Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Workin' out brah!?

Gingersnap Workin' out brah!? OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    YEAH like WHAT was THAT? They were all, "u r more powerful than goku, u have surpassed ur father, this has been building since the first episode of dbz," and then he grows up to be doofy AF. I know Goku is goofy and also powerful, so why not Gohan, but I feel the saltiness. I feel it.

Also! I saw the first couple episodes of DB Super and.... did they change Videl? Is she still cool? She seemed a little toned down and way less of a badass, and that was a bummer.

UM ANYWAY WORKING OUT.

I have the ugliest toes since I started working on distance and running volume. It started because I was running in shoes that were too small (that size used to fit me...), tried larger ones, yay great, but my toes never stopped looking ****ed up.

And the hand calluses from deadlifting! I have finger calluses from guitar and palm calluses from the bar and sometimes they peel.

So that's my life now.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

Bananarama Workin' out brah!? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ally, if you were to use any type of Dragonball as motivation, it would take anyone 4 hours to run half a mile, with intense flashbacks to training to train.

Also, calluses, blisters and scars build character. It signifies that you do something with your life. Take pride in them, even if you're grossed out by them.

On a side note, my right knee makes a crunchy sound when I fully extend and retract it now. GNC for glucosamine and chondroitin tomorrow
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Blog Entries
    My knees have always been crunchy. :3

I don't know if grossed out is the word as much as fascinated and amused. The number of times I've told Caleb to "look at my TOES"......
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

LISTEN HERE!

Boxer of the Galaxy Workin' out brah!? Rowan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanEyes28 View Post
    YEAH like WHAT was THAT? They were all, "u r more powerful than goku, u have surpassed ur father, this has been building since the first episode of dbz," and then he grows up to be doofy AF. I know Goku is goofy and also powerful, so why not Gohan, but I feel the saltiness. I feel it.

Also! I saw the first couple episodes of DB Super and.... did they change Videl? Is she still cool? She seemed a little toned down and way less of a badass, and that was a bummer.

UM ANYWAY WORKING OUT.

I have the ugliest toes since I started working on distance and running volume. It started because I was running in shoes that were too small (that size used to fit me...), tried larger ones, yay great, but my toes never stopped looking ****ed up.

And the hand calluses from deadlifting! I have finger calluses from guitar and palm calluses from the bar and sometimes they peel.

So that's my life now.
    Videl was moer angsty as a teenager, especially living in her fathers shadow. I liked that spice about her, but I suppose as both herself and gohan grew older their priorities changed and they lived the life they always wanted too after the evil had subsided. I suppose chi-chi's influence on Gohan becomes apparant in future episodes because he prefers to study than actually fight, especially since he never liked fighting to begin with. If you remember he was pretty much forced to fight from the age of 4 and was basically left to survive from the age of 7 piccolo in the wilderness. He had a pretty shitty life. Same could be said about Videl. Im glad he settled down with the muffinest of cuties, they deserve each other.

As for calluses etc, wear gloves. I wear gloves. If anyone says anything like "oh bitch mittens blahblah" before pointing out that I lift more than them, I mention that Ronnie Coleman wears gloves. Tell 'em to get rekt.

Queen Workin' out brah!? Crescent's Avatar
    Haha I usually wear one of my billion shitty 5k T-shirts to work out in. Unless it's a long run day when it's hot, and then I use one of my special tech shirts. ooo

I meeaaan tempeh is not THE BEST, but I just stir fried it in some soy sauce and then put it in a container to eat with other things. Like I put it in a burrito with some vegetarian refried beans for dinner and that was pretty good.

Mostly I've been putting it in burritos.

I haven't watched the DBZ movies yet but I want to. I feel weird about it, but I have always preferred Vegeta/Bulma to Goku/Chi-chi. Goku is the worst husband. Vegeta isn't husband of the year, but at least Bulma has a little bit of clout with him, whereas Chi-chi is made to look hysterical constantly just for wanting to know wtf is going on with her kid and Goku's all "lol stfu chi-chi we don't even like each other except for when it was time to get you pregnant with Goten." Am I nuts? I ALWAYS FEEL SO BAD for Chi-chi.
    Haha so long as we gets our workout done right x)

In a burrito sounds perfect. Normally I wud throw it in with a whole lotta vegetables n *sweet soy sauce with basmati rice n hope that it complements wat Id usually hav in my stir fry well. Oh n with avocado #yum

Bulma on her own gets on my nerves sumtimes (esp in DB) bt I LOVE her with Vegeta, one of my favourite couples in anime which is saying a lot. I just plain love Vegeta. He's the best shit talker lol

"SERVANT WOMAN!! Bring me a drying cloth at once!

Yelled that to my mum once jkingly bt I still got backhanded lmao #worthit

Quote Originally Posted by Crescent View Post
    "SERVANT WOMAN!! Bring me a drying cloth at once!
    Bulma gets him back tho for that comment.

Goku is a dick lol

You don't need to wear gloves if you take care of your hands and grip properly. I originally had some pretty bad callouses. My hands have some now but they're mostly flat and smooth. I don't even moisturize or shave them down. Also, re: grip - http://stronglifts.com/wp-content/up...dlift-grip.jpg this fixed the issue for me by a lot. It's a little harder gripping heavier weights if you're trying to push it but that's just a sign you gotta work on grip strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    You don't need to wear gloves if you take care of your hands and grip properly. I originally had some pretty bad callouses. My hands have some now but they're mostly flat and smooth. I don't even moisturize or shave them down. Also, re: grip - http://stronglifts.com/wp-content/up...dlift-grip.jpg this fixed the issue for me by a lot. It's a little harder gripping heavier weights if you're trying to push it but that's just a sign you gotta work on grip strength.

Okay, and? You can wear gloves if you want to but most people wear them to avoid callouses or having gross hands. Your hands won't be gross if you take care of them.

Blog Entries
    I like to touch people with my gross hands.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

LISTEN HERE!

Blog Entries
    Ally, next time we meet, and we will, we will shake grossly calloused hands. And then you'll get another two armed hug. And I'll try not to be belligerently drunk, but no promises. Tiff, you're also welcome.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Okay, and? You can wear gloves if you want to but most people wear them to avoid callouses or having gross hands. Your hands won't be gross if you take care of them.
    You will still get calluses no matter how you grip, they are unavoidable. Hell, I get calusses even wearing gloves!

So my friend invited me to one of her martial arts classes last night, Wing Chun Kung Fu to be exact. It was more about technique, stance n finding/holding ur center etc rather than a show of strength. Punching n kicking ur opponent with the correct technique, form all those things. That was my first lesson n it highlighted the fact that I have trouble relaxing my body. Might've got the technique down pat quicker had my teacher been Seijuro Hiko hehe. Im going again on saturday xD

I did walk away with an injury of sorts, no callouses or nything just a stiff neck.

The British Guy. Workin' out brah!? Robbo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm thinking of moving Gyms to one with more equipment and that costs less, however my Gym buddy is fighting the move :-( he's a creature of habit.

Also I wear a mixture of super hero t-shirts to the gym or a Luigi t-shirt 'cause i'm such a Beta male or a Paddy's Pub t-shirt that no one understands in England but I love.
    CPC8... Makin' it happen

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin
    Ruin says
    someone fart in my eye
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Elder
    Melibooyah says:
    Uggh bbl everyone is blowing me uo and I have to do my homework -_-
    Typo's change everything ^

Ive been thinking of switching gyms to a 24hr one which I have done in the past but the one Im currently with has the best facilities.. N a pool.

Am on my way to the gym now at fkng 4. Its always worth it in the end tho.

Blog Entries
    Ran the Tunnel to Towers run yesterday. It was a 5K that I've never done before, but would absolutely do again every year. I've done them in the past, and they're usually pretty whatever, but this was something special to me, both as a New Yorker and as an American. It was in honor of a firefighter that ran through the Battery Tunnel from Brooklyn to Manhattan, in full bunker gear, to run to the twin towers on 9-11.

It was incredibly powerful to go running into the hot and humid tunnel with thousands of other people, some chanting USA USA, only to emerge from the tunnel with the new tower in sight, and firefighters lining the tunnel exit, holding giant pictures of their fallen brothers. Even if you're feeling winded, you still just want to push on and just keep running, because it's so surreal and emotional.

I did it in just under 40 minutes, because of the human logjam at the beginning and having to weave and bob between walkers and people who don't pull off to the side to cool down. I figure my adjusted time would be between 35-37 minutes, because that's what I paced on the treadmill on friday
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

Blog Entries
    @Pete
    Dude that's impressive well done bro and also sounds really ****ing cool.

Since my last post here I got 2 Jobs and am holding them down pretty decently I'm a Dispensing assistant in a Pharmacy and a Cashier in a shop. I also got a gym bro who I call 'Boss' because he's being going to Gyms for 20+ years, I just do what he tells me to seeing as I noticed a lot of similarities in our workouts apart from arms but it's cool. Diet has gotten lots better eating Chicken Salad for dinner most days trying to avoid carbs and eat a lot of protein, and as soon as I get paid it's going to Optimum though XD

I also added a 10 minute flat out run instead of Interval Cycling and now after my workouts I have to sit and just breathe and wait to cool off, my skin gets red everywhere also, i didn't know knees could go red from just running but i'm not in very good shape. Also Gym Boss pointed something out to me I did that's pretty dangerous and just thought I'd post it here so people can keep an eye out for it. When I start to struggle with weight I'm lifting i'll hold my breath which obviously is dumb as **** because eventually when I'm on bigger weights i'm probably gonna pass out, Anyone else got any bad habits to look out for?
    CPC8... Makin' it happen

Ruin says
    someone fart in my eye
    Melibooyah says:

Blog Entries
    Robbo, you always want to exhale as you're pushing a weight up or pulling one, and inhale as the weight stack is going down.

Also, when running, I've been trying to alternate my breathing, with a 3 step inhale, 2 step exhale pattern. It's worked so far as side cramps are way down

~ AUTO-MERGED POSTS ~

Robbo, you always want to exhale as you're pushing a weight up or pulling one, and inhale as the weight stack is going down.

Also, when running, I've been trying to alternate my breathing, with a 3 step inhale, 2 step exhale pattern. It's worked so far as side cramps are way down because I'm not constantly landing and exhaling on the same side.

And the reasons why I did the run
    20150927_104732.jpg
    lady_liberty_towers.jpg
    For the future and the fallen.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

Blog Entries
    Ran a 5k race this morning!

It was just a little local one, benefiting one of the local food banks for hungry kiddos.

I started out running next to someone who I thought looked faster and more experienced than me (book, cover, I know) and thought, "aw yeah I'll pace with this person for a while, gonna be great." Got through the first mile and my GPS let me know that my pace was a full 45 seconds slower than I wanted it to be.

Shit!

So I took off and left my mile one buddy behind. Because of my slow first mile, I didn't meat my goal of beating my old PR, but I did get 2nd place in my age group. Got a medal, which was nice.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

LISTEN HERE!

Aside from my usual run this morning, I'll count swimming and running around throwing seaweed at my friends at the beach today a refreshing fun bonus workout hehe. Best weather we've had in Sydney for a long time. N I may have listened to this while sunbathing.

Hit 205 on deadlifts a week ago! Two-repping my previous 1rm for bench and squat too. Hoping to hit 225 dead 200 squat and 120(?????) bench by year end. Happened to internet my way into a consistent lifting buddy (also ????) so should be getting significantly stronger since they're helping me with more isolation work.

Looking like I can potentially be competitive next year if I can make a meet :>

Blog Entries
    OH MY GOD THAT IS AWESOME. You sexy sexy beast woman.

Sort of fitness related.... I'm transitioning.

....to a plant-based diet. After 3 or 4 years of being pescetarian (vegetarian + occasional fish), I'm dropping the dairy and eggs and fish (though it will take a while to get used to avoiding all animal additives, which is why I'm saying it's a transitional thing). I like it so far. Once I dropped dairy, within a week, my skin looked crazy good (no more breakouts). It's been about two weeks into the transition, and it's surprisingly easy. Cheese was an obstacle and a logical inconsistency that I ignored for years, so it has actually felt good to get past that, and I'm having fun looking for alternatives (nut cheese lolol). Cowspiracy and the resulting reading/research I did finally pushed me over the edge. It's a documentary about the environmental impact of animal agriculture, and if the suffering of farmed animals doesn't affect you, the climate change aspect probably will (or should?).

My biggest obstacle has been tempering my excitement so that I don't overshare and seem "preachy." Even though I do think the planet would greatly benefit from everyone eating less meat. ANYWAY.

Let the hate (and worrying about muh proteins) begin.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

LISTEN HERE!

Let the hate (and worrying about muh proteins) begin.
    Your goal isnt to build muscle, is it? Then it wont matter that much. But lets be honest, there are some important acids/fats and proteins that you cannot consume on such a diet. You can eat yo Spirulina, but its low tier protein. I guess you do what you can with what you got, should be fine. I was even thinking of going vegetarian during my weight loss period (vegan, even with the exception of my protein shake.)

OH MY GOD THAT IS AWESOME. You sexy sexy beast woman.

Sort of fitness related.... I'm transitioning.

....to a plant-based diet. After 3 or 4 years of being pescetarian (vegetarian + occasional fish), I'm dropping the dairy and eggs and fish (though it will take a while to get used to avoiding all animal additives, which is why I'm saying it's a transitional thing). I like it so far. Once I dropped dairy, within a week, my skin looked crazy good (no more breakouts). It's been about two weeks into the transition, and it's surprisingly easy. Cheese was an obstacle and a logical inconsistency that I ignored for years, so it has actually felt good to get past that, and I'm having fun looking for alternatives (nut cheese lolol). Cowspiracy and the resulting reading/research I did finally pushed me over the edge. It's a documentary about the environmental impact of animal agriculture, and if the suffering of farmed animals doesn't affect you, the climate change aspect probably will (or should?).

My biggest obstacle has been tempering my excitement so that I don't overshare and seem "preachy." Even though I do think the planet would greatly benefit from everyone eating less meat. ANYWAY.

Let the hate (and worrying about muh proteins) begin. ;)
    This makes me so happy :))

I went vegan for ethical reasons bt the health benefits (both physical n mental) have been a huge bonus. I have so much energy on this lifestyle/diet. If you have time for a bit more research this presentation is one of my absolute favourites. Its an easy watch and non-confrontational. Kinda hav a huge crush on the speaker too xD Just curious do u intend on watching more documentaries (Earthlings, Forks over Knives, Blackfish etc)? I find that when ppl go vegan (or plant based) for the ethics its very easy to stick to but when it's about yourself and/or health you end up slipping and bingeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Your goal isnt to build muscle, is it? Then it wont matter that much. But lets be honest, there are some important acids/fats and proteins that you cannot consume on such a diet. You can eat yo Spirulina, but its low tier protein. I guess you do what you can with what you got, should be fine. I was even thinking of going vegetarian during my weight loss period (vegan, even with the exception of my protein shake.)

I've followed this guy for a while. He's a vegan bodybuilder. If your still open-minded check out his channel n ask him questions. I really enjoy watching his abs arms body vlogs.

EDIT: Also just got back from a morning gym sesh -1hr-ish running on the treadmill, 1/2 hr kickboxing, 15-20 mins resistance n stretching. Diet-wise Ive been drinking alot of my foods (fruit vege smoothies) cause its been so hot the last few days with the odd shower here n there #bipolarweather Im sick of it.

Blog Entries
    Oh, it's totally for the ethical reasons, too. I just needed it hammered into my head again that eating dairy supports the industry that I am against, all cows are killed too early, mothers have their babies taken away and mourn their loss, etc. I've watched Forks Over Knives, but I sort of feel like if I've already made the switch, I can spare myself Earthlings. My heart aches just reading about that stuff.

And of course, now that I have a pet pig, it's even more personal. That bitch is my baby girl.

But I have noticed that people are more receptive to reasons concerning climate change and the environment, because it's often new information for them, and they don't feel like I'm saying they're a bad person when I talk about it that way (even though I'm not saying they're a bad person when I talk about it the other way, but ehh).

I got a coworker interested in my diet today, once she found out I don't eat meat. I'm the fittest person in our little office, and she's wanting to lose weight. So I got to talk about it without feeling annoying lol.

And Rowan, I'm not necessarily trying to put on a lot of mass, but I yes, I am putting on muscle. Since my primary focus is running at the moment, I'm trying to cut a bit of weight in preparation for a few half marathons next year. But I still want to maintain muscle and my lifting as best I can. But no worries, I got dem veggie protein sources, and I track my calories/macros pretty carefully these days. And there are vegan athletes and body builders, so I ain't worried.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

LISTEN HERE!

Blog Entries
    I know you all are like a level above this with insight and stuff, but if anyone is looking for a great gym song to get motivated, I find this song hilarious and it gets me amped as shit when lifting/running:

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Blog Entries
    I've lost 1 and a half stone (21 pounds, I think i'm not a mathematician)
    I've noticed gains all over although I still feel like my arms are lacking and strangely one trap seems longer than the other.
    I got let go from my cashier Job because of availibility issues but I got those hours and more covered by the Pharmacy at a higher rate of pay, I got the 20Kg above my head on shoulders and Chest incline. I'm learning a loads about medicine and fitness ^^.

Also I've had to settle for a Smith machine because my Gym is benchless but I can only Move 30KG properly which is suprising because I have a pretty big frame, Any tips for moving the weight I want to?

Oh and I've ran out of creatine for a week or 2 so we'll see how that goes.
    CPC8... Makin' it happen

Ruin says
    someone fart in my eye
    Melibooyah says:

Benching 30kg seems really strange. I would generally avoid anything to do with the smith machine. Is there a squat rack at least? I know for my gym, before we got the bench rack, there was no issue setting up to bench in the squat rack.

But you should definitely be moving more than that if you're doing 20kg on military presses and incline benches. My friend has been working with me on a lot of isolation stuff and they've been telling me I need to focus a lot more on triceps (in particular) and shoulders (since mine are weak) to get my numbers up.

Could also maybe be bad form? Especially if you're not stable enough.
    Last edited by Tifa; 10-18-2015 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    I've lost 1 and a half stone (21 pounds, I think i'm not a mathematician)
    I've noticed gains all over although I still feel like my arms are lacking and strangely one trap seems longer than the other.
    I got let go from my cashier Job because of availibility issues but I got those hours and more covered by the Pharmacy at a higher rate of pay, I got the 20Kg above my head on shoulders and Chest incline. I'm learning a loads about medicine and fitness ^^.

Also I've had to settle for a Smith machine because my Gym is benchless but I can only Move 30KG properly which is suprising because I have a pretty big frame, Any tips for moving the weight I want to?

Oh and I've ran out of creatine for a week or 2 so we'll see how that goes.
    you using olympic bars? Cause they are 20kg's. You should ALWAYS factor in the weight of the bar because at the end of the day, it coutns towards how much you are lifting and 20kg bar is 20kg.

I just got a feeling you not including the weight of the bar.

I do sets with 60kg, but have upped it to 80kg recently to push my limits. I could probably do 1 rep 100kg, but im not interested in 1 rep max, high chance of failure/injury.

^ smith machine bars are different from olympic bars because it's supported. Everything I've read and everyone I've asked basically don't count that weight, or considers it too minimal to consider.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast