Thread: "Maturity"

Blog Entries

"Maturity"

Y'know, I'm pretty sure that, regardless of what you do, or how much of the aforementioned quoted word, the world is going to treat you a certain way, anyway. So why bother, eh? Why bother trying so much?

Like, am I wrong? I really don't feel like I am. I feel like we all have preconceived notions of each other, and regardless of what we experience the other doing, we think, "well, that's a fluke behavior, based on my perceived reality of their character."

I just feel like we're expected to play certain roles, and for the most part, we do. When we don't, the world is like, "Whoah! Slow down there, son!"

Fuck the world.

(Yes, I was at a party where I was drinking, lol...)

Boxer of the Galaxy "Maturity" Rowan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taco-Calamitous View Post
    Y'know, I'm pretty sure that, regardless of what you do, or how much of the aforementioned quoted word, the world is going to treat you a certain way, anyway. So why bother, eh? Why bother trying so much?

Like, am I wrong? I really don't feel like I am. I feel like we all have preconceived notions of each other, and regardless of what we experience the other doing, we think, "well, that's a fluke behavior, based on my perceived reality of their character."

I just feel like we're expected to play certain roles, and for the most part, we do. When we don't, the world is like, "Whoah! Slow down there, son!"

Fuck the world.

(Yes, I was at a party where I was drinking, lol...)
    A part of maturity (aside from personal responsibility) is how you respond to people.
    Some people wont judge you for being frustrated with other people, but displays of restraint are great examples of maturity.

Not sure if this is relevant to what you're inquiring though.

Blog Entries
    I think maturity comes more in line with responsibility than anything. Who cares if you got hammered on a Friday or Saturday night? If you're not working the next day, or driving on the way back, who cares? Do you go to your job, get there on time and do it well, then pay your bills on time without your parents help? If you do that, you're mature enough.

On a random note, it could be the shirts you're wearing. I get a ton of shit because I wear graphic tees all the time. I was also told that switching to simple, single color t-shirts can make a huge difference.

I get it, but I also don't really care. Sure I'll look more mature by wearing a plain shirt, but who cares if I'm wearing a Mets or Fallout t-shirt. I still have the same job, pay the same bills and have the same woman complaining about my shirts.

Shit, I'm polishing off a growler as I type this.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Blog Entries
    Honestly, I don't remember exactly what I was trying to get at, lol... I don't think it was totally to with "maturity," but more with preconceived notions of people. Like, looking like a nerd makes people think that you are a nerd, and will always behave like a nerd, and the times that you don't, I think they assume that it's either just a fluke, or you're trying to "be someone else," or something. I have no empirical evidence or studies to go off of, but that's just the sense I get sometimes, particularly when I'm feeling especially cynical, lol. I think it's even more true for people who know you, and you have to consistently act a different way in order for them to think of you differently (although that's probably justified).

I dunno. At the same time, I titled the thread "maturity," so apparently I thought that maturity had something to do with it. I think the part of my thought that related to maturity is that, once you reach a certain age, you're expected to act a certain way. Or dress a certain way, as Pete was getting at.

As to what Rowan was saying, some people really like restraint. Other people talk about "keeping it real," too, though, lol... Like, if any of you have seen the movie "The Descendents," at the time I saw it (and probably still now), I really liked George Clooney's character, because he showed a lot of emotional restraint, regardless of what he was going through or what the people around him were saying/doing to him. Some people thought he was "wooden," though.

Boxer of the Galaxy "Maturity" Rowan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taco-Calamitous View Post
    As to what Rowan was saying, some people really like restraint. Other people talk about "keeping it real," too, though, lol... Like, if any of you have seen the movie "The Descendents," at the time I saw it (and probably still now), I really liked George Clooney's character, because he showed a lot of emotional restraint, regardless of what he was going through or what the people around him were saying/doing to him. Some people thought he was "wooden," though.
    I couldn't take anyone serious who used the phrase "keeping it real". Implying that showing restraint is somehow faking something. Its the conscious manipulation of a situation in order to benefit you in every possible way. Restraint is the sword of the intellect.