3 27.27%
  • No

3 27.27%
  • Bias is lame....

1 9.09%

Thread: If you could part 2.

Mystyrion

If you could part 2.

So recently reading through the newspaper (I always read the funnies).
    I ran into this.

Now, typically when someone thinks of time travel, you think, go back in time to fix previous mistakes, to change things in your life, or of course going into other time periods. I want to stick to things in your own personal life, but I won't limit it. This kind of caught me off guard, mostly because I've never really thought of time travel in this way. Repeating certain events, just to re live them. Definitely made me re-think if I would use one or not.

So the question is, If you could, would you use a time machine to go back in time?
    Why or why not?
    And if you feel like sharing, What would you do?
    Last edited by Mystyrion; 05-31-2012 at 09:28 AM.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth If you could part 2. Xanatos's Avatar

Re: If you could part 2.

I would definitely go back in time and slap my old self right before he's about to play Dragon Age II. Joking aside, I think most of us made at least one rather lousy choice at one point in our lives thus would benefit from advice or two. perhaps even a warning from our future selves. Ah, who am I kidding, I would give me old self a book with all sports results...

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Mystyrion

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    I would definitely go back in time and slap my old self right before he's about to play Dragon Age II.

Joking aside, I think most of us made at least one rather lousy choice at one point in our lives thus would benefit from advice or two. perhaps even a warning from our future selves. Ah, who am I kidding, I would give me old self a book with all sports results...
    Ha yeah, I guess I should have limited the rules even further.
    I mean having any interaction, of course someone is going to make themselves rich or something of that nature.

But would you still go back in time if you could only experience the feeling of whatever said moment?
    Would you still go back in time to stop yourself from doing something if it in turn changed the person you are today?

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth If you could part 2. Xanatos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bias reduX View Post
    But would you still go back in time if you could only experience the feeling of whatever said moment?
    Certainly. There are several truly great moments in my life I would like to experience once more. One thing more than anything else, play games and watch Dragonball Z with my best friend who unfortunately passed away.

Would you still go back in time to stop yourself from doing something if it in turn changed the person you are today?
    I honestly can't imagine myself being any different, I would still risk though and change course of several events in my life as I'm certain it would improve me and my life immensely.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Bananarama If you could part 2. Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't. There are things that i've done that I regret, but I just wouldn't be the person I am had I done it any other way. I try to learn from my mistakes, and just fixing them in the past would only lead to me screwing up, possibly worse, in the future
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Mystyrion

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I wouldn't. There are things that i've done that I regret, but I just wouldn't be the person I am had I done it any other way. I try to learn from my mistakes, and just fixing them in the past would only lead to me screwing up, possibly worse, in the future
    This is more or less my take on time travel (backwards anyways).
    But re experiencing parts of your life is something that I had never really thought of.
    I'm undecided on the matter, but I wouldn't mind seeing my grandmother again.

I do what you can't. If you could part 2. Sasquatch's Avatar

Now that I know where they are, I'd go back and find those ****in' IEDs that got me.

Now that I know how do deal with it, I'd go back and re-live some of the "lower" times in my life, so I wouldn't get as "low".

And, of course, I'd try to change history a bit. You know, sit on a hill in 1776 with a few M249s, maybe take something from this era that would be valuable in the past and trade it for something that would be extremely valuable now (say, gold) ... maybe just hide a few things, so that when I come back to the present, they're rare antiques.

Of course, the biggest thing would be to meet interesting people. Actually, since I was a kid, I've wondered what it would be like to take somebody from the past and bring them to the present, so that they could see what their accomplishments have become. Even somebody more recent, like Thomas Edison or Nikola Tesla, but preferably somebody like Thomas Jefferson or Benjamin Franklin (the latter two, I believe, would be disgusted). Maybe somebody as far back as Newton.

Sig courtesy of Plastik Assassin.

Greater love hath no man than this; that he lay down his life for his friends.
    John 15:13

#LOCKE4GOD If you could part 2. Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd quite like to travel to different time periods, and show them cellphones and shit to mind**** with them.

I also enjoy the ability to receive texts from a future self (or send texts to a past self). Something like, "Hey, can you start that essay instead of going out, cos you don't get it in on time. Chur."

Blog Entries

Eh. What Pete said. Although I would like to go back in time and talk to ol' Jesús. See if he'd yell at me or not (he probably would.) Also get advice from him.

It'd also be tempting to go back and kill that ****er John Wilkes Booth before he had the opportunity to assassinate Lincoln. Or to stop a number of other disastrous things that happened in history. But who knows what that would do to this time period? Remember the words of Doc Brown, guys. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Registered Goober If you could part 2. Order's Avatar

Honestly, I can't think of a single time that I would go back to 'fix'. My mistakes never had dire consequences.
    I'd take some cash with me to give to a few of my past-selves.
    I'd suggest to myself to start hitting the gym a few years earlier than I did.
    I'd pay close attention to how I act from my third person perspective and work on changing things I don't like.

The Mad God If you could part 2. Heartless Angel's Avatar

I'd get a nice time loop going, research something for a certain length of time, send my findings back to continue them , getting further and further with the same ideas with no time actually passing me by. Basically I'd be using it to give myself infinite time to learn without actually having to lose any time. Of course there'd probably be a few things I'd muck wit in the past. Maybe tell myself the winning lotto numbers a few days in advance, find out who wins the race BEFORE I place my bets, that sort of thing. Nothing that would actually seriously alter time in a way that could compromise my existence.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Boxer of the Galaxy If you could part 2. Rowan's Avatar

Is it considered cheating if you have a girlfriend, use a time machine to go back in time to a point before you were dating, and have sex with someone else, and then go back forward in time?

Mystyrion

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Is it considered cheating if you have a girlfriend, use a time machine to go back in time to a point before you were dating, and have sex with someone else, and then go back forward in time?
    I guess that would depend on if you went back in time, would you be in your younger body with knowledge that you have now or would you be a separate identity. Since time travel backwards is almost certainly impossible I think its safe to assume any radical thinking is okay here.

~*Moogle! Kupo!*~ If you could part 2. pixergirl's Avatar

totally. i'd go back and slap myself silly. i probably would still end up making the same mistakes but then at least i'd know i was right after all
    This is bananas! B. A. N. A. N. A. S.! I said this ...Is bananas, B! A! N! A! N! A! S!

Hooah!

Professional Klutz. If you could part 2. Hyzenthlay's Avatar

There are so many things that I'd re-live. Most of the parties I've ever been to would be so awesome to re-do and enjoy all over again. I'd probably drink more and really go for it.

A few relationships, like one with a boy called Rhys, I'd go back and enjoy again. I genuinly was heartbroken when we split. I wouldn't change a second (barring warning the army of girls he breezed through after me.) I'd just like to go back and feel and do it all again.

I'd also go back and enjoy the time I had with my friends when I was younger. Even the times when we sat around complaining about having nothing to do.

Hyz.
    Cogito, ergo sum.
    PRK9, putting the Kitty back in Por Rorr.
    Most likely to have supernatural babies- TFF Bogus Awards 2009- Winner

Memento RK If you could part 2. Yoko's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I honestly wouldn't change a thing. I am here for a reason. The path was hard, and there were parts of it I absolutely hated. But I probably wouldn't be here if any of it didn't happen. I wouldn't be who I am today if I didn't go through what I went through. If I were to change something from my past to make things better...to make things 'perfect'...how am I to know if this was the place I would end up? I love where I am. I don't like how I got here, but that's what life does. It gives you challenges and obstacles that you need to overcome and learn lessons from.

Sometimes people just need that kick in the ass, you know? It might hurt, but only for a little while. And who cares about reliving a moment? You can always create it at a different time. Make it better. Reliving that moment over and over would eventually get boring. Whatever happened to moving forward?
    [CENTER]
    The one and ONLY Female member of CPC8 Makin' it HAPPEN!

Things!!:

Sneaky Member of EVIL BAD GUYS

MSN RANDOMS:
    Brett Litz says (5:50 PM)
    (my first letter of my first name key is ****ed up, so i can't type that)
    vrett
    -_-
    ve yourself
    is what i said
    not "do you"
    ugh

Best RP:Final Fantasy Chronicles of Exigo~The Fall of Spira
    Check it out. The Fall of Spira is finished!

Professional Klutz. If you could part 2. Hyzenthlay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R Kyra
    Sometimes people just need that kick in the ass, you know? It might hurt, but only for a little while. And who cares about reliving a moment? You can always create it at a different time. Make it better. Reliving that moment over and over would eventually get boring. Whatever happened to moving forward?
    I appreciate what you are saying here but it wouldn't work. Not for some people anyways. When I was 18 I had no responsibilities, no financial ropes tying me into a life of mundane repetition. I used to go out and party like 4-5 times a week with no thought of consequence. If I did that now I'd be homeless and hungry. I couldn't create those times now in any way unless I won the lottery.

Also, many of my friends now have the same bonds as myself. This means that they have less time to hang out. Mostly when they have free-time I don't. Also, two of my oldest friends are now abroad and one died. So creating a new memory with them is near on impossible.

In short I, and I'm guessing quite a few other people in the world, would love to re-live rather than re-create.

Don't get me wrong, I'm making new and exciting memories all the time. I still have days when I wake up and think 'last night was EPIC'. There are still a few that I'd love to go back and feel again, though. I'm almost always in the same viewpoint as you (forward, not backward) and I'm always upbeat. I'd just love to go do some stuff again. No consequence, no financial bonds... No real responsibility. Just careless youth.

This sounds like I'm having a go. I'm not. I'm just showing a different perspective.

Hyz.
    Cogito, ergo sum.
    PRK9, putting the Kitty back in Por Rorr.
    Most likely to have supernatural babies- TFF Bogus Awards 2009- Winner

Il y a un furet dans mes cheveux :O If you could part 2. Catalana's Avatar

No I don't want a time machine because there are things that I don't want to live again and I don't want to change good memories
    What is done is finished unfortunately but after all : we etched good memories and keepsakes in our memory <3 Plus I am very awkward so I know that if I live again one moment of my life I will change it and make it a bad time xD lol
    I understand people who want to go back in a time for meeting again people who disappeared But, for my opinion, I don't want to ^^ Live the life at 100% even if you make mistakes : you will move on and think that the life is worth live

Ohh, there is a ferret in my bedroom again...

I invented Go-Gurt. If you could part 2. Clint's Avatar

As much as I am interested in and appreciate time travel, I would have to decline traveling through time to the past. What's done is done. There is no going back. The only thing you can do is go forward.

I would have no problem going forward in time and seeing what the world would be like at a later date. I would be nervous about learning about my personal history, so I would avoid myself or anybody I know in the future if it's possible, but it would be cool to see what's going to happen in the world of professional wrestling over the next twenty-five years. That would most likely be my main interest.

Memento RK If you could part 2. Yoko's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hyzenthlay View Post
    I appreciate what you are saying here but it wouldn't work. Not for some people anyways. When I was 18 I had no responsibilities, no financial ropes tying me into a life of mundane repetition. I used to go out and party like 4-5 times a week with no thought of consequence. If I did that now I'd be homeless and hungry. I couldn't create those times now in any way unless I won the lottery.

Also, many of my friends now have the same bonds as myself. This means that they have less time to hang out. Mostly when they have free-time I don't. Also, two of my oldest friends are now abroad and one died. So creating a new memory with them is near on impossible.

In short I, and I'm guessing quite a few other people in the world, would love to re-live rather than re-create.

Don't get me wrong, I'm making new and exciting memories all the time. I still have days when I wake up and think 'last night was EPIC'. There are still a few that I'd love to go back and feel again, though. I'm almost always in the same viewpoint as you (forward, not backward) and I'm always upbeat. I'd just love to go do some stuff again. No consequence, no financial bonds... No real responsibility. Just careless youth.

This sounds like I'm having a go. I'm not. I'm just showing a different perspective.

Hyz.
    Ey Hyz, a difference in perspective is appreciated as well <3.

Sure there are some moments I wish I had a do over with. My last meaningful relationship would be one of them. However, if he didn't break things off, I wouldn't be where I am now. I learned from that experience.

I've always had some sort of responsibility though. My parents relied on me for a lot of things. I've had to pay my own bills, get my own money for college. Fix my own problems. The list goes on.

With regards to your friend. I'm really sorry to hear that. In your case, recreating that moment would be a definite yes. I know how sad it is when someone passes away. You would give your arm and your leg to have at least another moment with them. Having said that, would you if the chance ever came up? Sacrifice parts of your body to have another moment with them?
    [CENTER]
    The one and ONLY Female member of CPC8 Makin' it HAPPEN!

Things!!:

Sneaky Member of EVIL BAD GUYS

MSN RANDOMS:
    Brett Litz says (5:50 PM)
    (my first letter of my first name key is ****ed up, so i can't type that)
    vrett
    -_-
    ve yourself
    is what i said
    not "do you"
    ugh

Best RP:Final Fantasy Chronicles of Exigo~The Fall of Spira
    Check it out. The Fall of Spira is finished!