Thread: Things that are killing the American economy

Things that are killing the American economy

So I was sitting at the local Walgreens the other day and I saw something that I had to chuckle at. I saw a blockbuster empolyee walk right up and order movies via a redbox.

Well I decided to look into this subject a little bit and what I found was pretty shocking.

I took a look at the local area video rentals and found that certain local buisnesses are in serious trouble, such as Blockbuster and Movie Gallery. Hollywood video has already seen the effects of the sourge that Redbox has posed to the industry. 8 of 8 Hollywood Videos shut down here in Tulsa over the last 6 months due to loss of customer base. Sure $1 movies are nice and I have used the Redbox more often as of late. Now here in Tulsa there are many good employees are now oout of work and it is being acredited to the advert of Redbox.

On average each store had 10 emyployees and in turn left roughly 80 people out of work, looking for new places of employement. 80 is not that high of a number but in thesee times it is hard enough for American citizens to find new employement. Now look at the other video supply chains here in Tulsa. Blockbuster is one of the prominant video rental retailers here in town, they currently have 13 in the city and more in the out lieing cities, each having a surplus of employees.

It is rumored that Blockbuster is going to be shuting down in the next few years if the ecconomy don't turn around. I see this industry faling even if the ecconomy turns and further Oklahomans being out of work either way.

So what I am wondering is if anyone else has notice trends like this that are harmful even if the economy does make the predicted turn for the better. New inventions are coming out every day and it makes me wonder which is the next to put a massive amount of people of work.

Robotics have already eliminated alot of need for workers. Whats next?
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Go with me, Exkaizer~ Things that are killing the American economy Treize's Avatar

Re: Things that are killing the American economy

I don't think that this is just the economy. I think that most video rental stores will fail in the near future because of sites like Netflix where you can either download a movie from home or have it delivered. It is much more convenient to download it or have it delivered. You don't have to worry if it is in stock and it is usually cheaper. Why should someone go to a video rental store when it is cheaper and easier to get the movie from somewhere else?

This may just be my opinion, but I don't think we need all these people working at video rental stores where I'm sure there is very little work to be done when it could be done through the internet or a machine. I'm sure it would be much better for those workers if they could further their education or try to get a more productive job.

I think that new inventions are good. It cuts down the cost for manufacturers and consumers. It is unfortunate if some people must get laid off, but I think it is better for the economy in the long run if we make these advancements. Now instead of video rental store workers, we need inventors and people to produce and maintain these machines.

I think it is more of a change in the times.

This reminds me of the self checkouts at big stores like Walmart. I prefer to have a cashier still if I'm buying a lot of stuff, but I have to admit that it is easier to just use a self checkout if I'm buying one or two things.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

Bananarama Things that are killing the American economy Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not gonna lie, but Treize has a good point. Netflix is far superior to Blockbuster just on convenience alone. If you can wait a little bit for the movie you want, you can have unlimited movies streamed on your PS3/ 360, or delivered, for the price of a Blockbuster rental.

In general, if you can replace a mostly unskilled laborer with a robot, it'll yield bigger rewards in the future for the company. It's unfortunate for the human side of things, but for those in a position where a robot could **** you over, it blows
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Sir Prize Things that are killing the American economy Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yea, I pretty much just use Netflix. My PS3 streams movies to me instantly and on demand. Movies that are rare and unattainable from that shit store Movie Gallery(used to work there) and other franchises. Movies that aren't on the instant queue I get in the mail, on demand and can keep for however long I want. Not to mention that I copy most of the movies with my recorder and only have to rent them once.

This is above and beyond a rental store or even a redbox. I'm afraid it's just an industry we're going to have to say goodbye to. Pretty soon, the movies in the mail thing will die as well. They'll all be streaming straight to the TV for a monthly fee. Personally, I think it's great because it puts more variety and choice in the hands of the average viewer.

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

You guys bring up a good points and netflix seeems to be a dominating factor too. So is there any other industries that you can think of that are being affected by something simular to this.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Sharing is caring, and caring is ment to be shared Things that are killing the American economy The Dark Crystal's Avatar

Our Hollywood video, and Game crazy are going out of business, they just started discounting everything last week. No that's not good for the employees, but I did get some cheap games.

I would like to add, though not much, since everyone else summed up things nicely.

In my opinion the Game Crazy's are getting hit hard because of Game fly, which is basically like Netflix. I had it a couple of month's ago when I had my 360, and it was nice not having to feel rushed to complete a game in five day's. Which by all means is not hard with most games now day's , but that also leads to the point to why I don't wanna pay 50 buck's for a new game, or even the same price for a used one at a game store. I used the 2-game plan, can't remember what I paid monthly, but It was a green saver.

I'm sure most people feel the same way, so thus other game stores will start to fall, I give Game stop a couple more year's. Their hurting as well, or at least around here they are.
    THE GREAT CONJUNCTION IS THE END OF THE WORLD! Or the beginning. Hm! -Aughra

gaming service ID:

I want to play a game. Things that are killing the American economy Zargabaath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meier Link View Post
    You guys bring up a good points and netflix seeems to be a dominating factor too. So is there any other industries that you can think of that are being affected by something simular to this.

How about the music industry [record labels]? Cd sales have plummeted since '06 because of people choosing itunes or illegal means to get their music. I know most of the stores that do sell music are having hard times and they probably will go under unless they can do something - very effective - to stop piracy and to create a new and competitive way to buy music from them.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Blog Entries

Our local Blockbuster closed last year and the FYE next to it is going out of business right now. Digital media has pretty much killed these types of stores.

I don't make a lot of money and in this crap economy I've had to cut expenses so yes, I've pretty much had to stop buying games. I use Gamefly to save money and get access to games I normally wouldn't play anyways because I wouldn't have had the spare cash to spend. I'd rather support the developers and buy the game, it just isn't possible for me right now.

I hate self-checkouts. I work in retail and every self-checkout means one less employee required. Luckily my store is a pharmacy and not that big. It will be a very long time before self-checkouts come here, if ever. I've seen local stores with them though and I never use them. If you want to help support the economy without spending extra money, something as simple as not using said self-checkout helps.

Bookstores are hurting right now too thanks to Amazon and a general lack of readership. Ebooks are far from mainstream but they are contributing as a lot of big readers such as myself use them for space and portability. Indie bookshops are the first to go, then the bigger chains.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Bass Player Extraordinaire Things that are killing the American economy Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zargabaath View Post
    How about the music industry [record labels]? Cd sales have plummeted since '06 because of people choosing itunes or illegal means to get their music. I know most of the stores that do sell music are having hard times and they probably will go under unless they can do something - very effective - to stop piracy and to create a new and competitive way to buy music from them.
    Honestly, if anything, using iTunes actually HELPS the artists more than buying a CD does. On average an artist gets mere pennies per 16 dollar cd, but the percentage of royalties received from digital sales is larger, thus making them more money.

I also wouldn't buy any quotes you here from the RIAA or MPAA concerning Piracy and money losses, after all, these same people said that the Cassette would kill the music industry. Letting record labels go under would only Help the music industry, as it would put far more control in the hands of the artists. I need to cut myself off now, because I can go on for hours about this XD

I Love Netflix, though. I find that when I want to watch hokey/campy B movies, or really anything at all, its just easier to find on Netflix, and cheaper overall if you watch a lot of movies.
    Last edited by Joe; 05-31-2010 at 09:42 AM.
    (TFF Family):

My TFF Family:
    My Anime Addicted sister Athna Loveil
    My Unspoken Scabbia Loving Bro Fishie
    My Godsmack addicted brother Omega Weapon
    My Kooky Soap opera addicted sister Rikkuffx
    My Kinky Chipmunk Cousin Unknown Entity, because, you know, cousins can still do stuff in certain states.
    My Twin-like bro Ruin_Tumult
    Craven
    Slots still available, PM to join!

I want to play a game. Things that are killing the American economy Zargabaath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Honestly, if anything, using iTunes actually HELPS the artists more than buying a CD does. On average an artist gets mere pennies per 16 dollar cd, but the percentage of royalties received from digital sales is larger, thus making them more money.

I also wouldn't buy any quotes you here from the RIAA or MPAA concerning Piracy and money losses, after all, these same people said that the Cassette would kill the music industry. Letting record labels go under would only Help the music industry, as it would put far more control in the hands of the artists. I need to cut myself off now, because I can go on for hours about this XD
    I refrered to record lables who get most of the money from cd sales and the stores that sell them. iTunes is better for the artist, however, the artist makes their money from tours; the record label from cd sales and yes piracy is a problem. Even accounting Itunes sales with the physical copy, total sales are way down compared to 5-6 years ago. In current times if the sales of a new cd reach 1 million that is extremely good (think 4-6 million back in the day).

Record labels, along with music stores are on the decline, and artists do have more control if they go independent. Plus it is not so hard to be an independent artist as a some years ago because the internet allows artists to reach the masses.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

The Mad God Things that are killing the American economy Heartless Angel's Avatar

Hell, even iTunes and legal means of downloading music are eventually going to get run out of business. It seems like everytime I turn around there's some new site for pirated software. Same goes for the video game industry. Yeah, most new releeases are pretty much pirate proofed, but people are always looking for new and better ways to get shit for free. I honestly wouldn't be at all suprised when they day comes where you can go get a week old first party PS3 game on bittorrent or something. This could kill the movie industry just as easily. I mean really, why would i want to wait a year to go buy a DVD for 10 bucks when someone has it out on bittorrent for free (illegal) download in a month? The biggest contributor to industries going down is human greed. Yeah, if I think only of myself, what am I costing blockbuster by downloading a pirated movie, couple bucks? No big deal right? Problem being, there are a couple thousand other people thinking the exact same thing. That couple bucks turns into a couple thousand bucks pretty damn fast.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Magically Delicous Things that are killing the American economy Merlin's Avatar

Yes, human greed plays a role in things, but the movie industry and the music industry both have what is coming to them. Both of them, heck even the game industry take a dump and expect people to pay money for it. I think the voice of the people is quite clear. They fail at basic economics, which state that prices will be whatever people are willing to pay. People aren't willing to pay $30 for a Blu-Ray yet they sure as hell keep selling them at that price wondering why. Instead, their solution is to sue their consumer base. Way to win over customers buddy. Instead of suing the consumer base, go after the people dealing illegal material. People can't buy crack if nobody is selling...

Now do I think people should get it for free? Nah. People will buy media that is reasonably priced. Whether you like Apple or hate them, they got the idea of selling music right. Now if they would just lower the prices on their hardware...

----
    On the subject of people losing jobs, I always dislike the concept of people losing jobs in one area increases jobs in another. Somehow I doubt all the people who lost their jobs are sleeping well at night with the knowledge that they are no longer needed and their job slot was replaced by someone else in another field.
    Last edited by Merlin; 05-31-2010 at 01:44 PM.

Registered User Things that are killing the American economy Kaiden's Avatar

After reading through the thread I found it funny to have a Netflix add at the bottom of the page. 8.99 a month for as many rentals as you want or something like that. Retail itself is a dying industry. I buy books, computers, tv's, games, clothes, music and movies all over the internet. I may go into a Best Buy or FYE to look around but its much easier buying things online and usually cheaper. Every year during the holidays the news talks about how more and more people do most of their shopping online. As the retail Industry closes though other doors will open up. Maintaining the internet and sites is probably be a big industry. Working in warehouses mailing out orders that come in. UPS, or other common carriers are probably hiring more and more people with the added work.

Scene from a movie.
    SPOILER!!:
    [Having pulled over a speeding driver.]
    Mac: All right, how about Cat Game?
    Foster: Cat Game? What's the record?
    Mac: Thorny did six, but I think you can do ten.
    Foster: Ten? Starting right meow?
    [They go up to the car.]
    Driver: Sorry about the...
    Foster: All right meow. Hand over your license and registration.
    [The man gives him his license.]
    Foster: Your registration? Hurry up meow.
    Driver: [laughing] Sorry.
    Foster: Is there something funny here boy?
    Driver: Oh, no.
    Foster: Then why you laughing, Mister... Larry Johnson?
    [Foster stares at him.]
    Foster: All right meow, where were we?
    Driver: Excuse me, are you saying meow?
    Foster: Am I saying meow?
    Driver: I thought...
    Foster: Don't think boy. Meow, do you know how fast you were going?
    [The man laughs.]
    Foster: Meow. What is so damn funny?
    Driver: I could have sworn you said meow.
    Foster: Do I look like a cat to you, boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly-bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
    [The man is uncontrollably laughing.]
    Foster: You stop laughing right meow!
    Driver: [Stops and swallows hard.] Yes sir.
    Foster: Meow, I'm gonna have to give you a ticket on this one. No buts meow. It's the law.
    [Rips off the ticket and hands it to the man.]
    Foster: Not so funny meow, is it?
    [Foster gets up to leave, but Mac shakes his hands at him, indicating only nine meows.]
    Foster: Meow!

This ain't no place for no hero Things that are killing the American economy Tiffany's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    ----
    On the subject of people losing jobs, I always dislike the concept of people losing jobs in one area increases jobs in another. Somehow I doubt all the people who lost their jobs are sleeping well at night with the knowledge that they are no longer needed and their job slot was replaced by someone else in another field.
    I'm not in the US, but this happened to me.

I worked in an Automotive Factory. The company I worked for was a Tier 2 supplier, and had factories all over the world. Anyways, long story short, they decided to ship our machines to the plant in Mexico.

We actually had to train the mexican workers to take our jobs. Of course at the time they denied heavily that our jobs were in jeopardy (what company would, right?) and it wasn't until they gave the notice that our company was closing 6 months later did they reveal that our machines were going South.

Yeah, not impressed.