Thread: Graaaaaandfather clocks

TFFF Ghost Graaaaaandfather clocks Howling Wind's Avatar

Post Graaaaaandfather clocks

So, in this thread, we talk about BIG NOISY CLOCKS! Oh yea!

Okay so last week my mom took me to this old house kind of out of nowhere to meet a new friend she made at work cuz you know moms work these days and shiz. I swear I have seen these things before but its been FOREVER. Wish I could have got a picture but I found one online that resembles it quit a lot. Damn thing made me jump. When I started googling these things after the visit... BY GOD MORE THEN ONE COMPANY STILL MAKES THESE THINGS! THEY ARE STILL MADE! AND THEY COST THOUUUUSANDZZZ.

Okay calm down Kristen -_- But seriously... they are kind of neat but I don't know a whole lot about them yet. But I guess it would hurt to have one fall over on you. I managed to find a video on youtube of what kind of looks like the exact same clock. But I'm not sure. It was 7 feet tall or more. It sounded pretty but noisy XD

This thing costs THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS! WTF IS IT MADE OUT OF?! MAGICAL TREE CHUNKS?!

So what about you guys? Do you love em? Hate em? Have one? Seen one? I mean besides the one in this video XD
    Spit out your stride gum and chew another piece already... or I'll haunt you.

Sharing is caring, and caring is ment to be shared Graaaaaandfather clocks The Dark Crystal's Avatar
    I went to visit my grandparents here recently to help my grandfather finish his pole barn for our quarter horses. Didn't notice the thing but by god i sure heard the damn thing! It was cool at first but when I'm off work I love to sleep In, and that could be anywhere till or past noon. Well needless to say I didn't get to sleep in past noon because of that contraption!

By the end of the week I was ready to toss it out my window!

Their cool though, and it definitely takes a lot of skill to craft one of these clocks even today. All the ones that are high in price like that are hand made from scratch, so that's why most are pretty expensive.
    THE GREAT CONJUNCTION IS THE END OF THE WORLD! Or the beginning. Hm! -Aughra

gaming service ID:

Omg thats crazy XD I think the people had theres to automatically turn off at like 10pm or something so it shuts the hell up at night and auto turns on in the morning. There was a chord on the back that wasn't plugged in soooo.. Dunno how the hell that works xD My dad says gravity runs them so I have no idea what the plugin was for. Weird.

Sharing is caring, and caring is ment to be shared Graaaaaandfather clocks The Dark Crystal's Avatar
    Yes that is correct the pendulum inside is constantly under the force of gravity which in turn keeps it in motion by gathering kinetic energy as it swings back and fourth.

gaming service ID:

MIND BLOWN! The tick tock sound sure is neat =D My dad wears a old wrist watch that he winds up every morning xD it just ticks. SUPER FAAAST. Also I found the website for this clock. Guess the plugin is for a light inside you can turn on. Makes sense now. Just said it was made out of select hardwoods and veneers. Leaves magical tree chunks out of it. I do like the old fashioned keys for the bottom door though =D My hope chest by my bed is like that but I can open it with a paper clip if I wanted to XD

Dude. ME and you are super active on this forum right now...

Well if you take some shrooms anything can be made out of magical tree trunks!

Yes some the ones that were made in the early/mid 20th century and most today's will have a light in the mid section, or in the clock itself so you can see everything better. This is from my own personal experience seeing them, so don't quote me on that.

With a paper clip!? Young thugs these days! haha!

Edit: oh yeah, like I said it's been awhile since I've been on myself. Now that I have gotten back I seem to be addicted.
    Last edited by The Dark Crystal; 01-04-2015 at 06:15 PM.

gaming service ID:

I invented Go-Gurt. Graaaaaandfather clocks Clint's Avatar
    I have a 100 year old grandfather clock sitting in the other room. It's maple with a gold plated face. It's also broken right now. The pendulum stops after a couple of minutes. I'll have to get that fixed one of these days. Though it's been broken for a few years now, so I don't know when that will be.

Also, this is a little off topic, but when I read the title of this thread, I thought it said "grandfather cocks."

Clint. I FRIGGIN MISSED YOU.

No. Old wrinkly cocks. Gross. Also.. your CLOCK sounds awesome =D

Sicc in the head & n0t sober. Graaaaaandfather clocks noxious.sunshine's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We used to have a grandfather clock.

I think it fell over and broke because the base was broken somewhere. I remember it getting set back up but the side panels were barely on it at them at point and it'd sway from side to side just a bit.

Then it fell over again and really broke so it was disposed of.

On a side note, one of my best friends used to call her grandpaw "Grandfather Clock" joking around..... My mom thought his last name really was Clock for like a year. Huehuehue

XD Omigawd! Good evening Mr. Clock! I just woke up like a hour ago and reading your post my sides hurt XD LOL! I wonder if anyone out there actually has the last name clock! (Goes to google) I might find something =D

@Crystal yeah I use the skeleton key to open my hope chest all the time, I just wanted to see how easy it was to break into people's houses in the 1800's <_< Of course if paper clips weren't a thing, I'm sure something else would have worked. Maybe even careful work with a tooth pick. I'll have to give it a go =D

Bananarama Graaaaaandfather clocks Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I used to have a grandfather clock... at my grandparents house. Unfortunately, they went the way of all older people and I wound up uh, inheriting the house, and all of it's contents. I loved how annoying it was with it's ringing every hour, though I think we could set it to night hours where it would be silent.

Winding it every week was a pain though, especially when I wasn't in the house every week to wind it, and subsequently set and reset the clock.

I gave the grandfather clock to my moms best friend and her daughter (who is like my sister). The clock was beautiful and I'm glad someone is using it. I also remember it got screwed up when we had an earthquake in like 2011, but not my problem.

I'm not sure if I would want one when I get my own house and would have kids running around it.

Fun fact, the clock was a 50th anniversary present for my grandparents, and Bill Clinton (president at the time... 1996), and Hillary signed an official card to them, congratulating it. Little ironic given his indiscretions.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers