Thread: UK pretty much definitely in recession, everyone else to follow probably

Govinda

UK pretty much definitely in recession, everyone else to follow probably

Well, someone had to bring it up sometime, right?

I heard on the radio just there that the FTSE, the UK share index, fell to its lowest in fifty years this morning. Richard Branson is panicky and saying that this is the worst financial crisis he's seen in his lifetime. Millions were wiped off of the market's value today.

I can't really speak for America, but I know you guys are in it pretty deep too. So are the Russians.

So what should be done? Do you think the bailout plans both given by American and Irish governments (though theirs was more of a guarantee of help) are what's needed right now? Or will those funds just disappear like the last bailouts and revenue from interest rates hikes/cuts?

Personally, speaking for the UK, I'm quite worried. My bank, the Royal Bank of Scotland, lost some like 17% of its value today. That's not cool. Barclays are doing the usual stoic English thing and pretending they're not in trouble after losing 5% of their whole value in just one morning. HBOS got bought out by Lloyds TSB, who also lost something in the region of 14% value today.

I wonder how HypoReal are doing, and the American banks? Can anyone volunteer info?

Thoughts?

The Dow fell before 10,000 yesterday. That is one of those "Holy shit!" moments for sure. Recession is all but guaranteed. At this point, we need to worry about depression.

I am personally excited for a possible return to the bartering system.

Au revoir. UK pretty much definitely in recession, everyone else to follow probably Doc Rocco's Avatar
    While we here in Australia aren't experiencing as drastic changes in the stock markets, we're still feeling the sting. The ASX fell 3.3% on Monday, reaching a 3 year low. In response, the Reserve Bank has cut interest rates by 1%, the largest cut in 16 years. We're only buying 72 US cents now, and it actually sunk below 70 cents today. That hasn't been the case for years now. For a while, it looked like we were going to reach the point in the next year where our two currencies would be equal.

This has also shook up the banks here. For a while, it looked like many of our banks would end up being taken over, and indeed, the Commonwealth Bank will most likely acquire Bank West later this month. They've already begun negotiations (I think) or at the very least, an offer on the bank has been made.

So yes. I am worried that if Wall Street crashes, Australia, the UK, New Zealand and a myriad of other countries will also be going into depression. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by James D.
    I am personally excited for a possible return to the bartering system.
    Hear hear! Soon we'll be able to swap our computers for a bowl of rancid muesli, as we'll no longer be able to afford Internet connections when we're in the Great Depression of 2008. I'll have to brush up on my bartering. It's been a few hundred years since I last did it.

|Rocco's LiveJournal| = |SPSGE| = |Request Avatars and Banners|

"I can't disappear yet..."
    Banner and avatar by myself.

TFF Family, Awards and random lunacy:

=TFF Family=

Lily, Craven, Froggie, Bleachfangirl, Priscilla,
    Hyzenthlay, Xeim, Crazy Chocobo, Halie, Refieth, Rikkuffx, Martin,
    FF Ace Cid, winterborn86, L Lawliet and T.G. Oskar.

PM/VM me to adopt me or join!

Because we're clones and stuff.

Memorable Quotes:
    Rachel : I hear you're advanced in twittery. =D
    Rocco : PhD level. =D
    Rachel : And beyond. =D

Ann: It's like asking someone "How do you brush your teeth?"
    "What's your methods of toenail cutting?" "How do you get rid of nosehairs?"

Jules: Bullshit. She thought it happened.
    Rocco: It was that quick huh?

Cilla: Closets are so hot.

TFF vs. World's Biggest Idiots:
    Matt :
    y = X x T
    -----
    C x V
    y= -6
    Rachel : For what, may I ask? Your intelligence?
    Let X, T, C and V all equal zero.
    Rachel : And you'd still come up with -6, because, let's face it, you're not the brightest spark.

TOM: thought id take a pic of mine [his penis] and show u's
    TOM: its nice aye
    George: i wanan touch it

TOM: i will go ****ing hulk on your ass ok
    .::.Sammy.::. : ill go like super sayian 5

Quotes of Lily's:

Hayden says:
    r u sure theres not a man standing behind u with a knife
    Rachel says:
    Quite sure.
    Hayden says:
    maybe its me
    Rachel says:
    I seriously doubt that your IQ is high enough for it to occur to you that you cannot walk through solid objects.

=Lily on Freema Agyeman [Slightly paraphrased]=
    Lily says: Freema is so pretty.
    Lily says: I wish I was her.
    Lily says: She is mind-bogglingly sexy.
    Lily says: Seriously, if I had to choose between her and David Tennant, I'd SO choose her.
    Lily says: *glomps Freema to death and rips her clothes off*

Member of FF Cult

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Rocco View Post
    Hear hear! Soon we'll be able to swap our computers for a bowl of rancid muesli, as we'll no longer be able to afford Internet connections when we're in the Great Depression of 2008. I'll have to brush up on my bartering. It's been a few hundred years since I last did it.
    We won't all survive the bartering system, for sure. I mastered the art back when I traded Pokemon cards, so I will be fine.

The Bailout can help to an extent, but as all our silly officials keep saying, it requires a lot of oversight, and I hope with all the hope I can muster these Millionaire CEOs who are fueled by greed get what's coming to them. Quite a few are being investigated now and many more are to follow.

We just covered a lot of the topics in my Business Administration class as to ethical and legal behavior, and most of these assholes acted unethically but still barely within the law, but that may not get them off with the economy in this state.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if I heard correctly, but they were saying on the news that our shares went up - just a little - today. Not much of a difference I guess, but at least its a sign that things can get better.

Lol... I remember the day when a pack of crips were only 30p... now your looking at 45p or 50p... Unless you don't want out-of-date chocolate anyway.

Damn banks for over spending...

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

TFF's Token Imp UK pretty much definitely in recession, everyone else to follow probably Martin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's rallying. Looks like the bailout may work although it's early days. FTSE closed up 3.3 % today at 4,391.21 but well... I'm a little concerned it will fluctuate massively until the proposal comes to fruition.

I'm extremely annoyed at the total lack of management that caused this mess in the first place. And what do we do, we bail them out. I spotted this 18 months ago, because crunching is what happens when people live beyond their means. So whilst I can gloat and whine... I wish that it had never come to this at the first place.

One thing though, isn't Gordon coming out of this very well? Guaranteeing the Icelandic investors their stakes and assets... restoring faith in a shattered credit market... Fourth term maybe? Is it enough? I do wonder...
    Spoiler:

Care to have a look at my WordPress Journal?