Thread: Do you guys feel that a Master's degree is worth it?

Do you guys feel that a Master's degree is worth it?

I'm in the process of applying to a master's program for a field that I really can't "specialize" in without a masters (Epidemiology); however, there are other ways I can obtain some of the basic skills required. For example, I am debating taking on an internship with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

I know this may be different for the peeps who live in various locations, but here in the states, it seems like a bachelor's degree is the new high school diploma.

If I'm accepted, I might have to choose between taking a really good job (as a safety or public health associate at Disney Parks and Resorts) or proceed with two more years of school to finish my master's. I could always do both, but I really wanted to just focus on my damn studies for once in my life.

What is your take? If you have a master's degree, do you feel it was worth it?
    Keep in mind, I have never pursued education with the ultimate goal of getting a job. Getting a job is easy; what I really enjoy about school is actually learning, gaining knowledge etc. I've always believed that if the knowledge and skills are obtained, the job will come naturally. This is the only real reason why I am leaning toward the Master's. I also don't want to look back and feel that I missed out on opportunities or wasted time as a result.

There are just many pros and cons to each that make the decision difficult.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

I invented Go-Gurt. Do you guys feel that a Master's degree is worth it? Clint's Avatar
    If you're passionate enough about a field to consider it, and you can afford it, then you should go for it. If it's what you want to do, then you should do it. I never did it because I didn't think it was worth going into debt over. I ended up getting my associate's, and then came to the conclusion that unaffordable education is bullshit, and I stopped there. Anything that you want to know, you can find ways to learn it for free. I'm not going to pay for a piece of paper that states my level of knowledge in a particular subject, just like how I'm not going to bring my birth certificate to the DMV to attempt to show them that I'm alive. It's just ridiculous. Why do they need proof that I'm alive? Is it not enough that I'm standing in front of them not being dead?

But I regress. Like I said, if you can afford it, and it's what you want to do, then do it. And don't ever let people like Matt Damon stand in your way. **** that guy for trying to oppress you.

#LOCKE4GOD Do you guys feel that a Master's degree is worth it? Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I got my master's degree in March. Depending on your field, you are right, a bachelor's degree is becoming the equivalent of passing high school. Here though, I think that's because they keep making it easier to pass high school more than anything else.

My decision was influenced by getting two scholarships, that more than covered my fees and also paid me living costs. Living is expensive though, and I also got into more (interest-free, government) debt to cover all of my expenses. Now that I'm working, being forced to pay 12% of my after-tax pay towards my (interest-free, government) debt is actually sharper than I imagined. If I had my time back, I would have borrowed much less while doing it.

If I hadn't got a scholarship, I probably would still have done it.

However in hindsight, I should have tried harder to look at alternatives. I pretty much work in software development now, but that was only a small proportion of my thesis. My employer doesn't care about my thesis at all, they only care about a subset of the skills I used to obtain it. I could have obtained the relevant skills in about 9 weeks of a software development bootcamp, and saved a lot of time and money. But I would also have deprived myself of a personal challenge, and an interesting pursuit of scientific discovery. In short: I'd be in a slightly better place financially, and I'd have been where I am sooner, but I'd probably have enjoyed it less and feel less satisfied.

With these types of decisions, you simply just have to accept that you're going in pretty blind. You can only make the best decision with the information that you have, and you have to be prepared for finding out later that it might not have been the best decision. You can't help that.

Sorry for not being helpful.

Sicc in the head & n0t sober. Do you guys feel that a Master's degree is worth it? noxious.sunshine's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I definitely think a Master's is pretty much necessary in this day and age.

The omportant thing to keep in mind is that you'll actually be able to land a job in your chosen career field after you graduate. I've seen soooo many people get degrees in various things and couldn't get a job in their chosen field to save their lives.

Blog Entries
    It really depends on what you are getting your masters in.

a lot of programs want you to go out after getting your 4year degree and get some years of experience before getting your masters otherwise youll end up overqualified and will have trouble landing a job without basic experience

its a good idea eventually but timing is everythign
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Gingersnap Do you guys feel that a Master's degree is worth it? OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ^Sure, this can be my reasoning for why I'm just now looking at grad school haha.

People will pay you as little as they can get away with, even if they like you. Well, here in the States.

Overall, I'm glad that I have several years of work experience, and I'm glad that I waited before pursuing more education. Five years ago, when I graduated with a bachelor's, I had no idea what I would want to study at a graduate level. I would have likely wasted time and money. Now, I have a clearer focus and more experience to inform my decision. However, I do feel behind, and I don't make as much money as I had hoped to make at this point in my life.

Going back to school can be expensive and more difficult the older you get. I'm glad to have my experience, but for years, I have thought going back to school would be nice if only I had the money/support. It's looking like the stars are lining up so that I have those things now, so I'm going to go for it while I can.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

Boxer of the Galaxy Do you guys feel that a Master's degree is worth it? Rowan's Avatar
    I think a masters degree is like going for a platinum trophy in a PS title. If its a game that means a lot to you and you want to show off your proficiency, go for it. If you are the kind of person who believes their profession defines who they are, then go for it. Theres nothing wrong with furthering education and knowledge in your field of expertise.

I say for go for it, and best of luck!

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Do you guys feel that a Master's degree is worth it? Polk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    I think a masters degree is like going for a platinum trophy in a PS title. If its a game that means a lot to you and you want to show off your proficiency, go for it. If you are the kind of person who believes their profession defines who they are, then go for it. Theres nothing wrong with furthering education and knowledge in your field of expertise.

I say for go for it, and best of luck!
    I spent 8 ****ing hours grinding pure bladestone in Demon's souls for the platinum trophy in that game.

If that's your measure of whether or not it's worth it, then no, it's not.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.