View Poll Results: Which Type Of Gift Would You Prefer?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want a nice, thoughtful surprise.

16 51.61%
  • Give me the money!

15 48.39%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Money or a Gift?

Tsuna Feesh Money or a Gift? Fate's Avatar

Money or a Gift?

Well, we were just talking about this recently in my house. It's near the end of the year, and that's where most of our birthdays are. So, for my birthday, I always get money or someone drives me to a gaming store where I pick out anything I like and they pay for it for me. However, the money is more common. Nobody in my family really knows what games I like, since I'm a little picky; all they know is that I like video games, but they don't want to risk getting me something I won't even touch, so they give me the gift of choice instead.

However, I suppose a surprise for a gift would be much more exciting. I won't know what I'm getting and it makes me anxious. But when I think about it, no one in my family really knows me that much that they can pick out a gift that I'd enjoy. So I don't know if that's what I'd want.

Still, they always say that a gift bought by someone is more thoughtful and meaningful than just giving them money to spend. But others say that if they don't like the gift, they either don't use it or ask for the receipt to get the money back since nobody wants it. Thankfully, this has never happened before in my family, because after a few times of getting lucky with gifts, we just give each other money instead. For some reason, though, gifts from friends are mostly spot-on. I guess we converse more with them than with family?

Anyway, my question is this: would you prefer to get an actual surprise gift for any occasion, or would you rather get money to spend on your own? Do you want the gift of thoughtfulness and surprise or the gift of choice?

Personally, I prefer the money. =D With it, I can then buy whatever I'd like to for my birthday. I mean, if they give me enough money, I can even buy more than one thing, more than I would have gotten in the first place, all of which would be something that I want. And if you think about it, I guess you could say money would also be a thoughtful gift, right?

Curiosity Conquers, So Click:

*Yesha*; -Balthier-; Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus; Azuteor; Black Waltz; Clint Eastwood; Dark Angel; Dodie16; ethan; Flaming Ragnarok; Insufficient Mage; Kilala; LIGHTNING_71013; Lunasa; Mallick; Meigumi; Messiah; Padraic; PurpleDiamond; RamesesII; Shiru; Silver; Unknown Entity; ViviMasterMage; winterborn86

If you'd like a place in my family, be sure to ask me~! ^ ~

Che
    I never turn down a thoughtful gift and demand money, but I'd probably honestly rather have da cash.

Blog Entries
    In short, this.

I like gifts, and I like to be suprised, but cash is a very effective gift for me. Sure, some may take it as a cop out type gift because you're not puting any effort into getting something nice, but I like money lol.

On the giving end, I try my damndest to get gifts that don't involve money/gift cards because of how I feel about them, but sometimes I'm at a loss and I give them some Mr. Washingtons instead.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

I will finish the hunt Money or a Gift? Cheesevixen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I could make this complicated but I won't. I'ld prefer money. That way I can spend it on boring bill related things and not the fluff of life. :-) Unless it's cupcakes.....you can get me cupcakes :-)
    "Some men just want to watch the world burn"

Gift cards are the way to say "I love you, but I don't know you". It is more sincere than cash, because you actually had to get up and leave the house to purchase something, but as long as you get the card from a general enough store, they will be happy.

I remember I went to a friend's house on Christmas Eve and he had a stack of twenty Best Buy gift cards. He told me to take my gift among them. It was cold, yes, but where I would likely spend any discretionary income.

Registered User Money or a Gift?
    When I was younger, I loved getting gifts rather than money. Reason being is that my family lived out in the country, so there really wasn't any stores around to splurge your gift money on. The only time we ever went to town to do anything was for errands. So, you could be holding on to that money for quite some time, and not doing much else with it.

Now that I'm older and have the freedom to go anywhere I choose, I totally go for cash. Presents are nice, but most of the time people don't really know what to get for me since I don't really open up to people all that quickly. So I get cash instead. I'll even take gift cards.

I do try to give people that I am giving a gift for actual presents, but sometimes it's just better to do cash.

Oh btw, I voted cash.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Ellipsis Money or a Gift? Meigumi's Avatar
    Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
    Personally I prefer a gift. *Aww, ain't that sweet of me, kupo*

Because, I believe money should be earned through the hard way- no pain, no gain! *laughter*
    Plus, it's toughie to pick what you want to buy, even if you had the money, kupo. I'm a little picky, so tough luck for me, huh?
    There's always room for gifts!
    .....And I also stole that cupcake.

TFF Family~:

Ice-cream loving brother Fate
    The great benevolent dark lord Elyon Demidias
    Lovable doll ViviMasterMage
    Soul Stealing, Chaos-loving, Pom-pom eating older brother Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus
    The Awesome and Dashing Thief, ethan
    The Stealthy Swordsman of Poetic Power, genome's blade

I'd rather have money so I can buy whatever I want, but a gift is fine by me. My friends and family don't have a lot of trouble on what to get me on my birthday or Christmas, but if they do they can always resort to money or just ask me and ruin the surprise, haha.

Over time, I developed my hate for opening presents in front of the person who gave the present because I wouldn't know how to react to the gift. If I don't like the gift then the person will know immediately by my facial expression and the tone of my voice.

Lord Deity of Harmony Money or a Gift? Elyon Seraphim's Avatar
    As for me... I perfers gifts in packets... It is sure nice to wonder what in and open it when it's your birthday! However how about some ''Packet Money'' That is an good way to! But i still voted Birthday Presents!
    My Reaction of People That Points The Obvious

This is my Daily Day in 2Fort
    My TFF Family:
    Still working on rewamping this, Just give a shout if you wanna join!

I'll take both thanks. A gift is thoughtful and the cash is kindness both I'll accept.

Maridia
    I prefer money overall. Surprises are nice but the truth is I'm a pain in the ass to shop for and most of the time people get me stuff I'm not big on. It's a really nice gesture but if it's gonna come in handy I usually have to request it since rarely do people think of something I've mentioned to shock me. Once in a while a surprise is nice but most of the time money is solid.

Sparkly Beanie Baby of Doom! Money or a Gift? Tallulah's Avatar
    I would prefer money. It's more practical in my situation. :/

In fact, I've gotten money from my parents about three years running for Christmas, birthday, or both. I have a feeling I'm getting the same this year, and Nan is getting me Euros for my New Year's trip to Paris.
    Last edited by Tallulah; 08-14-2009 at 03:08 AM.

Registered User Money or a Gift? Yesha's Avatar
    Would you prefer to get an actual surprise gift for any occasion, or would you rather get money to spend on your own?
    They usuaLLy give money.. even my friends prefer giving me money especiaLLy on my birthday, and cards for Christmas.. weLL.. I reaLLy Like receiving money instead of surprise gifts.. I don't know.. since I'm used to it.. and aLso.. money gives you the power to buy whatever you want atLeast.. and it makes you happy.. but personaLLy.. I haven't given money to anyone.. I Love making personaLized cards and gifts for them.. :-) LoL!

Do you want the gift of thoughtfulness and surprise or the gift of choice?
    I prefer the gift of choice..
    CLICK IT! TO SEE MY STUFFS:

Quote for the month:
    “Try harder to succeed.”

What am I Loving right now?:
    YOU!

My Art Thread: http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...ngs-lol-3.html

"HELLO GUYS!"

Blog Entries
    One thing that always bothers me about holidays is the week after a major gift giving one, all the gifts people try to return to our store because they don't want them. Now that's both cold and selfish. I always feel like telling them if they don't want the damn gifts then ask the giver to just give them cash next time instead. I don't, of course. But I think it. Really loudly.

That is why for myself I prefer cash/gift cards from people who don't know me well enough to really know my tastes. It is a completely appropriate gesture that to me says they don't know me but still wish me well. I'd prefer that over a blind (and often wild) guess at something subjective. Especially since now as a bill-paying adult, receiving cash in some form is extremely helpful for either paying off all the bills I just generated buying holiday gifts for others or allowing me to gift myself with something I may have had my eye on for awhile.

Even people who do know me often don't have any idea of what I may want. I really hate the commercialization of all these holidays so I often purposely ask for nothing. My mom and I have managed to work out a system, though. We'll just tell each other honestly something we'd like to have, then there's no guessing about how wanted or useful any particular item will be. We often do this far enough in advance that by time the holiday rolls around we've forgotten what we asked each other for. XD

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

I invented Go-Gurt. Money or a Gift? Clint's Avatar
    I hate it how people are so picky about gifts. Just buy something and give it. If the person doesn't like it, or immediately takes it back to the store, than he or she is a jackass. That's why they think that it's alright to give cash, checks, or gift cards as gifts, but what those things really mean is, "I don't give a shit about you hence the reason why I'm too lazy to think of a gift to buy, so go buy it yourself." If you're buying somebody a gift, you buy them a gift. You don't give them money and force them to buy it themselves.

I'm going to have to go for a gift!
    Having cash seems like a payoff and maybe shows that the person doesn't really know you... plus I just don't like being given money XD I don't know why. It feels far more awkward for some reason.
    Gifts can be really thoughtful and cute...
    XD Just had a funny thought... It's an anniversary... and then you're given a wad of cash. That's not quite as romantic...
    So anyway! Gift. It's way cuter, and when the time calls for it - very romantic <3

Following the path for truth...

and ending the dream.

R-K H、有名な侍の戦争の神ソウル刈り取り手 Money or a Gift? Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima's Avatar
    I live in your Mind, your Heart, and your Soul...There is no way in Hell you can ever escape from me! I'm everywhere...
    Blog Entries
    I chose Money, But I am Open for Gifts as well, as long as I get a good amount of money, Like atleast $50-$60, I'm Happy I'm Really Low on cash so that would help out alot. Its much easier for them to just give me Money instead, but yeah, a nice Gift or two wouldn't bother me either. Good Luck Guys

Sig. Banner made by: Victoria

Favourite Quote Of The Year: "武器ではなく、それを行使する手を恐れてください"(Fear Not The Weapon, But The Hand That Wields It)

Press This Button To View All My Stuff >>>:

Press This Button To View My TFF Family >>>:
    My Older Brother: The legendary Egyptian Pharaoh RamesesII, Whipping Slaves long before the Holy Lord was Born.

My Inspiring Older Brother: Meier Link, (Title Unknown)
    My Brother: Ralz
    My Brother: Fate
    My Sister: Kilala, The Glomp&Huggle Master
    My Interesting Sister: Andromeda, The TFF Goddess
    My Loveable Sister: Waterdragoon, The Water Dragoon
    My Blood Brother: Elyon Demidias, The Next Level Overlord
    My Lovely, Beautiful, and Awesome Big Sister: Dodie, Okami's Sister at Heart
    My Strong willed Big Sister: DragonHeart, The Dragon Collector
    The God Father: Dark Squall
    My Lethal and Shadowy, Yet Humerous and Random Younger Brother: Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus
    My Newest Buddy And Awesomest Big Brother: Black Waltz, The Shiznit(The Best)

Wanna be in My TFF Family, Just ask me.

Press this button to see which Fraternity I'm in >>>:

~Founder & Proud Member of the Arteo Warra Okhun Lataar Fraternity, Also Known as: A.W.O.L. Since 2009~
    A.W.O.L. FOR LIFE, YEAHYA!!!

^^^
    ______________________l l l______________________

/ Been Chilln' & Killin' it since 1992/

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Money or a Gift? Xanatos's Avatar
    I have voted for gifts because I don't remember the last time I received a crappy gift. Even tho I also get money for my birthday I prefer more gifts because they're more thoughtful and also there are always few that really surprise me. But because most of my friends know me really good I always get the perfect gifts although as I said there are always few surprises.
    Last edited by Xanatos; 08-15-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

I'd rather get gifts. Cash is okay.. but i'd rather have the excitement of opening something.. I don't like Gift cards either. If i'm buying my own gifts i'd rather be able to spend it anywhere I want.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I prefer gifts, that has money hidden in them. Like that puzzle cube my step-dad got me for Christmas. That was cool - you had to solve the puzzle to get the money. Best thing about it was I got £20, and a pretty cool game to play when I need to get my brain in gear (or if I want to make it really hard for someone to get something.

My family/friends who live too far away to know what I'm like send some money and a card, which is nice - they've been known to write mini messages/poems in the cards, which I've kept because they're personal.

Closer family gives me gifts, which are usually something I've told them I would like - they always ask. Surpirse gifts are awesome though. As long as it's not clothes, it's awesome. Clothes are something I'd prefer to pick up myself.

All in all, I'd say I prefer a small mixture of both.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Boredness rules us all Money or a Gift? Midnight Panda's Avatar
    id rather get the money then you dont get bad gifts (no offence)
    Been gone a long while but im back now and not as annoying. promise

THANKS TO ANDROMEDA

A Plain Old Derp Money or a Gift? Padraic's Avatar
    I'd prefer a gift because the anxiety before opening it even if its something you think you might not like, try it out first, see if you like it, like I mean for my birthday this year I got a cool new wallet and a yo-yo, I was really suprised but I like it a lot, part of it was that I didn't see it coming... but if I do get money in a card, I'd prefer the card to be hand made or have a personal message because atleast you giving something from you, not just a "here some cash, I put it together last minute... like it??"

Fading into a dream Money or a Gift? Dean Winchester's Avatar
    I don't really care if i get either, its the thought that counts.

Thats all i want really, i could care less for material things.

Sig and ave made by Violet, thanks again Violet!

Registered User Money or a Gift? winterborn86's Avatar
    Love money, money, money
    Im an akward person to but things for so money is more benifical for me, I can go out and find something I like for myself.

My TFF Family

My FFVII addicted nephew: Secret weapon
    My Bullet lovin half wolf cousin: Raider
    My complete FFVII nut sister: Unkown entity
    My Freya obsessed, grammar nazi brother: Doc rocco

I would take money, simply because my parents know just about close to nothing about my tastes. And for some reason it feels....akward... telling them what I want. I have had instances where I got a game and have not even opened the case because they were sooooo off: Shrek Racing, Fantastic Four, Marvel something or other. All picked by my parents. It was a weird "um....thank you?" moment.

Plus, with money I may find something totally new and love it, like I had with (go figure) FF9.

Maybe that is why I love the money though.....

FINISH HIM!

レイール★レイヴン Money or a Gift? SacredAngel13's Avatar
    hmmm...i prefer a gift, because gift reflect what people thinks of me. every people has their own opinion. for the example, if people thinks that i'm a very girlie girl, maybe they will give me a doll, a dress or something else..

but i think money is not bad too..
    BLACK★ROCK SHOOTER 初音ミク

B.A.U:

BANNER ARTIST UNITED

the mysterious Money or a Gift? gothdra's Avatar
    I prefer gifts they are thoughtful and shows that the person cares and know me
    money are just money. I mean, money are better earned through work
    Nobody is perfect...That is of course until you fall in love with them...

As usual, it depends on many thing. For example: My parents are likely to give me gifts that aren't of any use. For my birthday this year they decided to get me a camera of my own (I've always used theirs... and by always I mean those 2-5 situations in which I needed it .-."). It's standing right in front of me now, I don't know when to use it. I don't go away that often, and I don't shoot any photos. .-." Sometimes, when I'm bored, I randomly take a few pictures of my dog, of the cats or of people (or myself xP), but that's it. I'd rather have liked them to give me the money, so that I could buy myself something I'd use more often. <.<" (I wanted to have a few SingStar games, to be honest XD)

On the other hand, my friends shouldn't give me money. Mostly they think about what they could give me as birthday present. So I'm always happy about that. My best friend knows exactly what I want and she always finds things that I'm happy about. It's the same when I myself have to decide on a gift. x3

So it depends on the person... and I honestly don't know which option to choose in the poll. :/

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)

steven caban
    It all depends on what it is.
    If its something sentemental, inside jokeish, and/or someone who knows you well then a gift.
    but if its someone who knows nothing about you, or something then moneys nice.
    I don't really care for gift cards, unless its an online only store.
    its just money that you can only use one place.

Registered User Money or a Gift? Locke4God's Avatar
    Honestly I don't get that much, so there's probably not anything you're going to get me that I'll want. I keep most of my habits, games/comics, etc, in the dark to most, and I don't want a fruit basket. Also I like to play around with my stocks, so most of my money goes there, if not to my mortgage or car payment. Yeah just give me the money. I'll buy my wife and I a nice dinner at a place you couldn't have gotten me a gift certificate for anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast