Thread: The Last Book You've Read/ Are Reading

Bananarama The Last Book You've Read/ Are Reading Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Last Book You've Read/ Are Reading

Well here's a novel thought (pun not intended!)! Post a not too particularly detailed description of the last book you've finished and if you're reading one, the book you're reading now. List titles and authors in case anyone's interested in checking them out. And hell, while we're at it, list books you want to read but haven't gotten around to yet.

What's the last book you've read?
    What's it about?
    What's the genre (if not obvious)?
    Would you recommend it?
    Are you reading anything since?
    Are there any books you want to read but haven't gotten around to yet?

The last book I finished was Paddle Your Own Canoe by Nick Offerman (Ron Swanson on Parks and Rec).

What's it about?

It's quite a hilarious and well written book about the authors own beliefs and life, in general. There are tons of funny stories and illustrations, ranging from how he grew up in the middle of nowhere, from his religious beliefs, to meeting his wife.

What's the genre?

It's an autobiography, with some hilarious illustrations. It also tiptoes along the lines of advice, as the author goes about his own beliefs on how to live the best life you can. It's not advice per se, but moreso his own beliefs as to how he thinks people should live. It's not preachy, I promise.

Would you recommend it?

I would, so long as you know who Nick Offerman/ Ron Swanson are. If you didn't, I'm sure a lot of it wouldn't necessarily make a whole lot of sense, but I'm sure there are some life lessons that one could get.

Why yes I am! I'm reading Hombre by Elmore Leonard (hands down, favorite author). It's one of his old westerns (circa 1850's) and when I do pick it up, I enjoy it. His books read like TV or movie scripts, which make them descriptive without being overly wordy. You can easily picture everything happening, as well as all of the characters. The real twists and turns happen with the people involved.

Are there any books you want to read but haven't yet?

I really want to read the Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin. I love the show, but I feel like the books are so much more developed and tell so much more of the story than 60 minutes a week can provide.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth The Last Book You've Read/ Are Reading Xanatos's Avatar

The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. Quite popular right now although after reading the first one I'm not quite sure why to be honest.

What's it about?

Set in post apocalyptic world ravaged by hunger and poverty twelve districts are under brutal regime of the Capitol, a place with way superior firepower and technology. Each year Capitol hosts The Hunger Games as a reminder never to rebel again and to entertain its citizens. Each district sends two of its members, a young male and a female, to what is pretty much a fight to the death, last person standing is declared a victor and is along with his/hers district handsomely rewarded.

Adventure/Sci-Fi.

Would you recommend it?

Surprisingly no. It's not a bad book, read worse to be honest, the premise is interesting and the first few chapters are gripping to say the least, easy to get into. Some parts were genuinely sad. On the other hand it's bit repetitive, there are way too many conveniences, the overall conflict is pretty underwhelming, though my biggest issue, kids from other districts are overall poorly written, save for maybe one or two. Take Cato for instance, breed and trained for one and only purpose, to participate and win these games, a person who Katniss considers to be cunning and intelligent through entire book, yet his stupidity and lack of certain skills is unbelievable.

The love bit is out of a place at times, also, Capitol, force that demolished district 13 just to send a message, is way too concerned with such nonsense.

Read four chapters of Catching Fire several days ago, right now I'm considering whether I should continue or not as this love bit is really starting to annoy me.

With Mass Effect novels being a pleasant surprise I was hoping to find another great book based on a video game I'm familiar with. From what I heard Dead Space Martyr is pretty good, might pick that up when/if I'm done with The Hunger Games.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Blog Entries
    I enjoyed the Hunger Games books, but I wasn't really reading them for their literary prowess. I was more into them for the story and to see what happens in the end. I was able to rally the three of them in about a week. Some of it was a bit too convenient, like you say, but I also understand that you need to keep the story moving along.

Are the Mass Effect books good? I want to pick some kind of videogame based book up, but I don't want it to rewrite what I'd consider "canon".
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

Gingersnap The Last Book You've Read/ Are Reading OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Haha hell, I loved the Hunger Games. I don't care, I ate that shit up.

I haven't finished reading a book since October, because I participated in National Novel Writing Month, and I have the tendency to sound way too much like whatever book I'm reading while I write. I've been reading The Ego Tunnel: The Science of the Mind and the Myth of the Self slowly, as it's nonfiction and doesn't interfere, but I keep picking it up before bed and zzzzz. It IS interesting, it's just a bit dry.

The last book I read was Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. It's an autobiography about a Somali-born woman who ends up a member of Dutch parliament. She was a devout Muslim growing up, but has now rejected the religion and its persecution of women completely. Her experience with female circumcision and arranged marriage is a horrifying look into the world she spent every day in. She spoke out against the Muslim religion while in parliament and received death threats, and had to be kept hidden in bunkers. It was surreal. There's a lot of back story and history, and a lot of talk about the importance of names to the Somali culture, but if you're interested in that kind of thing, it doesn't get dull. Otherwise, you might find it dragging a bit. I really liked it.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth The Last Book You've Read/ Are Reading Xanatos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Are the Mass Effect books good? I want to pick some kind of videogame based book up, but I don't want it to rewrite what I'd consider "canon".
    Pretty good sci-fi books on their own, even better if you are a Mass Effect fan. Save for the last one though, it was pretty obvious the new author didn't have any previous experience with Mass Effect whatsoever, thus you have huge list of inconsistencies and plot holes. I suggest you avoid that one.

First three however were written by the same guy who wrote Mass Effect, Dragon Age Origins, KOTOR and Baldur's Gate so you can expect some quality storytelling there, plus you don't need to worry he'll take a shit on his own canon. The first novel is a pure prequel and is also my favorite, while the next two somewhat distance themselves from what happens in Mass Effect games.

You should all check out goodreads.com or .org ...I think .com it's awesome .keep track of what you read and make list of what you want to read etc . Plus book recommendations based on interests. It's free also I love using it and finding other books then checking out ratings and where I can buy them .

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

G'day The Last Book You've Read/ Are Reading NikkiLinkle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I loved the Hunger Games trilogy! The movies... not so much. I finished the last Game of Thrones book earlier this year, am looking forward to the next one! Haven't read much else the last few years. Except for His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (a trilogy), they are really good! They made a movie out of the first book, The Golden Compass, don't hate the books because of that dreadful movie! Read the books! They are amazing! I love sci-fi/dealing with religion type stuff, so interesting! Anyhoo!

Last book I read was called Eisenhorn and am currently reading Ravenor both written by Dan Abnett. These are both Warhammer 40K novels.

What's it about?

The Inquisition (The Holy Orders of the Emperor's Inquisition) is an organisation in the fictional Warhammer 40,000 universe. They act as the secret police of the Imperium, hunting down any and all threats to the stability of the God-Emperor's realm. In the first trilogy, the titular character is Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn, a member of the Ordo Xenos (a division of the Inquisition devoted to hunting aliens, though they also uphold the Inquisition's creed of prosecuting "enemies of the state"), as he begins his descent into radicalism and association with daemonhosts and dark sorcery. The second trilogy is focused around Eisenhorn's former student, Inquisitor Gideon Ravenor, also of the Ordo Xenos, as he battles a powerful nemesis and seeks to defeat a conspiracy involving high Imperial officials. The third trilogy will be centered around Alizebeth Bequin, an "untouchable" (anti-psychic, or psychic blank) who had been a long-time, trusted member of Eisenhorn's inner circle.

(I stole that from wiki, sorry, hehe)

Science fiction/fantasy

Would you recommend it?

Most definitely. I'm not very good at explaining or describing things, but I've really gotten into these books. The story is really super interesting, there's a lot of action and it can get quite brutal at times. Idk what else to say, just read it! It did take me awhile to get into it but once i did I was HOOKED. I plan to read as many Warhammer novels as possible. Such an amazing world.

Ravenor as I mentioned above, about half way through!

Hmmm not that I can think of at the moment!

Registered User The Last Book You've Read/ Are Reading LauriJ's Avatar
    I enjoyed the Hunger Games books, but I wasn't really reading them for their literary prowess. I was more into them for the story and to see what happens in the end. I was able to rally the three of them in about a week. Some of it was a bit too convenient, like you say, but I also understand that you need to keep the story moving along.

Yes, you definitely should consider reading some Mass Effect. Hopefully you'll find them entertaining.

Blog Entries
    I think I will pick them up sooner than later! I wound up buying a few books the other day, so I'll be busy for the next few days/ weeks.

I picked up I Wear The Black Hat by Chuck Klosterman. It's about the idea of villains, both fictional and real, and the authors ideas of what makes a true villain. Some of it is just funny, although super pretentiously written (think college philosophy-english double major) but some of it makes you think.

I also picked up Band of Brothers and Lone Survivor because I loved the HBO series, and I saw the documentary on Marcus Luttrell and I really can't wait to read the firsthand account.

Still have to finish Hombre​... I suck haha
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

"Tiger Hair" The Last Book You've Read/ Are Reading HeroZero's Avatar
    Just finished reading Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson, and The Moon Pool by... some author that is likely dead now. I am currently reading Black Mass at a friends suggestion. Black Mass is about the FBI (or a single section of it) protecting an Irish mafia boss in the Boston area from like the 70's through the 90's because he was an 'informant'. All about Whitey Bulger, Stevie Flemmi, and John Connoly the FBI 'handler' for the first two.
    "Evil spelled backwards is Live, and we all want to do that now don't we?"

Chief Inspiring Officer The Last Book You've Read/ Are Reading Cyanist's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What's the last book you've read? Life Of Pi.
    What's it about? Uh...a skinny Indian teenager gets stuck on a boat with a tiger - NEED I SAY MORE?
    What's the genre (if not obvious)? It deals with a smattering of religious philosophy and psychology, I'd say...
    Would you recommend it? Very much so. I finished it in under two days so it's kinda short but thoroughly enjoyable.
    Are you reading anything since? Yup, I'm on 'Skeletons Of The Zahara'. Supposedly Abraham Lincoln read this book at some time...
    It's a true story about a Cristian, early American crew that shipwrecked off the coast of blah blah desert to find its Moslem, Arab inhabitants to be utterly alien and hostile. I'm at the bit where the crew has been mistreated, traded off as slaves, given well below minimum sustenance and forced to fend for themselves in the skin-scorching heat. Kinda painful to read so far, a bit depressing actually.
    Are there any books you want to read but haven't gotten around to yet? Urum, thinking of getting into The Bourne Identity series. That might be fun...
    ~I'm sorry I haven't been around very much~

The votes are in for the sketch contest. See who won the epic battle here:
    http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...12-voting.html

I took on Pete's suggestion and while I wasn't exactly thrilled with what I read next two books did offer some improvements. Catching Fire stood out to me the most, second half of it to be more precise. The Hunger Games, their design in particular, were far more interesting this time around, and Finnick really grew on me. While there was insignificant number of major deaths, as expected, one managed to take me by surprise. It was unexpected, out of place, and quite shocking to be honest.

For the most part Mockingjay failed to make me feel like there's a huge conflict going out there, it was filled with way too many insignificant and dull events, or so I feel. My biggest issue with this trilogy though, taking entire situation into consideration and what she went through Katniss's thoughts are still as inconsistent as they get. Some parts were forced, for instance there was no reason Capitol had to punish Haymitch no matter how you look at it, but it had to be done to make its past as grim as possible.

The epilogue was unnecessary, prefer the end of the last chapter, it had a bittersweet feel to it, it starts with three main characters it ends with three main characters, this time though they are all ****ed up. That and I don't feel Katniss deserves Peeta. The Hunger Games was a solid read, not something I would necessarily recomend though.

Right now I'm going through Dead Space Martyr, by Brian Evenson. Halfway through already, really need to slow down during the holidays. The best way to describe this book right now... well, something Dead Space fans should definitely look into. I never thought I would say this about a book (never read horror books to be honest), but Dead Space Martyr is somewhat creepy.

The last book I finished was Terry Pratchett's Lords and Ladies which was part of the "Witches" subplot and the 14th Discworld novel.

What's it about?
    I suppose in a nutshell, Elves are evil, live in another dimension and want to invade the Discworld dimension during a particular event where the walls between the worlds are weak.

What's the genre?

Fantasy

Would you recommend it?

I would if you've enjoyed other Discworld novels. It's not one of the best, but not one of the worst I've read either.

Currently slogging through the 15th Discworld novel from Terry Pratchett, Soul Music, which is part of the Death subseries. It is a lot like the 10th or 11th novel Moving Pictures. In Moving Pictures Pratchett brought "Holywood" (Hollywood) to the Disc, and told a satirical/funny tale about making movies using a mixture of magic/engineering. Soul Music is similar but is more about Rock 'n Roll invading the Disc, or at least the city of Ankh-Morpork. I'm only somewhat enjoying it.

Are there any books you want to read but haven't yet?

The rest of Discworld, for starters. Several nonfiction science titles from Dawkins (Greatest Show on Earth), Sagan (Demon Haunted World), Kaku (Physics of the Future) and other similar titles.

I invented Go-Gurt. The Last Book You've Read/ Are Reading Clint's Avatar
    What's the last book you've read? Superman: Earth One.

What's it about? It's an origin story for Superman set in an alternate DC universe.

What's the genre (if not obvious)? It's a superhero graphic novel comic book.

Would you recommend it? Yep, it was pretty good. It's a retelling of an origin story in a 21st century setting. It's pretty different from Superman's original origin story, but it's considerably better written, with better artwork, and it's not set in 1938, which is a plus for a modern-day superhero.

Are you reading anything since? No, not really. I've read the first few issues of the Harley Quinn New 52 comic, but that's it.

Are there any books you want to read but haven't gotten around to yet? I'm going to be picking up a copy of Superman: Earth One: Volume 2 whenever I get the chance. I also still have a few other graphic novels that I haven't gotten around to reading yet. Wolverine: Origin, Batman: Hush, and I have a few from the Flash. Wally West Flash, not Barry Allen. Barry Allen can suck a ****.

Blog Entries
    Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan.
    What's it about?
    It is Jim Gaffigan's observations and stories about being a father. Also random other things that he decides to talk about.
    Comedy
    Would you recommend it?
    It depends upon if you are interested in reading about a comedian's observations on parenting. I enjoyed it, although it took me longer to get through than it probably should have. It reads kinda like one of his comedy specials in book format; the "chapters" are more like singular pieces of his material, divided like they would be on one of his comedy albums. It isn't as funny as listening to him because you don't have his delivery, and I think some of his jokes needed their delivery for me to laugh at them. Over all, it's pretty cool though. There's a reason it was a best seller.
    I started reading The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger by Stephen King. I haven't gotten very far yet, though.
    I'm gonna read the rest of the Dark Tower series, and also Unfinished Tales; at least the Quest of Erebor. It might be cool to read the rest of the Myth-Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, but I don't remember which was the last book in the series that I read, and I hadn't been liking them as much once the new author started writing. RIP Robert Asprin

Whistling Songbird The Last Book You've Read/ Are Reading Asectic's Avatar
    The Elite by Kiera Cass (more of a re-read actually, since the last book is coming out this May and I was in a desperate need of plot revamp. And reading it since high school could say I'm looking forward to it.)

What's it about?
    The Elite (or Selection series) is a continuation of the first book, of where generally there is a match-making event for the royal family called the Selection, where 35 girls are chosen to see who will marry the Prince. The second one continues from where 6 girls remain in the competition.

Dystopian YA/Romance

Would you recommend it?
    If you are a big fan of romance, sure go for it. I picked up this book since I thought the idea of a romance-based competition in a YA setting was unique. And I have to say after reading it fell in love with it Lol.

Been continuing reading other action novels, but mostly re-reading past novels since I don't have time much recently to look at bookstores

I've been meaning to read Game of Thrones novel, since I heard that the TV series was a hit. I'll get around reading it during a break maybe.

"Because I obviously haven't been on here for a while"
    - Said no one ever, 02/2020

>>>:

Oh hey there, thanks for opening! Here is a little section filled with my goodies here and there.

TIMELINE - Before 2019:

The Awesome Peeps (TFF Family):

Moogable
    Bleachfangirl
    Ekimeinna
    Treize
    Rocky
    Tiger Lily
    Unknown Entity
    FF Ace Cid-Silver
    Raider
    Secret Weapon

TIMELINE - 2020 and Onwards:

Music of the Week:
    Ginzen no Kaze (English Cover) - Jayn

Links:
    My DeviantArt Account

"It was nice meeting you!"
    - Said a second nobody ever~

last book was A Dance With Dragons from A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin. it's fantasy stuff, one of the best series I have ever read and i recommend it to any one. there is a lot going on in the series, but it is basically about power struggles between factions trying to control or reclaim control of a continent made up of different little kingdoms but ruled by a single king.
    not currently reading anything else at the moment, and all i can think of reading is the next book in the series, whenever it comes out.

Blog Entries
    I liked The Hunger Games until I read Mockingjay....ugh what a terrible conclusion. Maybe I'm still bitter that she killed off my two favorite characters (one of them off-screen, no less) for no reason. I might check out the movies if they deviate enough from the books that they reverse some of her foolish third book plot decisions. Anyway...

What's the last book you've read? The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates by Wes Moore
    What's it about? It's about two young men about the same age, with the same name who grew up in the same town. One of them became a highly accomplished soldier and academic. The other one is serving a life sentence in prison. The book is the author's attempt to answer the question of what happened, basically. A complicated question with an interesting conclusion that makes you really think about your own circumstances.
    What's the genre (if not obvious)? Nonfiction
    Would you recommend it? Sure, if it sounds like something you'd want to read. I don't often foray into nonfiction myself but I enjoyed it.
    Are you reading anything since? I'm also reading Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence, was just taking a break from the unrelenting bleakness of that post-apocalyptic dark fantasy world.
    Are there any books you want to read but haven't gotten around to yet? Yes, but the list is so massive it would take forever to write out lol. I will say that I am really excited to get to The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch, which will probably be the next fantasy I read.
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Blog Entries
    I was going to read The Gunslinger, but I just haven't taken the time. Been distracted by too many shiny things I guess. Like one time about a week and a half ago, I saw Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened, and decided that I needed it. (Now I will proceed with the standard questions).
    What's it about?
    It's about the life and observations of blogger Allie Brosh. Includes crude illustrations.
    Comedy
    Would you recommend it?
    I like it a lot. Even though half of the material, you can read for free on her blogspot. The other half of the material is new, however, and there's something about having a physical copy to read instead of staring at a computer screen.
    Nope. I should read more Gunslinger.
    Same as last time, pretty much.

Blog Entries

I just finished The Martian by Andy Weir the other day.

What's it about?

It's a book that takes place in the not too distant future, where NASA has begun to run missions on Mars. A team of astronauts gets caught in a bad dust storm and is forced to abandon the mission. In their retreat, one of the astronauts is struck by debris and is presumed dead. Turns out he wasn't. And that's just like chapter 1. The rest of the story is a super suspenseful tale of the astronaut on Mars and what's happening back on Earth.

It's science fiction, but also heavily rooted in science and reality, and is very much a story of something that could happen in the future. It's also pretty funny, as the protagonist is a master in gallows humor.

Would you recommend it?

I would, as long as you can get past the science-y diatribes and essentially the explanations of the how and why things are done. It gets a little tedious, but I found it pretty fascinating. It's also quite suspenseful and I found it hard to put down.

I'm still trying to get through Hombre by Elmore Leonard. I put it down and pick it up intermittently between other books.

Well. On my stack of unread books, I have:

The American Spirit: Celebrating the Virtues and Values that Make Us Great

Freaky Deaky and Glitz by Elmore Leonard

Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose

I also have the entire Game of Thrones series to read and a Simpsons and Philosophy book that I've been skimming through.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

Consistently Average The Last Book You've Read/ Are Reading Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A Feast for Crows, by George R.R Martin.

What's it about?
    Power, plotting, allegiances, betrayal, love, death, war, plotting, allegiances, betrayal, plotting, allegiances, betrayal is how I'd sum up the series.

It's fantasy, although the fantasy elements don't kick in until quite far into the series.

Would you recommend it?
    Oh absolutely. I was given A Game of Thrones for my birthday back in January and now I'm halfway through A Dance with Dragons and I still can't get enough.

I'm reading A Dance of Dragons right now which is the most recent book in the series. Fingers crossed the next book comes out soon.

I don't have any idea what to read next, although my girlfriend wants me to read Mockingjay before the movie comes out at the end of the year. Ian Rankin (another of my favourite authors) has a new Rebus book out so i'll probably get that one when I have the money lol
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

Blog Entries
    Random question, but it fits in this thread best. Do you guys prefer using a nook/ kindle/ kindle app or actually holding a real physical book, or does that not even matter?

I love holding an actual book. My phone has a kindle app, but I feel like it's too easy to get distracted by other things. With a few real book, I can put my phone on silent and just enjoy reading.

And I finally finished Hombre... Which is sad because it's so short and took months.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

Consistently Average The Last Book You've Read/ Are Reading Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I prefer reading from an actual book rather than using any of those devices. I haven't actually used one before but when I read it's to switch off from everything else, and to take a break from anything electronic. Reading a book on a tablet just doesn't seem right. I'm the same when it comes to games and cd's too, I prefer having the physical copy that I can look at and sort and stack, rather than having it stored in a digital library.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

Gingersnap The Last Book You've Read/ Are Reading OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've been kind of wanting a Nook for travel. The simple one, with the paper-like screen (not back-lit like an iPad), that has a battery life of like two weeks. I don't need one, but it would be nice to carry 100 books with me on a long trip without the extra weight.

But since I don't have one, I suppose reading from an actual book is what I prefer. It's definitely preferable to a back-lit screen that makes my eyes tired. Big heavy books do make my wrists tired when I read them lying down for too long, though.

The last two books I read were Once a Runner and The Secret Life of Bees. I would recommend both. It was interesting to read them back to back because Bees was so wonderfully feminine while Once and Runner was hilariously and touchingly masculine. Both of them were great, and overall they were beautifully human.

The Secret Life of Bees is about a young teenaged white girl who runs away from home in search of answers about her mother. It takes place in South Carolina in a time when segregation was rampant (1964). She ends up at a house full of black women who keep bees and make honey for their living. Their interactions and the descriptions of humanity in this book were splendid and filled my heart. I was sorry when this book was done.

Once a Runner is set around the time of Vietnam, and it tells the tale of Quenton Cassidy who is a competitive runner at (fictional) Southeastern University. He's a "miler" and throughout the book is dreaming of getting a four-minute mile. Not 4:05, not 4:03. Four. This book is hilarious, and a cool look into the collegiate athlete culture and the politics that surround it. And when the seconds were counting down before every race, my heart was pounding with Cassidy's. And the language! There's a sequel to this, and I certainly have plans to read it.

Currently, I'm reading Shogun. It's taking some time for me to form any kind of attachment to the main character, but I will say I like him better than all of his shipmates. So he has that going for him. Blackthorne is an Englishman and pilot of a Dutch ship looking for riches in 1600. They are washed ashore in a storm and find themselves in Japan. I haven't gotten very far, and Blackthorne is only just making sense of his surroundings, so there is still time for me to cheer for him or not. But from reviews I've read, the author was pretty meticulous in getting the Japanese culture of that era correct, so I'm excited to learn while I read.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

#LOCKE4GOD The Last Book You've Read/ Are Reading Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea of e-readers when travelling, but not the idea of getting trapped into some vendor's ecosystem, like iTunes and iPods. I'm all for open formats and being able to buy books from any source and read them on any device I choose.

I'm currently reading A Dance with Dragons (Game of Thrones), and a book I picked up about a week ago on the history of horse-driven, steam- and electric-powered trams in New Zealand cities from the 1860s to the 1970s. The reason I got it isn't the history itself (although it's very interesting to me), but because it has a series of appendices that I plan to turn into a database and serve online as an interactive map. There's an appendix of every tram route that was ever formally established, and often the timetables, too. It even covers very small cities (ones that would have had fewer than 1,000 people when they got themselves a tram). So I'm planning on combining three of my main interests (spatial data, history, and transport) into one little project to learn about Web development while making something that will hopefully be of interest and use to others.

Random question, but it fits in this thread best. Do you guys prefer using a nook/ kindle/ kindle app or actually holding a real physical book, or does that not even matter?

I love holding an actual book. My phone has a kindle app, but I feel like it's too easy to get distracted by other things. With a few real book, I can put my phone on silent and just enjoy reading.

And I finally finished Hombre... Which is sad because it's so short and took months.
    I prefer to have a physical book in my hands. Call me old fashioned, but it's just great holding a good book in your hands.
    Also, I can't stand reading off a screen for long periods of time.

Sicc in the head & n0t sober. The Last Book You've Read/ Are Reading noxious.sunshine's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just finished "House of the Scorpion". I've read it before, though.

What's it about?

It's about a boy, Matteo Alacran, who discovers he is a clone of "El Patron"- The biggest opium farmer in the area of land between the US & Mexico that is now called, appropriately, Opium- & his journey.

Young Adult fiction, I guess kind of sci-fi, set in the future.

Would you recommend it?

Yes

Yes. I'm reading the sequel. And I have a ton of other books downloaded and in my queue

Yes, but there's too many to list .