Thread: Scottish Independence

#LOCKE4GOD Scottish Independence Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Scottish Independence

The votes have been cast, the polls are closed. A countdown has begun and we will soon know Scotland's decision on whether to remain part of the United Kingdom.

What are your thoughts, comments, funny pictures on the matter?

I'm all for Scottish independence. There is a massive disparity of political opinion between Scotland and the rest of the UK, which serves neither well. I'm generally in favour of devolution, on the premise that the more directly responsible a political appointee is the the people they are representing, the better they will be represented. I think Scotland is more than capable of it, given New Zealand is a similar size, punches above its weight, and no one would ever dream of reneging on our independence from Great Britain. Interestingly, this decision also has ramifications for the debate about whether NZ should change its flag (with Union Jack)... which is in turn tied into the debate about whether we should be a republic and leave the British Commonwealth entirely.

I also hope they then change passport policy: at the moment you can get a UK passport if a grandparent or parent was born in the UK. That's a nice passport to have. If Scotland becomes independent however, it'd be sweet if they changed that to great-grandparents born in Scotland, then join the EU. Then I could get a Scottish passport and live and work in the EU.

Here's a good interactive to follow along as the votes are tallied: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ull?CMP=twt_gu

As of now, one council has declared, 46.2% yes, 53.8% no, 88.6% turnout.
    Last edited by Alpha; 09-18-2014 at 05:53 PM.

What currency would they use?
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

I invented Go-Gurt. Scottish Independence Clint's Avatar
    Isn't Scotland part of the European Union? Even if it breaks away from the UK, I don't see why it would leave the EU. I'm assuming they'd just use the Euro. Or they could go back to the Pound Scots, their currency prior to 1707, but I doubt they'll do that.

As far as Scottish independence goes, if they want to break away from the United Kingdoms, they should. If the Scottish people feel that it would benefit their nation to be a separate and independent entity, then it should be a separate and independent entity. I'm not too keen on politics in Europe, so I can't make a definitive statement, but I'm all for people benefiting their country.

#LOCKE4GOD Scottish Independence Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Scotland is currently, as part of the UK. If the yes vote wins, it will not automatically be a member. It will in effect have to re-apply. I could actually be wrong about the passport stuff I mentioned above. I'm going off what I read on Twitter, which in retrospect was a terrible idea.

There is some irony in voting for independence, and then signing up to be part of the EU (and then having to take certain orders from Brussels, which is surely less relevant than London). We'll have to see what happens. Looks at the moment as if the no vote is going to win anyway.

HRH Albha Scottish Independence Aerif's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well the no vote won.

But in reality it doesn't really feel like anyone has won. There has been speculation about the number of voters who decided to vote 'no' after the three major Westminster parties promised additional powers for Scotland, but on results day that has already led to announcements of back-benchers announcing they will vote against giving Scotland additional powers.

There are anti-Catholic Ulster Loyalists parading around the centre of Glasgow - as you've probably all seen on the news. Alex Salmond, the leader of the SNP and the First Minister of Scotland has resigned. Things are going to shit.

I am disappointed in what the people have chosen. There are hopes of the UK becoming a federation - like there always has been - and a lot of talks about constitutional re-shuffling at the minute.

But you can trust politicians as far as you can throw them.

Banners and Stuff:

˙uɐɔ I ʍouʞ I <- uɐɔ I ssǝnƃ I¿sıɥʇ op I uɐƆ

Last signature update: 02/08/2014

They should have just aired Braveheart frequently in the month leading up to the voting, no campaign won because they instilled financial fears in all of the Scotts

And now for a joke..

An Irish man and two english men walk into a bar.....

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How many Scots does it take to change a light-bulb?
    ...All of them, because they're not independeeeent!

I tried not to laugh the first time I heard that. First joke I've heard about the results. Which I was actually surprised by - I honestly thought more people would have voted in favour of becoming independent. Still, almost half of Scotland wants independence, and that's something Westminster needs to take on board. Hopefully they'll live up to their promises, but you can't trust politicians.

On the bright side? Everyone's flags will still look pretty for now!

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.