Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: FIFA World Cup 2014

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth FIFA World Cup 2014 Xanatos's Avatar
    Spain lost their first game at last World Cup as well, granted not this convincingly, but still, we know what happened after that. I see this more as a bad day, a really bad one, rather than imminent downfall. I'm not really a fan of tiki taka, I ****ing hate it in fact. More often than not it's beautiful and efficient against weaker teams, though quite boring, unbelievable so, against stronger, physically dominant teams. So much possession 90% of which Busquets and Pique are passing the ball amongst each other, sometimes I simply fall asleep. And when tiki taka fails they never seem to have a plan B.

I'm familiar with Robben ever since the time he played for Chelsea and trust me that guy would not pass the ball if his life depended on it.

As for the penalty, I've been reading a lot of comments on various sites and it seems not many are in favor of penalty. Here are some other angles...

https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.ne...gif?1402687802

http://gifsection.com/wp-content/upl...ehterlands.gif

... I still don't buy it, it looks to me like Costa stepped on De Vrij' foot on his own.
    Last edited by Xanatos; 06-14-2014 at 09:14 AM.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Yanqui UXO FIFA World Cup 2014 charliepanayi's Avatar
    Well that was a surprise.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) FIFA World Cup 2014 che's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    Spain lost their first game at last World Cup as well, granted not this convincingly, but still, we know what happened after that. I see this more as a bad day, a really bad one, rather than imminent downfall. I'm not really a fan of tiki taka, I ****ing hate it in fact. More often than not it's beautiful and efficient against weaker teams, though quite boring, unbelievable so, against stronger, physically dominant teams. So much possession 90% of which Busquets and Pique are passing the ball amongst each other, sometimes I simply fall asleep. And when tiki taka fails they never seem to have a plan B.

I'm familiar with Robben ever since the time he played for Chelsea and trust me that guy would not pass the ball if his life depended on it.

As for the penalty, I've been reading a lot of comments on various sites and it seems not many are in favor of penalty. Here are some other angles...

https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.ne...gif?1402687802

http://gifsection.com/wp-content/upl...ehterlands.gif

... I still don't buy it, it looks to me like Costa stepped on De Vrij' foot on his own.
    That is probably the best angle there. (2nd link didn't work) Definitely Costa trying to get a call and not a foul imo.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Only got to see the second half of England vs Italy, one might say England was better but to no avail. Rooney was godawful, I can only assume he was better in the first half seeing he has an assist and all. Pirlo on the other hand is like a wine, the older he gets the better he is.

As for Costa Rica, did not see that coming.

It took 70 minutes for Argentina to get any traction, fantastic goal by Messi but up to that point he was nowhere to be seen. It's hard to believe it's his only second goal at World Cups so far. Overall, Argentina was all but convincing, and if they do in fact reach quarter finals Panzer' gonna crush them once more.

I didn't expect much out of this game to be honest, but it's great to see B&H was on par if not better than Argentina. D˛eko did get on my nerves though, for such a major game in his career he looked uninterested to say the least which reflected on his game.

Müller was way too theatrical, but if Pepe just left him alone at that moment he would have probably received a mere yellow card, but it's Pepe we're talking about here, a short tempered idiot. Müller's behavior is why most US citizens don't like football and probably never will, for **** sake it's why I'm starting to hate football. As long as FIFA/UEFA keeps a blind eye this disgusting behavior will be encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    Müller was way too theatrical, but if Pepe just left him alone at that moment he would have probably received a mere yellow card, but it's Pepe we're talking about here, a short tempered idiot. Müller's behavior is why most US citizens don't like football and probably never will, for **** sake it's why I'm starting to hate football. As long as FIFA/UEFA keeps a blind eye this disgusting behavior will be encouraged.
    Muller was a bit of a prat but frankly I think the sort of thing some American footballers/baseball players are guilty of is far worse than overreacting to an arm in the face. If that's why you and US citizens dislike football, I suggest you get some perspective. By that logic, the actions of Michael Vick or Barry Bonds would have you never watching NFL or baseball ever again.
    Last edited by charliepanayi; 06-16-2014 at 11:44 AM.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Perhaps I did not phrase that quite right. I don't really hate football, but I feel I'm gradually starting to like it less due to various reasons, this kind of theatricality being one of them. If you are into football, club football in particular you'll notice that this kind of behavior is seriously getting out of hand. Just look at some of the previous El Clasicos. The worst thing though players are actually encouraged to dive/simulate, they are not being punished for it at all while both players and their clubs usually benefit from such behavior in one way or another.

I do however agree there are worse things in sports, hell, there are worse things in football alone, thing is I don't really care about other sports

Diving poor/sportsmanship and pay to win football is exactly why I stopped having any interest in football.

The world cup only takes away one of these cons unfortunately

I think you all need to get off your high horses.

Why? Because it puts me off of football when grown ass men behave like little bitches instead of you know professional athletes, athletes who are paid millions by the way.

The Old Skool Warrior FIFA World Cup 2014 LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I gotta agree with that - most of these players make too much money to act like children. I'm all for a rough game, but when they throw tantrums about not getting a call (or getting called when it's a blatant foul), they gotta put on their big boy shorts.

Some calls though? I can see it from the players' side.

~ sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

#LOCKE4GOD FIFA World Cup 2014 Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I love football, but I watch rugby as well, and I see this pretty often:

1958536_692113720825343_8491831166267609189_n.jpg

Crap calls so far in like every game.

But damn that USA Goal at the start.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Shut up ya dope, its an opinion based on solid fucking fact, deal with it

Footballs gone to shit, your heads up your arse if you can't see it

Boxer of the Galaxy FIFA World Cup 2014 Rowan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    NO!

Blog Entries
    Well, let it be known that if there is too much diving, it's a fault of the officiating/rules. I personally think there needs to be another ref on the field. In the end, people are getting injured/faking injuries simply because our technology is far behind and players are allowed to get away with things they shouldn't. This is a fault of FIFA.

It's funny to me how, when we play in our amateur leagues, it's just as bad. People faking and stuff, until the ref is good. Then people quickly shape up and play an honest match. Or it's also weird when you don't have a ref. People don't play as hard, nobody's sliding in and faking injuries or playing hard enough to hurt someone. At least in my experiences, it seems that people play according to the referees. In a professional setting, it's only a tactical part of the game to fake injuries and do all that because of the way the game is officiated. I think the game would do well to add at least a second ref on-field. Or a guy in a box up top, sort of like a 4th ref that sits in the announcer booth. That way, if you're gonna stop play for 1-2minutes and give out cards/wait on injuries, instead of letting players argue and never convince the ref anyway, you could be reviewing instant replays of all angles to decide if it's true or not. When players are under this kind of supervision, I'd imagine there would be a lot less faking. Especially with fines involved. But, this relies on FIFA being an honest and progression governing body. Which....L O L

That being said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm enjoying these matches. Messi shows up for 1 play, scores goal. Germany wrecks face, as predicted. USA's match vs Ghana was a freaking nailbiter. My goodness, that first goal within 30 seconds. Such an exciting 95minutes, even if I had like 300 panic attacks. And if this thread turns into another "football is shit, everyone's a faker" or "no, f you. No, f YOU" thread, I can't really say I care to come back here to discuss anymore with some haters.

Quote Originally Posted by nix View Post
    Footballs gone to shit, your heads up your arse if you can't see it
    I wouldn't go that far, although football certainly has some issues.

Football would benefit greatly from technology. Some say it may lose its charm in the process, and while true to some extent it would improve overall quality and honesty of this wonderful game drastically. Sadly, it's up to organizations such as FIFA and UEFA which are not really keen on honesty and are run by men such as Sepp Blatter, an old fossil out of touch with both time and reality.

As for divers, easy solution if there ever was one, hit them where it hurts the most, and that has and always will be money.

Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Germany wrecks face, as predicted.
    Even with Pepe I feel Portugal would fare the same, German mentality never ceases to amaze me. Shame though Klose did not get the chance to top Ronaldo's goal scoring record this very game, hopefully we'll see him against USA or Ghana.

Can someone explain the appeal of the World Cup please? I dont understand.

First of all it's held every four years where a lot can change in between Cups. It has a high concentration of quality games seeing as more or less only the best teams around the world qualify. It's the only instance where teams such as Germany and Brazil can play against each other for a title. There's a certain sense of national pride, not to mention all those extatic fans and the overall atmosphere are usually truly fantastic. Last but not least football's never been as simple as that comic of yours makes it out to be. World Cup in particular is always full of exciting games, truly beautiful moves and goals and tons of questionable situations over which we fans like to debate.

Hope this gives you little insight as to why we like the World Cup.

Blog Entries
    While that clip is funny, Rowan (i've seen it on youtube or something), you can make that argument with any sport. "Wow, he's catching that ball." "Wow, he's running across those 4 bags and sliding in the dirt!" "Wow, he smacked that guy!"

If you can understand the appeal of one sport, I'm pretty sure you're capable of understanding the appeal of another sport. While I'm not much of a fan of american football or baseball, I can certainly respect when athletes are able to push their bodies and do amazing things in their sport. It's the competitiveness for me, how good someone can be at a physical activity is just freaking impressive as shit sometimes. When the entire world plays the same sport, some really impressive/amazing stuff comes out of it, and it's something everyone from all over the entire world can come together and enjoy that.

You can even replace "sport" from my last paragraph with "hobby". I may not understand why so many nerds (I use this term in an endearing way, not derogatory) play Pokemon, but it doesn't matter. They may not understand why I play Starcraft, or play soccer. But when you go "could I do what he's doing?" it helps you understand the appeal. Try to replicate what these athletes do, or what people can do in games or ANYTHING. Anything can be competitive. Whether it's fun to try, fun to watch, you can do something, either way sometimes it's just damn impressive what some people can do, even if it's not for you.

Its the IT crowd, great episode

And hey, i never said it cant be fixed!

Though i dont think soccer should incorporate the kind of refereeing the NFL has, matches would take forever, just harshly punish players after the game, red cards/fines etc

Yeah I see what you're saying. For me a lot of excitement in sport comes from the actual scoring of points and seeing the leading team maintain a lead or take the lead. As I've stated before, goals in soccor are few and far between, with some matches scoring doesn't even happen. So I guess I dont find it enthralling in the sense that I'm going to stay awake until 3:00am to watch a game where neither team may score. I dont really have a respect for the sport either, running around might show a display of athletisism, but as far as skill goes, its rarely seen and rarely required. It furthar goes to prove my point that its extremely common for players to fake injuries in order to get free kicks, so as well as being a low-skilled sport, it is also one without honour. Having said that, sport should be like war.

Scoring is whatever to me. It's more of the whole game in general, offence, defence, the mind games the chokes, the clutch moments. The fact that there are so little goals shows how hard the game can be. Soccer and Hockey are 2 of the same where some games the game is 0-0 till the very end and all of a sudden a huge moment takes the win. That is way more fun and exhilarating then watching your team take the lead and hold it for the whole game. It's like ooo nice they held them off but they just played defence the whole time if you think about it. A game going 0-0 to the very end tells me both teams were trying really hard, especially in the world cup.

Game atmosphere is different, for a game that doesn't have many points it's exciting to see one and the build up to one. Basketball? Scoring is happening all the time, yeah it's good seeing your team lead the whole game but it's much more fun watching the 2nd half when the teams are giving it all

tl;dr

Only worth watching sports during playoffs/championships/World Cup.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by loaf View Post
    Scoring is whatever to me. It's more of the whole game in general, offence, defence, the mind games the chokes, the clutch moments. The fact that there are so little goals shows how hard the game can be. Soccer and Hockey are 2 of the same where some games the game is 0-0 till the very end and all of a sudden a huge moment takes the win. That is way more fun and exhilarating then watching your team take the lead and hold it for the whole game. It's like ooo nice they held them off but they just played defence the whole time if you think about it. A game going 0-0 to the very end tells me both teams were trying really hard, especially in the world cup.

Game atmosphere is different, for a game that doesn't have many points it's exciting to see one and the build up to one. Basketball? Scoring is happening all the time, yeah it's good seeing your team lead the whole game but it's much more fun watching the 2nd half when the teams are giving it all

tl;dr

Only worth watching sports during playoffs/championships/World Cup.
    That's when all the magic happens.

But yeah, the thing about scoring, great example is today's Brazil vs. Mexico game. The ENTIRE 90 minutes was exciting to me. Yet neither one of them scored. Yeah, goals are great. They can be some of the most exciting things in the match, and also determine who wins or loses in the end. But a team can score and be 2-0 and not be the better of the two teams for 90 minutes.

It's easy to track in american football, where you can stop, switch players in and out. Plan plays, track a guy's run and count the yards he's pushed and gained, and directly see in stat-form exactly how much this player has contributed. But that is nothing compared to the dynamic way soccer is played to me. Those stats are all there, but there are hardly any breaks. And when the play is stopped, it's not long before its started going again, and those minutes lost are added at the end and made up.

Check this out:

According to The Sunday Times website, midfielders in England's Premiership worked the hardest in the 2005-06 season, running on average 7 miles, 246 yards per game. Right midfielders win the distinction of performing the most "high-intensity" runs -- running at a three-quarter sprint speed or faster -- averaging nearly 150 bursts per game that cover 339 yards. Discounting goalkeepers, centerbacks ran the least amount per game, yet still impressively averaged six miles, 332 yards. Gennaro Gattuso of Italy's AC Milan racked up more than 6-1/2 miles in the 2007 semifinal of the Champion's League, suggesting that the particular league a player is a part of has no bearing on the average distance covered during a professional soccer match.
    The Average Distance Run in a Soccer Game | LIVESTRONG.COM

It's just ridiculous what these guys are accomplishing every game. Soccer may not have the recorded stats american football does, but there is so much going on and so much playtime that it's just damn impressive every time it's broken down like that to me. You don't have time in a soccer match to stop and say "hey, we've been taking it up the middle, and they've been stopping us every time. Let's run this play now." You just kind of have to know it. Running for 90 minutes constantly and creating positions, opening up the field, physically or mentally faking other players out to constantly create advantages for you and your team. Goals are really just icing on the cake. There's so much more going on that determines who's "winning".

Netherlands never won against Australia, until today that is. Australia didn't go down without a fight though, wonderful goal by Cahill. Overall a great game, shame though I didn't get to see it entirely.

I'm really excited for tonight, Croatia can go to second round even with a draw tonight, granted they beat Mexico with two goals advantage next match. That being said anything but victory tonight will be truly disappointing.

Dat Croatia, always a team that is really good.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by loaf View Post
    Dat Croatia, always a team that is really good.
    Croatia has the exact same issue as Argentina, great team usually lead by a lackluster coach. I love Niko Kovač, he used to be one of better Croatian players for sure, but he is the very definition of inexperienced coach seeing as this is more or less his first gig. That being said even with lack of experience he is still infinitely better, serious and realistic if nothing else, than that idiot that lead us during qualifications. I only wish Croatia would approach this matter same as Switzerland.

Just lost some money betting on Spain, not that I care though. I find this all amusing. I never would have thought Spain would be off after very first two games, now I don't think they have what it takes to even beat Australia. Lack of fresh blood and motivation is more than apparent. As much as this season was successful for their clubs it seems it was just the opposite with national team.

BqMobc0IAAEqmBa.jpg

Of course, this was bound to happen sooner or later. They'll eventually make a comeback, perhaps as soon as the next Euro Cup, after all they are packed with tons of truly great young players. Besides, France and Italy went through same thing not too long ago.

Blog Entries
    Wow, that Cahill goal. For anyone who missed it:

Fitbamob

Australia have never lost to Spain! It is time. ™ Am I really doing this? Rooting for Australia? This world cup has changed everything.

edit: this Croatia team tho.
    Last edited by che; 06-18-2014 at 04:34 PM.

**** Yea!

I wonder what went through Song's mind to make such idiotic move? He didn't even protest full knowing how stupid that was of him.

Shame though Croatia didn't score few more goals, there were in fact quite a few opportunities to do so, not that a goal difference will matter against Mexico.

And here's hoping Pranjić won't play against Mexico, or at all for that matter, I've had enough of him.

Blog Entries
    This is my favorite thing from the world cup so far. There is TONS of hilarious stuff, but this takes the cake for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG_CVinPFUo

For anyone who doesn't know, Messi is a player who has played for Barcelona (Spain's arguably best or second best team in La Liga), from Argentina. Spain paid for all of his medical stuff, etc growing up and he is the player he is today pretty much because of Spain. Yet, he is loyal to Argentina and still plays.

These Mexican fans begin chanting "Messi!" near Argentina fans (who obviously join in) and then turn it into a "Messico!", Mexico chant! Viva Mexcio!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast