Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Smart purchase, or bad idea?

The Bad Boy of TFF Smart purchase, or bad idea? Block's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    I'm a big FF fan
    You and everyone else here I believe. Gunblade though? Maybe I'm outta line here, but **** Squall. HARD.

Squall & Cloud are my two favorite FF characters.

I acknowledge your opinion, however. And like the famous quote, "ducks."
    Proud to be in the United States Navy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Moog
    You haven't lived until you've taken a shit so massive you quacked.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    I've bought a few replica swords, all sucked epic wang and none had a decent resell value. Don't get me wrong, they're great for hanging on display or whatever half the time, but if you want to muck around with them, not good.

I recommend getting a set custom made from one of the proper sellers on ebay (if their location is Hong Kong, not the real deal). They take a few months to be made and get sent to you, but the swords are incredible quality, often unique depending on the creator, and many let you choose from materials/designs you want incorporated. They'll set you back a decent amount of money but they have a high resell value so it's all good.

My personal set consisting of a Katana, a Wakizashi and a Tanto are predominately stormy blue and feature designs incorporating Hawaiian flowers and Dragons. They're definitely not traditional looking and I've had a few people eye them as interesting.

Oh and as far as gunblades go, ask to handle one before you buy it. A good majority of the ones I have seen were that bad the gun part seperated from the blade with very little effort.
    victoria aut mors

I definitely do want quality swords. Some I want to swing, others I want to display.

I doubt I can get a Buster Sword that I can swing w/out breaking, but I do want high quality.
    I'll check out your suggestion, silver. I highly, highly dislike rattails (metal of blade only extends to hilt, which is screwed on)

Save yourself some money Ruin, craft it yourself. Since your favorite characters are the all mighty Cloud and Squall you can make a The Gunsword. Gunblade look but the Bustersword size with 3 materia holes, yea, 3.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

I'll make you famous Smart purchase, or bad idea? Rydia Lover's Avatar
    well the reason you arent gonna find any good quality replicas of any prop from a final fantasy game is because square enix hasnt given a liscense to anyone to make one. any that you would buy would be illegal and crappy quality anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermetal
    But I think this girl is uber hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumour.Delirium
    You ARE my number one, Rydia Lover. <3
    current games playing:
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Assassins Creed Revolutions
    Saints Row: The Third
    Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3
    Fallout New Vegas

Delivering fresh D&D 'brews since 2005 Smart purchase, or bad idea? T.G. Oskar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Loaf View Post
    Save yourself some money Ruin, craft it yourself. Since your favorite characters are the all mighty Cloud and Squall you can make a The Gunsword. Gunblade look but the Bustersword size with 3 materia holes, yea, 3.
    Uh...sure... It's gonna be cheaper to find a proper furnace to heat close to 1000 degrees Fahrenheit, then finding the exact procedure on how to forge the blade. Given that it's a cleaver, the best idea would be a folded steel blade, full tang, and hammered so that it becomes solid enough. It will be enough of a pain to find iron, let alone make the proper alloy. I think the end result will be far more expensive than buying one, or at least more than $120.

And if you're speaking of Gunblade...try to find a revolver of the size of the Gunblade. I think not even a Colt has that size; let alone the sacrilegious act of sawing off the barrel and altering the cylinder so that it becomes the blade's tang. After that, make a properly forged blade to allow minimal damage from vibration, since the whole thing will be a vibration-based blade.

Now...if you intend to make it out of cheap aluminum foil and stuff...I don't stop you, but rest assured it'll be pretty sucky. To mention the least.

In either case; the one you showed isn't exactly bad, if the intention is to show it off. It looks quite similar to the base sword, it's 440 (which isn't bad for replica blades), it's full tang (or so it says, so you don't risk rat-tail tangs), and it's heavy but well-proportional. It's good quality as far as I can tell, and that's saying a lot.

Custom-made swords are more than simply expensive; they are overrated. You can get great quality replicas if you know the right people (I can say Museum Replicas Limited has great quality replicas, and if you want pretty much the real deal, go have a look at WKC). Can't do much if you don't show a blademaker the specifics of the weapon, which implies having a rough guess at the full blade's size, width, thickness and blade length (which is different from hilt length), not to mention the proper materials for it (I'd say high carbon steel for the blade, another kind of steel for the guard, and perhaps some sort of plastic hilt, because the hilt is glossy but opaque. And even then, it all depends on the blademaker's skill; I doubt someone will actually attempt to do a blade that has a width of more than 3 inches, let alone 7, through simple folding. Some might be courageous, but not that much.

Then again, if the blademaker knows how to make katanas or axe heads, you might hit the jackpot and get a properly hand-forged folded steel Buster Sword...
    Delivering scathing wit as a Rogue using Sneak Attack.

Pester me on the Giant in the Playground Forums if you really need me.

The Final Boss Theorem:
    The size of the ultimate form of the final boss is inversely proportional to it's chances of actually beating your party. If you agree with this, please copy and paste this valuable piece of info on your sig. AND, if you're evil and villainous...never settle for a big form when a smaller form is more kickass...

'Tis a shame I can only place names now...:
    Silver, Omnitense, Govinda, Aerif, Meier Link,
    (whatever is the name of) The Stig, Grizzly, Fishie,
    Craven, Spiral Architect, Flash AND Froggie.

Spaces still available. Join today!!

Nomu-baka, this is FAR from over...:

Good point, no Buster Sword is legit, due to the license still being hold by SE.
    Hopefully, the one I'm buying is of decent quality.

EDIT: Seen Oskar's post.

Ok, ill definitely check the websites you mentioned, and hopefully I can find a crafted of moderate skill. if I do manage to find someone who can fold 7" of metal, while keeping it at the right temperature and right density, Ill get his/ her info to give to you guys. Someone of that magnitude must be let known.
    Last edited by Zerobanshee; 01-25-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Why get a sword when you could throw in a few extra bucks for a lightsabre!?!

But seriously, go with frostmourne or sword of time as they look cooler
    Last edited by nix; 01-26-2010 at 06:38 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2