View Poll Results: When you listen, where do you look?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eyes

3 21.43%
  • Mouth

2 14.29%
  • Face as a whole

6 42.86%
  • ( . )( . )

3 21.43%
  • Other (please specify!)

0 0%

Thread: When someone speaks to you...

The Old Skool Warrior When someone speaks to you... LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When someone speaks to you...

...where do you eventually fix your gaze? Many of us have wandering eyes, but where do yours typically end up?

And yeah, I mean, we all catch glimpses of things, peripheral vision and whatnot. What do you actively look at when someone's talking to you?

~

My gaze tends to settle on the lips. I like to watch individual speech patterns in a rather literal sense, and for some reason I'm more apt to remember what someone is saying when I can -see- them say it.

When I'm the one talking, I tend to watch the eyes. In many cases this will help bring someone's gaze into focus, though I'm often entertained by watching others' eyes as I speak or as they converse with one another.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

The Quiet One When someone speaks to you... Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Generally, I maintain eye contact with everyone. It's just something I was instilled with growing up, it's polite to maintain eye contact so they you're listening to them. So that's what I end up doing. I do tend to wander just to keep from feeling like a robot, but it's just a quick look around and back to focus. The problem I'll have sometimes though is that I'm an artist, so I'm always breaking down everything I'm looking at into simple shapes and figuring out how I'd draw them. Depending on how strong that artistic urge is, I can very easily be distracted by finding harmony in their face rather than actually what they're saying.

Outside of conversation, I do have a tendency to stare, but it's because I'm looking their silhouette because I'm drawing the person in my mind. I'm always trying to store as much information for drawing people as I can. Trying to breakdown every person into different shapes and forms. Happened a lot when I was on the train in Chicago, tons of people to watch.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Blog Entries
    This is a good question actually, I keep catching myself wandering around gazing throughout the room while I talk, as I start to make eye contact near the end of my sentences. And when I begin listening, I have like laser beam stares right through the eyes of someone; I have to mentally make note to briefly break eye contact so I don't feel like I'm dis-contently staring the speaker down. It's something I continually work on I guess, I'm self conscious about stuff like that.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

The Mad God When someone speaks to you... Heartless Angel's Avatar
    Depends. Mostly on whether or not it's a female, and whether there's visible cleavage. And whether or not it's somebody who's actually going to get mad if I stare. If boob staring is a no go, half the time I won't even be looking at the speaker.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Eye Contact always. I know how to slip away a titty and ass look without being noticed.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Registered User When someone speaks to you... Pikachu's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I start by looking at their eyes, but I typically wander for a bit since I find it weird to just look there with the occasional blink. After a bit of wandering, I go back to looking them in the eyes to make sure that they get that I'm still paying attention and then wander again. It's a cycle.

I never saw the point of trying to keep eye contact while still glancing. They already know you're looking at their chest. They're used to it. They're either going to flip shit or ignore you, it really doesn't matter much how long you do it, you're still just going to get one of those two reactions. Stare with confidence, friends.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Registered User When someone speaks to you...
    Had practiced interviews at a job skills class and found I do too much eye contact, I suppose in an effort to keep from doing too little.

#LOCKE4GOD When someone speaks to you... Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have a real problem maintaining eye contact in conversations. I just find it awkward, so I look at mouths, hands... I also chew and spin pens when meeting at work. I have dropped them so many times. Also, often in Pacific cultures it is considered rude for younger people to look older people in the eyes when conversing.

I try to do eye contact, but it makes me uncomfortable, so I'll purposely blur my vision a tiny bit. I can still see just fine, but that way I can't actually see directly in to their eyes, but as far as their concerned I'm making eye contact.

Hurts after a little bit though

Blog Entries
    Am I really the ONLY person who watches a person's lips when they talk?

I am... honestly a little surprised by this.

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.

Registered User When someone speaks to you...
    I imagine there are some deaf people who can read lip.

Blog Entries
    That's actually why I do it. Not because I am deaf, but because I remember what I "read" more effectively than what I don't. Also, it's a super useful skill to have when you can't hear someone over a crowded room, or when you wanna creep on someone else's conversation. The latter is especially useful in retail when catching thieves before they successfully steal anything.

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Registered User When someone speaks to you... Pikachu's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    Am I really the ONLY person who watches a person's lips when they talk?

I am... honestly a little surprised by this.
    I'd feel a little awkward doing that. I feel like I'd get stuck staring at their mouth and lose track of what they're saying.

Crash Boom Bang When someone speaks to you... Lily's Avatar
    i feel awkward maintaining eye contact, i either stare off into the distance or tey to be stood/sat next to them so i dont have to look around awkwardly, i bet i come across as really rude D:

Gingersnap When someone speaks to you... OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I tend to look at eyes, because I can get a better read on the intention behind what they're saying, and it helps me listen. I mean, I look away every so often so I'm not STARING THEM DOWN, but I watch people pretty closely. Although, if I find myself doing that weird thing where I'm switching from their right eye to their left, I'll just pick a spot between their eyebrows and look there.

I've noticed that if I'm angry, but I'm trying to calm down, I'll look away from a person. If I'm making a point, I'll make direct eye contact.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

Boxer of the Galaxy When someone speaks to you... Rowan's Avatar
    i cant look someone directly in the eyes when speaking to them, its too romantic.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    The latter is especially useful in retail when catching thieves before they successfully steal anything.
    Shit, when I still worked at a theatre I had a couple drunk morons discussing their plans to steal candy while one of them distracted me. Funny shit really. Guy came up, asked me for a large popcorn, halfway through filling it he stopped me and started asking for the pricing on various combos. I was of course watching his buddy the entire time. Right as he was going for it, guy asked me how much just the popcorn would be. Threw the half full bucket at the guy going for the candy, nailed him right in the head. Told him it was on the house.

Got chewed out for that by one of the asst managers. Main manager thought it was hilarious.

I usually look down at my own feet. Wait, is that not normal? I'd just assumed everyone else was doing the same....

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I have a real problem maintaining eye contact in conversations. I just find it awkward, so I look at mouths, hands...
    Oh my gosh I aways thought I was the only one who finds it creepy to look someone in the eye the whole time! I normally wander off to nose, mouth, eyebrows, sometimes lips, sometimes breast (men; I seldom stare at women's breasts, not interested in them )... just not a direct stare into the other one's eyes. And I don't like being stared in the eyes either. It just feels awkward.

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)

Riding the waves of adventure When someone speaks to you... RainingOasis's Avatar
    Usually look at the eyes occasionally but not all the time, kinda like looking at the lips and body. Feels a lot less awkward

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When I was younger, my tutor told me that I shouldn't be so shy and make eye contact more. Apparently it makes you more confident? But from then on, I've always tried to look people in the eye in conversations. Sometimes, I have to remember to blink, and so my eyes wonder a lot during conversations, but they usually either settle between someone's eyes or on their mouth, and I'll flick between them.

In the few occasions when something gets nasty, I always look at the eyes. Someone else's eyes flicker to everything around you but you, to find a way out or something to hurt you with. I once grabbed a pair of scissors off the counter at work before an irate customer got to them because their eyes went to them a few times during a heated discussion between them and a colleague (also a reason why you shouldn't leave sharp objects just laying around). You can also see guilt and intention, which helps you understand the other person better.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.