Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Workin' out brah!?

The British Guy. Workin' out brah!? Robbo's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Workin' out brah!?

I thought it might be nice if we posted what excercise plans we're doing and what goals we want to achieve, then update this thread every few months with results.

I'm just looking to cut down and bulk up (i'm a fatty)
    5 day Gym goer working different muscle groups each day followed by cardio.
    I have Protein shakes and Creatine although people keep warning me about Creatine so I was thinking of abandoning it.

I'm pretty new to the whole thing, think i'm about 5 months in.

So I was kind of hoping that as a boss community we could help each other out with bits of advice we'd picked up. What do you think?
    CPC8... Makin' it happen

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin
    Ruin says
    someone fart in my eye
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Elder
    Melibooyah says:
    Uggh bbl everyone is blowing me uo and I have to do my homework -_-
    Typo's change everything ^

Gingersnap Workin' out brah!? OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Heeeeyyyyyy good for you! That's awesome.

I'm actually on my first month of creatine, myself. I didn't do the loading period, because my stomach is sensitive and my feels are sensitive about seeing sudden water weight on the scale. But I've been taking it for four weeks now, so it should be pretty well saturated. I've had longer stretches of maintenance periods in my weight, but I'm still slowly losing.
    It's one of the most thoroughly researched supplements available, and it's a chemical that's already found in your muscles and available in meat. It's also beneficial for vegetarians, who don't get it from meat sources. I'm a pescetarian, which means the occasional fish is the only meat I eat, so I was pretty interested in trying it for a while. I liken it to taking melatonin to help sleep or supplementing whey protein.
    I'm basically doing Strong Lifts 5x5 with some accessories and running days, while eating on a caloric deficit to work off my... let's call it post-wedding bulk lol. I was stalling on some lifts, and the more I read about creatine being helpful on a cut, the more I wanted to try it.

So far, so good! I've started progressing slowly again, and I have way more energy.

As for running, I'm thinking I might like to work up to a half marathon. I certainly want to work my long runs up to 10 miles. My long run today was 7.12 miles, so I'm getting close.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

Certified tech, come at me! Workin' out brah!? SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have been in workout mode myself. I take walks almost every morning. When I go out, I take the dog around my entire development (I have a small oval-sized development), walk her back to the house, walk back outside, go to a development across the street from my development, walk all the way down to the end of that development, and then walk all the way back to the house. On top of that I do push-ups, averaging around 150 at best. There have been times I have been able to do up to 200, but I still have some ways to go.

I also practice with my bostaff I used back when I attended a martial arts taw-kwon-do school. I'm not going to bother with weight lifting because I prefer the flexibility and I hear you lose that when you lift heavy weights and do curls. There has been a time I bounced on the exercise trampoline I have around the house and I need to get back to that to help me build my form.

I haven't really planned a proper diet, but I do want to incorporate a lot of fruit eating, and I do make sure to drink water often, that is my primary choice of beverage around the house.
    Currently Playing:

Boxer of the Galaxy Workin' out brah!? Rowan's Avatar
    As someone whos been going to gym heavily for almost 2 years now and tried a variety of diet and meal plans, dont get too caught up in supplements and complexities. Keep it simple and live by the following;

You wanna get muscle
    Train hard
    Eat clean
    Eat a lot

If you wanna lose wieght
    Train hard
    Eat clean
    Eat less

Body adapts to the strain its put under and develops accordingly.
    Body gains mass when you eat more than your daily caloric intake requirement
    Body loses mass when you eat less than your daily caloric intake requirement

The British Guy. Workin' out brah!? Robbo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    As someone whos been going to gym heavily for almost 2 years now and tried a variety of diet and meal plans, dont get too caught up in supplements and complexities. Keep it simple and live by the following;

You wanna get muscle
    Train hard
    Eat clean
    Eat a lot

If you wanna lose wieght
    Train hard
    Eat clean
    Eat less

Body adapts to the strain its put under and develops accordingly.
    Body gains mass when you eat more than your daily caloric intake requirement
    Body loses mass when you eat less than your daily caloric intake requirement
    Can you not consume enough protein to gain muscle mass but also try to eat good carbs and good proteins to a point where you still lose weight?
    'Cause that's what I've been attempting and if it's a no go I guess i'll just Bulk until Feb/March.
    CPC8... Makin' it happen

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin
    Ruin says
    someone fart in my eye
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Elder
    Melibooyah says:
    Uggh bbl everyone is blowing me uo and I have to do my homework -_-
    Typo's change everything ^

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    Can you not consume enough protein to gain muscle mass but also try to eat good carbs and good proteins to a point where you still lose weight?
    'Cause that's what I've been attempting and if it's a no go I guess i'll just Bulk until Feb/March.
    Lose weight gain muscle same time? I tried it, didnt work well for me. What has worked well was heavy training and eating as much as I possibly could everyday, even days you dont work out since your body is constantly working towards repairing itself, gotta fuel it.

Bananarama Workin' out brah!? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's difficult but not impossible. The catch 22 that really occurs is that while you're working out and presumably lifting, you're burning fat (if you eat healthier meals) but also packing on muscle. You'll gain muscle mass which is more dense than fat, so your weight will largely stay the same, if not fluctuate mildly. On the bright side, muscle takes calories to maintain itself, and that helps to burn fat with a reduced calorie diet.

Basic shit, stay away from fast food, white carbs (white rice, white bread), all sodas (even diet) and beer, tons of empty calories there. Stick with grilled chicken, brown rice, veggies. You don't have to go crazy, but just be conscious of your decisions.

Also, technique is key to maximizing the effectiveness of your workout. Make sure you get your technique down, and if you can't perform the exercise properly at the weight you're using, keep bumping the weight down until you can. After that, make sure you can get the number of reps you're looking for. There's no sense in lifting a shit ton of weight if you're not doing it right. You'll just set yourself up for injury.

Also things to consider, cardio helps to burn calories, but things like running can also hurt muscle growth.

And some motivation Workin' out brah!?-muscle-vs-fat-jpg
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

The best you could hope for is to maintain your current muscle mass while losing fat, never heard a successful story of someone losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time who wasn't on gear.

I tend to agree with Pete for the most part, in that muscle takes calories to maintain/grow, but if you want to build muscle you gotta lift heavy and eat a lot. As long as you can lift properly, lift heavy even if it means you can only push out 4 reps. The body adapts to the stress its put under, I see people in the gym lifting for 2 reps a set often. You will get stronger if you put your body under stress, but yeah, try not to hurt yourself in the process. Pressing 100kg for 3 reps is better than pressing 70kg for 10+ reps. To extrapolate more on that point, everyones goal in the gym is to make progress and with size comes strength.
    Last edited by Rowan; 08-16-2015 at 04:07 PM.

I'm at that weird lose weight (fat, rly) and build muscle situation. I'm not losing much in terms of the scale but my numbers are definitely increasing, so it's working. My wrist is ****ed at the moment though so it's screwing with my lifting. My schedule's a bit wonky but typically I lift 3-5 days per week. Just protein shakes since I'm pretty sure it's way too early for me to even bother with anything else. I'm hoping to hit 200 lbs in two of my lifts by year-end, BUT WE'LL SEE. One of them is on-track but I haven't made as many gains in the other.

I want to work out mostly to just keep my back from not being crappy as I get older.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

#LOCKE4GOD Workin' out brah!? Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I used to go the gym but was put off by the cost and the attitude of people in my gym (very condescending to anyone below their level... even though that was once them).

Full credit to those who like going to the gym, especially those who aim to build muscle. But I realised that wasn't me. I'm very fit however, yet I get most of that exercise incidentally. I only drive for long trips and if I need to buy a lot at the supermarket. Get walking and riding to where you need to go and you'll exercise without really trying. If you notice that it's a ****ing nice day, get up early and go for a run to enjoy it. #FitnessTips from Alpha.

Alpha hit it on the spot, so many people just ridicule you if you aren't experienced in gym shit.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Blog Entries
    That's really a shame.

I love when people exercise. I have a weird interest in what other people do, so this thread is my shit right now. My friend just started swimming for exercise and I keep asking her about it, how it's going, etc because I want her to feel encouraged and like I'd care if she hit a milestone and wanted to brag a little. I don't have many friends I can do that with. Like, sometimes I reach a goal and I want to share, but either the other person doesn't care (which... you know, fair enough) or they'll make it seem like it's not very impressive.

But **** that, any goal you set and then worked hard to reach is impressive.

I have it easy though, because I have enough space that I could buy a squat rack/bench/bar/plates from Craigslist, and my neighborhood is great for running. So I literally just walk down the hall or out the door, and no one gives me weird looks when I lift (except for my pig).

I'm kind of where Tiff is, losing body fat while my numbers slowly go up and my arms/legs look better and better. It's really like.... 5lbs that I want to lose but those five ****ers are stubborn as shit. My TDEE and BMR are pretty close together, so I don't have a lot of deficit to play around with. But I'm gonna do it. Cardio helps.

Also I have officially signed up for a half marathon in March 2016.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

LISTEN HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I used to go the gym but was put off by the cost and the attitude of people in my gym (very condescending to anyone below their level... even though that was once them).
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Alpha hit it on the spot, so many people just ridicule you if you aren't experienced in gym shit.
    I find that so strange because anyone who takes it seriously only really gives a shit abou themself, as arrogant as that sounds but it means they usually dont take notice of what others are doing, let alone ridicule them. Can you give examples? cause thats messed up...

Queen Workin' out brah!? Crescent's Avatar
    The gym is like a sanctuary to me tbh. I get up around 5 every morning to go n am there for an hr to 2 sumtimes with friends. Exercise or working out gives me the same euphoric feeling i get when im at a club dancing so I will never understand ppl who hate it, its one of my favourite ways (next to dancing) to unwind and de-stress. Music is key, esp when I have new music to listen to.

I cant say that ive had those experiences at any gym Ive been to. I just do my own thing. Its enough that ur even there so forget everyone n just use the equipment. I dont go to the weights section all that much which is where most of the guys congregate but when I do n look like a retard tryin to work one of the bigger pieces of equipment the guys r sweet n always help me out. Ive made a few friends at the gyms Ive joined over the years, girls at reception n personal trainers. They'll ask if me if i wanna try one of the new group classes (n Zumba cuz those get full quick) n they reserve a spot for me n my friends hehe.

As for OP, my 2 cents is to not neglect cardio. I understand most guys wanna build muscle n cardio hinders their progress but ppl underestimate the importance of getting that heart rate up. Your endurance, energy levels, lymphatic system (skin, complexion etc) amongst of a whole host of other things will improve immensely. You'll feel such a difference, trust meee ^.~

^ Cardio is awesome ^
    Im still not sure how it hinders muscle progress (unless it means burned calories that would otherwise be used for muscle growth?) but it hasn't hindered mine. Maybe thats cause I eat a lot though, lol.

Do enough cardio and neglect doing weights means you're bound to lose gains. You burn through your lean muscle which is what you want to build. I'm happy enough doing sets of 10, lmao. But I'll need to actually start doing cardio because I'm an idiot and signed up for another Tough Mudder in November.

I miss the euphoria that I used to get, but I think it was just more pronounced because I'd lift at lunch and then go back to my shit job. The difference is drastic. These days I feel good enough but I'm not quite hitting it the same way, not sure.

Also it's a little surprising to hear people getting made fun of at the gym? I know it's a common fear and it was one of mine originally but I honestly have only gotten positive feedback and people are pretty supportive. The only time I ever get frustrated is people half repping on the rack.

Blog Entries
    I ****ing hate anyone who brings their phone into the gym. Do not text, do not call, **** off and lift or run. Don't sit on a bench and text or whatever, just lift.

I'm actually looking to do the tunnel to towels 5k this year. Need to start running again but I won't when it's currently 93 degrees and I just worked all day outside
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

Blog Entries
    For most people, I'm guessing "cardio kills gains" because they burn more calories than they're eating.

An elite marathoner will be super lean because they train those long, fast distances, and aesthetic muscle is extra weight that would hinder them. Meanwhile, elite body builders need to get huge, and are more focused on aesthetic than heart health. Depends on your goals.

Most of us are not elite athletes, and a little cardio won't ruin everything. You can't be an elite marathoner and an elite powerlifter at the same time, but you can be pretty okay at both.

The heart is a muscle too. <3

ALSO THO, I record my sets and weights and crap on my phone while resting between sets, don't judge a phone by its cover?
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

LISTEN HERE!

I take my phone everywhere with me but its esp important to have on me at the gym when im running on the treadmill for an hr+ everyday. It has all my MUSIC. Tbh Im too focused on what im doing to be paying attention to what other ppl are doing at the gym. Just dont bother ME plz.

As for what I put into my body, Im vegan n eat mostly a plant-based diet. I dont crave/like processed food at all. Simple rule- Eat like shit = Feel like shit.

I invented Go-Gurt. Workin' out brah!? Clint's Avatar
    I used to bench press, but I found a regimented workout routine significantly decreased my weight. I dropped from 150 to 118 in about three months, and it's taken me 9 years to regain that weight. To keep in shape, I was doing things like sit ups, push ups, pull ups, and squats, but I don't really need too now that I started my new job. It's physically demanding. Everyday is a workout.

I never focused so much on cardio, because running sucks and it's actually unhealthy. If you want bad knees by the time you're 50, you should probably get to running. The point of running is to maintain a healthy heart, and there are plenty of ways to do that without running. Doing any exercise will help your heart. For an example, let's take a look at me. The last time I ran was during my junior year of high school. I was forced to run a mile in gym class because teachers are ****ing sadists. I haven't ran since, but since I'm physically active, I've managed to maintain a healthy resting heart rate of 60 beats per minute.

Blog Entries
    Haha actually, the thing about runners having bad knees is a bit outdated. It can give your knees trouble if you're overweight, but the average healthy runner is strengthening the muscles around their knees.

Running and Your Knees

I find it meditative. It's not just for my heart, it is also for my sanity.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

LISTEN HERE!

I invented Go-Gurt. Workin' out brah!? Clint's Avatar
    While you have a point, the argument that running causes knee damage does hold merit. As the article stated, if you're overweight, and you're pounding the pavement, that could lead to damage. Overweight isn't an indication of obesity, though. Many athletes would be classified as overweight. I look at some wrestlers who are my height that weigh over 200 pounds. Normal weight for a man my height is 150 to 160, and while it isn't necessarily an indication that running causes knee damage, a lot of them do start to develop knee problems by their mid-40's.

Blog Entries
    Aight, fair enough.

Imma still do it, tho. **** knees.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

LISTEN HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by OceanEyes28 View Post
    ALSO THO, I record my sets and weights and crap on my phone while resting between sets, don't judge a phone by its cover?
    Thissss. I also take videos of my lifting form since all my babes who I trust are far away and people in the gym may or may not be stupid. I asked a guy to check my form on military presses, he had NO idea what it was, and then proceeded to say he could give me advice on it. Lol. Bruh.

But also, burgers burgers burgers burgers burgers.
    Last edited by Tifa; 09-27-2021 at 02:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'm very old school when it comes to lifting. I have all of my music on an iPod just so I don't have to worry about getting texts or calls, and can just lift. I used to record everything in a notebook, but I sweat so much that it became pointless.

Back in the day I maxed out my one time bench at 315. I'd consider myself lucky if I could bench 200 now. Working all over the place kills gains

Getting back into it though, but focusing on cardio and lost of running. I've always had pretty decent functional strength, just need to drop some pounds and gain running stamina. Ran 4 miles today at a cruising pace, and just plan on steadily decreasing my times.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

Death Before Dishonor Workin' out brah!? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I stay bulk throughout the entire year so if you want eating advice on that I got, but for what you are going for I wouldn't holler at me. As far as creatine goes for gaining muscle mass it works. I used to cycle creatine and can speak for it. As far as just getting started I don't recommend cycling it from the get go. Get your diet down, start working out and see how your body does without taking a creatine supplement. Later on if you decide to start on a creatine supplement I recommend reading up on how to cycle it. I would recommend getting yourself a good BCAA though. I have talked to a lot of guys who say that these are bullshit and you can get all your BCAA needs from a whey, but from experience it works man.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I have all of my music on an iPod just so I don't have to worry about getting texts or calls
    Airplane mode :)

Running is something I loveee doing everyday - it makes me feel my best. When u find wat works for You n keeps You motivated thats the most important thing bt changing up ur routine every now n again can benefit too. Boxing wud be my other fave form of cardio so I'll do a class or 2 or box with a friend or personal trainer every wk along with running n dancing.

When it comes to exercising outdoors, the beach is my favourite place. I run there most Sundays at sunrise with my dog when its relatively empty.
    I have a treadmill at home for convenience when I wanna do spontaneous short burst runs or dnt wanna go out but Im more focused n workout harder n longer at the gym than anywhere else.

chocolateer Workin' out brah!? 01habbo's Avatar
    I used to work out when I wasn't working. I used to go to Zumba once a week after my dad passed away with a few friends, was actually a life saver that helped me to work through my grief. Now I'm lucky if I get to go once a month due to how much I work. But due to how active my job is, I don't need it as much to stay healthy and fit.

I figure along as I eat right, then a few treats doesn't matter. I don't believe in diet that exclude all treats. I believe in everything in moderation. As long as I am sensible it's okay.

Also when it comes to workouts, it depends on what your goals are. If you are trying to get in shape and pack on muscle, then cheat days are not such a big deal. If you are trying to lose weight, then yes, cheat days will be a hindrance on you any way you look at it. Thing is some people have claimed that having a day where you eat whatever you like can shock your metabolism into overdrive since its getting used to eating clean foods all the time, but I find this stuff to be like a myth, in saying theres no real way to test if this actually works, let alone for everyone.

My goal is to just get stronger and then ill lean down, then ill just maintain it. Getting to the maintain stage is the place you wanna be cause it means you've reached your goal and you can half-ass everything and retain your strong, lean figure. But after all my years of training, I've not once wanted to just 'maintain' haha, I guess its like once you see what you are capable of attaining, you wont want to stop.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast