Thread: Does your teacher...

i have ears :) Does your teacher... Full Life's Avatar

Does your teacher...

does your teacher get sooooooooooooo anoyed when you put something in a story?

my teacher gets anoyed when i put a and then, so, said, and replied, she calls me the and then king its so anoying
    well at least its ohkay...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG]URL=http://www.ff-fan.com][/URL][/IMG]

Come Join my chat!
    http://mainlyrp.chatango.com/

The King Does your teacher... Tydis's Avatar

Re: Does your teacher...

sounds like someone is annoyed...He!!!

well its so anoying i had to wright a whole 10 page story again because i used 25 and thens!
    [IMG][/IMG]

Come Join my chat!

Memento Rhapso Does your teacher... Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Count yourself lucky kid lol, in my class we had these really large presentations, and the superintendent and other high rank officers came buy to judge them. My group got demoted to a B because my friend Sevyn froze up at his part of the presentation and I had to fill in for him. Bastards. . . .
    But yeah, the faster you kick the "And then" habit the better, because speeches and projects will come in the future and you need to be prepared

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"And then"'s are quite annoying...

She probably shouldn't get so annoyed with you, if she is. If I were you, I'd take what she says and apply it to your work. It's easy to get caught up using them often though, I'll admit, but I'm guessing you're still quite young, so you have time to improve (if that's what you want).

Try new things in your writing. If you don't know what else to use, ask her - she's your teacher, she should help you... it's what she is paid to do.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Bananarama Does your teacher... Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry kid, but you deserved it. "And then" is pretty much a useless phrase used for filler. We'll know what happens next when you say it/ write it. Also, your teacher is trying to teach you the proper way to write. Take their advice, because your papers and stories will be laughed out of class as you rise in education.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) Does your teacher... che's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Time Hero View Post
    does your teacher get sooooooooooooo anoyed when you put something in a story?

my teacher gets anoyed when i put a and then, so, said, and replied, she calls me the and then king its so anoying
    What the hell are you trying to say?

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

my teacher is annoying and she just changed a rule if we are doing a report on a movie or a film on a movie the movie has to have a book and we have to use lines word from word in the film
    [IMG][/IMG]

Come Join my chat!

Blog Entries

my teacher is annoying and she just changed a rule if we are doing a report on a movie or a film on a movie the movie has to have a book and we have to use lines word from word in the film
    It's exceptionally difficult to read what the **** you're trying to say, considering you use a negative amount of punctuation. Maybe listen to your teacher and become a better writer?

Ellipsis Does your teacher... Meigumi's Avatar
    Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Nah, I always try my best to use different words starting out in each paragraph. Like...

As I walked through the door, a scent of waffles rushed at me, and I thought, "Mmm, those waffles smell pretty good today."

Or something like that. In my English period, we learn different techniques to improve our writing and make it seem intresting. So my teacher never bugs me about my own writing. xD

Edit: I hope you get better in writing. Best of luck!
    Last edited by Meigumi; 06-17-2010 at 07:43 AM.
    .....And I also stole that cupcake.

TFF Family~:

Ice-cream loving brother Fate
    The great benevolent dark lord Elyon Demidias
    Lovable doll ViviMasterMage
    Soul Stealing, Chaos-loving, Pom-pom eating older brother Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus
    The Awesome and Dashing Thief, ethan
    The Stealthy Swordsman of Poetic Power, genome's blade

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    What the hell are you trying to say?
    hes tring too say his teachr is 1 stuck up bitch taking about how bad he is at spelling and grammer and then grading him badly on acount of it cuz shes a mean woman i thnk thats what hes trying to say but who knows i like fudge

Until now!

As annoying as they are, teachers are just trying to help ^~. Makes things easier for later on - trust me.

I remember when my spelling was atrocious and my teacher would used to nag and nag me... Eventually I made an effort to improve, but if it hadn't been for the nagging of my teacher I never would have.

So, if you heed the advice and kick the 'and then' habit you will do well young grasshopper .

Following the path for truth...

and ending the dream.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"My teacher is annoying and changed a rule. If we are doing a report on a movie or film..."

Then you lost me. I think you mean that she wants you to use quotes in your writing from the BOOK instead of the movie. Amirite?

Then if so, that's not a rule she just made up. It's called the progression of your studies. The reason why you have to quote from the book instead of the movie is because you're in an Literature class - not a media class.

From my experiences, you only get to watch the film to see a directors interpretation of the novel. If that's not the reason, it's usually done as a break from writing or reading.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Magically Delicous Does your teacher... Merlin's Avatar

Just wait until your teacher starts making you use quotation marks around phrases. That will really throw you for a loop. Ok, but in all seriousness, your sentence should have been written as follows:

My teacher becomes annoyed when I put "and then", "so", "said", or "replied" in my speech. She calls me the "and then" king. It is so frustrating.
    There are quite a few appropriate words to use in place of "and then". For example:

• First, Second, Third, etc
    • Finally
    • Next
    • Previously
    • Furthermore

Rather than saying the following:
    We went to the store and then we went to the movie theater and then we ate dinner.
    You would say:
    We went to the store, followed by the movie theater. Lastly, we ate dinner.
    Look, I threw in some bonus words in the example!
    Last edited by Merlin; 06-17-2010 at 11:33 AM.

yeah....
    [IMG][/IMG]

Come Join my chat!

Points you must remember to succeed:

1) The idea is yours!

2) No one comes up with your "original idea". Put quotes over it. A real paper (unfortunately) is everyone's top idea's condensed into your idea. Your job is to convince a professor that you are right based on other people's ideas. That is why 70% of a paper is in quotations, 20% is explaining those quotations, and the other 10 is conluding.

3) 80% of the students in these programs do not believe it. That means 20% listen. That means 15.4% of the total students told are convinced.
    tHe ChOsEn
    rJ floW
    .EcKS.
    Lionhart2001 aka Pete
    LocoColt04
    Telegraph aka Calamity Taco
    Neo Necron
    OceanEyes28
    Usagy
    This is why bitches love me

Human crack in the flesh, im the last of the best, one word to describe me? Spectacular yes"-Juelz Santana-

Quote Originally Posted by Full Life View Post
    yeah....
    What a riveting bump! You're totally not using "and then" anymore, good for you, kiddo!

Anyway, I noticed when doing a Video Game review for a contest a few years ago, it was pointed out to me that I use "nice" to much to describe things. I was so embarrassed to make such mistakes as that, but I took it to heart and made sure to check my "nice" adjectives from then on.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

If it doesn't come easily to you, it mightn't really matter much in the long term anyway.
    If you're wanting an occupation involving law, politics, journalism or something it *might* be necessary, but for most jobs no-one really gives a damn.

I notice the only place in my life I see people caring overly much about spelling and grammar is online, and online people aren't usually putting food on your table or cash in your wallet.
    victoria aut mors

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    If it doesn't come easily to you, it mightn't really matter much in the long term anyway.
    If you're wanting an occupation involving law, politics, journalism or something it *might* be necessary, but for most jobs no-one really gives a damn.

I notice the only place in my life I see people caring overly much about spelling and grammar is online, and online people aren't usually putting food on your table or cash in your wallet.
    This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. First of all, to get any job you must fill out an application. If you don't know basic writing fundamentals and rules, good luck with writing a resume an employer might not throw away immediately.

On top of it being a communication barrier with people who don't understand the rules of writing already, how is the original poster at reading if they can't write? Reading the news, although I doubt the OP gives a shit about it, could be very ignorant. Commas, colons, and other types of punctuation could be <i>the</i> difference between being informed and being ignorant.

Woot-Woot!! Does your teacher... CloudA2K's Avatar

Well, I'd say that you're lucky. I'm currently in a college course and my teacher does not accept "and then." He expects us to be able to write without using slang or cliches of any kind. Besides, being able to write with correct grammar and spelling is very impressive, especially in the work environment. I'm not an expert on this, but I prefer that people use correct grammar because it is easier to understand what your purpose is when writing.

Maybe that's why your teacher is making a big deal out of it. She probably doesn't understand what you're trying to say or maybe she just takes her job very seriously. Either way you should not let it get to you. It is not that difficult to take out "and then", all I can advise is to start using a thesaurus and practice from there.

Best of luck to you!

Yes my teachers corrected me when I was writing poorly. They are called teachers for a reason.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Quote Originally Posted by CloudA2K View Post
    Besides, being able to write with correct grammar and spelling is very impressive, especially in the work environment.
    This sentence speaks volumes about how stupid our society really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf
    Yes my teachers corrected me when I was writing poorly. They are called teachers for a reason.
    Yes my painter washed the house. They are called painters for a reason.
    Last edited by Jin; 07-21-2010 at 04:52 PM.

Until now!

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. First of all, to get any job you must fill out an application. If you don't know basic writing fundamentals and rules, good luck with writing a resume an employer might not throw away immediately.
    Any job like those I mentioned earlier. Other jobs just have you signing safety agreements and jotting down your bank details. And resumes have templates available, in the case of Australian ones it's very bare bones. If it's too lengthy it'll be thrown away.

On top of it being a communication barrier with people who don't understand the rules of writing already, how is the original poster at reading if they can't write? Reading the news, although I doubt the OP gives a shit about it, could be very ignorant. Commas, colons, and other types of punctuation could be <i>the</i> difference between being informed and being ignorant.
    He has typed English, so it's not like he doesn't understand it. And he has effectively communicated with us better than most jobs require a person to. If you can't see that, maybe you're either working more privileged jobs or just don't have a good idea of the jobs available.

Full stops (periods I believe the Americans say in their version of English?) and sometimes capitalising first letters are all most employers I've had have expected in construction and security work. And since I work contracts, I've had a whole lot of different people signing my pay cheques.
    victoria aut mors

Registered User Does your teacher...

you wrote 25 and then's?

yeah that would be annoying to have to write it all again, but 25 and then's? what were you writing about?

perhaps your teacher just wants to help you... or maybe she understood the annoyingness of the word's and then after watching "Dude where's my car", but seriously try using other words or replace all "and then" with "after that" .... though this may land you in some trouble