Thread: Upcoming editorial

The Old Skool Warrior Upcoming editorial LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Upcoming editorial

Hey guys,
    Next week, I'm finally diving back into writing editorials again. I've seen a lot of fluff on the internet lately about how "Type-0 isn't a real Final Fantasy" and people saying things like "I'm not going to play FF again until they give us a real one" (even in reference to FFXV!!!!!!!!!!! right?!) sooooo I thought I would whip up a little something about what constitutes a "real" Final Fantasy game. Now, obviously as this is opinion, it'll be rife with some potentially contradictory opinions... and in an effort to include multiple viewpoints, I am interested in what other people have to say as well. I have reached out to some other journalists and some indie developers for some feedback, but I would also like to include you as well.

So, if you're interested, feel free to respond here or send me a PM with some brief statements regarding the following questions.

What is ONE feature that you personally identify as a core "Final Fantasy" ideal?

What is ONE thing that you would like to see different in Final Fantasy XVI when it comes along?

List up to five games with the "Final Fantasy" title that you would NOT include in the series, with brief reasons for their removal?
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Blog Entries
    What is ONE feature that you personally identify as a core "Final Fantasy" ideal?

The trouble with this question, in my opinion, is that there really isn't just one core feature or concept that I identify as being specifically "Final Fantasy ideal". I suppose if we want to be vague, the idea of "saving the world" has always been a main part of the franchise. If I have to go with one of the things I have always loved, it would probably be the world maps and exploration. The ability that they give you to explore this world and interact with it as well as follow the laid out story. This was also one of the things that bothered me with the first installment of the XIII series, that the story pulled you to where you had to go with no way to further explore the many areas available to you or even access them later.

But if we have to stick with something that stands out with Final Fantasy as a whole, I would probably go with the bit of how they actually tend to incorporate the "fantasy" aspect. Although each game has its own unique way that it gives this different reality to the viewer, they all share similarities in that the blend of technology and magic is shown in every aspect of the game. VII, with its materia and the people of the Cetra. VIII with the Guardian Forces and Sorceresses, Esthar another leading example. IX with the diverse and quirky races, the idea that summoners are a race on their own, the Black Mages especially. X with the creation of Sin and Yevon, the Aeons themselves and the severe LACK of technology due to the condition of their world. I could go on. But the main aspect is that all of these things are blended together into the story that is intricate and detailed, with things you learn every time you play through. But another outstanding effect that all of these games have in common? Balance. The balance of good and evil, the balance of technology and nature, of destruction and rebirth. Maybe it's the influence of its creators and the culture that perpetuates in their background, but there is always an imbalance that must be fixed and always a lesson to be learned. That makes these games great, at least in my opinion.

What is ONE thing that you would like to see different in Final Fantasy XVI when it comes along?

One of the things that I have always loved is the ability to choose. Perhaps with changes to the storyline or how it plays out for the characters; alternate endings could even be a possiblity! I understand that the use of "fate" or "destiny" has always been part of the reoccurring theme in Final Fantasy, but for those of us who are still with the series from its early days, additional playthroughs for alternate or additional information would be glorious. Maybe not even alternate endings, so much as unlocking more of the world. Maybe a way to learn more of its history or learn the background of the characters more thoroughly.

Character interaction, even with the NPC's, has always strongly motivated me with these games. In VIII, as you played through the storyline and different scenarios occur, the NPCs throughout the area will have different responses than the first time you may have interacted with them. This was interesting to see and made the world seem more in depth. The concept that these people could be just as important as the main characters, reminds you that sometimes the heroes were just normal people too.

List up to five games with the "Final Fantasy" title that you would NOT include in the series, with brief reasons for their removal?

I don't particularly consider the Theatrhythm games part of the "Traditional" series. They're more like a cute little spin-off to cater to those who love the music in these games. I typically compare them as a DDR for your fingers with Final Fantasy sprites. A good and typically relaxing game, but nothing that would be noted as a major point in the series. Not really something that would be needed for removal, but still not something that when recommending the series to anyone I would typically mention.

Although I did love the Dissidia games, I also had trouble considering them a major part of the series as well. The storyline was very loose and it was really catered more towards fighting enthusiasts than storyline players. Fun, but something you quickly lose interest in once you've gotten the major points in the game.

Really, most of the other games I can still consider part of the series in one way or the other. Granted, there are the few that I might consider their low points and find much less enjoyable but most of the main installments were good. I feel that Square needs to avoid the "Disney effect" and move away from making sequel type games. XIII's trilogy was a little long-winded for me, though I'll admit it wrapped up nicely. X-2 was a decent game but was mostly an add-on to avoid a particularly sad ending to its predecessor. Like most movies, the sequels are rarely ever as good as the first and truly they might benefit from it if they focused on the main game and maybe added little things they might have wanted to make a sequel for as additional content instead, something you can unlock once completing the main storyline.

People say Type-0 is not like an FF game yet it has basically everything the old fans want in an FF. The fans get something new and unrelated to the old games and fans get pissed, you make a new game with old school features and fans get pissed.....they just want FF7 again.

TYPE-0 HAS A WORLD MAP WE KNOW AND LOVE AND LITERALLY PEOPLE COMPLAIN THERE IS NO WORLD MAP...THEY GET A WORLD MAP THEY GET MAD.

Story

Can't say. Hard to say, haven't even seen what was changed in XV to say anything. XV needs to come out first.

I would just say FF13 lightning returns but I never played it. They are all FF games in their own way.
    Last edited by loaf; 03-20-2015 at 10:35 AM.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

The Quiet One Upcoming editorial Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah that confused me. I hadn't been looking everywhere, but I hadn't been hearing anything negative about it not being a FF game. Only negative that I'll give value to is that the camera is unfriendly to certain people. But yeah, it actually has a lot of things people consider core features for the series.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

I invented Go-Gurt. Upcoming editorial Clint's Avatar
    I heard good things about Type-0, but I think my problem with it is the problem many people have with it. It deviates from the standard Final Fantasy format in regards to the style and battle system. It's more of an action-RPG. If it wasn't labeled with the Final Fantasy moniker, nobody would have any problem with it.

Definitely the combat system. Most of the newer Final Fantasy games since XII have been a more real-time action-based system. Those types of combat systems take away a core aspect of the Final Fantasy experience, in that you no longer have time to strategize your assault against your enemy. It's essentially a button mashing system.

Also, the story and characters for the past few Final Fantasy games have been very stale and forgettable.

Less style and more substance. It seems like Square focuses on what the games look like as opposed to how they play. That definitely needs to change.

Final Fantasy XI and XIV, because online games ****ing suck. Final Fantasy XII, because the combat system was so horrible that it was unplayable. And then both the Crystal Chronicle games, and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

I want to play a game. Upcoming editorial Zargabaath's Avatar

This is a tough question. I find there to be multiple core aspects of Final Fantasy. Which one to choose as the top is difficult cause each plays its part to form a crystal.
    Story may be the core ideal. FF's tend to be a little different, a little more adventurous in story-telling in terms of being "outside the box".

High Fantasy. We have had a string of more technologically advanced FFs in varying degrees for a good while; FF IX brought it back. I would like to see something like in the original: Elves, Dwarves. Have the game be Tolkien inspired.

Any prequel or sequel for being a prequel or sequel. Each iteration would come out and that would be it - story done. Prequels and sequels can muddy the narrative water like FFX-2 ruined FFX's ending. It wasn't a happy ending and they don't need to have a happy ending. FFX's ending had emotional punch to it - Tidus disappearing after working so hard that Yuna would not be sacrificed it wound up causing him to "die".

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x