Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world?

#LOCKE4GOD Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world? Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world?

Everyone enjoys casual nationalism. Everyone has an argument as to why their country is better than all others, so let's air them out, and get rivalry flowing.

Simply state your country and provide reasons why it is better than other countries. They can be serious reasons, or humorous reasons. If they fulfill both at once, all the better.

I'm predicting a degree of repetition, especially from you Americans. In this case, you may still provide original reasons why your country is the best, and/or you can suggest why your state or region is better than the rest of your country, or the rest of the world. As most American states are larger than my entire country, this should still work.

I'll kick it off, obviously.

New Zealand is better than all your countries for the following reasons:

• We were the first country to extend the right to vote to women, way back in 1893.
    • A New Zealander - Ernest Rutherford - was the first person to split the atom, in 1917, thus giving birth to nuclear energy and weapons, eventually.
    • A New Zealander - Richard Pearse - is reported to have made a somewhat successful flight of a controlled aircraft in 1903; a year before the Wright brothers.
    • By combining the last two, it is due to Kiwi ingenuity that WWII was finished: a plane dropped atomic bombs on Japan - two inventions discovered by New Zealanders.
    • We were bombed by the French in 1985, by operatives of the French intelligence service. The Greenpeace ship Rainbow Warrior - which had protested French nuclear testing on Mururoa Atoll in the Pacific (how ironic) - was sunk under the cover of darkness, using explosives. This was covered up by the French, and, despite the capture of two of the operatives (later released due to French demands), it has only reluctantly been accepted. Who else can claim this (African nations aside)?
    • New Zealander Sir Edmund Hillary (with Nepalese Sherpa Tenzing Norgay) first reached the summit of Mt Everest.
    • A significant amount of New Zealand's electricity is generated through hydropower (70% of electricity, 11% of total energy).
    • New Zealand's broadcasters enjoy one of the world's most liberal media arenas. Not only this, several studies have confirmed our media as among the least biased in the world.
    • The CPI score indicates the perceived level of public-sector corruption in a country/territory. New Zealand tops the tables: CPI 2009 Table/2009/cpi/surveys_indices/policy_research. The United States is 19th, the UK 17th.
    • We drive on the correct side of the road.
    • We are not Australian, which means you don't laugh when we talk, we make very good wine, we don't feel like we have to suck America's **** (in the 1980s we risked a major security alliance by denying entry of American ships into our nuclear-free waters due to their reluctance to state which ships were nuclear armed/powered), we get rain, we have ski fields, and we don't have silly place names (WTF is a Wollongong?).

That's enough for now. What are your reasons?

Shake it like a polaroid picture Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world? RagnaToad's Avatar
    One word: Smurfs.

Also from Belgium:

French fries (seriously)

The best real beer in the world, brewn by monks. (seriously)

Adolphe Sax, who invented the saxophone. (seriously)

Loads of important painters such as Peter Paul Rubens, James Ensor and René Magritte. (and more, seriously)

The first monkey/man to make fire was a Belgian. (not seriously)
    Last edited by RagnaToad; 12-10-2009 at 04:42 AM.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

Govinda
    Yes, we did invent the modern world.

We're so small, but we've got so much to offer. I'd never want us to be independent, but that's another matter.

Scotland these days is like a dog that chewed one of its own legs off. It's defective and self-harming, but you love it anyway.

Our Highlands are one of the most beautiful places on Earth. I defy you to take the West Highland Way, or climb Ben Nevis, and say otherwise.

And that's just the Gairloch!

(PS, ENGLAND SUCKS)

This ain't no place for no hero Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world? Tiffany's Avatar
    You can carry small amounts of Pot on you and not get charged. Okay, maybe that would mean something more to me if I actually smoked the stuff... but I don't. It made other people happy though!

I like the fact that we recognize that it isn't our business if Gays/Lesbians get married and allowed them to do so.

And you can thank us for: Basketball, the electric light bulb, the electric range, the electron microscope, standard time, the television, the telephone, and the zipper.

Shake it like a polaroid picture Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world? RagnaToad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    You can carry small amounts of Pot on you and not get charged. Okay, maybe that would mean something more to me if I actually smoked the stuff... but I don't. It made other people happy though!

I like the fact that we recognize that it isn't our business if Gays/Lesbians get married and allowed them to do so.

And you can thank us for: Basketball, the electric light bulb, the electric range, the electron microscope, standard time, the television, the telephone, and the zipper.
    You're from Canada, then?

In Belgium, you can smoke pot and marry with someone of the same sex too.

I'll look up some inventions that originated in Belgium, apart from the saxophone and the other stuff I mentioned earlier.
    Last edited by RagnaToad; 12-10-2009 at 08:31 AM.

Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world? Jin's Avatar
    In Canada, being patriotic makes you uncool.

Therefore we win.

Until now!

Blog Entries
    You can thank us for this movie.

[/thread]
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Registered User Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world?
    The United States is the country that everyone just loves to hate.

That's gotta count for something. Right? Everyone else in the world is united by how much they hate the US.

If you do decide to get off of your pedestals and actually visit the US, then come to ARKANSAS because it's pretty cool:

Wal-Mart. It originated in Arkansas. I don't know if it's as big anywhere else in the world, but it's huge in the States.

George Newbern is originally from Arkansas (Little Rock to be exact) and he did some voicework in a couple of Square-Enix games, like Nooj in FF X-2 and also....SEPHIROTH!! He also did the voice of Superman in Justice League series.

Can't forget about these guys:

Bill Clinton- 42nd President of the United States. Yeah, he had a bit of a sex scandal, but he did do a lot of awesome things, and he was an Arkansan.
    • He balanced the budget for the first time in 35yrs.
    • He reformed welfare.
    • His ecconomic policy created 22 million new jobs.
    • Lowest unemployment in 30yrs
    • Increased education spending
    • He signed the family and medical leave act.
    • Took the largest budget deficit and turn it into the largest surplus in history

Johnny Cash- Here, you can read about him yourself if you want to.

Mountain View, AR is home to one of the largest producers of handmade dulcimers in the world, and dulcimers are awesome. "Dulcimer" was the codename used for the iPod while it was still being created.

Arkansas is called the "Natural State" for a reason. It's damn beautiful here. I would show pictures, but I'm having a bit of trouble with Google Image search.
    Last edited by Dodie16; 12-10-2009 at 01:37 PM.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Bananarama Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Simply put, if it weren't for us, everyone would be speaking German.

We kicked off mass production and modern industry as we know it.

We also invented Super Size.

We have PBR, and I know Meier will agree that makes us #1.

We also excel in backwards progress. Who knew you could sue McDonalds because you're a fatass.

Oh and we have some absolutely gorgeous scenery of virtually every form from coast to coast.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

This ain't no place for no hero Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world? Tiffany's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    In Canada, being patriotic makes you uncool.

Therefore we win.
    And you would know this how? Clearly you have not seen our Molson Canadian beer commercials.

Hmm... can we thank The States for our global recession? Yeah, that's right. I went there. Although come to think of it, I don't know what's worse. The fact that the stupid war started it, or the fact that Canada is so reliant on The States for our Economy that we went right down the crapper too.

Misery loves company?

Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world? Jin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    And you would know this how? Clearly you have not seen our Molson Canadian beer commercials.
    Tiff, it's me, Jin. From Canada. Jin. Don't you recognize me?

Besides, those commercials aren't patriotic so much as they are a spoof of patriotism. Though they do kick ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    You're English?

Until now!

Bananarama Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure America started things up with interchangeable parts, Eli Whitney and the cotton gin and Ford's mass production assembly line.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Although that sign should be pointing at me! Yeah, I forgot. I blame having a baby. How long can I get away with using that as an excuse?

Seriously. Sometimes I can't remember what I was doing 5 mins ago. Clearly I popped all my braincells when having my daughter!

I'm pretty sure America started things up with interchangeable parts, Eli Whitney and the cotton gin and Ford's mass production assembly line.
    Oooh, don't forget rolled toilet paper and microwave ovens!

I always like seeing what countries are famous for certain inventions.

I will finish the hunt Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world? Cheesevixen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Why America is great :

We were the first country to visit the moon....we were also the first to wonder if it really happened. lol

Just to name a few wonderful people:
    Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, Susan B. Anthony, Benjamin Franklin, Amelia Earhart, Oprah Winfrey, Marilyn Monroe,Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Benjamin Franklin, Paul Revere Thomas Edison , Alexander Graham Bell, Neil Armstrong

Here you are able to cross through a dry dessert, climb a snowy mountain, swim in the oceans, fish among the lakes, have an adventure in the swamps, venture into the prairie lands, hunt in the woods, and never leave the nation.

We have freedom of choice (sometimes lol) that some other countries don't have.

We have given equal rights to women......which also, some other countries don't have.

Mc Donalds, Wal-mart

The first phone, car

Coyotes and Pronghorns

Tex Mex, French Fries, Cajun food

Medicaid. It helps our children that were born into low income households to have food, and medical as needed at little or no cost to the parents. It also provides help for those expecting to have a baby.

We also have a WIC and CHIP that help families that are barely making too much to have medicaid. These programs offer free selected food, and very low cost medical.

I also like our predator check. We try very hard to keep track of those who have committed sexually explicit crimes. It's on the news every night, in every store, and of course on the web.

Why Texas is awesome:

We are HUGE for a non-country
    We have the best Tex-mex
    Our space exploration program is located here
    When Louisiana was devastated we took them in and provided them shelter, food, and medical at no cost to them.
    We can cross right on over to Mexico !
    We have the biggest and best medical center int he nation
    Austin....food capital of the world as far as I am concerned ! LOL
    "Some men just want to watch the world burn"

But the industrial revolution began in Britain. Whether Britain predated America on these specific innovations or not I don't know (as neither British, American or Capitalist history lies within my area of expertise), but based on most historians' definitions, "modern" industry began in Britain. At least in terms of output and growth, America didn't start catching up until the late 19th century at the earliest.

This is all assuming memory serves me of course. Maybe I'm off my rocker.

Tiff:
    Last edited by Jin; 12-10-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Until now!

I want to play a game. Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world? Zargabaath's Avatar
    Let's see....

America took in the people that wanted to get the hell out of their home country for a better life - still happens today with the illegal immigrants (you think they want to live in such poorer conditions with druglords, warlords, and little modern technology and healthcare)

America has been the security for the world for quite some time since nobody else wants to get their hands dirty.

People of different countries are envious (why they hate the U.S) and want to bring us down.

We saved Europe twice and the world once.

I'll take Wendy's over McDonalds.

A country where a guy working as a distributor, makes his own distibuting company then buying out his old employer and making his own snacks - that company is H.W. Lay & Company.

NFL. MLB. NHL. NBA.

The founding ideal was the principle of individual rights, unprecedented in the history of nations.

Founding Fathers.

Microsoft. Wal-Mart. Standard Oil Company. U.S. Steel.

Elvis.

A quick list.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Govinda
    But the industrial revolution began in Britain. Whether Britain predated America on these specific innovations or not I don't know (as neither British, American or Capitalist history lies within my area of expertise), but based on most historians' definitions, "modern" industry began in Britain. At least in terms of output and growth, America didn't start catching up until the late 19th century at the earliest.

Yup yup. Was all kicked off by the steam engine, which was invented by a man called James Watt. Who was Scottish. Yeahhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by Zargabaath
    The founding ideal was the principle of individual rights, unprecedented in the history of nations.
    What do you mean by "unprecedented"? Do you mean that the founding fathers thought said principle up themselves or are you just stating that no nation [sic] previously had been built on said principle?

Until now!

I want to play a game. Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world? Zargabaath's Avatar
    What do you mean by "unprecedented"? Do you mean that the founding fathers thought said principle up themselves or are you just stating that no nation [sic] previously had been built on said principle?
    no nation had previously been built on said principle.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world? Xanatos's Avatar
    I don't have much to say on this subject, hell, most of you don't know that this country even exists so I'll keep it short.

Why is Bosnia and Herzegovina great:

- piracy is legal (yes, buying a DVD for only a dollar or two is awesome)
    - food, one of the best cousins in the world
    - beautiful natural environment/we bother to keep it that way
    - one of the most resilient countries in the world (many countries that tried to concur us can confirm this)
    - this country is lead by three different nations and neither one is actually in charge, surprisingly we get along pretty well
    - this is related to the point above this: no, we don't speak three different languages (apparently Croatian, Serbian and Bosnian is the same with minor grammar differences)
    - high tourism, according to Wikipedia it's rapidly grooving with every year

enough for now

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesevixen View Post
    We have freedom of choice (sometimes lol) that some other countries don't have.
    What does freedom of choice mean? In what context? (seriously)
    And I don't think anyone on this forum comes from one of those 'other countries'.

We have given equal rights to women......which also, some other countries don't have.
    Cf. supra about 'other countries.

French Fries
    Wha...
    I...
    Bu...
    You did not just go there!

Medicaid.
    This is funny. It reminds me of that thing called universal healthcare which all industrialised countries have, except for the US.

I also like our predator check. [...] It's on the news every night, in every store, and of course on the web.
    Wait, that's a good thing?
    Last edited by RagnaToad; 12-11-2009 at 04:01 AM.

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world? Polk's Avatar

You're welcome, world.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

Maridia
    We've got Canadians above and Mexicans below. And I never worry about being invaded or bombed ever. We've also got the most varied terrain you could imagine, mountains, deserts, forests, tropical climates, and everything in between. At the end of it we're the melting pot of the world. Every country seems to have something to say but there's ass loads of immigrants who want our jobs, and be able to live here.

Most importantly we've got William Cutting.

This is a night for America! And yes I realize Danial Day Lewis is English but not in that movie. All I can say is he's seen things.

some say............ Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world? The Stig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Simply put, if it weren't for us, everyone would be speaking German.

We also invented Super Size.

We have PBR, and I know Meier will agree that makes us #1.

We also excel in backwards progress. Who knew you could sue McDonalds because you're a fatass.

Oh and we have some absolutely gorgeous scenery of virtually every form from coast to coast.

whoa whoa usa came in the war right at the end if it wasnt for britain mainly we would all be speaking german

but england is the greatest becaue

we had one of the most powerful empires in the world
    we invented at least half of the most popular spors in the world for example football,rugby and cricket
    we are one of little countries left with a monarchy
    willia shakespeare
    charles dickens
    the white cliffs of dover
    and that even though its such a tiny country compared to usa we are still a very powerful nation
    sir issac newton
    charles darwin
    oh and the time line just so starts in england greenwich mean time oh yesssss
    the beatles
    tomb raider (lara croft)
    james bond
    austin powers
    harry potter
    sherlock holmes
    the mini cooper
    and we have one of the largest and longest histories of all nations apart from the ancient civilliations e.g greece,china,egypt and italy
    and reading ragnatoads post the rolling stones
    the ones im putting down next some may be owned by foreigners but are still british at heart
    Lotus
    Jaguar
    TVR
    Aston Martin
    the original ford gt
    silverstone
    wembley
    wimbledon the greatest major in tennis
    manchester united
    David Beckham (although personally i dont like him)
    Mini
    Rover
    MG
    London 2012 olympic games and paralympics
    Borat/Bruno/ali g real name sacha baron cohen
    heathrow one of the busiest airports in the world
    Jenson Button
    Lewis Hamilton
    Sterling moss
    Mclaren f1 team
    Renault f1 team
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-12-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    Some say he's wanted by the CIA, and that he sleeps upside down like a bat... all we know is, he's called the Stig

Some say that his tears are adhesive, and that if he caught fire, he'd burn for a thousand days... all we know is, he's called the Stig.

Some say that his genitals are on upside down, and that if he could be bothered, he could crack the Da Vinci Code in 43 seconds... all we know is, he's called the Stig.

Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig.

Some say he isn't machine washable, and all his potted plants are called Steve... all we know is, he's called the Stig.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Hamilton View Post
    we are one of little countries left with a monarchy
    Why is that a good thing? Belgium is a constitutional monarchy too, but I don't see why anyone should receive millions because his daddy's daddy's daddy's daddy's daddy's daddy made some important decisions back in the day.

Also, you forgot the Rolling Stones.

I will finish the hunt Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world? Cheesevixen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by RagnaToad View Post
    What does freedom of choice mean? In what context? (seriously)
    And I don't think anyone on this forum comes from one of those 'other countries'.
    So just because no one on this one little forum is from those countries; I shouldn't believe my country is great for it's position on freedom of choice? k..........

We vote ! :-)....well....some of us vote. :-)

This is funny. It reminds me of that thing called universal healthcare which all industrialised countries have, except for the US.
    Better something than nothing

Wait, that's a good thing?
    We have a good grasp of those sexual deviates that get out of jail, and update people when there are concerns we parents need to know about. How is that not a good thing? We have plans set in place instead of just letting it go. I honestly wish it were more like that for all criminals. I would love to know where they are and what they did. Knowledge is power. right?

Plus the Amber alerts have and predator checks on TV have saved countless children, and locked up many parole violators that have fled or broken their parole.
    Last edited by Cheesevixen; 12-11-2009 at 06:16 AM.

I honestly wish it were more like that for all criminals. I would love to know where they are and what they did. Knowledge is power. right?
    Seriously? Depriving people of their privacy?
    Last edited by RagnaToad; 12-11-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Death Before Dishonor Nationalism on meth: why is your country the greatest in the world? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A few reasons America is the greatest

- Metallica
    - Cheeseburger's
    - Football

Need I say more...

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=RagnaToad;1239864]
    I honestly wish it were more like that for all criminals. I would love to know where they are and what they did. Knowledge is power. right?/QUOTE]Seriously? Depriving people of their privacy?
    once you've taken a life; you should not be allowed privacy; nor after scarring children for life by degrading them sexually. I wasn't talking about your average criminal. I was talking about murderers and rapists. Why would that be wrong?

**should have specified but honestly didnt think anyone would be taking my posts apart lol, but then again it's TFF so shoulda my bad lol
    Last edited by Cheesevixen; 12-11-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Hamilton
    whoa whoa usa came in the war right at the end if it wasnt for britain mainly we would all be speaking german
    Right, because Britain stopped Poland from being invaded. Wait, no. Well Britain stopped France from being defeated. Wait, again no. At least Britain kept the Nazis busy in Europe until a united offensive could be launched. No, wait, that was the Soviet Union. You freed the desert? Yes, there you go. You did well in North Africa.
    Last edited by Jin; 12-11-2009 at 09:39 AM.

Until now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast