrong reasons. If I'm a marketing exec, I probably lose my job over this. If I'm everyone else in said marketing department, I'm not going to push the envelope, not because it's "wrong" or upsetting, but because I'm not going to want to listen to everyone getting up in arms. A decision to run that poster can easily ruin a career and even worse, sink a movie.

So yes, feminists got the poster changed, but only because they wouldn't shut up about it until the studio wanted to make the problem go away. It's not so much social justice as it is business
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

I invented Go-Gurt. That X-men poster Clint's Avatar
    I think we should find whoever produced the billboard and murder his entire family.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I think we should find whoever produced the billboard and murder his entire family.
    That's sexist, implying it's a man who came up with the ad.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    He was probably a straight white male cis scum.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    According to feminism, a woman is infallible and superior in every way to her male counterpart. Considering how disgraceful, sexist, and downright offensive the billboard is, one can safely assume it was produced by a Jewish man.

Blog Entries
    Muh shekels
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

Yanqui UXO That X-men poster charliepanayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    According to feminism, a woman is infallible and superior in every way to her male counterpart.
    Feminism doesn't say that at all. But you know that.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

The Mad God That X-men poster Heartless Angel's Avatar
    It totally does. That's like chapter 3 of the feminist manifesto.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Feminism doesn't say that at all. But you know that.
    Feminism by definition states that men and women are equal. Feminism by practice states that men are stupid and women aren't. The idea of feminism is good, but once a mass of people become involved in an ideology, it turns to shit, because people are ****ing retarded.

Blog Entries
    The first two waves of feminism were great. Giving women the right to go to school and vote was great. Starting to break down the glass ceiling and having women become more than just baby and sammich makers, also great.

This third wave though. It's all about dominance and making men subservient. Not so great
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

Blog Entries
    My stomach hurts right now, so I don't really want to respond to this, but I feel like I have to as one of the only women participating in this thread, so here goes.

What?

You guuuyyyyyysss.

Like I know some shitheads make an attempt at hijacking the movement, but come on. Lawmakers are still trying to push through legislation that limits our reproductive rights, and it ain't even the 1900s anymore. Some swimmer got an offensively light sentence after being found by two witnesses sexually assaulting an unconscious woman, because the judge was worried that a heavier sentence would have too "severe" an effect on him.

I know you're tired of hearing about it, and we're tired of talking about it. It's great that you guys seem to agree that women deserve equal rights and protections, but we still have work to do.

People still use "like a girl" and "you're being a pussy" as an insult meant to strike a chord with insecure young men, and it still works. Toxic masculinity hurts all of us, and it limits male self expression, too. Feminine is seen as lesser, and it will take time and conversation to get us, as a society, over that.

It's important. You're allowed to make jokes, sure, but imagine (if you care) how that looks to the people still trying to be seen as having equal value to you.

Hint: kinda shitty.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

LISTEN HERE!

I dont like thinking of it in 'waves', as if it had any credibility to begin with. Rights for women came from secularist movement, discussion, reason and thought, provoked by moral philosophy. If there was such a thing as a patriarchy (which actually is a feminist belief), women would never had any form of voice or say - ever. This fundemental flaw in their ideaology is clear.

What gets my goat about it though is that what masquerades as a fight for equality, is as previously mentioned a plethora of times, is not. Its about female superiority and male subservity. This is evident by one of the earliest changes to law which was responsible by feminist idea. The custody of children being granted to women without the means of which to look after children. To this very day, men in the extreme majority are forced to provide 'alimony' to women unable to financially care for the children they are granted by default. Please tell me how this 'right' to another mans paycheck is evidence of equality. Please tell me how if a man accused of rape is guilty until proven innocent. Please tell me how you dare look a WW vet in the eyes and tell him that women are the primary victims or war.

There is a huge culture of disrespect, but its not exclusive to women. Its just men wont often admit to being a victim. Feminism doesn't solve this, and will never solve this. It only distracts from the thought and reasoning that got us to where are today.

If Erin Pizzey, who created the worlds first ever domestic violence shelter and was a feminist, can see through the bigotry, then why cant you? If you give 2 shits about what you believe, then I sugguest you read about her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erin_Pizzey

@oceaneyes, you got in there as I was typing mine.
    The issues you describe are certainly a big ***** deal. But they stem from beliefs held by old religious sandbags that should be tossed aside. You're in the states, right? We dont have rediculous laws like that in Australia, mainly because our country is mostly secular and our laws dont coincide with the beliefs of religious political figures. (in reference to reproductive rights)

We have however, let repeat offender rapists out only to have them kill and murder young women 2 weeks after parole. The judicial system is absolutley fked no matter where you live, but nothing to do with patriarchy.

In terms of using insults like "you hit like a girl" I dont see whats wrong with it. Men and Women are different, and thats not a bad thing. Men and women are segregated when it comes to sports, because having women vs men is unfair because there is a distinct biological difference. This doesn't mean women cant be good at something, it just means there is a difference between the genders (there are 2, by the way). Rhonda Rousey is not representative of all women the same way the kardashians arnt, but for all intents and purposes, saying someone hits like a girl isnt an insult to women, its an insult to men.

I know you probably dont like what im saying, and its not my intention to upset you, but I really wanted to get that out there.
    Last edited by Rowan; 06-14-2016 at 04:44 PM.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact some bnic actually got offended by this poster and that Rowan of all people made a thread about it.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    for all intents and purposes, saying someone hits like a girl isnt an insult to women, its an insult to men.
    Exactly.

"You hit like a man who doesn't work out or use his arms very much" is hard to say, I guess.

That is interesting, though. You went physical with it, but "You dress like a girl," "You sound like a girl," "You walk like a girl," are all insults to boys. "Not bad, for a girl." "I'm surprised you knew that. Most girls don't." "You're not like other girls." And then the lovely internalized misogyny of "I'm not like other girls."

Implying that there is something wrong with being a girl. If you must be a girl, fine, but if you're a man, why on earth would you want to be anything like a girl? Right?

P.S. You haven't upset me, I'm glad to have a conversation with you.
    Last edited by OceanEyes28; 06-14-2016 at 05:05 PM.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

LISTEN HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by OceanEyes28 View Post
    Exactly.

"You hit like a man who doesn't work out or use his arms very much" is hard to say, I guess.

That is interesting, though. You went physical with it, but "You dress like a girl," "You sound like a girl," "You walk like a girl," are all insults to boys. "Not bad, for a girl." "I'm surprised you knew that. Most girls don't." "You're not like other girls." And then the lovely internalized misogyny of "I'm not like other girls."

Implying that there is something wrong with being a girl. If you must be a girl, fine, but if you're a man, why on earth would you want to be anything like a girl? Right?

P.S. You haven't upset me, I'm glad to have a conversation with you.
    Good!

But yeah, these are all perfectly valid insults. Just like how women can be told "you act like a man" "you sound like a man" You walk like a man" or a guy can be told "you're not like other guys"

every single insult can be used for the opposite gender too. It just appears to me that no matter whether you are telling a man he acts like a girl, or a girl she acts like a man, it always seems to insult feminists only?

The thing is though, dressing like a girl, sounding like a girl, walking like a girl, how could this possibly be insulting to a woman?
    Last edited by Rowan; 06-14-2016 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanEyes28 View Post
    People still use "like a girl" and "you're being a pussy" as an insult meant to strike a chord with insecure young men, and it still works. Toxic masculinity hurts all of us, and it limits male self expression, too. Feminine is seen as lesser, and it will take time and conversation to get us, as a society, over that.
    A man wanting to be seen as a man isn't degrading to women. It's not toxic masculinity, it's men not wanting to be women.

Blog Entries
    Not every man expresses himself the same way.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

LISTEN HERE!

Modern feminism wants men to be less masculine. That's a problem. People should be whoever they want to be. Men don't need judgemental feminists telling them that they're wrong for being themselves. Everybody on earth should mind their own ****ing business. Feminism is supposed to be about equal rights, not a dictation of how men should or shouldn't be.
    Last edited by Clint; 06-17-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    I agree, everyone should just shut the **** up and live their lives. If you don't plan on hurting anyone or infringing on anyone else's rights or pursuit of life, liberty and property, I don't care what you do.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

Blog Entries
    omg I literally just said, "Not every man expresses himself the same way." I didn't say, "You should be less masculine," whatever that even means.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

LISTEN HERE!

You also literally said masculinity limits male self expression, which is a bullshit statement. As if a man being masculine is wrong. Feminism is as bullshit of a movement as that stupid "black lives matter" thing. Call it civil rights, include everybody in your equality ideology, and nobody will be alienated.

Blog Entries
    I think you've missed my point. I said toxic masculinity, which is the idea that a Real Man is strong, sexually aggressive, violent, unemotional (except anger, anger is fine), and would never be a victim of abuse (because a Real Man would fight back), and etc. I (and feminists like me) am suggesting that men are not all like this, and they shouldn't have to be in order to be considered masculine. A lot of men suffer in silence because of antiquated ideas of what makes a man. I am not sure why that is offensive to you.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

LISTEN HERE!

Blog Entries
    I thought Clint was just satire to prove a point? He is a real person? What?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast