Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you go to church/temple? Why/Why not?

The Mad God Do you go to church/temple? Why/Why not? Heartless Angel's Avatar

Re: Do you go to church/temple? Why/Why not?

The concept of God originated in a time when men were treated as superiors in society, so it's not suprising that the original concept was of a man. That view has probably remained just because of the whole FATHER, SON, and Holy spirit thing. Nobody knows what a divine entity would really be like, so at the time it was just a best guess I suppose.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

I'm DYING to see you! Do you go to church/temple? Why/Why not? ViviMasterMage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heartless Angel View Post
    The concept of God originated in a time when men were treated as superiors in society, so it's not suprising that the original concept was of a man. That view has probably remained just because of the whole FATHER, SON, and Holy spirit thing. Nobody knows what a divine entity would really be like, so at the time it was just a best guess I suppose.
    Yeah, I know. If you think about it though, women have only just started being treated fairly and equally and there is still some sexism out there even today. It's like I think that people should think God is a woman or anything but I'm trying to get the point across that people still think that way. It's the same with what Heaven and Hell looks like and what Demons and Angels look like as well. Because of picture we see and the things we are told, when we hear Angel, we think a human with white wings and demons are red, vile looking creatures.

I've also noticed that Tifa didn't mention that she was talking about God which was my mistake. She might have been talking about Jesus but my point still stands.

My things:

My TFF Family!:
    My very hyper moogle loving cousin Meigumi!
    My grammar obsessive twin AWESOME brother Fate!
    My powerful, dangerous, short tempered younger brother Alther!
    My badassly cool chaos-loving lord who adores big swords and uber spells, Elyon Demidias
    My awesomely cool big brother xXCloudXx
    "The Bestest Buddy" xTidus (Aka Casey)
    My Okami-playing, Sephiroth-fangirl American cousin Dodie16
    My brother and stealthy swordsman of poetic power genome's blade
    My brother from another mother Gilgameshed_Up

My Fatey!:

Quote Originally Posted by Meigumi
    ....... I was reaaally hoping you'd say something else, but whatever! HEY, EVERYONE! WE'RE HAVING A CONVERSATION! 8D
    Fate's beautiful haiku:
    Lost in reverie
    Memories drifting through me
    So calm like the sea

The Mad God Do you go to church/temple? Why/Why not? Heartless Angel's Avatar

People aren't very imaginitive. The ideas that led to those images of angels and demons came along long before Christianity did.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

I'm DYING to see you! Do you go to church/temple? Why/Why not? ViviMasterMage's Avatar

People can be imaginative. We've already seen architecture and art that people create as well as stories, too.

I know that. Ancient Greeks and Egyptians and even time before that have all had images of Gods with human-like qualities or Angels and Devils of some sort. I'm not blame Christianity for it.

My things:

My TFF Family!:
    My very hyper moogle loving cousin Meigumi!
    My grammar obsessive twin AWESOME brother Fate!
    My powerful, dangerous, short tempered younger brother Alther!
    My badassly cool chaos-loving lord who adores big swords and uber spells, Elyon Demidias
    My awesomely cool big brother xXCloudXx
    "The Bestest Buddy" xTidus (Aka Casey)
    My Okami-playing, Sephiroth-fangirl American cousin Dodie16
    My brother and stealthy swordsman of poetic power genome's blade
    My brother from another mother Gilgameshed_Up

My Fatey!:

Quote Originally Posted by Meigumi
    ....... I was reaaally hoping you'd say something else, but whatever! HEY, EVERYONE! WE'RE HAVING A CONVERSATION! 8D
    Fate's beautiful haiku:
    Lost in reverie
    Memories drifting through me
    So calm like the sea

Do you go to church/temple? Why/Why not? Jin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Treize View Post
    Oh, I forgot, but I also wanted to say that I sometimes feel uncomfortable in some churches because they are just too fancy and expensive looking. I feel that so much of that money could have been given to charity or used for something better. I think church should be about becoming closer to God, not looking at expensive artwork, gold, and such.

It almost makes me sad when I see such expensive looking basilicas. I think I would feel uncomfortable going to a place like that every week.
    I find the beauty of certain churches one of the few reasons I'll willingly go into them. There's a beautiful cathedral in St. Paul, Minnesota that I've gone to twice just to marvel at the intricacies of the architecture.

As Stephen Colbert says, you should get some production values for your donation.

Until now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2