Thread: Do internet advertisements ever appeal to you?

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) Do internet advertisements ever appeal to you? che's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do internet advertisements ever appeal to you?

I feel like I just close them out, or purposely ignore all of them. I can't recall finding myself going "oh hey, I think I might want that", despite all the efforts put into dynamic advertising. With companies buying people's interests from social networking websites and sponsoring things for advertisements, it's gotta be good for business, but do you think they be wasting a bit much of their money investing in these?

Or does it actually work?

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Do internet advertisements ever appeal to you?

I ignore them for the most part. The sites I go on usually advertise chat rooms, online games and cheat sites, and I'm not interested in either of them. Like, right now in the ad above where I'm typing, I have a site for FFXIII Cheats, Job Advertisements (on a site I've used a few times already, to no avail -_-) and a MMORPG called Perfect World. >>

Some of the facebook ones are okay. I've found a few good bands and college courses I'd be interested in by taking a look every now and then. Sometimes a game pops up, but they're usually games I'm not interested in. I make a habit of deleting Twilight ones and marking them as offensive. *shrug*

They just blend into the background to me. I never look out for them.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Registered User Do internet advertisements ever appeal to you? Kaiden's Avatar

While I'm similar to you in that I never pay attention to internet ads. There must be someone who uses them. Look at all the people who got rich just by putting up search engine links on different websites. Not to mention I gotta think larger companies that run internet ads track how much business or potential business they get off them. If there wasn't profit in it I somehow doubt people would do it.

Scene from a movie.
    SPOILER!!:
    [Having pulled over a speeding driver.]
    Mac: All right, how about Cat Game?
    Foster: Cat Game? What's the record?
    Mac: Thorny did six, but I think you can do ten.
    Foster: Ten? Starting right meow?
    [They go up to the car.]
    Driver: Sorry about the...
    Foster: All right meow. Hand over your license and registration.
    [The man gives him his license.]
    Foster: Your registration? Hurry up meow.
    Driver: [laughing] Sorry.
    Foster: Is there something funny here boy?
    Driver: Oh, no.
    Foster: Then why you laughing, Mister... Larry Johnson?
    [Foster stares at him.]
    Foster: All right meow, where were we?
    Driver: Excuse me, are you saying meow?
    Foster: Am I saying meow?
    Driver: I thought...
    Foster: Don't think boy. Meow, do you know how fast you were going?
    [The man laughs.]
    Foster: Meow. What is so damn funny?
    Driver: I could have sworn you said meow.
    Foster: Do I look like a cat to you, boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly-bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
    [The man is uncontrollably laughing.]
    Foster: You stop laughing right meow!
    Driver: [Stops and swallows hard.] Yes sir.
    Foster: Meow, I'm gonna have to give you a ticket on this one. No buts meow. It's the law.
    [Rips off the ticket and hands it to the man.]
    Foster: Not so funny meow, is it?
    [Foster gets up to leave, but Mac shakes his hands at him, indicating only nine meows.]
    Foster: Meow!

Do internet advertisements ever appeal to you? rJ floW's Avatar

Internet ad's do work, that's why they pay money to advertise. Some work better than others as there's real research done as to what people who visit a site may want to look for/buy.

On this site, no, for some reason people seem to believe i want to date teenagers and seniors and lesbians and gays...I swear that doesnt work!
    tHe ChOsEn
    rJ floW
    .EcKS.
    Lionhart2001 aka Pete
    LocoColt04
    Telegraph aka Calamity Taco
    Neo Necron
    OceanEyes28
    Usagy
    This is why bitches love me

Human crack in the flesh, im the last of the best, one word to describe me? Spectacular yes"-Juelz Santana-

My couch pulls out but I don't. Do internet advertisements ever appeal to you? midgetbob's Avatar

Some studies done a few years ago pointed out that Americans are bombarded by ~3000 advertisements a day on average; and that's just on the RADIO. Psychologists have deduced that our brains have been so pummeled that it's created a sort of anesthesia to the advertisements - with such a saturated media environment, all messages lose their impact.

I know, for one, I don't even recognize there are even advertisements anymore. My mind has simply blocked them out. I stopped typing to scan the page to see if there was one on TFF and almost missed a whole advertisement going across the middle of my screen. I can't really recall ever clicking on more then a small handful on purpose.
    mel 1:32 AM
    Hahah I'm like penis penis penis lalala <3
    [10/30/2012 10:46:16 PM] Mel (GypsyElder): I love Virgins haha

Blog Entries

I realize they must work, otherwise no one would bother. I'm just wondering how. It seems everyone I talk to are like "oh GOD that annoying pop up, click the x", or "dammit, a popup page, immediately exit", or "these ads do not even appeal to me, that's hilarious!"

So where do they work? Who do they work on?

The Mad God Do internet advertisements ever appeal to you? Heartless Angel's Avatar

Advertisement only works to a certain extent. Once you reach the point where it's annoying, most people don't even look at the shit anymore. You know, back when I only won 1000$ once a week, I actually looked at what the thing said. Few times I even clicked the ad before realizing it was a load of crap. Now I don't even look to see what the shit says, I see a popup, I ALt+f4, get the **** off my screen, you're not worth my time.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Perhaps not immidiately (I do not click the add itself), but when shopping or browsing a shop/site I may think about something I saw in a popup ad.
    In that situation the ad is effective.

I suppose that is how they work, che.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JuzamDjinn View Post
    Perhaps not immidiately (I do not click the add itself), but when shopping or browsing a shop/site I may think about something I saw in a popup ad.
    In that situation the ad is effective.

I suppose that is how they work, che.
    But I am trendy and unique and when I see something I saw in an ad while shopping, I purposely do NOT buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    But I am trendy and unique and when I see something I saw in an ad while shopping, I purposely do NOT buy it.
    Exactly, the ad was effective in alerting you to the existance of the item/service advertised, and providing just enough clues about it for you to make the decision that it is not something you're interested in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JuzamDjinn View Post
    Exactly, the ad was effective in alerting you to the existance of the item/service advertised, and providing just enough clues about it for you to make the decision that it is not something you're interested in.
    No you don't understand. It doesn't matter if i want it or not. The fact that it was advertised to me makes me not want it! How dare they?!

Ellipsis Do internet advertisements ever appeal to you? Meigumi's Avatar
    Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

I ignore them. I really don't care if I win a free phone or anything. Most of the things they advertise are things I don't want, anyway. I'd rather see it on a shelf than on the internet.

Oh, while I was typing my reply, there's an ad that says, "DOWNLOAD this song FREE. Really!"
    ........And I'm all like, "What song?"

These days, we have advertisements with VOICE-OVERS. Can you believe how annoying it is when a advertisement plays louder than music you're listening to? One almost scared my heart out...... Makes me not want to look at the advertisement because it annoys me.
    .....And I also stole that cupcake.

TFF Family~:

Ice-cream loving brother Fate
    The great benevolent dark lord Elyon Demidias
    Lovable doll ViviMasterMage
    Soul Stealing, Chaos-loving, Pom-pom eating older brother Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus
    The Awesome and Dashing Thief, ethan
    The Stealthy Swordsman of Poetic Power, genome's blade

Death Before Dishonor Do internet advertisements ever appeal to you? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The only one I ever hit up was for Gamefly. I was very intrigued. I had seen several commercials, but none of them stuck out to me. This internet ad however did. Now I am a very satisfied Gamefly customer, thank you internet ad.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

I feel epic... Do internet advertisements ever appeal to you? Ralz's Avatar
    Apparently, I've died and gone to Game Heaven. Later, losers.

I ignore them, and if they get in the way, x them out.

I sort've take the "why are you here, I so don't care" stance.

I'm going through a bit of a The World Ends With You phase right now.
    Click THERE:
    TFF Family:
    Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus CecilGod1994 Flaming Ragnarok Shadow of Darkness Dark Angel Kilala Sato Arashi RagnaToad RamesesII IceColdPillow Kisaragi^^ Elyon Seraphim Shiru MILK Vince Kisuke Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima ethan

I invented Go-Gurt. Do internet advertisements ever appeal to you? Clint's Avatar

Like all advertisements, it depends on the audience. For example, if you're advertising internet service over the internet to people who don't have access to the internet, then that's definitely not good for business.

I ignore internet advertisements unless if they pertain directly to me. If the advertisement doesn't say something along the lines of "Clint Eastwood, buy this product," then I really don't care.

Add Block Plus.

Even if I did find one interesting I probably wouldn't click it haha.

I think there's only been one time an add has appealed to me, but it just reminded me to look up something similar.
    Last edited by GypsyElder; 01-29-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Dark Knight Do internet advertisements ever appeal to you? Dark-Knight Luna's Avatar

No, they make me want to not even think about buying the product. Especially when they pop up with a flash window y.y
    SPOILER!!: