Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where Were You?

Bananarama Where Were You? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Where Were You?

Simply put, where were you nine years ago today?

If you need to ask, don't post.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Blog Entries

Re: Where Were You?

I was on my way to school on the bus. Some kids were like, "Some small country just attacked the US. We're gonna kick their ass!" I had no idea what they were talking about; I hadn't seen the news that morning. School went on mostly as usual that day, until the last period, when our drama teacher actually talked about it, and then I went home and actually saw the footage, at which point it sunk what had happened. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Death Before Dishonor Where Were You? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was sitting in my class. I had gotten there early that day. We were watching the news and it was on there.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Registered User Where Were You?

I didn't hear about what had happened until I got to my first class. When I got there, I overheard some of the students talking about how the first plane crashed into one of the towers. When the teacher got to the classroom, he immediately switched on the news. We sat and watched everything that was being reported. No one said much of anything during that whole time.

It was like that for pretty much all my classes throughout the day.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Gingersnap Where Were You? OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries

8th grade in my home room. We were still sitting around chatting when my teacher walked in and quieted us down. He told us what had happened ("The World Trade Center has been attacked and destroyed"), and then told us (the 8th grade class - small school) not to tell anyone in the grades below us. They didn't want it treated like gossip, I guess, or kids freaking out. My brother was in 6th grade at the time. I didn't tell him, but I wanted to. I still remember the walk to the park across the street for recess, everyone in their lines, thinking, "How am I supposed to keep such a huge secret?"

I can't remember when my mom came to get us (it was after lunch, which was had in whispers), but she checked us out early, because I remember going to get a drink of water and saw her walking down the hallway to come get me. When I got home, the TV was on and I saw the footage for the first time. It was eerie. And about then was when the implications of what had happened sunk in for me.

I can't imagine what it must have been like for the people of New York.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by Allie
    8th grade in my home room.
    Ditto that. I can't remember what subject we were in the middle of, or if we had even made it to actual class before my teacher said what had happened. At the time, it wasn't certain yet whether or not it was an accident, so we were just kind of ho-hum about the news. Plus, how many of my class mates even knew what the World Trade Center was? That's not common knowledge for 13 year olds in Winnipeg. I remember thinking that it was something tied to the world economy, like the World Bank or something. When I got home, I watched CNN for a few hours and found I couldn't sleep for a bit. I'm not sure why, I couldn't possibly have the same emotional connection to the events as an American, particularly those around New York, but all the same, it was pretty jarring.

Until now!

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Where Were You? Polk's Avatar

7th grade math class when I found out, can't remember where I would have been when it happened. I remember my teacher acting really weird, then breaking the news to us. I was confused until I got home from school that day and watched the news, then I understood.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

I invented Go-Gurt. Where Were You? Clint's Avatar

I was sitting in my sixth grade math class, procrastinating/cheating on my work as usual. The teacher kept going in and out of the class; back and fourth to and from the teacher's lounge. My best guess is that that's where the TV was. Somebody asked her what was wrong, and she replied by saying that "Something has happened, but we aren't in any sort of danger." Then people started getting pulled out of school by the dozens, which was weird and completely contradictory to her previous statement. I had no idea what this "something" that was happening was until school let out early, at around 1 pm. The rest of that day is actually kind of a blur. The only other thing I remember is watering the garden and finding it eerie that the usually busy flight paths above the house had nothing flying through them.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Where Were You? Xanatos's Avatar

I was sleeping when my brother wake me up, you need to see this he said. I followed him to the living room, and there was it, on TV, at first I didn't know what the hell was going on, until he explained the whole situation.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Blog Entries

I was a freshman in high school and in gym class. We had all changed clothes and everything when one of the gym teachers came out and had us all sit down on the small bleachers at the back. He handed us all notices that the school had literally just printed and he explained that the World Trade Center had been attacked. It was all still going on when I found out, as far as I recall, though I believe at least one tower had probably fallen by that point. I don't remember if my gym class was second or third period but it was early. I do remember that we didn't go outside for class that day.

I remember feeling rather numb about it all. I also remember how quiet everyone was. The halls were nearly silent all day, it was so surreal. All you heard were the bells. I don't think I really understood the magnitude of it all, not right away.

When I got to English class my teacher told us how he'd been watching the news that morning when it all happened. When the towers fell he had to turn away, he just couldn't watch it. He said they fell and then even the reporters were silent. No one had the words. There were none, really.

Then coming home and turning on the TV to the news, which I don't think changed channels for about a week after it happened. I actually remember coming on here and talking about it and everyone updating with news as it came in. I hadn't even been here a month at the time. Seems like so long ago and yesterday at the same time.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Crash Boom Bang Where Were You? Lily's Avatar

I was in work, my supervisor came back off her dinner and was like, a planes hit the world trade centre, it's all over the news Im like. oh right. whats the world trade centre? (I know I know...)

Didnt really hear the full extent of it til getting home after work

I was in the 7th grade. Sleeping. I woke up and my mom tells me the twin towers had 2 planes crash into them. At the time I didn't know what the World Trade Center was. At school everyone pretty much was talking about it, having it on TV.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Registered User Where Were You? kupo's Avatar

ya'll are making me feel old....
    i was in geography class my soph. year of high school. our teacher had just passed out a test when another teacher (a fairly large guy) ran into our class and told us what had just happened. we had a tv in our room and about, literally, 2 minutes after we turned it on we saw the 2nd plane hit as it happened. that day i realized how ignorant all the 15/16 yr olds in the class were about the world around them.

about 2 hours later, my dad got sent home from work (he works at NASA and they started getting really freaked out that something may happen to it) and he picked up my brother and i, and went home. we live near an old air force base that still has military presence there and i have never seen so many planes fly out of there as i did the next few weeks.

our tv set was stuck on cnn for the next week. the few weeks following in school, i realized how increasingly prejudice some of the students were to an middle eastern friend of mine. it was sad really. felt sorry for the guy. he had people come up to him and say that "it was all his peoples fault" and that he should be ashamed. it was absolutely ridiculous

"With each passing day, the world finds new and exciting ways to kill a man." - Balthier

CURRENTLY PLAYING
    final fantasy xiii-2
    skyrim
    pokemon fire red

Sir Prize Where Were You? Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was fishing on the Cumberland river in Eastern KY. I was homeschooled so I didn't have the tight schedule everyone else did and I had worked overtime to get some R&R. Me and my family were fishing on the bank. Caught a few trout too... This old lady in a mechanized wheelchair rolled down the gravel walkway to where we were and started talking about exploding buildings and how "they" had blew it all up.

We thought, probably what you would've thought. We kept fishing for five or ten minutes until Dad started getting really bothered by what the old lady said, so we packed things up and headed for the van. When we turned the radio on, we knew. All the campsites we were passing, all the people had radios turned all the way up or were inside their car, just sitting.

None of our family slept that night...Me and my sister stayed up inside the tent. Mom and Dad never left the van for the entire night. If they slept at all it was in the van.

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Woke up and saw my parents watching the news. They soon explained what was going on, and I watched as I got ready for school. I remember it being really early, woke up around 6 I think. Soon after, the second plane hit as I watched.

Went to school and talked about what had happened with my friends before classes started. We did nothing in classes most of that day but talk about it. We may have watched it in some of the classes too.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 09-11-2010 at 12:35 PM.

Blog Entries

7th grade, inbetween geography and pre-algebra classes when one of my friends ran up to me and told me the news. I was really confused at what it all meant at first and to be honest, a terrorist attack on the United States was the last thing that I would ever to expect happen in a million years. When I went to math class, my teacher talked about it for a few minutes but he told us not to get overly worried about it and that "America is a very resilent country, we will get through this." Then we continued on with class. After school, I went straight home and talked about it to my friend across the street while a bunch of families were watching it at our house. It was a messed up day indeed.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

I want to play a game. Where Were You? Zargabaath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OceanEyes28 View Post
    8th grade
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Ditto
    I ditto that ditto. We had beginning of the school year assemblies that day and when we were in the auditorium our principal told us. Afterwards out teacher turned on the news and we watched for some time.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Gingersnap Where Were You? OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've been watching video footage and documentaries all morning. Stuff to do with the people who jumped, 911 calls, people filming from their apartments wondering what was happening. I can't believe I just freaked myself out like that, but I suppose I needed a reminder of what happened. I still can't wrap my head around it. Terrible.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was probably trying to sleep and dreading school the next day. I believe I was in the start of year 5, meaning I had two more years of primary school.

It would have been tomorrow that I went to the local shop to get a drink and a snack for school that I saw the papers. Every single paper had a different view of the horrific 9/11 incident. At first, I thought it was an accident, but then I saw the headlines. We had a minute of silence at school at 1pm. When I got home from school, it was all that was being talked about in the news.

For some reason, I didn't notice the story the evening before, on the day it happened/while it was happening. I guess it wasn't being broadcasted over here, which makes sense.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Blog Entries

History channel, right? I've been watching it off and on throughout the day. I've already seen all the documentaries at least once, but I always feel oddly compelled to watch these programs whenever they come up on TV. Usually only once a year, thankfully. I'll probably watch the new one airing later on tonight, too. I usually watch a morning memorial broadcast to share the moments of silence as well.

Kind of weird this year though, the weather is exactly like it was on that day. I've always been struck by what a contrast it was to see the towers burning against that pristine blue sky.

I've noticed how over the years, a lot of details are fuzzy but some are crystal clear. I can't remember which gym teacher told us, but I remember what my English teacher said word for word. Those details are so vivid and every year it comes back as clear as though I were sitting in the classroom listening to him say it.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Blog Entries

I was in Biology my sophomore year of high school. Someone from another class came in and just turned the TV on, they didn't speak a word. I remember my teacher saying "We're not doing anything in class today, this is way more important." Somehow, I thought it was a sick joke. Kind of like War of the Worlds. "The media is effing with us again." I had missed the first plane, but they were talking about it. For once, the people on the TV actually had some sort of genuine emotion. We were staring at the TV in the classroom for a bit, not blinking, when suddenly the second plane hit. That's when I cut all doubts. I replayed the impact over and over in my head for a bit, trying to analyze what the hell just happened. I had never felt such emotion before. The people in my class were a rainbow of mental states. There were people who were pissed; you know they wanted to be right there to help but we were in the middle of ****ing Kansas. There were people who didn't quite get it as fast as I did, which wasn't a first. But that day there were a lot of firsts. "What does that mean?" "What just happened?" "Are those people OK?" For the first time in their life, those people's dumbass questions were instantly answered by those around them. "Those people just died." I felt like we should be doing more than just sitting in a classroom watching it all unfold, but that's all we could do. We were hundreds of miles away. It was the first time I felt like I did in my entire life. Sometimes you don't realize you change as a person because it happens over time, but I felt myself change instantly when I was watching that TV.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Blog Entries

Okay... gonna try this again... I had written a bunch, but my finger slipped and closed everything :/ I'll give the cliff's notes version.... kinda.

I remember waking up and having breakfast. I don't remember what exactly I had, but there was orange juice involved. I remember "Drops of Jupiter" by Train playing on VH1. I also remember it being the most beautiful day I can remember. 70 and sunny, with zero humidity, and not a single cloud in the sky. It was a noticeably beautiful day.

I remember having chem first period, and being bored. After that was a student assembly, which went on as the first tower got hit. I thought it was a nothing incident, like a stupid little propeller bi-plane, like the one that hit the Empire State Building back in the 30s or 40s. After that, we had history.

"The World Trade Center no longer exists. It's just a mess of concrete, steel and bodies."

Those words still make the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

We had a few classes after that, but I don't remember them too well. There was a gym class, where the kids who had cell phones, tried calling their parents, but there was no service, since really the only reception tower WAS the antenna on Tower 1.

I also remember getting into an argument with a friend who had a brother in the Marines. He was very concerned about him being deployed because of it. (Unfortunately, the brother wound up dying in a training exercise in May 2002).

I also remember French class, where we got to listen to reports on the radio. Because we were only a few miles from Ground Zero, we had kids who had parents and relatives in the towers. The school opted not to show any televised reports because of this.

I also remember standing in line after school to buy a gym lock and some other bullshit that the school NEEDED us to buy.

When I got home, there were about 4 or 5 messages on the answering machine. The first was my aunts friend, asking if we had any info on my aunt. The second was my mom's mom, telling us she was ok, and that she had actually seen one of the planes turning to hit one of the towers (she lives uptown in Manhattan). The third was my mom, telling me that my aunt had gotten out of Tower 2 safely (from 95 stories up). The fourth was my uncle, in tears saying the same thing*. I don't remember the fifth.

My brother came home after me. We just watched TV in silence. I remember my mom coming home early. She worked about a mile north of the towers. I hugged her probably tighter than I ever had. My dad came home after that. He was working down by the Courts, and had seen the second plane hit the second tower. He was probably half a mile away at best. He was stuck in traffic for hours, and his car was absolutely covered in the thickest coating of dust. I also remember hugging him, and the four of us just watching tv in silence. I don't even know if we had eaten dinner.

*I didn't even think my aunt was at work that day, since she was on vacation the week before and she was debating making it 2 weeks. I assumed she had.

I really just remember an eerie sense of calm, and a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. It was like "Everything's going to hell, but it's alright. We'll make it through this."

The ensuing depression and PTSD by proxy were nothing compared to those who had actually lost someone, or everyone.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

The Quiet One Where Were You? Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had just gotten back from work. So I watched the TV for like 30 minutes or an hour and then went to bed. I was working the night shift at the time so I had to sleep in the morning. I didn't hear about the collapse until I work up in the afternoon. By then everything had already happened. I got caught up on the details throughout the rest of the day.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

My couch pulls out but I don't. Where Were You? midgetbob's Avatar

Was off doing errands when stepped into an office and was struck dumb. A group of people who absolutely didn't know anyone else crowded into this small space and watched. Most were holding hands and crying. Fearing the worst was yet to come and praying for those who were effected.

Who knew that it'd eventually affect everyone and the worst WAS yet to come.

A sad day for America... it definitely knocked us down a peg or two, and at such a horrible price :'(

I'll make you famous Where Were You? Rydia Lover's Avatar

i was at school, 5th grade. all these parrents were pulling there kids out of school, and the teachers didnt tell us what was going on. it wasnt until one of the kids came back from being pickedup and said something about washington being bombed, and it scarred the hell outof me, because both of my parrents worked for the defense inteeligence agencey at the time, which is right across the river from the pentagon. it was a very scary day for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermetal
    But I think this girl is uber hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumour.Delirium
    You ARE my number one, Rydia Lover. <3
    current games playing:
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Assassins Creed Revolutions
    Saints Row: The Third
    Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3
    Fallout New Vegas

Who cares? There have been much larger displays of death that no one cares about because it would require more than learning about it in school.

Why are you people fetishizing death? Alisyn, yours is the most disheartening.

Maridia

That was the second day of 7th grade for me. I had no clue what happened til the end of the school day. The principal came on saying how we were attacked and a tragedy happened. I was in Reading class and that was in the last 10 minutes or so. The bus ride was just people trying to figure out what the hell happened. All I knew before I got home was someone hijacked a plane. Didn't know how many or that they'd crashed. Then got home and had it left on VH1 which was running the attack which they never cut for any real news in the world. Which was then when I realized how much of a real deal it was.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Not sure if this is when it happened or shortly after, but it was the middle of the night, I was flicking through the channels hoping something decent was on the TV (at the time SBS in particular sometimes had something interesting on). When I hit a channel with a live report I thought I was seeing some kind of disaster movie. When I realised it was real I imagine I had a shocked expression on my face and recall muttering some words to that effect under my breath. Even in Australia the story was run on most channels for quite some time and people were talking about it for some time after it happened.
    victoria aut mors

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Who cares? There have been much larger displays of death that no one cares about because it would require more than learning about it in school.

And who cares about all the vapid bitches you bang, or the quasi-intellectual persona you desperately try to muster by talking about foreign films and obscure music that nobody gives a shit about?

Different things have significance to different people. But way to try and troll by trivializing the feelings and thoughts of others in regards to the biggest and most heinous attack on American soil in recent years. It's significant because it happened recently, in our formative years, on our soil. It completely shattered the idea of being the invincible nation that we always had the idea of.

Yes there are more deadly attacks of far greater magnitude, but it never affects you until it affects someone you know or your own land.

Was the Holocaust worse? Absolutely, but it doesn't affect us as much because we weren't there. We didn't see it firsthand. We didn't see people looking desperately for their loved ones, posting images of them wherever they could.

We didn't see the death camps that Milosevic ran. We heard about them, but unless we were Serbian, it doesn't affect us.

And it's not fetishizing death, it's a simple question of what you were doing during one of the most unforgettable groundbreaking historical events of our time.

But yeah where were you when your boy Obama was inaugurated?
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

I don't think it's the display of death that people are caring about. I think it's the message and overall symbolic tragedy of the event. The United States stands for freedom of speech, religion, and all other things, and it was an important event to remember in history.

Claiming that nobody else here knows anything about any other major event like this is ignorant, and instead of making you look more intelligent or informed on the matters it just made you look like an asshole.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast