Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Football! (the real kind, not the European variety)

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) Polk's Avatar
    I'm going Saints/Jets for this week. I have no problem with the Colts persay, but out of the two, I think I'd rather see the Jets go. Saints should be obvious, I just want to see Brett Favre fail again. I'm not sure whether it'd be sweeter to see him lose in the NFC title game, or in the Super Bowl. Part of me would really love to see him get beaten by Mark Sanchez.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

I do what you can't. Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) Sasquatch's Avatar
    That was just ... awesome.

True to form, the Vikings choked like an Ethiopian on a grain of rice. And true to form, Favre led the way by giving the ball over three times. Count in the other two fumbles, and it could have been no other team but the Viqueens. I actually figured that Minnesota was a better team, but since they played in the Saints' dome, and since -- well, since they're the Vikings -- I counted on New Orleans to win.

Although I really don't know what a hurricane four years ago had to do with this season at all.

I expected the Jets to win after watching the first half, but for some reason they just curled up and died in the fourth quarter. Sad.

I do admit that the Favre, the seasoned veteran, getting beat in the Super Bowl by Sanchez, the rookie, would have been awesome ... but the sooner they're out, the better.

Now I'm rooting for the Saints -- not because I really care about their team, but because they've never even been to a Super Bowl before, and because they're NFC, and not the Colts.

And I did love the irony of Favre throwing an interception within the last two minutes of the game, going to overtime, and losing on the first possession ... just like Favre did with the Packers in '07. Though, at least in '07, they lost to the Giants, who went on to ruin the Patriots' shot at a perfect season ... that was quite possibly the best postseason game I've ever watched.

Sig courtesy of Plastik Assassin.

Greater love hath no man than this; that he lay down his life for his friends.
    John 15:13

Bananarama Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The worst part about that Jets game was the fact that when I got home, I only had 2 beers left in the fridge...

In all honesty, I thought they had the game won if they could keep up the pace they had in the first half. The fourth quarter was just embarrassing. On the bright side though, Sanchez looked pretty damn good in such an important game. He really had his poise and all of that bullshit. He SHOULD be a lot better in the years to come, plus we have most of our key guys under contract for a few years.

I am pretty upset by that blatant late hit in the 4th that just was totally ignored. At worst, the two penalties should have offset. It was entertaining to see Sexy Rexy that pissed off, but then again, I was screaming at the tv too. Our main problem was that a lot of our guys got hurt, or were literally playing with one hand due to casts or bandages. It's not a real excuse, because in all honesty, Peyton picked us apart, but we weren't at our best, for sure.

As for the NFC game, the second half was pretty damn good. The first half was your typical NFC, no defense type of game.

I am pretty happy that Favre got knocked out though. **** him for screwing the Jets over in 08. I'm torn about who I want to win the Superbowl though. On one hand, if the Colts win, it justifies the Jets losing. On the other hand, New Orleans could use a trophy.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Blog Entries
    Yeah, that's probably a tough break for Jets and Vikings fans. I didn't see any of the Jets games, although I was hearing updates about it on the radio. I saw most the Saints/Vikings games. My family primarily consists of Vikings fans. That includes a brother in law who was a Packers fan, but mostly for Brett Favre, apparently (he rooted for the Vikings when they played... I did not. I also know at least one other person who had claimed to be a Packers fan, but was really a Favre fan. It's different when you don't actually live in the state, I think.) But yeah; everyone was sad. My dad was a real pessimist; he called that last interception. I told him to shut up, and then it happened. It's always great to watch a game with him.

Y'know, Pete, I'll give you that Favre should have sat out last season when his hand or arm or whatever was injured and he couldn't throw as well (and they were doing fairly good before that, right?) but I love it when people blame one player for their team sucking. Like how I've read Browns fans dump on Derek Anderson. No, he didn't cost you guys those games. Your other quarterback couldn't win you games, either. You just suck. It's a team effort. I mean, how do you account for the season a couple years ago when he was winning you games? Like, at least 10, I think. I hope Panthers fans are less shitty to Matt Moore when he can't miraculously save them (and what if he does? Hm...)

Ha ha, Sasq is a douche. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Bananarama Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh I'm not saying it's all Favre's fault, but at the same time, he really should've put the damn record aside, and said "hey, I'm really hurting right now and I can't throw for shit." It's not like he had sore ribs or anything... he needed surgery. Mangini and Tannenbaum both got in a good deal of trouble for trying to hide his injuries from the NFL and for failing to report it.

With this current season, I think we had a lot of issues with growing up. Sanchez had a lot of trouble in the beginning of the season, mostly because he was trying too hard to be the hero and to do everything himself. It also didn't help that Edwards dropped a ridiculous amount of passes, and Keller was his only really decent receiver at TE.

I also think a lot of our problems last year, and for the past few seasons, stemmed from a total lack of team identity. Mangini wouldn't let players talk about anything. Rex Ryan encourages confidence and trash talk. Like it or hate it, it's given the Jets a confidence I've never seen from them in all my years as a fan. We're only gonna get better.

I will agree with you that it is a lot of bullshit when ONE player becomes the scapegoat. There are certain instances, say like when a kicker misses easy field goals that can make a difference, but you can always argue that those should've been TD's. Though, more often than not, the QB is considered the offense in today's brand of football. When guys are having 3-400 yard passing days, it's easy to blame them as the sole reason for failure when a team loses.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) Polk's Avatar
    Favre throwing the last minute interception made me so giddy, it's hard to describe. It's one thing for the Vikings to lose, but Favre ****ing up in the end makes it so much sweeter.

That being said, I'm going Saints all the way, now. I owe them my support.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) Shan'do Spike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James K. Polk View Post
    Favre throwing the last minute interception made me so giddy, it's hard to describe. It's one thing for the Vikings to lose, but Favre ****ing up in the end makes it so much sweeter.

That being said, I'm going Saints all the way, now. I owe them my support.
    The only way that play could have been sweeter is if it had gotten returned for a touchdown. It was pretty much the best play of the round.

God I hope he retires and just goes away. Aikman was trying to suck him off the entire broadcast. It was infuriating.
    Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust
    Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.

-Ferdinand, The Duchess of Malfi, V.V

I do what you can't. Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) Sasquatch's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm not blaming Favre at all. I mean, he did a hell of a lot better than Tavaris Jackson would have done. And when your team gives up six fumbles (forced, not lost) and two interceptions (lost, obviously), the loss is credited to the team. If they hadn't been playing sloppily through the entire second half and Favre's last interception was the only turnover of the game, then it could be blamed on Favre.

I'm loving the little NFL blogs and chats this morning. A bunch of Vikings fans are bitching about the officiating. Remember what I posted earlier? Stupid people will think that everything their opponents do is illegal.

Now the only question -- other than how the Super Bowl will turn out, anyway -- is what will happen to Fav-ray. Are the Viqueens going to let their rental QB go for good, or are they going to keep him and try for another postseason run? Either way, they'll still have a pretty good team. Or is Favre going to finally retire for good? Do you think he can quit after getting that close to another ring? Does his outright abuse at the hands of New Orleans put the exclamation mark on his retirement considerations?

But it was definitely noticed that the commentating focused on Favre ... damn, that was annoying. There are 22 players on the field at any time, and Favre got way too much airtime. Yes, we know he's old. Yes, we know he's still good. Shut up about him and talk about what's going on on the field.

We actually called that last interception, though. My buddy's girlfriend was sitting here saying, "You can't score again ... c'mon, pull a Favre!" Sure enough ...

Sig courtesy of Plastik Assassin.

Greater love hath no man than this; that he lay down his life for his friends.
    John 15:13

Blog Entries
    I think the reason he kept on playing and wouldn't retire is because he wants to get another ring. He took a pretty bad beating last night, but we'll see how he reacts. I don't think the Vikings want to get rid of him if he wants to keep playing; like you said, he is a lot better than their old quarterback (although I suppose they could try to get somebody else... although, all things considered, who would be better for them?)

Yeah, the Vikings lost that game. It wasn't because of the officiating (as there were things the Vikings probably got away with, too.) I really didn't like how they ran it twice before that interception, btw. It seemed like they were banking on a 50+ yard field goal, and that is certainly no sure thing. Was it straight up the middle both times? I don't even remember.

Good for the Saints, though. I dunno if they can beat the Colts, though. One part of my prediction from weeks ago was correct, although I saw the Saints self-destructing before the end. I'll be rooting for them, but I think the Colts will win it. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Re: Football! (the real kind, not the European variety)

Raiders beat the Chargers for the first time in 14 games, thanks to a fumble recovery for a TD in the 4th quarter, and two blocked punts in the 1st quarter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5