Thread: Fun, The Cosmos and My Twitch Channel

Fun, The Cosmos and My Twitch Channel

Things aren't really that fun anymore. Games, take games. They used to be these fun things about eating all the dots before the ghosts catch you (and if you eat the big dot, you can eat the ghosts) and then they morphed over time into this source of controversy and stress and heated argument and assertions as the illegal professions of people's...ahem.

You see what I'm saying, things that used to be fun have been made less fun by time and people being gaping arseholes. The Cosmos has a way of being circular about it; eventually those who want to control everyone in the world will finally be broken down by the stress of it into giving up, and those who do not want to control the world will be able to breathe again.

In my Twitch Channel, there is no controls, no worries, no bull. Just me playing Virtual Console games on a CRT television and talking from behind the camera, really. I don't track loyalty. I don't do contests. Maybe song requests on a good day.

The point is, it's supposed to be fun. Whether you like me personally or not, it's fun. I warn people it's for mature audiences up front, and I have had to kick very few people in my history on the site (not many have watched me, but that's kind of advantageous in itself). I have a human mod who is very lenient and easygoing for the most part, that being TiresomeTeddybear. He's usually with me, though not always, but frankly I could give two whits what people say in my chat room, I'm busy with the game, for goodness' sake.

So come on over to my Twitch Channel if you want to see Final Fantasy games played by someone who literally has nothing better to do and has played each entry in the series multiple times, barring anything PS2 era or later (I don't have a PS2 anyway).

Do you have thoughts about what is fun, how it has improved/decreased in quality over time? What do you do for recreation/amusement besides gaming? Is there anything that you think makes video gaming more fun? Less fun?

Describe "fun."

...And, go!
    "I find this all to be highly inappropriate."

Drugs
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Did you know that most Rock songs that contain the word "Love" can have it replaced with "Drugs?"

"All you need is drugs, drugs are all you need"

"She drugs you, yeah yeah yeah! She...etc"

"Baby, when I think about you, I think about druuuugs...
    Darling, won't live without you, and your druuuuugs...
    FEEL LIKE TAKING
    (baba BOW, baba BOW, baba BOW)
    FEEL LIKE TAKING DRUGS"

"Endless...DRUUUUUUGS"

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Fun, The Cosmos and My Twitch Channel Polk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    Just me playing Virtual Console games on a CRT television and talking from behind the camera, really.
    Wait, your stream is just you pointing a camera at a tv?

When do you stream? I need to see this shit.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Polk View Post
    Wait, your stream is just you pointing a camera at a tv?

When do you stream? I need to see this shit.
    Er, about 10 pm most nights?

I didn't do anything tonight because...er...reasons...I have things to do...

I've put this off for far too long...!

I regret to announce that this is the end! I'll be going now! Goodbye!

(Puts the One Ring on behind his back and vanishes)

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Fun, The Cosmos and My Twitch Channel Polk's Avatar
    What time zone, idiot? <3 Edited by Gypsy

POLKEDIT: This just in, Gypsy's also an idiot. She won't stop turning on her webcam and trying to get me to watch her do shit.

LMAO ILU BUT BE NICE PUTO

I refuse to be nice.
    Last edited by Polk; 02-10-2017 at 11:18 PM.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

GMT -6 hours, grumpy smurf. :~)

Err...also, I'm gonna go live now...it's 1 am here in Central. Chicago is a city in my time zone.

Starting out with Ghouls 'N Ghosts, just cuz I'm feeling masochistic and underwear javelin throwing was one of my subjects at uni

Bananarama Fun, The Cosmos and My Twitch Channel Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think a big problem is that games just have filler content in terms of bullshit sidequests. Exploration is fun, going point A to B and back isn't. Take FFXV for example. The exploration and dungeons are legitimately exciting and interesting. That's fun to me.

Going back to the same exact area 5 times to do hunts, just to get to higher level hunts, not so much fun.

Doing the same run of the mill missions, like helping find the dog tags, not so much fun.

I don't like to do things in videogames that are more monotonous and tedious than things I've done for work.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't like to do things in videogames that are more monotonous and tedious than things I've done for work.
    Ain't it the truth! It was better when they only had the memory that would fit on a SNES cart to work with. 16-bit wars produced some of the best designed games, there was some kind of cosmic balance point in the art vs. the science. I dunno, it's hard to put my finger on.

Blog Entries
    I was a genesis man myself, but I hear ya. I don't know if it's nostalgia and my own waxing poetic, but I remember enjoying the older games so much more. They were crazy and inventive with the limitations at hand. Then again, literally everything was new and exciting.

I think the last few memorable fun gaming moments I've had were Fallout 3, because holy shit, Fallout in 1st person, and GTA4, because holy shit they nailed the locations and vibes of the city. I recognized a good deal of the locales, and could identify so many more today.

Toejam and Earl just doesn't work in a 3d setting. Sonic is crap with it.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

CastleVania never got off the ground in 3-D, nor really Legend of Zelda if you ask me. Ocarina I accepted at the time because of the general newness of it, but I don't know why it has to be so freaking bossy towards you...neither LttP or Link's Awakening before it had such a thing about making sure you were directed somewhere...

I dunno. It just bugs me to have to read such reams of text in a Zelda game.

Blog Entries
    I liked OoT, never played Majoras Mask.

I liked Wind Waker up until I had to search for all of the Triforce pieces. I'm not sure if I hated Tingle or the tedium more.

Twilight Princess was pretty decent, if I remember correctly. I liked the ability to finally perform a finisher on a downed enemy. It made the game so much darker and grittier, despite being such a common sense thing to have. Kinda like, oh wow, you can finally kill a downed enemy, instead of waiting for them to get up only to get hit one more time
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

I am going to start getting a shot set up, and go live. I have an errand to run starting about 9 am, and it's too late to get any sleep. I'm also kind of overtired and it's quiet for a change. So here we go.

I'm going to start a new game of Chrono Trigger and see what happens.

Robo is never going to give you up or let you down, and frankly Magus' music reminds me of Stairway to Heaven at points.

Here's the ol' catch 22...if you don't get in here soon, you're going to miss the beginning. I've said elsewhere on the internet, that this was going to be hard for me to do.

Wanna see me do something hard for me to do? You like seeing gamers face challenges of the programs...what happens when you have deep personal baggage associated with something the game begins with? Call it a social experiment, if you will. "Submitted for your consdieration."

I lost my mother some months ago. I have not started a new game of Chrono Trigger since.

Crono is woken up by his mother first thing in the game. I mean, I could try playing Dragon Quest III as a control, but you get where I'm going with this. It is likely a person might see (hear) a different side of me come out if they watch me do this.

...I dunno. I am an entertainer. And a gambler.
    Quote Originally Posted by star trek beep space nine
    ...AAAand a thief

I'm not a thief.

YOU are a THIEF!

If I am you haven't been able to prove it for years!
    ...Come on in if you wanna see some feels felt from just the new game starting. I guess I'll just wait until somebody gets here. Gives me time to get my shot, anyway.

Going live at 2:40 am Central.
    Disconnected at 3:40 am. Made it to Guardia Castle, 600 ad. :| Rather uneventful, though I did forget to get any kind of new sword before going.
    Last edited by Spooniest; 02-23-2017 at 02:39 AM.

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) Fun, The Cosmos and My Twitch Channel che's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wow, appealed to my every gamer needs, right down to losing my mother. GL on stream

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Still have Chrono Trigger on my 3ds. Still have to beat it. I gotta choose one of the 6 endings. Just finished the reptilian side quest near the end. All the main quests are pretty much done too. 7th is obviously before Chrono dies and can't happen in PT1. Gotta love some Chrono Trigger. Definitely one of the best rpg's of all time.

Hmmmmm...I do believe there is some Chrono in my near future...

I think that after the PlayStation came out, a lot of really good games (as opposed to the wave of crap that towers above it, and includes the games people play, every night and every day, never meaning what they say, never saying what they mean)...ahem...a lot of really good games started to be available. You had the freaking PC scene burgeoning in delightful ways as well. I mean, there are just too many games to list that were just piling on top of other such classics as well, that even really cool and fun games were getting totally lost in the shuffle.

NEC's PC Engine (known to Americanos as its stateside name "TurboGrafx-16") had tons and tons of really interesting stuff, but it just didn't seem to grab the kind of brand recognition that Sega and Nintendo seemed to just be strangling between them at the time. I'm thinking particularly of a game called "New Adventure Island."

Now, I am no stranger to adventure Island. I am also fond of Wonder Boy, and I am an arcade denizen from way way back in the day. I was a videogamer from the time I noticed one standing somewhere and wanted to try playing it, and Wonder Boy/Adventure Island was one of those. Pac Man as well, but let's move along.

New Adventure Island is Master Higgins (do not ask me why he's called that, he probably has a correct name that I never learned) is enjoying a time outside with his lovely lady friend and she is..I dunno, it changes from game to game. She's kidnapped by Blaboogula the Candle Wax Demon or Aliens or some other darn thing. She gets kidnapped, you go break open hidden eggs with throwing axes, boomerangs, skateboards, fairys that make you invulnerable and destructive to enemies (while playing some crazy tune that actually sounds pretty cool)...I mean, the point of each stage is really just to get to the end of it, and here's the catch: your life bar is also your timer.

Similar to Gauntlet or other games, New Adventure Island makes your life bar go down with time. To restore it, you have to eat the fruits and other things that appear, without getting hit by enemies, and keep the pace up through the level.

The soundtrack is nice as well, on the level with Super Adventure Island, which eventually came out on SNES, but the gameplay is simpler and faster paced. And the bosses do not mess, either.

I've always liked that game. If you really want to know, I've forgotten what I started out saying.

~ AUTO-MERGED POSTS ~

Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Wow, appealed to my every gamer needs, right down to losing my mother. GL on stream
    Your name means "what?" in Italian. Also, I realize what you're saying is that I've contradicted myself by putting something you don't consider fun into my twitch channel?

I mean, were you intending to engage in a argument, or just really upset about what I did? I dunno...um...thinking is not really my strong suit, and was not terribly efficient at it in the past.

Thinking about "which verse is this" and "where's the words" are really kind of my strong suits.

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) Fun, The Cosmos and My Twitch Channel che's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post

Your name means "what?" in Italian. Also, I realize what you're saying is that I've contradicted myself by putting something you don't consider fun into my twitch channel?

I mean, were you intending to engage in a argument, or just really upset about what I did? I dunno...um...thinking is not really my strong suit, and was not terribly efficient at it in the past.

Thinking about "which verse is this" and "where's the words" are really kind of my strong suits.
    Nah man, sorry. I realize that must have been insanely difficult for you and I can't even imagine. I think my stupid point was that most people just wanna watch games. They wouldn't know if you weren't starting a CT game because of that, unless they asked. Or maybe its really engaging, IDK! Some people LOVE when people get dontations and they spend the next 30 mins crying and thanking them. Personally - I just wanna see games. I realize that others are different. Just do you, man. But you should replay CT, I'll watch you stream it. When you're ready.

Back to your original post - I definitely agree that it has to be engaging. It's good to hear the streamer read comments or laugh about them, or try something they know is a bad idea just for "science". Really do wish you luck on your stream. Might stop by sometime!

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

FREEBIIIIRD

...I actually was listening to this scratch demo I made last night while reading your response...I apparently am hired into a band as lead guitar, and they want to be ready.

I dunno why I think the way I do. It is as mysterious to me as to the rest of the world...
    Last edited by Spooniest; 03-05-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Ok...now...maybe...I can start streaming more regularly. I take requests, I'm starving for some non-music-business related human contact, you know.

... Streaming Phantasy Star II right now...

Stand Guard stream, you watch, is ok (Actually duty calls. See me at 10 pm tonight - ed.)

I freaked out for 35 years and now I am in a house by myself FINALLY so no more freaking out, EVERYBODY GOT THAT?

"OF COURSE WE DO SIR"

GOOD!
    Last edited by Spooniest; 04-03-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Sicc in the head & n0t sober. Fun, The Cosmos and My Twitch Channel noxious.sunshine's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by loaf View Post
    Drugs
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by noxious.sunshine View Post
    This.
    You forgot that and the other thing.

Sunshine is noxious to albinos like me you know. I will likely die of mellanoma at some point.