Thread: Perfume Profiles

Sir Prize Perfume Profiles Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Perfume Profiles

I'm doing a study of the aromatic qualities of essential oils distilled from certain plants and their place in perfumes that we see on store shelves. Distinctly each perfume has a top, middle and base chord of scents. Each chord contains no less than four scents. The top chord lasts only a few seconds after exposure. The middle chord appears after the top chord has faded and lasts only an hour or two. The base chord follows and can endure a couple of days. These are generally arranged by molecule size and by quantities used.

Traditional perfumes have only twelve notes. Modern perfumes can have much more. The perfume as a whole is designated by terms of it's ingredients as any variation of either Floral, Fresh, Oriental or Woody notes.

I won't bore you with the details of which plants I'm studying and where they fit in all this. Or any stupidity like Soliflore scents and ambergris. But I am interested to kind of poll the forum as to their favorites.

Floral perfumes, deal with all essential oils containing flower scents. Fresh perfumes can include sea fragrances to citrus or even grassy scents. Wood notes come from barks like cinnamon or earthy notes like leather and tobacco. Oriental have their origins...of course in the east, ala Patchouli and etc...

What perfumes/colognes do you use/like...what scent profiles do they have? And why must I kill the random person who mentions Axe or Bod?

-Sin(sharpening knife)
    Last edited by Sinister; 04-28-2010 at 11:06 PM.

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Re: Perfume Profiles

I just use a cheap antiperspirent deodorant or aftershave mostly and would usually go for the one that doesn't have a foul perfume-like smell.

In terms of smokes/incense though, wood notes and oriental would likely be my favourites based on what you've written. I guess I don't mind floral scents neither as I notice several of my scented oils tend to be plant based with one of my favourites being Violet (though even then I only use a drop or two with the water as I don't like those smells too powerful).
    victoria aut mors

Registered User Perfume Profiles

I've only really used one perfume my entire life: Tommy Girl. I get a bottle of it nearly every year for Christmas, and it's just something that I'm used to wearing. It's not too heavy, but you can tell that I'm wearing it. I also don't have to spray too much of it, because a little does go a long way for me.

Haha... I actually sprayed some on my wrist just now so I can give an accurate description of what it's like: It has a flowery scent to it, but also perhaps a bit of a citrus fruity smell as well? The scent sort of changes a bit each time I take a whiff, alternating between a stronger floral scent to a more noticeable fruit scent.

I've never analyzed my perfume like this before. It was pretty interesting to do so.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Sir Prize Perfume Profiles Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    I just use a cheap antiperspirent deodorant or aftershave mostly and would usually go for the one that doesn't have a foul perfume-like smell.

In terms of smokes/incense though, wood notes and oriental would likely be my favourites based on what you've written. I guess I don't mind floral scents neither as I notice several of my scented oils tend to be plant based with one of my favourites being Violet (though even then I only use a drop or two with the water as I don't like those smells too powerful).
    Dragon's Blood, right? lol Some of the floral scented incense can get a little too intense for me.

As for cologne, I usually use Oriental. For example I prefer Pierre Cardin's. You can catch the patchouli and oakmoss in the base. It has bergamot and some other citrus but they tend to fade kind of quickly. I suppose it's my signature blend, because I once mentioned how I liked it to a member of my family and all of a sudden I have an inexhaustible supply.

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Imperius Rex Perfume Profiles Storm's Avatar

I don't often wear perfume, however I do have a couple that I like. I have one called Escada Moonsparkle, which does sound a bit like a name for a My Little Pony, but it is a very nice, quite fruity scent, and it comes in a nice purple/magenta gradient bottle. I have a vanilla/coconut scented one too, which I cannot remember the name of.

I like perfumes to have more of a natural sweet smell, and I absolutely despise musky scents. As for scented oils, I am a big fan of herbal scents. I love lavendar, thyme, rosemary, pachouli, and ylang ylang. Another scent I love is bamboo.
    PSN username: Raikujaku
    A meow-ed member of PRK9

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Perfume Profiles Polk's Avatar

Every morning I fry up a pound of bacon, let the grease cool, and apply it liberally to the entirety of my body. Who needs cologne or deodorant when you can smell like meat?

Dogs really like me, by the way.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

.............. Perfume Profiles smurphy's Avatar

I find the scent of most colognes overwhelming and always feel a little nauseous wearing them so I only use the Lynx Africa(in quite liberal doses) deodarant. Mind I have been using that for the last seven years so I probably should find a new alternative.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    Winston S.Churchill

The Lone Dagger Perfume Profiles Xithor's Avatar

I usually don't use cologne but when I do I have the Fierce sent by I wanna say Abercrombie and Fitch? I don't use it so much I don't even know who makes it...it might be Hollister...eh wtv.

As far as scents to put in a room I like the citrus scented stuff and the oriental scents as well, they are calming I feel

Wanna Know More:
    Like Kingdom Hearts? Come join the Black Dawn RP!

My latest videos:
    DBZ AMV - Breathe Into Me
    Final Fantasy XIII - My Hands
    Kingdom Hearts - Stand My Ground
    Naruto - Way Away
    Other Videos on my YouTube Channel: Xithor22's Channel

Registered User Perfume Profiles Rebekah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie16 View Post
    I've only really used one perfume my entire life: Tommy Girl. I get a bottle of it nearly every year for Christmas, and it's just something that I'm used to wearing. It's not too heavy, but you can tell that I'm wearing it. I also don't have to spray too much of it, because a little does go a long way for me.

Haha... I actually sprayed some on my wrist just now so I can give an accurate description of what it's like: It has a flowery scent to it, but also perhaps a bit of a citrus fruity smell as well? The scent sort of changes a bit each time I take a whiff, alternating between a stronger floral scent to a more noticeable fruit scent.

I've never analyzed my perfume like this before. It was pretty interesting to do so.
    Wow there goes my post! Somehow we use the exact same perfume! I used to not like wearing it but my mom likes me to so I got used to it. My mom wears the same kind so we just share.

Gingersnap Perfume Profiles OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oooooh. It seems like the scents that work best with the way I already smell are warm or earthy scents, with the occasional herbal or citrus. I can enjoy sweet or floral smells, even the occasional perfume smells, but they just don't really work on me as often.

My favorite smells usually include amber, sandalwood... coconut, black currant, fig. I also enjoy lemon, bergamot, lemongrass, and sage smells. I love the smell of eucalyptus, but more for aromatherapy and not as a personal scent. Floral scents I will make an occasional exception for: rose, jasmine, honeysuckle, gardenia.

And I do have one bottle of perfume that I've had since high school. Chance by Channel. It has some good olfactic associations, and I spray some in the air and walk through it occasionally. Sprayed on directly and immediately after, it's a bit much. But after it's settled, it's pleasant.

So.... I guess Oriental and Fresh scents. That's me.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

The Bad Boy of TFF Perfume Profiles Block's Avatar

It's all about the Old Spice deodorant. It smells like classy.

Bananarama Perfume Profiles Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm lazy, so I'll just post up the descriptions of what I wear, straight from a site.

Curve: Soul

The fragrance starts with notes of hydroponic bamboo and green apple, blended with citrus. The heart unveals lavender, geranium, and masculine floral notes. The drydown is a sensual combination of earthy and woody notes.

Perry Ellis Reserve

Reserve is classified as a refreshing, spicy, lavender, amber fragrance. This masculine scent possesses a blend of fresh and aromatic, florals and herbs with warm low notes of amber, musk and wood.

On girls, I prefer ligher scents, like vanilla, and really can't stand when a girl goes overboard with it.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

I like citrus scents so my favourite perfume is Clinique Happy. I also quite like Elizabeth Arden Green Tea because it's a fresh, clean smell.

Don't give me anything musky, woody or sweet.
    You are entitled to your wrong opinion.