Thread: Gardening

Blog Entries

Gardening

So, with the economy being as fantastic as it is right now, a lot of people have turned to growing their own fruits and vegetables. So, my question is, who here grows their own produce? What do you grow, and how do you like it compared to what you find in the stores?

I used to grow tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and eggplants. I always found them to taste much better than the store bought versions. Granted, this may be because I took the time to plant and grow everything myself, but I liked them a lot as well.

So what about you guys?
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Blog Entries

Re: Gardening

I love homegrown tomatoes. They taste good. My dad grows them in the backyard. They are pretty tasty. My dad also makes salsa and chili with the tomatoes. My dad also grows homegrown cucumbers. They taste pretty good as well, but I dont like cucumbers that much but they still taste better then other storebought versions of cucumbers.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

I don't really grow veggies since, I dun like them that much I'm picky so I wouldn't be able to figure out what to grow. My neighbor grows sugar cane! I wanna do that haha.

I only have lame flowers that I can't eat

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Elder View Post
    I only have lame flowers that I can't eat
    You've never eaten flowers before? I have. They taste ok. I've also tried to eat a sunflower before, but it was too big. And it didn't taste too good.

Anyone else tried to eat a flower before?

Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Bass Player Extraordinaire Gardening Joe's Avatar

Never tried eating flowers, but I remember reading about some kids who were hallucinating and got really sick from eating Jimson Weed. Apparently you don't mess with that stuff.

I remember my dad used to grow peppers though, serranos IIRC. He still has a bunch of dried out peppers that he uses for chili and stews. It's amazing. I was thinking about starting a garden when I eventually move out, but I don't really eat any fruits or veggies. I could try growing Watermelon, though.

Also, as someone who works in a produce department, I can ascertain that the vegetables we order from local growers seems to look a lot more appetizing than those we order from the distribution centers.
    (TFF Family):

My TFF Family:
    My Anime Addicted sister Athna Loveil
    My Unspoken Scabbia Loving Bro Fishie
    My Godsmack addicted brother Omega Weapon
    My Kooky Soap opera addicted sister Rikkuffx
    My Kinky Chipmunk Cousin Unknown Entity, because, you know, cousins can still do stuff in certain states.
    My Twin-like bro Ruin_Tumult
    Craven
    Slots still available, PM to join!

Blog Entries

The building down my block grew sunflowers once, but I never got the seeds.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a big fan of sunflower seeds. Pumpkin seeds are good too, if they're toasted and rubbed in cinnamon and sugar, but I much rather prefer sunflower seeds.

OH, my neighbor has a persimmons tree, but I can't stand them. They've gotta be almost rotten before they're good, and I hate the idea of eating almost spoiled fruit.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    You've never eaten flowers before?
    The closest I've ever gotten to eating flowers is drinking Jamaica:

It's deliscious... almost as good as Kool Aid. My friend's mom made it for me the first time I had it and I was like, "why are there flower petals in my drink? lol
    Last edited by GypsyElder; 05-22-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Ta DA!!!:

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

I like gardening. My parents used to do it a lot and they taught me some secrets. Currently I am growing my own tomatoes in my backyard. It's looking good so far. Still got a ways to go though.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Blog Entries

Moogable, that is really cool. Back when I was in jamaica there were small peppers that grew on trees. they were small but hot. I put one in my pocket and it burned a hole through it. thats pretty hot. kinda like me. haha.

Pete, that is really cool. I had some pumpkin seeds yesterday. My friend gave me some. They were pretty tasty. and yeah I know what you mean about spoiled fruit. Thats why i dont care for bananas. I would eat one if I had to but otherwise I wouldnt eat one ever.

Gypsy you are really silly lol, you can't drink a country jamaica! trust me I've been there before, its not possible because its not a drink. that pitcher of cool aid looks good though, yum.

loaf, its a long process, but thats cool that your parents teach you secrets. my parents made me learn the hard way.

are there any secrets that parents teach you that you want to share?

It's Jamaica not Kool aid. silly Rocky.

Kool aid does not have flower petals in it.

Eventhough you can't see them in that pic, they probably took them all out.

and omg I just remembered thay have Jamaica flavored kool- aid! win win win

Last edited by GypsyElder; 05-22-2010 at 08:23 PM.

Ta DA!!!:

From The Clint Eastwood

I keep the secrets in the fam.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Blog Entries

oh my gosh thank you for correcting me Gypsy Elder I had no idea that I read that wrong until I saw your post because I usually dont reread what I have to say because I would I I said it after all you know what I mean? Jamaica flavored kool aid sounds good though but I wonder if it tastes like Jamaica and in what way, does it taste like the people or something I don't know. Oh well maybe we should hang out and try it sometime?

and thats cool Loaf I know what you mean, I have some dark secrets too but I keep them in the family as well but I'll give you a small hint if you want Can you guess who I am?

Last edited by Rocky; 05-22-2010 at 08:23 PM.

Blog Entries

I do a little gardening... Or at least, I used to. I grew La Roma tomatoes for sauce and cukes for pickling. That and the whole Horticulture degree kind of...well...spoils the fun of it.

And, no, Joe...stay far away from the Jimson Weed. Datura is chock full of alkaline toxic hallucinogens, in the same way as Deadly Nightshade. Shit like Scopolamine and Atropine, while being useful drugs all the same, aren't for munching.

EDIT:
    When I was twelve I did eat like seven Narcissus flowers on a 50$ bet. I didn't have a lot of ways of making money when I was twelve and I knew enough that I would probably just have a bad vomiting fit rather than paroxysms and death. So it was true...and so I earned 50 bucks.

-Sin
    Last edited by Sinister; 05-22-2010 at 11:38 PM.

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Only really grow two things myself, one edible, one likely inedible (though I have heard you can extract water from some.

Herbs - pretty much any I can get my hands on, the majority are fairly low upkeep and fresh herbs are great to have on hand for cooking.
    And...
    Succulents (Cacti) - low maintenance once again, well suited for Australian weather and some can look quite striking in the right setting.
    victoria aut mors

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We don't really have a place to grow anything. Because we live on the second floor, our garden isn't attached to the flat and is with the other gardens... which is all over grown with stingy nettles (Urtica dioica). We have our own private balcony, but we never got around to doing anything on it.

I do remember that we used to have a blackberry bush in the garden when I was little. I don't know if anyone actually planted it or if it just grew with the nettles, but they were safe to eat. Pretty tasty too, and they weren't as seedy as the store bought ones. I don't actually go down to the gardens, so I don't know if it's still there.

Speaking of those gardens full of nettles... one summer, nan noticed that the nettles had moved from the garden on the end all the way to our garden. So, she having nothing to do with her time, and me and my brother being home, decided we'd go on a mission to clean the gardens. I spent nearly two weeks of my summer being stung by nettles, chased away by bees and wasps, and being laughed at by some of the neighbourhood kids. Granted, some of the kids saw what we were doing and helped out, but they weren't the kids who I went to school with... -_-

Anywho, the gardens looked really good afterwards. The council said we'd done some good work, and that they'd come over to dig the soil up and replace it with newer soil and grass, but they never did. And now the gardens are full of nettles again. ><

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Death Before Dishonor Gardening Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Me and my roommate have a plot out on his families farm. We grow all types of things there: Greens, Tomato's, Cucumbers, Peppers, Canteloupe, Watermelon, Corn, Green Beans, Carrots. We have a deep freeze filled with bagged veggies. We grow gigantamongous watermelons.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Asking all the personal questions. Gardening RamesesII's Avatar
    I am a god, where ever the hell I please.
    Blog Entries

I have a lemon,lime and orange tree out in the back yard as well as two different types of avocado, the avocados are great but one is massive and we never get to use them all and if you have never smelt them before rotten avocados don't smell to pretty.

I would love to get a vege garden going but I am afraid the dog would kill them all, not to mention the kids wouldn't be to forgiving.
    A mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer.
    --Ancient Egyptian Wisdom, 2200 B.C.

Crao Porr Cock8, Go and get a Cock8 up ya.

The finer details of a signature:

CHE- "I pee sitting down after I have sex because for some reason after I have sex and I try to pee, it goes everywhere."
    Nuff said^

My loving TFF Family:

My beautiful go-go dancing Queen Aara
    My brother Meier Link, proudly supporting the World Wide Institute of Booze since 1982.
    My Spasmodic, spamtastic, spammer nephew Fate.
    My brother HUNK, he who wears the number 1 headband.
    My glowing Goddess of Egyptian thingy's, Unknown Entity.
    My Unique and unpredictable mother Kilala ^^.
    My little arcade freak brother nra4.
    My brother Captain of the Dragoon warriors, Mallick.
    My razzle, dazzle, razamatic, razphony brother Ralz
    My younger brother Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima, the Legendary Samurai who Doesn't take "No" for an Answer.

Literature:

Recently read-
    Belgariad- David Eddings

Currently Reading-
    The Tournament by Matthew Reilly

Gaming:

Currently PLaying

-Minecraft
    - ASS Creed III

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Gardening Xanatos's Avatar

Gardening's something I know great deal about, something I did for the most part of my life, and still do. I live on a small farm, we have a nice piece of land which we use mostly to grow vegetables on, though fruits are growing like crazy lately. We work on a large scale when it comes to some products, potatoes for instance, where amount is measured in tones. Green beans, onion, pumpkin, tomatoes are just few of products that also grow well in this area, products we're also interested in, though nothing serious.

Besides vegetables me and my father are putting a hard work into growing some fruits, for now peach, fig, cherry look really promising, I hope it will end like the pear trees we have. It can be a hard and tedious work, but most importantly rewarding, the conditions can be harsh sometimes so you really need to know what you're doing.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

I grow lettuce in my backyard and it is better and fresher than the ones in the store. The produce stores should really have a place where they are having different fruits and vegetables. This would garantee that the fruits abd vegetables are fresh.

Registered User Gardening

Yeah, we're starting to grow our own veggies now. Our neighbors are doing it too, and we're sort of splitting what we grow. Have no idea what they're doing, but I know that we have tomatoes, eggplant and peppers. Tomatoes and peppers I like, but eggplant should be done away with. Never had it before until a couple of days ago when my mom decided that she wanted to try Eggplant Parmesan. I took one bite and had to spit it out... Probably doesn't help that I'm not a big fan or Parmesan cheese and tomato sauce, but the eggplant was worse.

My other neighbors grow cabbage, but not to eat. It's more for a decorative purpose, and I gotta admit, their yard does look rather nice.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.