Thread: Sports mentality, rivalry

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) Sports mentality, rivalry che's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sports mentality, rivalry

Are sports healthy for the fans? People get upset when their team loses, or feel great for the rest of the week when their team wins. Why? I see most people support their local team. Are you just a fan because that's all you've known to like? If you are a Jets fan and live in NY/NJ (or a close surrounding area), would you be a Packers fan if you were born/grew up in Wisconsin?

Is it really healthy to get so upset if your team loses? You can't control it no matter how much you shout at the TV. Do you really hate your rivals, or do you actually recognize them as good competition?

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

My couch pulls out but I don't. Sports mentality, rivalry midgetbob's Avatar

Re: Sports mentality, rivalry

I hate the rivals of the teams I'm a huge fan of... though that doesn't keep me from recognizing talent on the bastard's roster. I think being a fan is great for your health, as it was pointed out in an interesting topic in the ID section, it can be related to a near religious experience.

Though... this is a little far... at least make sure your friends aren't recording your breakdown (unless it's like, the World Cup... then you're fine).

mel 1:32 AM
    Hahah I'm like penis penis penis lalala <3
    [10/30/2012 10:46:16 PM] Mel (GypsyElder): I love Virgins haha

.............. Sports mentality, rivalry smurphy's Avatar

The issue of sports being healthy for the fans really depends on the team you support I suppose. I support teams that are/were local to me. I have to say my mood is affected by how well the various teams I support are doing but only in extreme cases. For example when Ireland won the Six nations grand slam for the first time in 61 years( a BIG f*cking deal for Irish rugby fans) I was euphoric for weeks. On the opposite end of the scale when Henrys handball denied Ireland a place in the world cup I was pissed off and grumpy for about two weeks.

And regarding feelings towards rivals and their fans? That really for me depends on the the history and the age of the rivalry. The more traditional rivals I have more respect for but the newer ones I actively hate as the rivalry is more intense, mainly because the what will be considered the important history of the rivalry is being made.

I wouldnt swap being a fan for anything though. Watching my various teams on TV gives me something to do during the long weekend hours at the very least.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    Winston S.Churchill

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think it depends on the sort of fan you are. You get die-hard fans and you have casual fans.

Casual fans are probably usually quiet and more civilised than a die-hard fan. They'll have a few drinks and snacks while they watch the game on tv at home or the pub, and might once every few years actually attend a game. They're not too fussed if their team wins or loses - it's mild disappointment which vanishes quickly. Best team one, they'll move on with their lives.

Die-hard fans are usually noisy and obnoxious about their teams. They'll have more than a few drinks and seriously scream down a stadium/pub when they root for them - they'll probably be arrested for being too drunk to stagger/drive home afterwards, or for disrupting the peace by being too loud, or both. They're abusive to the opposite team and fans of the opposite team no matter who wins or loses - if they win, they won't let the other team live it down; if they lose, they'll most likely be a drunken fight with a fan who supports the winning team.

Casual fans are probably better off because of their slightly apathetic attitude towards a sport, whereas die-hard fans will probably end up with deafness, alcohol poisoning, obesity, bankruptcy, high blood pressure, injury and quite possibly a criminal record.

You can be between a casual fan and a die-hard too.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

In my opinion, if you get angry over a game your not involved in, you need to get your shit together and grow some of what Petes old avatar used to have displayed..

I have no empathy for people who turn something thats ment to be fun into something to battle ego's with, its pointless and usually ends in violence which if you havent guessed, solves nothing, just hurts. Stupid humans.

I remember i was at a friendly international soccer match years and years ago between Ireland and England. It was the first time ever i think in which we met head to head in i dont know how many years ,probably ever.

The English fans were over confident as they usually are, however the match was pretty evenly split skill wise and Ireland went 1-0 up after like 20mins, the match was abandoned soon after we scored as the england fans couldnt take it so they started to riot and destroy the stadium, throwing chairs onto the pitch, our riot team was called in to beat the living **** out of them which was good i guess

Now when people start talking about sports i tend to just switch off as i know the conversation will be pointless

Bananarama Sports mentality, rivalry Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Entity View Post

Die-hard fans are usually noisy and obnoxious about their teams. They'll have more than a few drinks and seriously scream down a stadium/pub when they root for them - they'll probably be arrested for being too drunk to stagger/drive home afterwards, or for disrupting the peace by being too loud, or both. They're abusive to the opposite team and fans of the opposite team no matter who wins or loses - if they win, they won't let the other team live it down; if they lose, they'll most likely be a drunken fight with a fan who supports the winning team.

Casual fans are probably better off because of their slightly apathetic attitude towards a sport, whereas die-hard fans will probably end up with deafness, alcohol poisoning, obesity, bankruptcy, high blood pressure, injury and quite possibly a criminal record.

You can be between a casual fan and a die-hard too.
    I'm going to have to disagree with this. I'm a die-hard Mets, Jets, and Islanders fan, and I don't get drunk, rowdy or obnoxious at games, and neither do any of my friends. Granted, we have the occasional "Let's get drunk at a baseball/ hockey game" night, but it's few and far between. We don't start shit with other people, or even berate the other team's fans, except for when they come into our stadiums and begin to berate us. It never escalates between petty insults though... at least on our end.

A true die-hard fan is someone who knows their team, knows their sports and the teams history. It doesn't mean that you have to recall who the starting lineup was in 1953, or knowing a stars birthday, but it's keeping up to date with what's going on, and actively following how they're doing.

A real fan still supports their team even when they suck, and doesn't just start to pay attention when the team is playing well. Yes, I'm looking at you, Yankee and recent Jets fans.

The people you're describing are your hooligans and assholes in general. And the whole thing about the risks of being a die-hard fan are true, but really involve more signs of addiction and taking adverse risks than anything else. You can use the same thing to describe people who attend concerts and live the whole party lifestyle.

And now that that's out of the way, I consider myself a die-hard fan. I love my teams, and I can tell you about the histories and the rosters, and all that good stuff. The teams I love are all local, and largely influenced because of my dad. He grew up watching the Mets, Jets and Islanders, and you can bet that's what I grew up watching in my house. Over time, and going to games with him, it's just something that's a part of me.

Oh, and fun fact, I'm also a Twins fan! I have no idea why, but I remember being really little and watching them in the World Series, and I've always followed them. When it's Mets vs Twins though, I always root for the Mets.

As for rival teams, I don't really HATE anyone, but there are certain teams that have players that always just seem to come up in the clutch and ruin things for us. Case in point, the St. Louis Cardinals.

I dislike the Phillies and Yankees also, but mostly because of their fanbase and the way they have come to be so dominant as of late. The Yankees have always been New Yorks team, for as long as I've been alive, with the Mets always looking like the little brother. The same thing goes for the Jets in regards to the Giants, and the Islanders with the Rangers.

I do suppose that had I lived in Minnesota, I'd be a Vikings and Twins fan, because that's how I roll. I follow my local teams, since that's what I've always been able to get to, and one of the main things I have in common with my friends. However, that doesn't mean that I can't watch other teams play. If there's a good game on or a rivalry, I'll pop myself down in front of the TV and watch a bit of it, but I'd much rather play the sport myself.

Do I get upset when my teams lose? Sometimes, especially if it's a game they had lost because of stupidity or an easy mistake. The Jets loss on Sunday hurt, because they sucked in the first half, and did not play like they usually do, and then in the second half, they gave me so much hope, and then couldn't come through. Same thing with the Mets in 2006, 7 and 8. They were so close to making the playoffs, and almost going to the World Series, but some crap player, who always seems to ruin it for them... ruined it for them. I was upset, but it only lasts a day or two though.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

I do what you can't. Sports mentality, rivalry Sasquatch's Avatar

I just think that there are "good fans" and "bad fans". The "good fans" are the civil, respectable, respectful, loyal fans. While there are different levels of "good fans", they all fall into the same general category. Some may be more "hardcore", knowing player names, team history, rivalries, etc., and some may be more "casual", barely knowing how the sport is played or keeping up with their team but still supporting them.

And, of course, there are bad fans. The fans that give the rest of the team's (or the sport's) supporters a bad name. These could simply be fairweather fans, that don't pay attention until their team is doing well or only cling to teams that are doing well at the time. Or they could be angry fans, that for some reason believe that their team doing something good (or something bad) is reason enough to become violent assholes. But my personal favorites are the trash-talkers. Every play should be a penalty on the opposing team, but every penalty against their team is only a result of the referees being paid off. Their team would be undefeated if every other team in the league didn't cheat. They rejoice in the injuries of opposing players, disregard opposing stats in favor of "they suck", etc. etc.

I actually became more of a Chicago Bears fan after moving to Wisconsin, because of all the bad Packer fans. Not to say that there aren't good Packer fans, or bad Bears fans, but the bad fans are usually more outspoken. And since I love pissing off stupid people, it was only natural for me to become more of what they despise.

But ... That's why I'm rooting for Green Bay in the Super Bowl. As much as I would hate to see the Bears rival win a championship, at least the Packers are a respectable team, with respectable fans (for the most part). I can't really say the same of my experiences with Steelers fans. Plus, they're NFC.

Sig courtesy of Plastik Assassin.

Greater love hath no man than this; that he lay down his life for his friends.
    John 15:13

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    I'm going to have to disagree with this. I'm a die-hard Mets, Jets, and Islanders fan, and I don't get drunk, rowdy or obnoxious at games, and neither do any of my friends. Granted, we have the occasional "Let's get drunk at a baseball/ hockey game" night, but it's few and far between. We don't start shit with other people, or even berate the other team's fans, except for when they come into our stadiums and begin to berate us. It never escalates between petty insults though... at least on our end.

A true die-hard fan is someone who knows their team, knows their sports and the teams history. It doesn't mean that you have to recall who the starting lineup was in 1953, or knowing a stars birthday, but it's keeping up to date with what's going on, and actively following how they're doing.

A real fan still supports their team even when they suck, and doesn't just start to pay attention when the team is playing well. Yes, I'm looking at you, Yankee and recent Jets fans.

The people you're describing are your hooligans and assholes in general. And the whole thing about the risks of being a die-hard fan are true, but really involve more signs of addiction and taking adverse risks than anything else. You can use the same thing to describe people who attend concerts and live the whole party lifestyle.
    I did say usually. ^^;
    I've just not met a die-hard sports fan who isn't a jackass about their team. They might not drink or start bar fights, but is a real ass to other teams and fans and such. Sometimes it's as though sport is taken way too seriously.

Good to know you enjoy your sport and don't start trouble with anyone though. =D

Probably should have described them as good and bad fans like Sasquatch. >>;

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

It really depends on the individual.
    I have a couple places bordering my site that offer drinks/sports viewing and the people that tumble out after it's over can sometimes be hooligan vandals and sometimes they'll just walk home or to their car anywhere from totally sober to drunk as a fish and cause no real drama.

Some have just stood around on site talking about the game and other normal stuff and while they might be upset their team lost, they're not assholes about it.

Perhaps the only occasions where mass violence/vandalism run rampant is after an international soccer game where the two sides are from countries that don't seem to get on too well. Croatia vs. Serbia type stuff. That's still not the sport though, it's the people and as with all examples, some do stay out of it.

Sport is definitely constructive so long as you have adequate police/security presence so venues/areas around venues aren't effected by people turning sport into something it isn't.
    victoria aut mors

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Sports mentality, rivalry Xanatos's Avatar

Rivalry makes sports even more interesting, exciting, it's great as long as it doesn't go overboard, unfortunately quite often it does, sometimes even for totally wrong reasons, reasons that don't have anything to do with sports, like religion, politics, nationality...

I love and support my team, and yes, I do fell sad when my team losses, but in the end it's just a game, some fans, if they can be called that, shouldn't take it too personally. Unfortunately, some sports like football (soccer) became more than a game it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Perhaps the only occasions where mass violence/vandalism run rampant is after an international soccer game where the two sides are from countries that don't seem to get on too well. Croatia vs. Serbia type stuff. That's still not the sport though, it's the people and as with all examples, some do stay out of it.
    I'm Croatian, and it's true that we don't have a healthy relationship with Serbia, it goes beyond sports I'm afraid, still, it's no excuse to behave in such manner on football match. Also, you would be surprised how many incidents happen while football clubs are playing, especially here in Europe and Southern America, rarely it has anything to do with nationality.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

I am a Jets hater, only because those Jets are my teams rival. I don't go bat shit crazy when the Jets win or when my Dolphins lose. It just sucks.

Last Dolphin game I actually watched this season was Dolphins vs Jets...I usually always catch that game. We lost, yeah it sucked, after the game...I sat down outside with my friend who also is a Dolphins fan. Just said "oh well...but **** the jets." Then went on with my life.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Registered User Sports mentality, rivalry Kaiden's Avatar

Why am I a fan of Buffalo teams? It started because they were the local teams. But at this point I'm a fan because of the memories over the years. You develop favorite players like Thurman Thomas or Rob Ray. I respect passionate fans from other teams as long as they aren’t yelling at me. If I'm drunk enough and some obnoxious dude keeps yelling at me something may happen. In my 10+ years of going to games (really just the past 8) that’s only happened once. It helped that the whole section broke out fighting, so nothing happened to me. The other guy got tossed out of the game and an old couple vouched for me so security let me stay.

At points you can get emotionally attached, I guess some people would say that’s bad. I think being passionate about something is good. Anything can be taken too far, and assholes will be assholes no matter where they are. E.g. the browns fan who tackled a small boy, because he was a Jets fan. That example can also start fan rivalries, I’m sure a lot of Jets fans probably hate Browns fans now because of one asshole. So you have to be careful when labeling a teams fans as bad.

Scene from a movie.
    SPOILER!!:
    [Having pulled over a speeding driver.]
    Mac: All right, how about Cat Game?
    Foster: Cat Game? What's the record?
    Mac: Thorny did six, but I think you can do ten.
    Foster: Ten? Starting right meow?
    [They go up to the car.]
    Driver: Sorry about the...
    Foster: All right meow. Hand over your license and registration.
    [The man gives him his license.]
    Foster: Your registration? Hurry up meow.
    Driver: [laughing] Sorry.
    Foster: Is there something funny here boy?
    Driver: Oh, no.
    Foster: Then why you laughing, Mister... Larry Johnson?
    [Foster stares at him.]
    Foster: All right meow, where were we?
    Driver: Excuse me, are you saying meow?
    Foster: Am I saying meow?
    Driver: I thought...
    Foster: Don't think boy. Meow, do you know how fast you were going?
    [The man laughs.]
    Foster: Meow. What is so damn funny?
    Driver: I could have sworn you said meow.
    Foster: Do I look like a cat to you, boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly-bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
    [The man is uncontrollably laughing.]
    Foster: You stop laughing right meow!
    Driver: [Stops and swallows hard.] Yes sir.
    Foster: Meow, I'm gonna have to give you a ticket on this one. No buts meow. It's the law.
    [Rips off the ticket and hands it to the man.]
    Foster: Not so funny meow, is it?
    [Foster gets up to leave, but Mac shakes his hands at him, indicating only nine meows.]
    Foster: Meow!