Thread: How to cure all ills...

Sir Prize How to cure all ills... Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How to cure all ills...

It's a little known fact that I just convalesced from Sepsis, recently. I've been miserable before and I'll be miserable again at some point, no doubt. And while that was by no means the most uncomfortable I've been, it still was uncomfortable. But it initiated a nice train of thought...

During the illness, I took to treating myself to epicurean comforts like hot drinks, cold washcloths, old nostalgic movies, soft music, long baths, naps, good books, familiar games...ect... While this might not have contributed directly, it tremendously eased the stress which allowed me to heal. If I had been in a hospital, or even worse, at Uni it would have been nearly impossible to get better.

My point is...falling back on things like that...*shrugs* they help.

What do you do when you're sick, to heal, I mean?

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Genocide Unfolds, I Forgive All Chez Daja's Avatar
    Sleep. Drink orange or apple juice. Sleep. Drink orange or apple juice, once I'm too awake for sleep, I drink tea.

That's that really it. If I'm bored, I'll watch a movie, but mostly, I just sleep.

If you're talking about depression, I cope with it and try not to talk to anybody about it, save for 'now and again'. It hurts for a couple of days, weeks or months, then I'm fine. Oh, I do find that eating a warm and "homely" pudding, such as some rice pudding or semolina makes me feel a little better. I don't know why, I guess it reminds me of my childhood.

The person in my avatar is me.

THIS SIGNATURE IS VERY DISTRACTINGS

I was the holder of the highest amount of rep that ever lived on TFF. 1788. lolz. I ween.

Vagabond Thief How to cure all ills... Rikkuffx's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I take my vitamins(which i should be doing anyway cause i'm anemic LOL) I'll sleep tons and drink lots of teas. I usually drink green tea or cinnamon stick tea or even white tea or chai. I try to eat healthier than I do,I eat healthy anyway but i'll eat loads more of veggies and fruits if i have the appetite. Although last time i was very sick and in the hospital i hadnt ate for 3 days and didnt drink much cause i didnt have an appetite for anything. But I try to get tons of sleep and my trainer says not to work out as much,I'll also eat alot of soups and broth and stay warm to sweat out any infection or fever.
    ~TFF Family~
    Doc Rocco-My illegitimate and nefarious son
    Fishie-My lusty neighbor who loves to egg old people!
    Martin-My awesome Tff lil bro who lets me cry on his shoulder!
    Unknown Entity-My wonderful banner making sis <3
    Halie-my slightly crazy but wondeful sis <3
    My geeky maple story loving bro-joesteel64

Registered User How to cure all ills... Halie's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Colds - Tangerines all the way . Other fruits with Vitacmin C like apples and oranges help, but Tangerines are my favourite (besides grapes...), and they're also quite small, so you can always take a few with you if you're out and about.

Tea helps a lot, best to start drinking it as soon as you can instead of waiting for it to cool, but of course, try not to burn your mouth =P. Carry tissues around a lot, too, in case you have the sniffles...

And some pain killers. .

Coughs - I try not to talk as much as I can, and again, tea, tangerines... yadda yadda yadda. Wrap up warm... same applies for colds.

Technically, none of this works for me because I still end up ill for four months. >.>

Courage, Character, Confidence. How to cure all ills... Lunasa's Avatar
    I don't get sick very often, not in the cold dept, anyways. I'm more of a GI bug person, because horrible food does horrible things. Constantly. Since I'm trapped in college for some time, I kinda have to deal with GI discomfort on a weekly basis, depending on what atrocity comes out of the meal hall. Bleh. Mother's food is always the best.

A remedy? Alka Selzer, gatorade, gingerale.

"Let oneself make oneself a fool. Blind. Senseless. Confused."
    ~Anonymous

Bananarama How to cure all ills... Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunasa View Post
    I'm more of a GI bug person, because horrible food does horrible things. Constantly. Since I'm trapped in college for some time, I kinda have to deal with GI discomfort on a weekly basis, depending on what atrocity comes out of the meal hall. Bleh. Mother's food is always the best.
    This was me for 3 years of college. If you can, get to the dining halls right when they serve dinner. That way the meat isn't sitting around for hours.... otherwise, you might wind up getting tapeworm like my roomates and I did. Not fun.

I don't usually get sick. I try to have a ton of vitamin c every day, and when I feel a cold coming on, I take an Emergen-C and start in with the Zicam.

I haven't had the stomach flu in a long while, but the last time I did, I couldn't hold anything down, except for white rice and applesauce. It works wonders.

Other than that, I just try to eat healthy, and drink a ton of water. It usually helps a lot.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Arachnie Suicide How to cure all ills... ChloChloAriadne's Avatar
    <3 I know you've not been well lately. Glad to see you back at TFF and stuff.

Me? I usually have a cold of some sort, as I have an extremely shitty immune system. I ignore it, usually. When I think about it, my nose is blocked and I have mild sinus right now. But I'm always like that.

Sadly, most of the sick I get isn't sick that you can make feel better with hot water bottles and shit XD. I have a fuxy reproductive system that puts me in excruciating pain for a lot of the month. It's been sixish years now and I'm a little used to it, but every now and then it gets so bad I literally cannot move. So, generally then I take a few special painkillers and snuggle up in bed. Just lay there and think, or watch a few films.

Once a year I tend to get Influenza A very badly, and something else that's not been identified but makes my neck hurt a lot. The first couple of days is often spent in hospital, but then I sit on the computer at home, talking to Eddie. He makes me feel better ^^
    I've been on this site since 2006 woah

Bass Player Extraordinaire How to cure all ills... Joe's Avatar
    What do I do to help me feel better when I'm sick?

I have a long history of being pretty effing sickly....that and getting off the wall diseases. I supposed had a case of strep back in middle school that lasted over a month, but, weirdly, I only had a sore throat for three days. And there was the episode of cat scratch fever I had freshman year, which was mis-diagnosed, and resulted in having a lymph node abscess, and consequently being drained.

Mostly when I feel a sick coming on is I take extra Vitamins. Flintstone Vitamins xD. Why take a huge-ass horse pill when you can chew two-three gummy bears and get the same effect? Also, if I feel like I'm running a fever, I bundle up, or take an insanely hot shower, so I can start sweating the fever out, as most of my symptoms seem to come from the fevers.

but yeah, other than that not much else makes me sick. Usually killing a fever makes me worlds better.

I'll add more later, but I'm kind of in class right now, waiting for it to end, and I'm pretty bored, hahaha.

-Joe
    (TFF Family):

My TFF Family:
    My Anime Addicted sister Athna Loveil
    My Unspoken Scabbia Loving Bro Fishie
    My Godsmack addicted brother Omega Weapon
    My Kooky Soap opera addicted sister Rikkuffx
    My Kinky Chipmunk Cousin Unknown Entity, because, you know, cousins can still do stuff in certain states.
    My Twin-like bro Ruin_Tumult
    Craven
    Slots still available, PM to join!

Born Again Atheist How to cure all ills... Sarah's Avatar
    I'm a fan of surrounding myself with familiar things when I'm not feeling well. That means playing my favorite, old games (usually SNES RPG's), watching some of my favorite cartoons or shows, and grabbing my favorite blankets. Without these familiar, happy Sarah making things, I will never truly feel better. I really need to de-stressing that results from those things.

Nourishment while I am sick can be a bit difficult for me, as it almost always involves my stomach. For solid foods, I usually stick to pasta or rice, with an occasional bowl of cereal with soy milk. For beverages, I usually have warm soy milk (chocolate or nog), peppermint/fennel/chamomile/random herbal tea, teeccino, and Propel. Occasionally, I have rice noodle soup, too.

Obviously, taking it easy helps, too. I sometimes have a hard time with that, depending on how often I've been sick or if the house needs to be cleaned. I try my best. Often, though, I either rest too much or nowhere near enough. That's why the favorite things are important for relaxing.
    Why the hell is everyone's sig so long? Be polite and use a freakin' spoiler tag!:
    Bring back Pete for S-Mod!
    Down with Word Games! Eradicate post counts! One liners are valid responses, too!

I haven't been severely ill in awhile, my most recent was a pretty terrible cold that had me feeling like the walking dead. I just cranked up my space heater, threw on some cartoons, and slept for half the day, woke up the next day and stressed about missing some classes and went to work, stayed up late playing catch up in school so I could go out Saturday, and woke up the following morning (Saturday) feeling like the walking dead again.

So I went to work, came home, and slept for the entire day of Sunday again.

I like to sleep when I feel terrible. For that matter... I like to sleep in general. =D

Head colds are the worst, especially when my throat feels like crap.

Blog Entries
    I'm the sort of person who doesn't get sick very often but when I do it's usually something that knocks me flat for a week or more. Usually once or twice a year. I go for the traditional things that remedy/ease the misery. Warm ginger ale and saltines, chicken noodle soup, favorite movies I've watched dozens, if not hundreds of times, etc. And of course the all-important blanket and pillow on the couch, preferably with a box of tissues, a paper bag, and water handy. Delsym for coughing, Day/NyQuil for cold/flu, Tylenol for headache and I weather most other symptoms with the above methods. I don't usually go to the doctor when I get sick unless it's something more serious, like strep. Haven't had that in years, though.

I actually stay away from coffee and tea when I'm sick, and it's about the only time I can do that without the inevitable crippling headache that comes from going without for even just one day.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Govinda
    Whisky, duvets, and Aretha Franklin.

Blog Entries
    When I fall ill, the best things that make me recover the quickest are water, comedy, and sleep. Water is just a natural thing that the body needs, so I step it up and drink about double the amount of water that I normally do. Comedy, like videos and movies and the like all help out immensely as well for me because it keeps me entertained during the small gaps in time that I am not asleep. As for sleeping, I normally bundle up with like five different blankets, plus I also wear my ear-warmers to bed, because if my ears get all cold, I feel very miserable indeed.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Drink a lot of water and tea, it sounds strange, but usually when I am sick I keep on continuing sports badly. I sweat out a lot of bad shit that's stuck away in my body. Sweat it out baby!
    And think happy thoughts, like apples, and llama's.

Peace out
    Blargh?!?!