Thread: How are you with kids?

Blog Entries

How are you with kids?

Now, I realize that a lot of members (if not a majority) are younger than 18, and still some are younger than like 14 even, but how do you do with kids? (Like, little kids. Or you can talk about older ones, too, if you really want to.) Do you handle them well, or does it always end in tears, loud noises, and a bloody stump where a hand once was?

This may come as a surprise to some, but I am actually considered fairly good with children by people who know me. I used to babysit most Sundays at my church, during and in between masses (although most of the time I sat there and drew, drank coffee, and made everyone listen to my music-which probably 75% of the time wasn't really appropriate, ha.) I've developed a few skills from that experience, however. Also, my roommate-until just a few weeks ago-ran a day care in our house, and there was at least one screaming baby here every morning by like 7. So that probably helped me develop a bit of a tolerance, too (though it may have already been there.)

I talk to kids like I talk to everyone else (without the swearing, that is.) I tease them just like I tease everyone else, and talk to them in strange voices (probably more frequently, because they enjoy the silliness.) One thing I'm not really good at is sustaining the play. I'll get bored and start ignoring them, or sit down and be like, "Okay, I'm done." And they'll be all like, "No, yer not done!" And I'll be like "Yes I am." Especially if they want to ride on my back or jump on me or something else that's physically demanding. I'm not very good at faking enthusiasm a lot of time, especially if I'm already tired, so I can't really do the whole "Oh WOW, what you just did was AMAZING!!" thing for little kids.

The older they get... the worse off I probably am with them. Although High Schoolers are almost like adults, so I can generally get along with them. It's the Middle Schoolers that generally annoy me a lot (no offense to those of you who are still in Middle School.)

How about some awesome stories of little kids? There was this one kid once who was playing with some toys. I went to put one of them away, and he was like "No, this one belongs to me!" And I knew it didn't, but was like, "Whatever," and let him play with it longer. Later on, he'd lined up all the toy cars, and going down the line, was claiming: "This one belongs to me, and this one belongs to me, and this one belongs to me..."

How about little kids shatting themselves? That's always awesome. There was this one little girl my roommate babysat who wouldn't go to the bathroom, and would try to hold her crap in. So it would seep out little by little. And like one time, she walked up to my roommate quite frankly and said, "I pooped in my pants." Another time, she was sitting on a chair with a big grin on her face, and my roommate asked her, "Are you pooping your pants?" With a huge grin on her face still, she knodded yes. Also, my nephew does this. In line at a store, he suddenly squatted down and was like, "I've got to poop NOW!" and my sister in law was like "NO!!" and tried to run him to the restroom. Honestly, I hear a lot of awesome stories about that kid.

I can't really think of any other cool stories right now... Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Registered User How are you with kids? winterborn86's Avatar

Re: How are you with kids?

I'm great with kids. I used to work in a first school as a trainee teaching assistant and I got on really well with the kids. I worked with kids between the age 5-8.
    Also as a mother you kinda have to be good with kids lol.

My TFF Family

My FFVII addicted nephew: Secret weapon
    My Bullet lovin half wolf cousin: Raider
    My complete FFVII nut sister: Unkown entity
    My Freya obsessed, grammar nazi brother: Doc rocco

#LOCKE4GOD How are you with kids? Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kids up to the age of 10, sure. They're full of beans, and I'm usually happy to respond in kind. I like playing with my girlfriend's eight-year-old nephew, spinning him round, throwing him into the pool, etc. Hell, we even had quad-bike races (he lives on a farm). He would win too, if it weren't for the fact that I get to use an adult bike and he doesn't

Beyond that, they start to get a little 'too cool'. Which is all good, they can play with their own friends. But I find they also start to emulate everything you do. I suppose they look up to older kids/teenagers? I know I used to do this with one of my elder brothers, and it would rile him up so much that my parents just forcibly separated us so I couldn't copy him (to avoid a fight, really).

I'm good with disabled kids though! My 'little' brother (16 this week -- eep he's getting old) is profoundly intellectually disabled and severely autistic, and it's often remarked that no one seems able to engage with him at the same level I do. He doesn't know much that doesn't come naturally (so he can feed himself, but not write, for instance), but with repetition and my own special methods, I've been able to teach him to high-five someone whenever a hand is presented in front of him, and to clap when prompted. It may not sound like much, but those are pretty much the heights of his learning capabilities and achievements in this regard -- both taught by me Always makes me so proud when people discover he can do those.
    Last edited by Alpha; 06-27-2010 at 04:18 AM.

Blog Entries

I've never been good with kids but oddly enough, they all seem to like me to the point where they all gravitate to me. This does not make it any easier lol. The younger the kid is, the more awkward it is for me. Even my mom has remarked that when I was a kid, I wasn't a kid. Never was one for all the screaming and yelling and running around, etc. I only actively hate the really obnoxious kids but the rest of them, I just don't know how to interact with, really. I just try to avoid putting myself in that situation as much as possible.

I do make exceptions, of course. Mostly for family and close friends of family who have younger kids. It's still pretty hard for me but it does help that they tend to be better behaved than the average child these days.

It's mainly because I do not have a high tolerance for the two things that pretty much define childhood--loud noises and tantrums/crying/anything to do with mood.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty good with children. I think it's because I can have the same excitement and energy they have over something, and I'm up for anything they feel like doing. I was watching my cousin a few years ago when he was about six, and he really wanted to go to the park. My aunt was out at the time, so it was just us two. I figured there's not a lot of sunshine for the rest of the day, and my aunt won't be up for it later, so lets GO! We had a great time, playing with a football and in the paddling pool. ^^

I feel awkward with younger children though, as if I'm going to hurt them. When my cousin was first born, I was allowed to hold him and even though he was absolutely fine in my arms, I kept imagining myself dropping him, or not supporting his head enough to the point it rips off.

I wouldn't say I was good with younger teenagers. I don't have patience for the immaturity I'd expect to find in a six year old. That can be fun sometimes, but constant? Nope. I despised many of the people in my year at my old school, purely because they had the most pointless arguments with my teachers.

When it comes to discipline, I know the difference between right and wrong, and will punish accordingly. I'd never ever raise a hand to a child, so if they misbehave I send them to their room, or any punishment their parents have in order (besides hitting/hurting them). I have the energy and sometimes the patience to be a "big kid", but at the same time I don't have no tolerance for misbehaviour.
    Last edited by Unknown Entity; 06-27-2010 at 05:40 AM.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth How are you with kids? Xanatos's Avatar

Usually when we have bunch of kids in our house my mom just sends them to my room, probably because there are games and some toys still left to keep them occupied, which means they'll be pretty much quite (more or less, depends on the kid/s really). I wish I could say I was good with kids but I'm not, I don't even like having them around, though it seems they're fond of me.

Honestly the best I can do is give them something to play with, usually gameboy or toys, PC in really extreme cases, than I expect of them to be quiet while I continue with my own business. If that fails, which happens I go to plan B, cartoons, I love plan B since I also love cartoons. Unfortunately there's no plan C, I don't know what to do beyond plan B so if that fails I'm pretty much screwed. I also developed high rate of tolerance and patience to kids, now I don't mind answering million questions they usually have no matter how stupid they are. What can I say, I don't know how to handle kids except for my little sister.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Bananarama How are you with kids? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think I'm pretty good with kids. My girlfriends nieces and nephew absolutely love when I'm around. The oldest one has a crush on me, which is pretty cute, and her littler brother always asks when I'm gonna come over.

Otherwise, I don't have too many kids stories.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Registered User How are you with kids?

I don't deal with too many kids, so I don't have many stories. However, a few years back my family decided to "adopt" my two little cousins into the household, and they've been living with us ever since. We got them when they were 3 and 5, and they're now going on 11 and 13... Seems like just yesterday when we got custody of them.

They're both girls, btw, and since I've never had any sisters, I thought it would be neat to have little girls in the house for once. Generally, they are pretty cool to have around, but sometimes they just do not get along with each other. I guess that's to be expected with any siblings, but they can get vicious and catty. I don't remember my brothers and I fighting like they do, and my parents said they didn't either.

I'm glad I've never had to deal with cleaning up poo from either of them... I don't think I would handle it that well. I think the worst situation I had to deal with a child's mess was when the elder sister got gum stuck in her eyebrow. She wouldn't tell anyone that she got it stuck there except for me, because she wasn't allowed to have it and she knew I wasn't going to tell on her. Ah.. Poor girl. She was scared that we were going to have to shave her eyebrow, but I put some baby oil on the gum and it came right off.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Certified tech, come at me! How are you with kids? SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can be pretty good with kids, I've adapted to the situation where I would be around kids. It started when I first starting having nephews around at age 13. Back then I didn't know how to deal with my nephews much because I never felt the interest in being around them, but I've changed that and I like to be around them more often than I used to. There was another time when I was working towards my community hours for my high school, I worked at the children's museum at the downtown of my area and I ended up enjoying it very much. I had a pretty easygoing time watching the kids to make sure they didn't do what they weren't supposed to and I was pretty good with cleaning up the stuff they leave behind. There was a summer camp session going on one day and the kids we had were pretty good and they were fun to have around. I still got stuff to learn but, hey, at least i'm getting experience. I may be well of when I'm a parent but I'm speaking too soon to know for sure haha.
    Currently Playing:

Blog Entries

Not to brag or anything, but I'd like to think I'm pretty damn good with kids. This is my third summer working with special needs kids, and everyone loves the work that I do, so I must be doing something right. I've made some really close bonds with some of the kids and their families, and it's really made an impact on my life as well.

All the kids know me as the fun type of person to be around and everyone loves to hang out and play with me, but if someone breaks a rule then they're not going to get off the hook until I can at least get a legitimate apology. I may be easygoing and fun, but I'm stern when I need to be.

I think one of the most fun stories was when I first started working, I got paired up with two brothers, ages 7 and 9. Both of them were like the typically aged kids at that time, just having a ton of hobbies and loved to learn new things. Anyways one day, I took them up to my old school (which later I found out the nine year-old had the same teacher I did when I was in his grade ) and taught them a couple of tricks on the skateboard. It was an all-around fun day!
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Crash Boom Bang How are you with kids? Lily's Avatar

I'm absolutely shite with kids, and I have one.

I just don't know how to talk to them, I'd rather just ignore them all completely, I'm painfully uncomfortable in their presence and if they try to talk to me, or show me summat, I just can't make myself act interested, I pretend but it's painfully uncomfortable and probably very noticable as well

You should see me when I do the school run, I'm on and out at the speed of light to avoid any interaction. I think Im childaphobic...

One of my worst nightmares is people gushing over baby pictures, and again, expecting me to be interested, Im sorry, but I really dont wanna look at a load of baby pics. Once you've seen one you've seen them all D:

Older kids, I'm not too bad with, at least you can have a semi decent conversation with them... though I'd sooner....not

I'm such a rubbish woman hahaha

forever alone in hell How are you with kids? final fantacy_tifa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hate children a lot but not ALL r bad I just can't stand the ones who talk a lot or r to hyper....little babys r fine
    But I just basicly hate kids . But the werid thing is that everyone I meet say I'm realy good with little kids,but if they get on my bad side there introuble><

**1 tequila,2 tequila,3 tequila,floor**

time your wasting just your do to better anything have you don't this reading you r why <-- read backwards,

DO NOT HURT MY PET LEMON lemons have feelings to you know !!

Blog Entries

I was just thinking about something; A lot of things that come out of my mouth are not very family friendly, heh heh. And sometimes I'll slip up and say them in front of the nieces or nephews. Generally not swear words or anything, but sometimes I'll say something like "Let's go KILL a man!" And my mom will be like "Don't say that in front of them!" Although my brother's are not being sheltered from swearing, because their parents think they'll hear it anyway. (One time my sister in law said "fuck" right in front of my nephew, and I just thought to myself, "Whoah!") So I don't have much to worry about with them, I suppose. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

The Lost Writer How are you with kids? Psiko's Avatar

I'm absolutely brilliant when it comes to entertaining kids. I have the energy, excitement, and the imagination to keep up with them on anything they like to do. I've won over the hearts of children whose parents SWORE they hate almost everyone they meet. Maybe there is just something about me that they trust.

Over the years my views on parenthood have changed. Five years ago I was a softie of sorts, but now I've become more open to the idea of strictness being beneficial. After all, I've seen tons of children who have push-overs for parents and those are almost ALWAYS the children everyone wishes would stay home with their parents.
    OLD SKOOL - A positive appellation referring to when things weren't flashy but empty of substance, were done by hard work, didn't pander to the lowest common denominator, and required real skill. Labour-saving devices, shortcuts that reduce quality and quitting before the task is done are not characteristics of "old skool."

In reference to computer games, refers to a game that had substantial playability without flashy graphics or eye candy. Old skool gamers appreciate difficult maneuvers, careful planning, and scorched earth policies.

In reference to role-playing games, old skool refers to games that tested players' wits, could kill off careless characters, and required dedication and inner strength to play. Old skool games didn't pander to the ideas that everyone is created equal, that all options are open to all races, that the markets were somehow free, and that a quasi-medieval society could have near 100% literacy.

See also classic.

Representing the Old Skool ways since 1984.

Crash Boom Bang How are you with kids? Lily's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Telegraph View Post
    I was just thinking about something; A lot of things that come out of my mouth are not very family friendly, heh heh. And sometimes I'll slip up and say them in front of the nieces or nephews. Generally not swear words or anything, but sometimes I'll say something like "Let's go KILL a man!" And my mom will be like "Don't say that in front of them!" Although my brother's are not being sheltered from swearing, because their parents think they'll hear it anyway. (One time my sister in law said "fuck" right in front of my nephew, and I just thought to myself, "Whoah!") So I don't have much to worry about with them, I suppose. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom
    Same pretty much - the amount of times summats slipped out when Ive got my kid in ear shot, I just cringe - but she knows the words are naughty - you'd think I'd of managed to reign that in 5 years down the line, but alas, I'm useless

Quote Originally Posted by Psiko View Post
    I'm absolutely brilliant when it comes to entertaining kids. I have the energy, excitement, and the imagination to keep up with them on anything they like to do. I've won over the hearts of children whose parents SWORE they hate almost everyone they meet. Maybe there is just something about me that they trust.

Over the years my views on parenthood have changed. Five years ago I was a softie of sorts, but now I've become more open to the idea of strictness being beneficial. After all, I've seen tons of children who have push-overs for parents and those are almost ALWAYS the children everyone wishes would stay home with their parents.
    I rule with an iron fist hahaha - I take no messing. What I say goes and there's no pandering to it. I can't be doing with those kids that are too soft though - cry when mummy leaves them etc, that would drive me insane. Temper tantrums will just see an early bed time - which is generally 7pm at the latest anyway/no treats Even though the swine is sat behind me insisting I need a new tattoo (she's adamant on this and wants a pen -__-) I'm hoping she will have a lie in the morn though 8F

I envy people who are great with kids though, like, I'm alright with my own, but even then I don't think I'm as good as I could be, I'm just generally not child friendly. I'm dreading the days she wants to bring pals home from school or god forbid, wants to have sleepovers........ D:

Children...taking over my house *shudders*

SOLDIER 3rd Class How are you with kids? Copperfire's Avatar

I've babysat, so I'm not too bad.

I guess it depends on the kid.

I'd never even dream of hitting a child though.

Children kind of hate me. You know how you're supposed to show them you mean business when you're baby sitting and assert your authority? I don't know how to do that. I either let the kid trample on top of me or make him cry. I can't figure out a good in-between unless you give me a good amount of time to figure things out, but by that time, the kid already hates me because of how wishy-washy I am about my attitude towards him. One minute I'm trying to play along and the next I'm trying to get him to do his homework, so he gets as confused as I do and we have a terrible time.

That's kids in general when you want me to sit there and watch them. Don't do that. I've made every kid I've been put in charge of cry by accident. One, I told I was the boogyman too. That didn't go over to well since he curled up in a corner and threw books at me to get me to leave the room. Another cried because...actually, I don't know why. She just started crying and pointed at me with a rather accusing finger (I think she sensed my inner evil. Who knows).

Oh, but if you just want me to play with one, it's all good. I'm amazing at hide and seek.

Blog Entries

On another note, I give Fate a pretty good spanking from time to time like a good daddy would, so I'd say I'm pretty stern but fair with kids.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

For me it depends on the kid.
    If the kid wants to play 2 player video games or do something quiet or constructive, awesome. Joking around and the like, still cool.

The ones I'm terrible with are the ones constantly jumping off walls and breaking things, partially as I don't feel I have any right to discipline someone else's kid. I'll try talking with them about what they're doing or something, but apart from that I'm more likely to phone the parent or something.

Thankfully my mate's kid, my godkid, is awesome.
    victoria aut mors

Registered User How are you with kids?

people consider me to be good with children, i don't fully know why mind. I don't hate kids at all.

when it comes to looking after them for some reason i seem to be more patient then i normally would be in a similar situation. i do have a high patient level for most things, though seem to have very little when it comes to me (if i have bad a mistake, can't do something, stuff like this). Also around kids (especailly the younger ones, i make sure to watch my language more then i normally would (once again this is normally quite clean anyway).

I currently don't have any children at the moment

Death Before Dishonor How are you with kids? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am very good with kids. I grew up in a very latrge family. There was always cousins, brothers, and sisters running around. This will come in handy because I am expecting my first kid very soon.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

I once hit a kid with a tire. He cried.

Until now!

Memento Rhapso How are you with kids? Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    I once hit a kid with a tire. He cried.
    Goodyear or Bridgestone?

Anyway, I think I'm ok with children. They don't seem to mind me a whole lot, kind of a neutral level. My younger cousins on the other hand think I'm amazing for some reason lol I think it's my little brother exaggerating about me. But, for the most part, I do well when they listen to me and are docile. I'm also an expert at helping shy children as I was horribly shy through age eight. My only problem with children is I'm afraid to be stern. It's not my kid, am I allowed to take that tone with it? Like once when my parents threw a party for their friends online, one lady brought her seven year old. Kid was a psycho, threw rocks at our cats, tried to smash my guitar, etc. Worst I did was took a Snape tone and said "Do not touch that guitar/do not throw rocks" and hid the guitar/ let the cat flee. Then I felt guilty lol. So I'd say I'm 75% good with kids, 25% uneasy.

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

Being a father of two I would hope that I am at least decent with kids. I am not one to judge my own abilities but I think I am a fair and just parent.

Children of all ages seem to be drawn to me because I am fairly animated and don't mind acting goofy around them just to show them a good time. Even though I am goofy and fun with kids I am still a strict with my older boy. I know when it is time to differentiate between being my child's best friend and dad to being a father (yes there is a difference) and disciplining accordingly.

I respect kids and their innocence and greatly enjoy their company most of the time. I do have my days though where I don't even want to deal with them but being a father, I don't have that option most of the time so I put on a happy face and deal with it.

I have always been fond of the little ones and have been told that I am great in my dealings with them.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards: