Thread: Something I Noticed Watching Star Wars

Scourge of Esthar Something I Noticed Watching Star Wars CrazedMonkey's Avatar

Something I Noticed Watching Star Wars

So, I grew up on the Star Wars movies. Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and all that jazz. Despite this, there was never a time when I could put any of the movies in my favorites, and one of my friends pointed this out to me. It got me thinking about why that was, so I went back and watched all the movies to figure it out. That's when I noticed, I love the idea behind Star Wars, with the lightsabers, space battles, intergalactic smugglers, evil empire, and the light and dark sides of the force, but I don't actually LIKE Star Wars. Luke just sort of annoys me, Han is cool, but nothing new, Leia was just kinda there, and I have never found Vader intimidating. Weirdly, the only Star Wars movie I like is the one everyone else seems to hate: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace. Qui-gon is my all time favorite Jedi and I absolutely love the mystique of Darth Maul. I even found myself really liking Amadala. Yet, all the other movies and even the TV shows just do nothing for me. I prefer the games, namely the Old Republic games. It got me curious, did anyone else have the same reaction? If you're a fan of Star Wars, don't take this as a hate rant, it's just my viewpoint, but I would like to know if anyone else ever felt that way. It doesn't even have to be about Star Wars, more just you realized that you enjoyed an idea behind a movie, book, or game more the actually media itself. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say on the subject.
    You'll have your reward for finding me, and don't think of running off without collecting. My shot is faster, or my names not Balthier.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Something I Noticed Watching Star Wars Xanatos's Avatar
    Despite what some might say even the original trilogy is not without its flaws. Some parts of its story are idiotic to say the least (Death Star flaw in particular) and sometimes the acting is borderline laughable. Include prequels into that and I see why one might not like Star Wars that much.

I however do love Star Wars, grew up on it. You could say it was one of my first "good vs evil" stories. Even in 90s its special effects were pretty impressive, as was its music. I honestly don't like Vader as much as I do like James Earl Jones's voice, the breathing issue is pretty iconic though. I'm not overly fond of prequels, never saw the shows nor do I plan to, played handful of Star Wars games out of which only KOTOR and LEGO games were any good.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Blog Entries
    Han Solo was "nothing new?" What characters came before him that were like him? More importantly, how many lovable rogues came before him in pop culture? Seinfeld is Unfunny, much? Keep in mind that the original Star Wars movie debuted in 1977, 36 years ago. Maybe there have been characters like him since, but he was a huge inspiration for many of them.

Everything else, whatevs, your opinion. I watched A New Hope again a couple months ago, and I had almost forgotten the number of iconic lines and scenes in that movie. Those movies were a big deal when they came out. Had a huge influence on film. Also a huge influence on Final Fantasy (especially FF12, heh.) it's cool if you don't like them, but don't underestimate how important they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Taco-Calamitous View Post
    Han Solo was "nothing new?" What characters came before him that were like him? More importantly, how many lovable rogues came before him in pop culture? Seinfeld is Unfunny, much? Keep in mind that the original Star Wars movie debuted in 1977, 36 years ago. Maybe there have been characters like him since, but he was a huge inspiration for many of them.

Everything else, whatevs, your opinion. I watched A New Hope again a couple months ago, and I had almost forgotten the number of iconic lines and scenes in that movie. Those movies were a big deal when they came out. Had a huge influence on film. Also a huge influence on Final Fantasy (especially FF12, heh.) it's cool if you don't like them, but don't underestimate how important they were.
    Keep in mind that I wasn't around when these movies first came out so I HAD seen Han-esque characters and the impact he had on some was not there for me. Also, no offense, but citing 12 as taking inspiration doesn't really appeal to me in particular as I can't stand 12. You also shouldn't simply assume that I don't understand the influence the films had, I'm perfectly aware of it. I have a number of friends who are major Star Wars fans and I can certainly see why people enjoy it; it's just not for me. I like the idea more the execution was the point I was trying to get across and wanted to know if anyone else had ever felt the same way with this or some other type of media.
    You'll have your reward for finding me, and don't think of running off without collecting. My shot is faster, or my names not Balthier.

Blog Entries
    You said that Han Solo was "nothing new." I was citing that Han Solo was in fact something new at the time that the movies came out. And you'll have to forgive me for thinking that you were implying that Star Wars didn't have an impact on film, but I wasn't sure if you were aware of the impact. Not just on people, but on filmmakers as well. Also, whatevs. You don't like 12, but the fact still stands that Star Wars was obviously a huge impact on Square, not just in 12 (there's like a direct quote in 9, practically.)

Also, my age would imply that I was not alive when the first film came out yet, either

Greedo Shot first.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Bananarama Something I Noticed Watching Star Wars Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Don't forget Biggs (Vicks in FF6) and Wedge!
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

I invented Go-Gurt. Something I Noticed Watching Star Wars Clint's Avatar
    You're right, Episode I really was the only good Star Wars movie. I especially liked learning about the trade federation. Separatists disputing about trade routes to outlying star systems was a very important key aspect to the evil empire taking over the galaxy. Three hours learning about the intricacies of intergalactic trade law was indeed an enjoyable three hours.

You can't like the idea of something, but not like the execution, because the original three Star Wars movies are the heart and soul of the other three movies, the video games, and any other media out there relating to the Star Wars franchise. If the only one you liked was Episode 1, then you were more concerned with trade law then actual Star Wars lore, because that's all Episode 1 was.

I'm not even going to mention how insulted I am that you find Luke annoying, though by writing this, I kind of just did.

Certified tech, come at me! Something I Noticed Watching Star Wars SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I recently went and watched Star Wars Episode VI and I loved it. I really don't see anything wrong with the star wars films except for some of the cheesyness you find in sci-fi films anyway, all of them had a great plot, great action (except for the lightsaber duel in episode IV, but to give them credit, they tried.), great soundtrack, and good character development. I understand the prequel trilogy didn't have as good character development for people like Anakin and Jar-Jar but there are people who appreciate them.

anyway I plan to watch the original trilogy backwards from episode 6.
    Currently Playing:

I actually read the original post of this thread. You basically re analyzed a movie after you've seen countless other things that have had characters who outshine those from the original Star Wars movies. and I'm ending my post right now.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Chief Inspiring Officer Something I Noticed Watching Star Wars Cyanist's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh come on! You've gotta recognize how much trouble and humiliation he went through to make that film!
    Heh, did you guys see the special features? George Lucas was so disappointed by that Cantina scene "It was my dream, it was supposed to be a bar where dozens of aliens crowded around, but I look and I see we have a guy in a cricket costume behind the bar..."
    Also, did you know the producers actually suggested they put boxer shorts on Chewy? Something about indecent exposure. LOL! hahaha!
    Anyway, the guy was constantly having trouble being taken seriously during filming, it got to the point where he screamed at people so much that he got a sore throat. (oddly enough, nobody noticed...)

Oh, and Princess Leia wasn't allowed to wear a bra...

Quote Originally Posted by Christ Eastwood View Post
    You're right, Episode I really was the only good Star Wars movie. I especially liked learning about the trade federation. Separatists disputing about trade routes to outlying star systems was a very important key aspect to the evil empire taking over the galaxy. Three hours learning about the intricacies of intergalactic trade law was indeed an enjoyable three hours.

You can't like the idea of something, but not like the execution, because the original three Star Wars movies are the heart and soul of the other three movies, the video games, and any other media out there relating to the Star Wars franchise. If the only one you liked was Episode 1, then you were more concerned with trade law then actual Star Wars lore, because that's all Episode 1 was.

I'm not even going to mention how insulted I am that you find Luke annoying, though by writing this, I kind of just did.
    I have no problem with the first three movies, they just aren't something I personally enjoy. However, I do like the idea of the force, jedi and sith, the lightsabers, and the different alien species. That being said, I've never taken to the characters or the plot of the first three movies, they aren't bad, they just aren't for me. A lot of the epicness of a story is lost for me when the hero is some "chosen one" because as soon as that happens, I no longer feel like the struggles matter. I've found claiming a character a "chosen one" is essentially saying "they will win no matter what because it's what they are destined to do. One of the things I like about Phantom Menace is that because Qui-gon and Obi-wan are not immediately destined to succeed, their struggles feel more significant. I have also enjoyed several of the games born from the Star Wars franchise, namely Kotor, Kotor 2, and the old republic mmo. I am able to respect that none of these would be here if not for the original trilogy, but that doesn't mean I have to like them. It's possible to appreciate the impact something has left, even if it spawns from something you don't enjoy. Please don't try to tell me what I can and cannot think.

Boxer of the Galaxy Something I Noticed Watching Star Wars Rowan's Avatar
    Something that always put me off star wars was the heavy political aspect of which the storyline constantly emphasised on. Which is why LOTR IS WAY BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Something that always put me off star wars was the heavy political aspect of which the storyline constantly emphasised on. Which is why LOTR IS WAY BETTER.
    Star Wars has Lightsabers.

Also LOTR is boring.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by loaf View Post
    Star Wars has Lightsabers.

Also LOTR is boring.
    Hi, my name is Mark hamill and I play Luke Skywalker. I also cant act for shit. Im Mark hamill.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Something I Noticed Watching Star Wars Xanatos's Avatar
    I don't recall original trilogy having much if any politics, the prequel trilogy on the other hand... yea, discussion about taxation and trade routes is not quite what I wanted to see in Star Wars.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Still doesn't beat Lightsabers.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by loaf View Post
    Still doesn't beat Lightsabers.

A lightsaber isn't going to save you from the wrath of Sauron.