View Poll Results: Keep the Humor/Word Games?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positive

15 41.67%
  • Negative

21 58.33%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Let's Be Civilized

Air from my lungs. Let's Be Civilized Violet's Avatar

Re: Let's Be Civilized

So, we've all discussed our thoughts on what's to be done regarding the WG/H and NSFW forums. Right now it's just a matter of time before an Admin sees this and takes action. I'm going to
    blowtorch/close this thread in the mean time, since all it's become is one big happy bitch fest. So for now, take this up in VMs, MSN, or PMs. Thanks.

EDIT: Actually, I'm going to leave the thread open for a little longer, since Merlin just brought up some points. I'd like to see what people have to say on that. So, post away. Again, be civilized.
    Last edited by Violet; 05-25-2010 at 09:03 PM.

Magically Delicous Let's Be Civilized Merlin's Avatar

Hey, if you want to disable WG, go for it dudes. It's not my decision anyway. I'll just give you a quick synopsis of what will happen. Once that forum is turned off, those topics will start magically appearing in GC, among other forums. At first, the mods will be busy closing them and throwing out warnings. They'll have to make a sticky thread in several forums and a global announcement telling people that "word games" are no longer acceptable anywhere on TFF and these messages will be ignored. These topics will continue to be posted until people start getting banned. People just like yourselves will begin standing up against this, claiming mod abuse. These topics were permissible before, why now are they suddenly not permissible? Even people in this very thread who agreed to remove that forum will start claiming that they wanted it closed down, but the topics to remain available, in some fashion or another, contradicting what has been said here. The staff will have to make a hard choice: Continue to warn/ban these people or re-open the forum in some fashion.

For the non-staffers, this is probably no big deal to you. You don't have to live with the consequences. They do. This is one fine example of why I hate forum politics. This has no good outcome.

-----
    As for the 18+ forum, I think the idea has no merit. I have seen plenty of NSFW topics in GC. Seriously, if you need to get more detailed then that you're at the wrong site. Such a forum is a violation of Fuzz's vision. I dislike Steve Jobs, but I'll have to agree with him on one point: If you want adult only material, go somewhere else. That is not what TFF is about.

edit: I have no clue why this is closed...but I was already writing my post and I'm not deleting it.
    Last edited by Merlin; 05-25-2010 at 08:54 PM.

Bass Player Extraordinaire Let's Be Civilized Joe's Avatar

I could care less about humor and word games being kept or abolished. Alternatively, you could do two subforums, one for logic puzzles and games, and one for humor/timewasting forum games. Alternatively you could make H/WG it's own forum, with it's own moderator, instead of also bogging down the GC mods with the subforum.

Instead of an NSFW board, why not something similar to Xkcd's setup? I've noticed under their general chat board, they have a Member Business type forum, which we already have, and a Love/Sex/Relationships forum, which is member's only. Member's of all ages go to that board for encouragement, advice, polls, etc, and it keeps it all in one place.

Something akin to /QQ/ or /adv/ from 420chan/4chan could be considered as well, for general advice/venting, as long as it's tastefully done. that could be an ID subsection, as I'd assume only serious posts would be allowed there with overly strict rules.

A news/current events forum/sticky might have merit as well, but I'm likely the only one who thinks so.

Just some ideas to toss out there while you fine people are here "deliberating and conjugating the emancipation proclamation." (Bonus points if you guess the show and episode the quote comes from).

I think we all agree that we need some way to stimulate activity in at least SOME manner.
    (TFF Family):

My TFF Family:
    My Anime Addicted sister Athna Loveil
    My Unspoken Scabbia Loving Bro Fishie
    My Godsmack addicted brother Omega Weapon
    My Kooky Soap opera addicted sister Rikkuffx
    My Kinky Chipmunk Cousin Unknown Entity, because, you know, cousins can still do stuff in certain states.
    My Twin-like bro Ruin_Tumult
    Craven
    Slots still available, PM to join!

Bananarama Let's Be Civilized Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I still think general chat should be more general. Joe's on the right idea, but all of that should still be in general chat. Hell, a CHAT about anything should be in general chat.

I fully agree with Meier saying there should be a regulated type of word games, but hell, add that to Gen chat. There is a difference between those retarded "guess what color I shat" word games that bring out the bottom of the barrel members, and fun stupid games like world domination.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Air from my lungs. Let's Be Civilized Violet's Avatar

I think there should be a limit to the amount of "Elimination" threads in the WG/H section. So like, from now on, just make it where only two elimination threads can be open at once: one FF elimination, and one other elimination. That would fix the whole 'elimination threads spamming WG/H' section. I could easily keep that under control.

don't put your foot in there guy SOLDIER #819's Avatar

Are the elimination threads really having an adverse impact on the forums? Other than them showing up on the Latest Post thing. I don't even bother going in there, so to me it's like they're not even there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda
    just turn off your PS3 or 360 go to your dust tomb and say you'll give birth to 1500 people a day for the 1000 that'll be killed until the doors to hades open and you can pull out ar tonelico and turn on that glorous PS2 and be bathed in its radiant warm glow

I don't get the whole anti-word games thing. I thought the problem was not enough freedom in the main GC forum rather than too much freedom in another.

What are we arguing about now?

Until now!

This ain't no place for no hero Let's Be Civilized Tiffany's Avatar

I dislike most topics in the H/WG forum. Although I've thought about this a bit more and now am of the opinion that if we axe the H/WG forum then all those spammy topics are going to flood GC?

That definitely doesn't sound appealing to me. I don't want to wade through 50 useless (to me, fun to others I suppose) threads to find something of merit that I would like to post in.

Just my 2.5 (reviewed) cents.

Lady Succubus Let's Be Civilized Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, the topics aren't going to flood GC.

Because if it does end up being axed, obviously the topics are going to all be pruned first.

I'm really confused how this helps anyone.

If we're just going to axe all the word game topics, won't we just be adding to those who find the current scope of what is considered a valid thread oppressive? Wasn't the point to increase the flexibility of GC? Am I just lost here?
    Last edited by Jin; 05-26-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Until now!

I figured that, was more thinking along the line that Pete (or was it Rocky? Can't remember who specifically...sorry!) mentioned about just having it all in one area. Like, instead of having them separate put them together?

Maybe I'm on glue this morning. Lemme see if I can find the post.

Aha! It was Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    I still think general chat should be more general. Joe's on the right idea, but all of that should still be in general chat. Hell, a CHAT about anything should be in general chat.

I fully agree with Meier saying there should be a regulated type of word games, but hell, add that to Gen chat. There is a difference between those retarded "guess what color I shat" word games that bring out the bottom of the barrel members, and fun stupid games like world domination.

That just seems to go in a circle. Where do we draw the line? How does one determine what is an acceptable "fun stupid" GC thread and what is an unacceptable "bottom of the barrel" GC thread? In the end, won't it still come down to the mods' discretion? Isn't that what started this whole thing in the first place?

We're trying to have our cake and eat it too here.
    Last edited by Jin; 05-26-2010 at 09:49 AM.

Until now!

Bananarama Let's Be Civilized Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's what I'd like to define. I know one members word game is another members bullshit spam thread, but there are some word games that can be fleshed out a little bit.

For instance, whats in your wallet. Why do you have what you do? Is there anything sentimental, do you even have a wallet? Shit like that.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Wouldn't that just replace one group of unhappy posters with another? What's to stop those who like "bullshit spam" threads from claiming mod oppression when their threads get closed?
    Last edited by Jin; 05-26-2010 at 12:35 PM.

Until now!

Hate to say it (okay, not reeeally) but Jin's right.

You can't please the masses, there's always going to be someone calling foul. So then it turns into a matter of who's opinion matters more? The ones who want quality threads or the ones who like having fun, spammy threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiff
    So then it turns into a matter of who's opinion matters more? The ones who want quality threads or the ones who like having fun, spammy threads?
    Well the latter's attempted revolution is what prompted the creation of this thread in the first place, but they've since receded into a rather moderate line, so who knows. Neither of those sides really exist of course, as everyone sees themselves as wanting quality threads which are fun, but no one can agree on what that means. Regardless, if we start deciding whose opinions matter more than others then we're right back where we started.

The revolution betrayed!
    Last edited by Jin; 05-26-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Until now!

Memento Rhapso Let's Be Civilized Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is sparta! Ocean Eyes was right in using my title in a post earlier lol
    Anyway, Mistress Victoria was right, this thread was is and will remain nothing. It was merely an attempt for everyone to voice their opinions and have them maybe make an opinion change/ strengthen with a mod on this. Now, people are just having a great circle of unpleasantness. Sorry for any controversy this has caused, it truly was meant to avoid that.
    Back to story, why not instead of a one week test drive of the new sub-forums, let's try a month?

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

Relax. With only a few exceptions, this thread has been relatively civilized. Especially compared with what preceded it.

Until now!

What are you folks actually asking for? I don't think you are all on the same page with this H/WG removal plan. If you remove that forum, two choices arise:
    • The WG threads will be allowed in GC.
    • The WG threads will not be allowed in GC.

Which is it? If you want them to stay, you're going to be hard-pressed to get the staff to agree to it, especially seeing as how those topics are basically engineered to boost post counts. Right now they are sequestered inside a forum with no permissions.

edit: Oh and the "wallet" idea is bogus. That is already a thread in GC.
    Last edited by Merlin; 05-26-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Blog Entries

The whole point of this thread is to choose to keep or remove word games entirely. The forum and the threads with it.

If the WG threads are kept, why bother getting rid of the forum at all? That'd just be stupid.

I don't believe it is. That's why I am asking... because if you read through these posts, there is a split between those who want such topics migrated and those who want them obliterated.

There is of course a third option that I would like to bring up. Instead of removing the H/WG forum, it could be moved directly underneath GC rather than inside it. The name could be changed to something like "Shenanigans" with a description of "Got an interesting word game or a random topic idea that just doesn't fit anywhere? Step right up."

Best of both worlds. All spammy threads/posts, including those currently in GC, can be there, while humor and topics that require more than 3-word posts can be in GC. If it stays it kinda should be separated anyway. I concur that seeing word games as the latest post every time is more than a bit disturbing.
    Last edited by Merlin; 05-26-2010 at 03:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Hmm.. That sounds like a viable solution that I can agree with.
    Sided with what Meier suggested, making them just a wee bit more strict or something like that, with like one elimination thread at a time and whatnot.

I vote for option 3. =O

Yes, they would need to be weeded down some. Elimination threads could be like tournaments.. you can only do one at a time or something. That forum could be made more palatable with some work put into it. I'm not a fan of spam but you cannot completely obliterate it without some sort of consequences. Spam is a constant problem on any board. You can either give yourself a heart attack trying to keep up with it, or mitigate the problem by giving them something constructive to do with their spam while still keeping it in check.

Blog Entries

I think Merlin really nailed it with the "option 3".

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

I definitely like Option 3 as well.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Merlin for President (so long as Pedro isn't in the running).
    Great idea though, simple and addresses the problem some were having directly (that of being even slightly exposed to WG/H titles, teh horrors).
    victoria aut mors

Ellipsis Let's Be Civilized Meigumi's Avatar
    Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

I don't really care for the Humor/Games forum, but that doesn't mean I don't want it to die, either.

I say Option 3.
    .....And I also stole that cupcake.

TFF Family~:

Ice-cream loving brother Fate
    The great benevolent dark lord Elyon Demidias
    Lovable doll ViviMasterMage
    Soul Stealing, Chaos-loving, Pom-pom eating older brother Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus
    The Awesome and Dashing Thief, ethan
    The Stealthy Swordsman of Poetic Power, genome's blade

Jeez, guys. Option 3 was brought up in the soapbox thread already. Way to ignore it there.

Until now!

So thanks are in order for me reminding people of the idea, yes?

I honestly didn't notice it in there. There was more angst in that thread than a bar full of Final Fantasy characters whining about how their lives were ruined when they had to run off to save the world. I skimmed through it at best. So hey, if someone wants to lay claim to the idea, go for it dudes. I'm not running for office... just throwing out suggestions. What you do with them is up to you.

edit:
    Obligatory Disclaimer: The angst comment was sarcasm. If you feel the symptoms of angst, anger, hate, anxiety, depression or any other emotion that could be deemed as "negative" by psychiatric definition after reading that sentence, please take a few moments to collect your thoughts and realize that it was to be taken lightly. Thank you for your time. I now return you to your topic. ^_^
    Last edited by Merlin; 05-26-2010 at 08:44 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    So thanks are in order for me reminding people of the idea, yes?

I honestly didn't notice it in there. There was more angst in that thread than a bar full of Final Fantasy characters whining about how their lives were ruined when they had to run off to save the world. I skimmed through it at best. So hey, if someone wants to lay claim to the idea, go for it dudes. I'm not running for office... just throwing out suggestions. What you do with them is up to you.

edit:
    Obligatory Disclaimer: The angst comment was sarcasm. If you feel the symptoms of angst, anger, hate, anxiety, depression or any other emotion that could be deemed as "negative" by psychiatric definition after reading that sentence, please take a few moments to collect your thoughts and realize that it was to be taken lightly. Thank you for your time. I now return you to your topic. ^_^
    I liked you better before you posted this. Your idea still rocks though!

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast