View Poll Results: Keep the Humor/Word Games?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positive

15 41.67%
  • Negative

21 58.33%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Be Civilized

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Re: Let's Be Civilized

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You can say the same exact thing about removing the Word Games forum and making Gen Chat more general. I just think that since the flaming forum went over so poorly, it's kind of an indicator of how this will go. I just think it will only create more divergence between members. People shat bricks when they discovered SOLDIER existed years ago.
    I totally agree about demolishing things that can cause a divergence between members. AXE THE HIDDEN SECTIONS TOO!
    victoria aut mors

Air from my lungs. Let's Be Civilized Violet's Avatar

Even though I voted nay for the WG/H forums, after seeing the points made by some of the members in this thread, I think it'd be silly to get rid of them. I mean, it seems as the years go by, we're just getting rid of all the extra add-ons to the forums. First the original store(y'know.. the fun one), then the rep, and now the Wordgame forums. When we switch over to the new layout, we're not going to have cash, store, arcades, or inventories either(unless Merlin can find mods). Personally, I don't use them and I know a lot of older members don't use them either. But if you truly want to appeal to new members, this place would look pretty dull. Axing the WG/H forums truly is just ruining some people's fun.

EDIT: But of course, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try anything, as said above. So, I'm all for the one week idea.
    Last edited by Violet; 05-25-2010 at 02:08 AM.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Ann brings up a very good point there.
    If we kill everything that makes the forums even slightly unique, what's the incentive for newer members to stay here over elsewhere? It could possibly lead to a decline in newer members staying or even stop some from deciding to sign up.
    victoria aut mors

Quote Originally Posted by Violet View Post
    Even though I voted nay for the WG/H forums, after seeing the points made by some of the members in this thread, I think it'd be silly to get rid of them. I mean, it seems as the years go by, we're just getting rid of all the extra add-ons to the forums. First the original store(y'know.. the fun one), then the rep, and now the Wordgame forums. When we switch over to the new layout, we're not going to have cash, store, arcades, or inventories either(unless Merlin can find mods). Personally, I don't use them and I know a lot of older members don't use them either. But if you truly want to appeal to new members, this place would look pretty dull. Axing the WG/H forums truly is just ruining some people's fun.
    I agree with this, I was gonna bring this up before when there was a topic about getting rid of ranks and stats but Ann said it already. All the "useless" stuff like our stats and ranks, is eye candy for new members. Same with VBcommerce, even though it can be a bad thing, where members just try to post crap for fake gil, (like what's his face... something ninja...) I'm on the fence about getting rid of it. Even though we think it's lame pointless, if I was a new member it would give me that much more to tinker with on the forum.

Wouldn't it make more sense to jazz up the little things like that if we're trying to get more members?

Ideekayyy.

And I still don't care about HWG lol.

EDIT: Also, that was worded it wrong earlier, there aren't people that [I]only[/I post in HWG forum, but spend the majority of their time there. Even though that's not adding activity to other areas of the forum, I don't know if that's fair to the people who enjoy it.

Again Ideekkaayyy
    Last edited by GypsyElder; 05-25-2010 at 02:14 AM.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Bananarama Let's Be Civilized Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I still think we're just adding bells and whistles and ignoring the main issue. If the content sucks, and there's not that much activity, people will get bored and leave regardless. It happens all the time. Granted we do have some people stay and become contributing members, I really think it's a case of "oh this place looks cool, I'll join" THEN, depending on the community, they decide to stay or bounce.

You can shine a piece of crap, but it's still a piece of crap.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

I don't think the content of TFF sucks at all, maybe lately there's been a lack of interesting topics but overall I don't think that's the issue.

All TFF needs is activity period.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

People just need to post more, me included. Sometimes, someone makes up a thread, either it's been done before or nobody cares to add on to it. How about, everybody opens up their imaginations for a while and see what they can come up with.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    I totally agree about demolishing things that can cause a divergence between members. AXE THE HIDDEN SECTIONS TOO!
    What's a hidden section?
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Shake it like a polaroid picture Let's Be Civilized RagnaToad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    What's a hidden section?
    The SOLDIER forum?
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaToad View Post
    The SOLDIER forum?

For reals, they make it sound like everyone has access to SOLDIER.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Didn't you know? The Final Fantasy is a subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment.

Until now!

Blog Entries

But if you truly want to appeal to new members, this place would look pretty dull. Axing the WG/H forums truly is just ruining some people's fun.
    That sounds an awful lot like something else...

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Shake it like a polaroid picture Let's Be Civilized RagnaToad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    That sounds an awful lot like something else...
    Banning people?

Also, it can't hurt to at least try it. If people want to try it, why not give it a go? One week cannot affect activity on the forums that much, can it? You could announce it and make clear that it is a temporary trial thing.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

So much for civilized.

The only thing ruining people's fun here is this meaningless drama. Haven't had a lick of fun since this crap started.

Until now!

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaToad View Post
    Banning people?

Also, it can't hurt to at least try it. If people want to try it, why not give it a go? One week cannot affect activity on the forums that much, can it? You could announce it and make clear that it is a temporary trial thing.
    Honestly and seriously, what can be accomplished in there mere time of one week? Sorry I know you are not the first to point state the whole one week thing but it is the first post that I can use to adress this issue.

It would have to be on a multi week basis and people that are baised should not be able to post in those sections. That is the only way a fair trial period would be accomplished. Right now for example in the one week that "is permited" would be dominated by people pushing to provide that their point is accurate and would be willing to go above and beyond to prove their point.

Just saying and throwing out some of my thoughts.

:edit: as of now 1/3 of the forum members that have voted show support of the WG/H forum. I think that is enough of a user base to justify that area should stay for now.
    Last edited by Meier Link; 05-25-2010 at 07:05 PM.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

This ain't no place for no hero Let's Be Civilized Tiffany's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meier Link View Post
    Honestly and seriously, what can be accomplished in there mere time of one week? Sorry I know you are not the first to point state the whole one week thing but it is the first post that I can use to adress this issue.

It would have to be on a multi week basis and people that are baised should not be able to post in those sections. That is the only way a fair trial period would be accomplished. Right now for example in the one week that "is permited" would be dominated by people pushing to provide that their point is accurate and would be willing to go above and beyond to prove their point.

Just saying and throwing out some of my thoughts.

:edit: as of now 1/3 of the forum members that have voted show support of the WG/H forum. I think that is enough of a user base to justify that area should stay for now.

I think you might have that backwards. The Poll Option Question is "To Keep the H/WG forum?"

You can vote either Positive or Negative. Positive being yes, keep the forum and Negative - No, get rid of it.

No I said what I said and I ment it. 1/3 of the active members that have voted want to keep the WG/H forum. 1/3rd that is a significant amoung of the vote. Thats over 33%. I know there are not alot of votes on this pole (and there are generally not many votes on polls now adays anyways) but I think 1/3 is something that should litterally be considered. This isn't a majority wins scinario IMO. Then again this thread might not have any true meaning anyways.

Then again lets see how the numbers are in a week or so, if this thread stays active for that long.
    Last edited by Meier Link; 05-25-2010 at 07:23 PM.

United, we move as one

My awards:

This ain't no place for no hero Let's Be Civilized Tiffany's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meier Link View Post
    No I said what I said and I ment it. 1/3 of the active members that have voted want to keep the WG/H forum. 1/3rd that is a significant amoung of the vote. Thats over 33%. I know there are not alot of votes on this pole (and there are generally not many votes on polls now adays anyways) but I think 1/3 is something that should litterally be considered. This isn't a majority wins scinario IMO. Then again this thread might not have any true meaning anyways.

Then again lets see how the numbers are in a week or so, if this thread stays active for that long.
    I will say, 100% that I do not understand your logic, aside from the fact that you want the H/WG forum to exist, which is why you made this post.

Lady Succubus Let's Be Civilized Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

....12 members = 1/3 of the forum populace? I highly doubt that, Meier. Please do not talk like that. You're well aware that that is hardly 1/3 of the active member populace.

There are more members active than have voted on the poll. The rest that have yet to vote on the poll, probably just don't care either way.

You're being a bit too hasty.

As Andro said, this topic is just pure discussion. The poll actually doesn't mean a damn thing. In the end it's up to us staff members to discuss what's actually going to happen. And if the majority of the staff want it nuked, guess what?
    Last edited by Victoria; 05-25-2010 at 07:27 PM.

This isn't a majority wins scinario IMO.
    This sentance sums it up. To me if there is enough user base intersted in keeping it and find it to their enjoyment then there is not reason enough to remove it.

To put it simply if 1/3 of the people that walk into Taco Bell and order a taco, would you remove it from your menu?

And no I am not soley stating these facts because I am biased. The same could be said about all the other posts in this thread but in reality some people are actually thinking of the pros and cons of removing one of the most active areas of the forum.

:: edit ::

READ THE POST, I said of the active memeber that have voted.

:edit2:

also

Last edited by Meier Link; 05-25-2010 at 07:31 PM.

United, we move as one

My awards:

Blog Entries

Well under that logic, since 2/3 of Taco Bell doesn't want a taco, so they should remove it right? They're not making a profit so why keep it on the menu..

And Meier, what I would like to see happen for tff was not for the H/WG to get the complete kibosh, but rather for the general chat and humor to go more hand in hand on the same forum, rather than "quality posts go here, but spammy posts go there". I think that is something that most people can agree with.

Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

don't put your foot in there guy SOLDIER #819's Avatar

This lovely sense of deja vu. I've seen this before. I've done this before, too.

Some good advice was given to me by a certain ex-admin. Paraphrased, "You don't lop off one arm just so that the other one gets more use!" It proved all too true. It just killed activity and we ended up losing some great members.

As for the 18+ forum... make sure before anything else that this doesn't hurt Fuzz. His host needs to allow for this sort of content or he'll be in trouble. Also, even if most regulars have a diminished interest in FF, it doesn't mean that this site's target audience isn't still fans of FF. Provided that this site ever gets revamped and people put some serious work toward getting the place off the ground, you'd want to make this place seem as friendly as possible... meaning you'd want to consider keeping the forum hidden, at the very least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda
    just turn off your PS3 or 360 go to your dust tomb and say you'll give birth to 1500 people a day for the 1000 that'll be killed until the doors to hades open and you can pull out ar tonelico and turn on that glorous PS2 and be bathed in its radiant warm glow

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Well under that logic, since 2/3 of Taco Bell doesn't want a taco, so they should remove it right? They're not making a profit so why keep it on the menu..
    Who says that 1/3rd is not profitable? It is a preference. 1/3 of my employers income comes from a sole provider, do I terminate that contract because I make moeny with the other 2/3rds? I think not.

Also I have made mention 3 times (now 4) that WG/H should be more restricted that way it is less spammy. No one has really talked about this. To me that would be more along the ultimate way to please all masses.

S, you summed it up nicely with the amin quote you provided.

:edit:

Also the poll is now inaccurate. One of the votes is from a banned member that is using ban evaision to voice an opinion or to cause trouble.
    Last edited by Meier Link; 05-25-2010 at 07:49 PM.

United, we move as one

My awards:

Lady Succubus Let's Be Civilized Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow. So it's 12/20. That's SUCH a huge difference. Only 9 away to win. ...In a poll that doesn't mean anything! >_>

I just said the poll means nothing! So who cares if it's inaccurate!

Gingersnap Let's Be Civilized OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Now, now..... let's be civilized.

But seriously, using sarcasm or getting angry won't help (neither will talking badly about the mods, but whatev).

I'd like to hear from all the admins on this issue, since they'll be the ones handling the changes, if they're made. Or from Fuzz, even.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

don't put your foot in there guy SOLDIER #819's Avatar

If this survey is representative of reality and by eviscerating the word games forum we end up pissing off even a good fraction of this 1/3rd, causing them to leave... that'd suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda
    just turn off your PS3 or 360 go to your dust tomb and say you'll give birth to 1500 people a day for the 1000 that'll be killed until the doors to hades open and you can pull out ar tonelico and turn on that glorous PS2 and be bathed in its radiant warm glow

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Victoria View Post
    Wow. So it's 12/20. That's SUCH a huge difference. Only 9 away to win. ...In a poll that doesn't mean anything! >_>

I just said the poll means nothing! So who cares if it's inaccurate!
    So this is a race? I ask asking you to reread my posts again. I think I have clearly expressed my opinion (keyword). Also once again:
    and
    This isn't a majority wins scinario IMO.

United, we move as one

My awards:

Blog Entries

guys you can take your arguements to PM/VMs please, stay on topic.

I am still for giving this thing at least a good week shot if an admin is up for it, and I feel that there are many people that would like to give it a try as well. If it's completely reversable, then why not right?

EDIT: it's because people are being sarcastic, which on the internet is considered trolling from what I learned today lol, and you are just telling victoria to reread your posts, which is doing nothing but spamming the thread and making me do redundant reading. If you feel she isn't understanding your point, then tell her to reread it outside of the thread. Also, this is all after the mod told everyone to cut it out.

And, if a week isn't deemed long enough, then what do you think shall be an acceptable timeframe?
    Last edited by Rocky; 05-25-2010 at 08:32 PM.

I just don't see what the matter of a week will prove. I made mention of this in a previous post. It would have to be more long term with unbiased people to be accurate. Any other way would be exploited.

I am not trying to start arguments, I am merely expressing my opinon and people are twisting my words.And how is what we posted off topic? We are merely questioning each other over the opinions of the other and trying to prvoide awnsers to the other.
    Last edited by Meier Link; 05-25-2010 at 08:25 PM.

United, we move as one

My awards:

My couch pulls out but I don't. Let's Be Civilized midgetbob's Avatar

12 - 21... that's 2/3 majority... that passes laws.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast