Thread: Gonna attempt something; need some help

Delivering fresh D&D 'brews since 2005 Gonna attempt something; need some help T.G. Oskar's Avatar

Gonna attempt something; need some help

Pretty sure this might go into General Gaming or Digital Community, but it's something that most of you might not have even heard of, so feel free to change to the right place if necessary.

I've never been a Wiki editor in my life, and much less a keeper of a Wiki for a specific theme, but I feel I should do this at least once. I'd like to have some help, even if you guys haven't ever heard of this game. I know a few people around here that might help a bit with the game series or the Wiki management, but if you want to help it would be appreciated. I don't want to end with a Wiki I have to pay or something.

Now, I'm sure that most of you kiddies haven't ever heard of the Wizardry series. It's an old game made a long time ago by two computer students, which eventually turned into a series of games with modest popularity, and ironically, a near-fanatical popularity outside of its birthplace (it's far more popular in Japan than in the US)

The game is a dungeon crawler style of RPG, where you make a set of characters and place them upon a single dungeon, from which you complete a series of tasks to further advance the storyline. The dungeon crawler genre is one of the darker (speaking in terms of popular knowledge) genres in RPG series, the most recent series being Etrian Odyssey. Some legendary games were released in that format, most notably the aforementioned Wizardry and Might & Magic.

Now, with the hefty group of games produced (9 in the US and 20+ in Japan, for several consoles but mostly on PC), it's odd that little if any attention might be given to this game, and possibly to the series in general.

I made a slight check around Google, and the results are none: only a bit of general reference information in Wikipedia, and nothing else. So, I decided, perhaps in a brink of insanity or maddening genius, to make a Wiki page dedicated to such genre in hopes of bringing these series to light, if only once at a time. So, if you are interested in helping with such a page, and serve as editor of any kind; supporter; even perhaps a source of info for the games, make yourselves known. If you think this is a senseless idea...well, don't be so harsh. It ain't bad to give it a try, but I don't seem to be capable of doing this alone.

If it seems odd that this falls under General Chat, I followed the unwritten rule that "if you ain't sure where it should be, place it in General Chat and then hope a Mod does the decision for you". Don't go bashing me for that.
    Delivering scathing wit as a Rogue using Sneak Attack.

Pester me on the Giant in the Playground Forums if you really need me.

The Final Boss Theorem:
    The size of the ultimate form of the final boss is inversely proportional to it's chances of actually beating your party. If you agree with this, please copy and paste this valuable piece of info on your sig. AND, if you're evil and villainous...never settle for a big form when a smaller form is more kickass...

'Tis a shame I can only place names now...:
    Silver, Omnitense, Govinda, Aerif, Meier Link,
    (whatever is the name of) The Stig, Grizzly, Fishie,
    Craven, Spiral Architect, Flash AND Froggie.

Spaces still available. Join today!!

Nomu-baka, this is FAR from over...:

I've messed around with the Wizardry series a little bit (the older games are emulatable with my DosBox setup). And I am familiar with Wiki conventions a bit (I used to edit articles on Wikipedia). So if you'd like my help, send off a PM to me or contact me through one of the IM addys on my contact page. Got it?
    My TFF Family

My Chocolate and Theory lovin' Niece -- Unknown Entity
    My CRAZY NUTTY Aussie sisters -- Tiger Lily and superjj

Delivering fresh D&D 'brews since 2005 Gonna attempt something; need some help T.G. Oskar's Avatar
    Alright, talked with DJ and set up the request. Should be ready at any moment.

If we manage to get the request accepted (we've placed a solid argument for it), we'll be asking for more people to make the work a bit easier. Most notably, someone to provide custom pics and maybe someone that can work in altering the scheme of the pages (if possible). Sources are always requested; if anyone manages to be fluent in Japanese and has played any of the Japanese-only Wizardry games, it would be of great help.

...Well, that last one is a big hopeful, but still something. We may never know when we'll find someone like that...
    The Wiki has already been created. Please, if possible, try and help a bit on making this project grow. If you know anything about WIkipedia and how to edit, but nothing about the game, it doesn't matter. If you know about the game and want to be a source, but don't know about editing, it doesn't matter (I'm learning with time). If you don't have that, but you're good at editing pictures and the like, it doesn't matter. All we need is people that link to people who might be interested.

Wizardry Wiki (The page is also linked in my sig)
    Last edited by T.G. Oskar; 09-26-2008 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Can't believe the Wiki is running and I didn't updated this. Too bad this can't be bumped :P
    Delivering scathing wit as a Rogue using Sneak Attack.

Pester me on the Giant in the Playground Forums if you really need me.

The Final Boss Theorem:
    The size of the ultimate form of the final boss is inversely proportional to it's chances of actually beating your party. If you agree with this, please copy and paste this valuable piece of info on your sig. AND, if you're evil and villainous...never settle for a big form when a smaller form is more kickass...

'Tis a shame I can only place names now...:
    Silver, Omnitense, Govinda, Aerif, Meier Link,
    (whatever is the name of) The Stig, Grizzly, Fishie,
    Craven, Spiral Architect, Flash AND Froggie.

Spaces still available. Join today!!

Nomu-baka, this is FAR from over...: