Thread: House got broken into...

Vagabond Thief House got broken into... Rikkuffx's Avatar
    Blog Entries

House got broken into...

So the house a couple houses awya from me got broken into yesterday,during the daytime. I guess it was a bunch of kids/teenagers and they just trashed the house,but my point is,I got a wii for xmas,and i'm now paranoid lol. i'm going around hiding pieces in different places because my mom is at work and i'm going into work tonight. So we are both paranoid,i would take my wii and put it in my trunk and just take it to work with me but my mom thinks if it sits in my trunk for a few hours that the cold will ruin it,what are your opinions/ideas? I hid it in a clothing box with some clothes ontop and i'm probably gonna hide it somewhere in teh house,i put the controls in a trash bag and in a closet and the games i put in a box with some used wrapping paper and that went in my closet. I know they most likely wont hit the same street again but just in case they do i wanna be safe and if there are no cars in the driveway...then yea. and they could just be a few neighborhood kids being jerks so yea. any ideas? sorry for this being so long and sorry for the poo.r grammar and whatnot just typing fast cause i'm kinda paranoid heh. Thanks in advance
    ~TFF Family~
    Doc Rocco-My illegitimate and nefarious son
    Fishie-My lusty neighbor who loves to egg old people!
    Martin-My awesome Tff lil bro who lets me cry on his shoulder!
    Unknown Entity-My wonderful banner making sis <3
    Halie-my slightly crazy but wondeful sis <3
    My geeky maple story loving bro-joesteel64

Genocide Unfolds, I Forgive All Chez Daja's Avatar
    I'm so sorry that this happened.

When my mother was young, her house was broken into before Christmas. All the presents were stolen, everything was a wreck and there was no Christmas for her.

She's not that paranoid now, but she still won't let the house be alone without at least one person in it around Christmas time. Understandable.

Just try not to worry too much. Hide things in strange places... places where nobody else would guess. Maybe a tinned food cabinet, or under the dining room table or something.

The person in my avatar is me.

THIS SIGNATURE IS VERY DISTRACTINGS

I was the holder of the highest amount of rep that ever lived on TFF. 1788. lolz. I ween.

Blog Entries
    thanks chez,yea i kinda wanna call outta work just so i can stay home and be here but my mom would kill me lol. I know they most likely wont come back to this street but I just wanna be safe,I know if i'm safe nothing will happen but if i just leave it out then something may happen.
    ~TFF Family~

[QUOTE=Chez Daja;1104540]I'm so sorry that this happened.

When my mother was young, her house was broken into before Christmas. All the presents were stolen, everything was a wreck and there was no Christmas for her.

[QUOTE]

"Then he slunk to the ice box. He took the Whos' feast. He took the who pudding, he took the roast beast. He emptied the ice box as quick as a flash. Why, the Grinch even took the last can of who hash. !"

But to address the topic at hand.....Just get a freaken alarm system. Nothing scares crooks more than wailing alarms (SILENT ALARM ACTIVATED!) I'm sure you've seen that one commercial where the big guy kicks down the front door, the alarm goes off and he books it. Think of it like that.

And, what's with the whole "Hide my Wii peices all over the house." Getting one peice taken would be just as bad as getting everything taken. It would still be unplayble. (Well, depending on what peice was taken.)
    Just take your damn Wii into your work with you. It's like hte size of a few DVD's. Put it under your desk. (Or under your Mcdonald's deep fry, whatever the situation may be) and take it home with you.

If you're really desperate for home security, just rig up a shotgun pointing at the windows with a trip line.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Cunnning Stunts;1104724][QUOTE=Chez Daja;1104540]I'm so sorry that this happened.

"Then he slunk to the ice box. He took the Whos' feast. He took the who pudding, he took the roast beast. He emptied the ice box as quick as a flash. Why, the Grinch even took the last can of who hash. !"

But to address the topic at hand.....Just get a freaken alarm system. Nothing scares crooks more than wailing alarms (SILENT ALARM ACTIVATED!) I'm sure you've seen that one commercial where the big guy kicks down the front door, the alarm goes off and he books it. Think of it like that.

And, what's with the whole "Hide my Wii peices all over the house." Getting one peice taken would be just as bad as getting everything taken. It would still be unplayble. (Well, depending on what peice was taken.)
    Just take your damn Wii into your work with you. It's like hte size of a few DVD's. Put it under your desk. (Or under your Mcdonald's deep fry, whatever the situation may be) and take it home with you.

If you're really desperate for home security, just rig up a shotgun pointing at the windows with a trip line.
    you know what?dont be a jerk,k thanks,bye,i didnt ask for a sarcastic answer.
    Last edited by Rikkuffx; 12-29-2007 at 05:00 PM.
    ~TFF Family~

[QUOTE=Rikkuffx;1104729][QUOTE=Cunnning Stunts;1104724]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chez Daja View Post
    I'm so sorry that this happened.

you know what?dont be a jerk,k thanks,bye,i didnt ask for a sarcastic answer.
    That wasn't Sarcastic.

That was me giving advice. There's nothing sarcastic about taking your Wii to work in with you and not just leaving it in your trunk.

I hope next time you get robbed, you're in your house and they CUT YOU for being a big baby.

Gingersnap House got broken into... OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oooookay then.

Rikku, if you're going to report a post to me, don't respond to the thread solely to tell him how rude he was. Your post borders on spam. In the future, I would suggest you PM him if that's all you need to say.

As for his first post, it may not have been exactly what you were looking for, but it was on topic and it was hardly an attack on you.

Cunnning Stunts, I know why you responded to her post the second time, but I would like to suggest PMing her or reporting the post next time. It's what the staff usually suggests to avoid arguments.

As for this topic, get a dog. That's my suggestion. People can shut off alarm systems without you hearing, but if you have one or two dogs in your house, they'll wake you up. I mean, alarm systems are definitely neat because the cops can be called automatically, but if you can accommodate a watch dog as well, I would invest in one.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    Home security...
    Plant cacti under every window. ^^
    Or broken glass, sharp steaks or something similar work too.
    Then lock your windows too. Get deadbolts. Security shutters whilst expensive can be worthwhile.

If you live with others, get them to look after things. If you live alone rig up some funny booby traps.

Or if you're that way inclined, you could just gain a reputation. Some people can be out for a week, and they're feared so much people will leave their junk alone. *whistles*
    victoria aut mors

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanEyes28 View Post
    Oooookay then.

Rikku, if you're going to report a post to me, don't respond to the thread solely to tell him how rude he was. Your post borders on spam. In the future, I would suggest you PM him if that's all you need to say.

As for his first post, it may not have been exactly what you were looking for, but it was on topic and it was hardly an attack on you.

Cunnning Stunts, I know why you responded to her post the second time, but I would like to suggest PMing her or reporting the post next time. It's what the staff usually suggests to avoid arguments.

As for this topic, get a dog. That's my suggestion. People can shut off alarm systems without you hearing, but if you have one or two dogs in your house, they'll wake you up. I mean, alarm systems are definitely neat because the cops can be called automatically, but if you can accommodate a watch dog as well, I would invest in one.
    right,i do have a dog and she dosent bark when people are at the door or come in anyway,sorry i responded to his post and reported it,hes on ignore from now on but he didnt need to be rude,any way i'm not worried about it anymore it was just the next day i was more worried about so you can close this topic if you wish,and sorry again.
    ~TFF Family~

This is my sin... House got broken into... Lucid's Avatar
    The sad thing is, if you put a cactus under your window or have a guard dog that might attack the intruder and they get hurt, then they could sue you for damages...which is pretty sad.

Best thing to do would be to make sure the dog at least finishes him off and buries him in the back yard.

But seriously, I found this. Read this to learn about burglars.
    http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/burglary.html

Read this to get some ideas of what you can do to protect yourself.
    http://www.statefarm.com/learning/be...y/burglary.asp

One good tip from this site is to:

"Mark your belongings with an engraving pen so that they can be traced and return them to you if stolen. These pens are usually available at your local police station. Ask your police department what numbers to use when marking your belongings. Never mark them with your social security number."

Another idea I heard from watching some show on TV, is to put a jewelry box of some sort in plain site on a dresser or table in your room and fill it junk jewelry and the like. The thieves may take this first and leave without bothering looking for anything else.

You could also get some of those false book things to hide your more valuable items in and stick it on a bookshelf with other books.
    Last edited by Lucid; 01-03-2008 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    "Mark your belongings with an engraving pen so that they can be traced and return them to you if stolen. These pens are usually available at your local police station. Ask your police department what numbers to use when marking your belongings. Never mark them with your social security number."
    Agreed also keep all sales receipts (in a safe place) and keep the unit serial number and UPC number wrote down with those receipts.

Most pawn shops are in allignance with the police and any stolen goods that are reported to the cops can and will be returned if they are pawned and you have proof that it is yours!!!

My appartment was broken into a few years back and a bunch of photography equipment was stolen and pawned, needless to say since we had the numbers for everything we had them back 7 days later and the guy that did it is still sitting in a jail cell. It was kind of funny cuz it was our neighbor that broke into are appartment!!!!!! i got to watch the cops bust him yay!!!
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Bananarama House got broken into... Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Normally thieves/ intruders don't work the same block/neighborhood twice. People are naturally going to be on alert more and it'd be too risky for them. You shouldn't have to resort to hiding anything like that, with the exception of things of extreme worth. But even then, a safety deposit box or maybe even a personal safe (fireproof!) could do the trick.

I'd go with deadbolts and window locks, or maybe even bars over the windows if you're really that worried. (They don't look like prison bars... unless you want them to. Mostly they're just kinda decorative looking painted wrought- iron.) I know it looks ghetto as hell, but sometimes it's what's necessary if you want your stuff to be safe.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

I loved when my house was broken into. Thanks to insurance, I was able to replace all the stolen games that I didn't play anymore with new ones and a new PS2. Sweet deal. I don't get why they didn't grab anything other than the PS2 and games though, there are DVDs, computer games...computers and so forth in my house, but whatever. They broke through the door. We have a new door and an alarm now. Really, it's just one of those things that happens from time to time, no need to get worried. Insurance will usually replace most things; the only real losses are things that can't be replaced like data (work or files on computers or memory cards, etc). I wouldn't really worry about it.

Until now!

House got broken into... Dragoon_Nick's Avatar
    Where the polar bears play at night and where the beavers are furry...
    What if that person doesn't have insurance? o_O

Well, no need to worry, as much as Wiis are rare, you shouldn't alter your lifestyle over potential robbery. Like Jintatsu said, beat some games, then have it robbed, buy new ones...

If that doesn't work, try having a safe spot, like under your desk, under your blankets, in the microwave....wait...ignore that last one ^^

Don't worry, its a wii, yes, but its not you'll die from it. I was robbed when i was 5, and the crook came in from my window while i was sleeping. Of course this has nothing to do with anything, but its quite funny how the crook slid by me...he could've said hello or something...impolite bastard!

My Awesome TFF Family

My awesome Obsessive Half-Breed Half Sister: Vampiric Delirium, My Yaoi-Loving Compassionate Daughter: Xeim, My Forever Intoxicated Vigilante Brother: Celtic_Silver, My Sister From Another Mister: OceanEyes28, My Awesome Cali Brother: Fishie, My adorable little pet bunny: Tiger Lily, My FF worthy awesome Homie, ManicDepression, My Cloud-loving Spartan Fenririan Brother: Cloud, My UFC Champion athlete fighter: BenRampage, My godsmack addict, Manchester United Fan Rival in Trivia Brother: Omega Weapon, My Trivial Addict Cousin: Phantom, My Uber bot slicer son: Zero, My Really Awesome Rival in Trivia Brother: Squall333, My Silly Dragoonic Sister: Kaos Dragon, My Drunken Step-Father Who Smokes Every 5 Seconds: SasuXNaru, My "Unknowingly Being in His Family" Brother: Rasler, My Bahamut-Loving Stalker Sister:Bahamut1990, My Insane Overlord Grandfather: Itachi Uchiha

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone,i'm over it now its just kinda scary and for the personw ho gave me a rep and a mean comment next to it saying "Someone's house got broken into and all you care about is a games console? What about the people who actually got broken into? Get your priorities right."my game console isnt my priority but as they are very hard to find now a days i'm lucky i even got one for xmas and of course I want it to be safe,you'd want it to be safe too if they are hard to find,geez,also i dont even know the people who got broken into so they arent my priority and im the one who chooses my priorities not you.Anyway,everyones advice is great and I will use it if anything does happen again. *hugs to all*thankies again.

Update as of 1/12/08 he was back...my neighbor saw the same car sitting between my house and my next door neighbors house,she was coming home and she saw a car sitting there with his lights off and was watching the house across the street,blah,i guess she made eye contact with him and then he turned his lights on and drove off after she drove into her driveway which is teh house next to the one he was watching

so i'm paranoid again lol and this guy really needs to go away,how can he be stupid enough to come back to the same street? oh and i guess when the police interviewed residents after the break in they said he was talking to them,this is creepy.

My neighbor did go after him but couldnt get the liscense plate number
    Last edited by Rikkuffx; 01-13-2008 at 03:03 PM.
    ~TFF Family~