Thread: Nutritional Supplements & Meal Replacements

don't put your foot in there guy SOLDIER #819's Avatar

Nutritional Supplements & Meal Replacements

Do you take anything more unusual than your standard (cheap) multivitamin? Love them? Hate them? Don't care Any interesting/odd/good/bad experiences? Followed/following any sort of diets that consist of shakes/bars/etc.? Anything else you can think of?

Using these seem to be pretty common for people who use the gym for anything other than normal cardio. I think some of us had a similar conversation in an MSN convo once.

As for me... almost all of the above. Recently I went on a 5-day shake diet that I thought I would never go on.* It's supposed to be a sort of cleansing diet that also gets your body used to having low glycemic (slow digesting, usually high fiber) diet. The diet itself and hell associated with not eating "real" food aside... the stuff didn't taste bad. Except for their strawberry ver. of the shake has and probably always will taste like Pepto-bismol.

It did seem to make somewhat of a difference afterward. Cravings for a lot of things dropped and my appetite went down. Not too traumatizing. Ended up learning how much of a gift good food really is.

I used to take cheap Kirkland vitamins from Costco and somehow managed to make them last month. Whether or not they actually help (some people like the all-natural thing) I wouldn't know. When I did the shake diet, however, the company that made them provided me with some of their own vitamins to take. If you trust their word (not going to say that they're right), they absorb very well unlike most vitamins.

One of the more visible side effects and prob TMI is that your urine turns a sort of bright yellow at first when your body has an adequate or maybe excess amount of one or various types of Vitamin B. Never saw that before...

*Already aware that a balanced diet is the best thing ever and that all foods have their place in moderation, but will probably get to hear it again.
    Last edited by SOLDIER #819; 03-15-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda
    just turn off your PS3 or 360 go to your dust tomb and say you'll give birth to 1500 people a day for the 1000 that'll be killed until the doors to hades open and you can pull out ar tonelico and turn on that glorous PS2 and be bathed in its radiant warm glow

Re: Nutritional Supplements & Meal Replacements

Protandim. Since this isn't ID that's all I'm gonna really say.

It's a pill that has all real good for you naturdal ingredients. As far as doing their pyramid scam...that's up to you.

Pretty much the pill allows you to have a stress level of that of an infant...(of course taking it every day)

Some Free Radical destroyer thing.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Magically Delicous Nutritional Supplements & Meal Replacements Merlin's Avatar

I have two Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard protein shakes during the day with 8oz of egg whites, one 30 minutes before breakfast and one right after my workout. The second one I also add a serving of Optimum Nutrition Creatine. I take in around 150-200g of protein a day, most from "real" food, especially boneless skinless chicken breasts. The average person doesn't even need protein shakes... it's only helpful if you weight lift.

I've done quite a bit of research and from what I have discovered, many of the protein shakes out there have lead and other nasty metals in them and most of the creatine out there is cheap crap which doesn't work worth a damn and doesn't dissolve properly. I'm not trying to be a sponsor for Optimum Nutrition by any means, its just the only one I've found to be "safe" to use and actually do what it says. I suggest anyone who wishes to take supplements to do your homework and not buy into the hype out there. Talk to the top trainers in gyms and people who do body building competitions. These people know wtf they are doing more than you, run the gamut on supplies, and can recommend what works and doesn't work. They'll probably even teach you the proper way to eat depending on what you are going for.

And yes S, that diet sounds very suspicious to me. The best diet is what you are willing to live with and what you are willing to live without. Going cold turkey on everything you love is the worst possible thing you can do as you will be right back on the bad food band wagon. All these "diets" are hogwash and don't work in the long run. Limit everything to serving size proportions and exercise and you can eat what you want. You can still have "bad" food, you just don't need to eat a pint of ice cream or 15 cookies. Most people's problem is that they just eat too much.

Now, I did all that but I decided to take it further. What I did was systematically eliminate each bad food one-by-one until I was left with a healthy diet. First up was fast food and soda. That was eliminated back when I stopped working for them. I then moved on to refined and processed starches like white bread. That one was hard because I hated the taste of wheat. I went with whole wheat bread with honey to get around it. This is where it gets tricky as people grab the "wheat" bread but it isn't whole grain. It's white bread with wheat blended in. STILL BAD(and tastes bad). Right now the only bad food I still have is the two pieces of candy I eat a day and the occasional two Oreos. I limit it to a serving size and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I have two Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard protein shakes during the day with 8oz of egg whites, one 30 minutes before breakfast and one right after my workout.
    Oh, I think that's the one I was using up until now. Double Chocolate is one of the flavors right? It was always on sale and seemed like one of the better things out there as far as relatively carb-free protein supplements go. Muscle Milk was always too heavy. I'd add an oatmeal and/or banana and nuts on certain occasions. Milk felt like it would be overkill so I just used water, but I bet most people wouldn't be able to stand the taste with that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin
    And yes S, that diet sounds very suspicious to me. The best diet is what you are willing to live with and what you are willing to live without. Going cold turkey on everything you love is the worst possible thing you can do as you will be right back on the bad food band wagon.
    I'm pretty suspicious of any diet like it, but putting that aside the crash wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Even during the diet I would go to fast food, sushi, etc. and somehow managed to resist eating anything from those places. It's not something that I realistically could do for more than those 5 days, nor is it intended to be long term, but in the end it did what it advertised it would. Lost the ~5 pounds and I will hopefully never have to do it again.
    Last edited by SOLDIER #819; 03-15-2011 at 05:57 PM.
    just turn off your PS3 or 360 go to your dust tomb and say you'll give birth to 1500 people a day for the 1000 that'll be killed until the doors to hades open and you can pull out ar tonelico and turn on that glorous PS2 and be bathed in its radiant warm glow

Gingersnap Nutritional Supplements & Meal Replacements OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Me! I do.

Prograde is my supplement website. I take their multi-vitamin every day, and I really like it. It's made from whole foods instead of synthetic vitamins, which is great (whole foods absorb better then synthetics, like you mentioned).

And sometimes I take a supplement with green tea, cinnamon, and some other things that are good for spiking metabolism. I take that every now and then as a boost.

I do a lot of training with free weights. And the way I do it, it gets my heart rate up (high intensity sets with short breaks for a shorter amount of time), but I do still enjoy some light cardio in the form of running on a treadmill for 20 minutes every so often. It's relaxing to me. So after something like that, yeah, I have a whey protein concoction, usually with kefir and coconut milk involved.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ugh. When I was younger, I was force fed Cod Liver Oil capsules by my nan. She tried giving me the bottled version, and I threw up all over the living room carpet shortly afterwards when she was combing my hair for school. Bonus: I got the day off school, and I was never given it again.

Sometimes my mum buys some Vitamin C tablets. I like those. I've always liked them. If I had it my way, I'd eat them like candy. But that wouldn't do much good. So when we have them, I take one after a meal. My mum got it in her head once that I needed some Vitamin D ones too, because I don't like being out in the sun, and that didn't last very long.

I've never really dieted either, so that's about it. I can never stick with a diet. My body seems to gain and loose weight without any help from me, so I kind of give up. I'm not perfect, but I'm happy how I am.

Also, weird fact: I actually liked that grass shake thing that looks like pond water. I mean, drinking loads of it was disgusting, but I didn't really mind it. Better than Cod Liver Oil any day of the week.

EDIT: And I drink green tea like... everyday. If that counts.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Sir Prize Nutritional Supplements & Meal Replacements Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ever eat bullshit in pill form? Or a placebo? Yeah. You could cast a magic spell, carry a lucky rabbit's foot or eat vitamins. You just don't absorb all those nutrients like a well-balanced diet.

I mean, I'm sure it helps a bit. But you're talking about the possibility of vitamin toxicity...it upsets some people's stomachs and it isn't a practical delivery system. I took them myself at one point and once again, I'm sure it helps. But I don't buy into it. Now, living on campus, I take a few supplements, yes, but I'm MORE careful to eat well.

P.S. Green Tea is an excellent source of antioxidants.

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Quote Originally Posted by SOLDIER #819 View Post
    Oh, I think that's the one I was using up until now. Double Chocolate is one of the flavors right? It was always on sale and seemed like one of the better things out there as far as relatively carb-free protein supplements go. Muscle Milk was always too heavy. I'd add an oatmeal and/or banana and nuts on certain occasions. Milk felt like it would be overkill so I just used water, but I bet most people wouldn't be able to stand the taste with that alone.
    Yeah, Muscle Milk is only good if you're trying to add some fat on your off-season, if you're a body builder. They don't use that during the season though because they then burn all that fat off. It's "padding" to keep you from destroying as much muscle. It just depends on what you are going for.

I get Optimum Nutrition off of Amazon.com with their auto-shipping service which makes it super-cheap. No I'm not advertising them, just saying its a good deal compared to buying it from GNC or other places. Plus I don't have to think about it. My container is about to run out and another appears on my doorstep. ^^

And Sinister, yes you shouldn't use vitamin supplements as your only source. They are good for people who are working towards improving their meal plans to include healthier choices. You can't expect people to just magically start eating perfect. They'll never stay on it.

As for protein shakes, the good ones do help. Is it as good as eating a boneless skinless chicken breast? No... but there's only so much chicken, fish, and beans I want to eat in a day to get the protein I need for my workouts. Most people don't even need protein shakes as they get enough through normal food. For those of us who want to make gains, it helps.

Sir Prize Nutritional Supplements & Meal Replacements Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I suppose that depends, Merlin. I, for one, never really have the presence of mind to remember to take them(vitamins) anyway. And I know I'm not alone in this. But when I'm hungry, I remember to eat, I just have to remember to eat well.

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Oh, vitamin D. I had been taking vitamin D daily because of the cold season earlier this year and accidentally took more than I should have one day. My lips started chapping up and burning like crazy that same day. I don't think anything else in my diet or that the weather changed much, so I assumed it was the supplement. I couldn't find any mention of a correlation though, so it was probably just coincidence.

It was the first time anything remotely like that happened, but I try to take more care now. I'm about as inattentive to taking vitamins as the average person, but I also seem to have trouble remembering when I do take them.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanEyes28 View Post
    And sometimes I take a supplement with green tea, cinnamon, and some other things that are good for spiking metabolism. I take that every now and then as a boost.
    Which supplement is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I get Optimum Nutrition off of Amazon.com with their auto-shipping service which makes it super-cheap.
    It is about $35 w/ shipping cheap?

Well protein powder in general isn't cheap, but if you compare it to the price of brick-and-mortar stores and other online places, it is a lot cheaper on average.

___________ Nutritional Supplements & Meal Replacements Kyreaan's Avatar

Whey protein, glutimen, wheat germ, brewer's yeast, pineapple, vanilla ice cream, soy milk, and peanut butter...hhhhmmmmmmmmmm

Chrono Cores:

Quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyreaan View Post
    I would skip the part about it being a 100lb box set and consider the relative mass to converted energy for the staircase. The style I would first choose is to go for the Aeronaut legos and calculate relative time and distance to the axis points within the electromagnetic field that could cross over warping into a wormhole given enough density converted into energy by using the funnelled power of the sun. Enough power may be derived not from the sun, but from the mass of an artificial, contained black hole connected to a semi-quantum theorized single vacuum tube for energy wave processing. You cause youself to fold inward and then collapse in on itself, while rematerializing into another universe or within the same universe with the rest of your ship. Your reference points will be the nearby astrology of wherever you ended up, as well as the age of the nearby stars relative to your current star maps. Go ahead and give me a call or send me an email if I am considered for the position. Thanks. It was nice meeting you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyreaan View Post
    I am slapping this thread up for an update. There was a petition set up at Petition Spot for .hack//Link (PSP). It says it is needing 50,000 signers, but it looks like they are asking for only 100 right now. This is asking for either an English patch or an English release towards both NA and Europe regions. It is the last game of the entire series.

.hack//Link English Localization- Petition Spot

The first two series, for those of you who don't read or know, were 7 volumes total and all for PS2. There was also an 8th; it was called .hack//Fragment Offline. A lot of people didn't know that I bet. Has anyone read any .hack manga? If you don't plan on getting Link and instead prefer to read, I recommend at least trying out .hack//Link Manga- Read .hack//Link Manga Online for Free at Manga Fox. Let me know what you think.

I invented Go-Gurt. Nutritional Supplements & Meal Replacements Clint's Avatar

I take no supplements and have absolutely no diet. I eat whatever the hell I want, because I really don't give a shit.

All supplements are are placebos. They don't actually do anything, and they don't actually have any nutritional value at all, so in a sense, they're essentially exactly like vitamin c tablets, considering that they don't do anything either.

The only vitamin worth taking in a pill form is Vitamin D. It's the only one that actually does anything, considering that if you work primarily inside, you don't get enough Vitamin D. And I would take it, but I don't have any, because they cost money, and I don't have any of that either.

Special diets aren't very healthy. For example, if you eat a protein rich diet, you may be taking in a lot of protein, and you may feel great, but chances are you're neglecting another vital food group. That's why I don't watch what I eat; because doing so is a pain in the ass. I just eat things.