Thread: Who wants to join the service?

I will finish the hunt Who wants to join the service? Cheesevixen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Who wants to join the service?

So first off; I have nothing against people who serve in the military. I am not so much for war, (than again....who is?)but I back the brave soldiers who put their lives on the line to protect our country.

I went to have lunch with my husband today, and he decided to drop a bomb on me. You see; his best friend and brother are joining the military. Now he wants to. I've heard a lot of horror stories. Does anybody here have the insider info?
    "Some men just want to watch the world burn"

Shake it like a polaroid picture Who wants to join the service? RagnaToad's Avatar
    You should definitely talk to Sasquatch about this. He's a soldier(/veteran?) and was sent to Iraq twice.

Personally, I don't think two friends joining the army is a good reason to join yourself. I believe chances of him actually going to battle aren't that high, but nontheless, he's got a young child to take care of.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

Blog Entries
    oh crap you just reminded me not every knows my situation.

We just got married in April, and we have two kids. One was just born August 31st. this year, and the other is 3. We've been together 2 years.

Govinda
    I'd say Sasquatch is your go-to guy on this one. My brother's joining up soon; I can't put into words how against it I am, not because I have anything against the military (my mother's side of the family were/are all Army, she used to write code for the Ministry of Defence too) but because he's my little ****ing brother and I don't want him to see the things that soldiers see. He'll never be old enough in my eyes. I know I can't stop him, but it's really tearing me to bits.

Is your husband thinking of doing it for the money and training? Or for another reason?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Govinda View Post

Is your husband thinking of doing it for the money and training? Or for another reason?
    The money. He's had the same job for 3 years now, but it's moving 3 hours away. We can't see ourselves moving that far from our families. However, now that he has a chance to switch careers.....this whole military thing has popped back into his head. I say that because he was going to join about 5 years ago, but he ended up moving around and doing other things. Now he is more serious about it.

I am just as scared about something happening. I finally find a man that I can see myself growing old with, and he wants to go join the military. Long nights, and constant moving. IDK if I could handle that. Even though he may not be stationed anywhere near combat....there is always a chance he later will be.

I hope your brother knows what he's doing as well. It's hard to see your loved ones do things you know might get them hurt, but than agian you can get hurt anywhere these days.

I'm DYING to see you! Who wants to join the service? ViviMasterMage's Avatar
    Cheesevixen, it's weird how you mention this because we had a assembly in school about people serving in Iraq. I have to say that the assembly was mostly about remembrance day and how we should always remember it, as well as talking about current work going on in Iraq.

We talked about Craig. (Craig is a local boy that came to the school 3-4 years ago) He was sent to Iraq last year and we sent some stuff off to him like magazines and other little supplies. He was with his squad and out of the 30 of them, I heard that 8 died. Craig was just injured by a IED.

I don't want to worry you and I can't say I trust the school, I mean I can't see a school not being biased. They told us that 1/4 people get injured but I don't think it's true. All I can say is try getting him off the subject, I see that he wants to fight for his country and earn money for you and your children but if that fraction is true and it is 25% of people then he isn't doing the best for you and the children at all.

I know that I sound like a idiot seeing as I haven't got life skills and I don't fully understand the situation and the age I am, but this is a subject that kind of touched me and I feel for you.

My things:

My TFF Family!:
    My very hyper moogle loving cousin Meigumi!
    My grammar obsessive twin AWESOME brother Fate!
    My powerful, dangerous, short tempered younger brother Alther!
    My badassly cool chaos-loving lord who adores big swords and uber spells, Elyon Demidias
    My awesomely cool big brother xXCloudXx
    "The Bestest Buddy" xTidus (Aka Casey)
    My Okami-playing, Sephiroth-fangirl American cousin Dodie16
    My brother and stealthy swordsman of poetic power genome's blade
    My brother from another mother Gilgameshed_Up

My Fatey!:

Quote Originally Posted by Meigumi
    ....... I was reaaally hoping you'd say something else, but whatever! HEY, EVERYONE! WE'RE HAVING A CONVERSATION! 8D
    Fate's beautiful haiku:
    Lost in reverie
    Memories drifting through me
    So calm like the sea

Shake it like a polaroid picture Who wants to join the service? RagnaToad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesevixen View Post
    the other is 3. We've been together 2 years.
    Are you sure you got the numbers right?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RagnaToad View Post
    Are you sure you got the numbers right?

My son was born 2-14-2006; so yes he will be 4 in a few months, but is technicly 3 right now. :-)

My daughter was born 8-31-2009 so she is 3 months old as of today.

We have been together since 2-12-2008 which makes it a full 2 years as of next years February.

Married 4-20-2009....was supposed to be 4-20-2010, but we moved it up a year. I found out I was preggo like two weeks after he proposed, and I didn't know if I was going to be able to lose all the weight this time so we got married before I got too fat.......I lost all the weight though LOL Just felt like sticking this tid bit in there.......lol

I think thats right???

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesevixen View Post
    My son was born 2-14-2006; so yes he will be 4 in a few months, but is technicly 3 right now. :-)

My daughter was born 8-31-2009 so she is 3 months old as of today.

We have been together since 2-12-2008 which makes it a full 2 years as of next years February.

Married 4-20-2009....was supposed to be 4-20-2010, but we moved it up a year. I found out I was preggo like two weeks after he proposed, and I didn't know if I was going to be able to lose all the weight this time so we got married before I got too fat.......I lost all the weight though LOL Just felt like sticking this tid bit in there.......lol

I think thats right???
    Is the son his? Because I'm not sure if I understand correctly. You had a son 2 years before you started seeing your current husband?

Sorry if I'm being indiscrete. You should feel flattered that your personal life is so interesting to me.
    Last edited by RagnaToad; 12-01-2009 at 05:57 PM.

Death Before Dishonor Who wants to join the service? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The military is great, I joined the marine's in June. I have yet to be deployed, but come April 3rd I start my one year of active duty in Iraq. So far the military has been great to me, my school is paid for, my bills, everthing.

I have talked to multiple vet's, and they all say the same thing. They all say the military is the best thing they have ever done. Cheesevixen if you rhusband was to join the military whatever branch that may be, he will receive education to help him better his life, and that of his family.

I will admit I am terrified of going to Iraq, but it is something I have to do. No matter what happens over there I will not have any regret's, because I know the reason's I choose this life...

Semper Fi....

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

I'm DYING to see you! Who wants to join the service? ViviMasterMage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisuke View Post
    Semper Fi....
    If you're using this phrase then you're going into the Marines right? This phrase means "Always Faithful" and its mainly used by the USMC.

My things:

My TFF Family!:
    My very hyper moogle loving cousin Meigumi!
    My grammar obsessive twin AWESOME brother Fate!
    My powerful, dangerous, short tempered younger brother Alther!
    My badassly cool chaos-loving lord who adores big swords and uber spells, Elyon Demidias
    My awesomely cool big brother xXCloudXx
    "The Bestest Buddy" xTidus (Aka Casey)
    My Okami-playing, Sephiroth-fangirl American cousin Dodie16
    My brother and stealthy swordsman of poetic power genome's blade
    My brother from another mother Gilgameshed_Up

My Fatey!:

Quote Originally Posted by Meigumi
    ....... I was reaaally hoping you'd say something else, but whatever! HEY, EVERYONE! WE'RE HAVING A CONVERSATION! 8D
    Fate's beautiful haiku:
    Lost in reverie
    Memories drifting through me
    So calm like the sea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RagnaToad View Post
    Is the son his? Because I'm not sure if I understand correctly. You had a son 2 years before you started seeing your current husband?

Sorry if I'm being indiscrete. You should feel flattered that your personal life is so interesting to me.
    No, I had my son almost exactly two years before I met my husband. Our anniversary is 2 days before my son's birthday. I was officially single when my son was about 6 months old I think........maybe 9?

#LOCKE4GOD Who wants to join the service? Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisuke View Post
    The military is great, I joined the marine's in June. I have yet to be deployed, but come April 3rd I start my one year of active duty in Iraq. So far the military has been great to me, my school is paid for, my bills, everthing.

I have talked to multiple vet's, and they all say the same thing. They all say the military is the best thing they have ever done. Cheesevixen if you rhusband was to join the military whatever branch that may be, he will receive education to help him better his life, and that of his family.

I will admit I am terrified of going to Iraq, but it is something I have to do. No matter what happens over there I will not have any regret's, because I know the reason's I choose this life...

Semper Fi....
    I have nothing against individual servicemen and women, but against militaries in general, yes.

Considering the line in bold; in the words of System of a Down, "why do they always send the poor?"

The military is a way to a better life for many individuals; as Kisuke says, they provide great incentives. Too bad their job just divides humanity. All gudz.

Go with me, Exkaizer~ Who wants to join the service? Treize's Avatar
    This thread has come at a weird time because I just joined the military. I think that there are a lot of misconceptions about the military, especially about horrible war stories. From what I've heard and seen, these incidents are much better than they have been in the past. Now a days there is better treatment and your chances of dying in a war aren't that great. Sure, it can still happen, but it is nothing like what it has been. I think that casualties have been exaggerated to make it seem like it is worse than what it has been.

Also, not everyone in the military is sent over to Iraq or Afghanistan. It really depends on what you sign up to do in the military or even just what branch you sign up to. I'm sure a higher percentage of people in the army and the marines go to Iraq or Afghanistan than say someone who joins the Navy or the Coast Guard. If you want to join the military, but don't want to go to the war, there are ways that that can happen.

The benefits are also pretty good. It is pretty nice to get your entire school paid for plus extra money to live off of. Even when you're in, everything is paid for and you get extra money to support your family, or whatever you have to do. I know that it is nice for me since I'm graduating highschool. First I'm getting paid to attend school for a year to a year and a half, and then when I get out of the military, I get my university paid for plus extra money to live off of.

The military isn't for everyone, but I think it could be a good option for a lot of people.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

Registered User Who wants to join the service?
    I thought about joining the military, but I didn't think that I was cut out for such a thing. I can barely do two push-ups without getting tired... I can run for miles, but I have very poor upper body strength. Also, if a drill sargeant got in my face and yelled at me, I would probably cry...

My older brother is in the Air Force and has been in for about seven years. He enjoys it and says that the Air Force is indeed the best branch to join since the quality of life is much higher on the base than in other branches. However, he may just be a bit biased in that statement, since he IS in the Air Force!
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Go with me, Exkaizer~ Who wants to join the service? Treize's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodie16 View Post
    My older brother is in the Air Force and has been in for about seven years. He enjoys it and says that the Air Force is indeed the best branch to join since the quality of life is much higher on the base than in other branches. However, he may just be a bit biased in that statement, since he IS in the Air Force!
    Actually I've heard the same thing even from people who served in different branches besides the Air Force. Because of this, I initially wanted to join the Air Force, but I could not contact a recruiter. =( I ended up joining the Army, but for what I want to do, it doesn't make much of a difference because it is the same for all the branches.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

Che
    Read the fine print when you sign up for that shit. I know some buddies who signed up and it's not exactly what they thought.

You pretty much gotta know what you're getting into, does he?

The military is cool if you're on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Che View Post
    Read the fine print when you sign up for that shit. I know some buddies who signed up and it's not exactly what they thought.
    This pretty much sums it up. I wouldn't go joining the forces if you're not 100% about it, it sounds like he's just joining because his friend and brother is. To be honest, if i had a family, or even just a long term girlfriend, I probably wouldn't join the forces.

As for the horror stories thing, i'd imagine most of them are just made up. That was what happened here, all the people in the forces just made shit up to scare new recruits etc, it even happened in the different stages of training... people who were more advanced in their training made it sound a lot harder/more of a pain in the ass than it actually was.

Nothing for you to worry about Vixen, hasnt been a war in over 50 years.

Your husband is safe as houses unless he is subject to friendly fire.