Thread: Curing a sore throat.

Genocide Unfolds, I Forgive All Chez Daja's Avatar

Curing a sore throat.

I know antibiotics are a no-go since they don't cure anything sore-throat related.

I'm in quite a lot of pain with this sore throat, and it doesn't help that I have a cough with it. I also have the smell of playdough in my nostrils, but that's the least of my troubles right now.

So, sore throat cures?

And before you say it. No, I can't eat honey. I have no lemon in my house. And gargling salt makes me puke. I'm a fussy one; any ideas?

By the way, I'm really high on cold medicine right now. I have this weird feeling they're not helping much.

The person in my avatar is me.

THIS SIGNATURE IS VERY DISTRACTINGS

I was the holder of the highest amount of rep that ever lived on TFF. 1788. lolz. I ween.

Blog Entries
    I'm not usually one to recommend this sort of thing, but if you're looking for home remedies, I found a fairly good list. Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage incurred by the use of these remedies.

Here's that list, minus the things you don't/can't use:

Aloe Vera Juice: Gargle with aloe vera juice two times daily.

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV): According to Dr. Jarvis in his classic Folk Medicine, the remedy to use to get rid of a sore throat is to gargle with ACV. The acidity should kill the bacteria on contact. Mix one teaspoon to 2 tablespoons in a glass of water. You can mix it as strong as you can stand it. Gargle one mouthful every hour, swallowing afterward. Repeat twice each time. This treatment can cure a streptococcic sore throat in 24 hours. The acid in the ACV is very helpful in soothing and minimizing the sore throat, and, if you swallow it, the extra potassium is also beneficial. Note: After using this remedy be sure to rinse your mouth with water to prevent the acid from eroding the enamel on your teeth.

Combine one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, one teaspoon of cayenne pepper and three tablespoons of clover honey* in a glass of warm water. Gargle as often as necessary. *I'm sure you can replace the honey with something else; it's probably just there for taste.

Betony is a useful astringent which reduces inflammation. Make a tea and use as a gargle.

Cayenne Pepper*: Add 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to 1 cup of boiling water; stir well and gargle while mixture is very warm. This brings more circulation to the area and helps draw away the infection. To this formula you can add 4 parts echinacea, 1 part garlic bulb, and 2 parts peppermint leaves to 1 part cayenne.

Or, another remedy is to add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to 1 cup of boiling water; stir well and sip slowly.

*If you do not have cayenne pepper use 10-20 drops of Tabasco sauce in a glass of warm water, the effect will be the same. If you do not have access to cayenne or Tabasco, chili peppers, hot paprika or white pepper are similarly useful. All this pungent spices contain capsaicin, which dulls the pain and has anti-viral properties.

Chamomile Tea: Make a tea adding 1 or 2 teaspoons of dried chamomile blossoms to a pint of boiling water; steep and drink a cup every few hours.

Chlorophyll: Use ½ teaspoon to ½ cup of water and gargle three times a day.

Echinacea/Goldenseal: Add 30 drops of echinacea/goldenseal combination to one cup of warm water; drink every two hours.

Ginger: Peel the skin from a small ginger root. Slice the root into thin coins and place the pieces into a small pot of water. Boil the pieces to make tea. The tea should turn a yellowish (straw) or tan color. Add three tablespoons of your favorite honey to sweeten the tea. Sip the hot tea slowly. The tea gives a sharp tingle to the throat after swallowing it. After you sip it, gently clear your throat.This tea also works for trying to get your voice back after a cold. This remedy compliments of Cathy Ekaitis.

Goldenseal: Boil a pint of water and add ½ teaspoon of powdered goldenseal root. Drink hot. Goldenseal is well known for its antibiotic properties.

Grapefruit Seed Extract: This extract is a powerful all-around antimicrobial product and is an excellent disinfectant and antiseptic. Add five drops to a glass of water for a soothing gargle.

Honey*/Apple Cider Vinegar: Mix ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar and ¼ cup of honey. Take one tablespoon every four hours or as needed for pain relief. *Again, you may be able to substitute.

Hyssop: Steep two teaspoons of dried hyssop in one cup of boiling water, covered for ten minutes; strain and drink cool for an expectorant or hot to relieve coughs, congestion, and sore throat. The oils in hyssop are good for mild respiratory problems. Hyssop contains marrubiin, the same compound that makes horehound an excellent expectorant.

Licorice
    : Either suck licorice candy or drink licorice tea made by steeping one teaspoon of licorice root in a cup of hot water for three minutes. Drinking the tea will help clear mucus.

Marshmallow Root Bark: Make a tea by putting one or two teaspoons in a cup of hot water. Drink several cups a day or as needed. This tea will coat the throat and relieve soreness and coughs.

Mustard: Grind one tablespoon of mustard seed and combine with the juice of half a lemon, one tablespoon of salt, one tablespoon of clear honey, and 1 1/4 cups of boiling water. Leave this mixture, covered, for 15 minutes and use as a gargle.

Myrrh: It can be made into a tea. To make the tea add 2 sprigs of coarsely chopped parsley, 3 whole spice cloves, 1 teaspoon of powdered myrrh, and 1/4 teaspoon powdered goldenseal to 1 pint of boiling water. Steep. Stir occasionally while cooling, then strain and use as a gargle or mouthwash.

Pickle Juice: (brine from a jar of pickles) brings immediate relief and soothe within the first few sips. Heat up the pickle juice, like hot tea, sip it and/or gargle.

Pomegranate: Boil some pomegranate rinds and drink as a tea. The pomegranate contains astringents.

Slippery Elm Bark: Make a tea by putting one or two teaspoons in a cup of hot water. Drink several cups a day or as needed. This tea will coat the throat and relieve soreness and coughs. Slippery elm lozenges may also be used and are much more convenient if you are going to be away from home.

Thyme: Make a tea by lightly crushing five fresh or dried leaves; place in a cup and fill with water cooled to just below boiling; cover and leave to infuse for five minutes; remove leaves and drink. May also be used as a gargle. Thyme has antiseptic properties.

Other things that may help (and weren't in the original link):

Prevent dehydration. Fluids may help thin secretions and soothe an irritated throat. Hot fluids, such as tea or soup, may help decrease throat irritation.

Use a vaporizer or cool air humidifier in your bedroom.

Warm or cool mist may help you feel more comfortable by soothing the swollen air passages. It may also relieve hoarseness. However, don't let your room become uncomfortably cold or very damp.

Use a shallow pan of water to provide moisture in the air through evaporation if you don't have a humidifier. Place the pan in a safe location where no one will trip on it or fall into it.

Do not smoke or use other tobacco products and avoid secondhand smoke.

Use nonprescription throat lozenges. Some nonprescription throat lozenges, such as Sucrets Maximum Strength or Spec-T, are safe and effective and have medicine (local anesthetic) that numbs the throat to soothe pain. Regular cough drops may also help.

Use a decongestant. Decongestants make breathing easier by shrinking swollen mucous membranes in the nose, allowing air to pass through. They also help relieve a runny nose and postnasal drip, which can cause a sore throat.

Hope this helps.

~DragonHeart~
    Last edited by DragonHeart; 11-24-2008 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Adding more stuff and cleaning the post up.
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Govinda
    Tunes? They're cheap and come in a nice blackcurrant flavour. Or lemon Strepsils, which actually work. You can get ones with menthol in them too, to clear your nose a bit while you chew them.

Get better soon ma luv! <3

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was going to say honey too... damn it.

When I get a sore throat, I get a pack of Lockets. Bloody nasty taste, but they do kind help. I prefer Soothers, - taste is waayyy better - but they don't work as well. Erm... I think you can get other sweets from the pharmacy. Bit more expensive, but they should work.

Can you still drink tea? Caramile and honey tea is good. There I go with the honey again. *laughs like the doctor in The Simpsons*

I know its help with a sore throat you need, but I thought I'd chuck this in too: Airwaves chewing gum is BRILLIANT at clearing a blocked nose. Chew a few times, and the stuff is so strong, you'll sneaze.

Get well soon!

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Full Time Glompasaurus Curing a sore throat. Raider's Avatar
    HARVEST THE BLOOD OF THE INNOCENT! - KILLING SPREE ALWAYS HELP

Or maybe not.

I have 2 remedies

1. As the Ask a ninja says, you could employ an ninja to shrunken the sore throat away but that my destroy your though so its un-recommended.

2. Drink lots of warm drinks, eg. coffee, earl grey, tea, hot chocolate and avoid dairy products because they coat the throat and make you feel even more bunged up.

Hope you get better =D
    ♥The Morning After Crew♥

Gilles De Rais was all leik Blah Blah Blah.

Loookiee!:
    Family
    Athna Loveil - Awesome Cousin
    iheartpixels ♥

HRH Albha Curing a sore throat. Aerif's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If this sore throat is in conjunction with uncontrollable fits of coughing that could be triggered from laughing to hard, or are coughing up yucky goop that bears a resemblance to snot (sorry for that image) then you may have tubercleosis, however if you do it will clear up within the month in most cases (or longer like it did for me).

Sorry, that's just me getting that out there.

Eat lozenger-sweets such as Soothers, Lockets or Tunes (I think Soothers are the most effective and have the best taste, personally).

Also buy lozenger pastelles from your local chemist, or even Boots, as they can also be tasty and aid your throat.

Get well soon, and if the situation worsens go straight to your local GP!

Banners and Stuff:

˙uɐɔ I ʍouʞ I <- uɐɔ I ssǝnƃ I¿sıɥʇ op I uɐƆ

Last signature update: 02/08/2014

I invented Go-Gurt. Curing a sore throat. Clint's Avatar
    Stop taking the cold medicine. I had a very bad case of sinusitis last December, and I got addicted to it. Eventually, I couldn't even sleep. What I did to clear up my thing up was; 1. I drank a ricockulous amount of water (no soda or milk, because it makes mucus thicker); 2. I ignored the sickness as much as humanly possible (placebo effect; if you believe that you're not sick and you keep telling yourself that, then the virus will depart faster); 3. I used a humidifier to knock the mucus off of my lungs; 4. I took a shitload of vitamin C supplements in a way to rebuild my immunity; and 5. I cleaned. If your living environment is clean, then the virus isn't there. Clean multiple times a day to eliminate contamination.

Other than that, all you can really do is wait for the virus to leave.
    Last edited by Clint; 11-24-2008 at 02:43 PM.

1: Drink water or warm tea (hot tea could agrivate it further)
    2: Warm rag to the back of the neck (won't help your throught but it feels nice)
    3: As Corazón de León said take Vitamen C
    4: Warm Baths - take a few and put the hot rag on your face and breath through it.
    5: Take some thing to help with the snot and the caughs

Most of this stuff works for me and my chronic broncidus, and if it starts to get the best of you and you feel really out of it, go out and get some fresh air.

Hope some of these work for you, I am off to play some FFVI Antholgy edition.

Keep us posted on what you find works for you.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    I've always found grabbing some Eucalyptus Lollies works well. They work damn well for me and can be combined with sniffing some eucalyptus oil on a tissue to clear a blocked nose if you have one.

Not sure how big they are outside of Australia, though.
    Either way they're damn tasty.
    victoria aut mors

I have always found that the best solution is to drink NyQuil and go to bed. When you wake up, tada! It is gone.

I actually have a sore throat every morning when I wake up. I do not know why.

Genocide Unfolds, I Forgive All Chez Daja's Avatar
    Thanks everyone.

Sadly, I can't complete anything on DragonHearts' list because I did a mass clearout of my kitchen before I got sick so all of my herbs and vinegars are gone. I know, irony. It hurts.

Gov, fnx babi, I will suck them and think of you. Take that any way you want.

UE, my ability to drink tea went down the drain yesterday when I almost threw up into my green tea. Maybe my brother put something nasty in it and I didn't realise. I'll try again later.

Raider, thanks for the tips. You do know coffee's bad in times of cold, right? Just thought I'd mention that.

Thanks, Aerif. It's times like these that I'm grateful I'm not in a high risk TB area, but now I will be. For you. <3

Corazon, thanks! I'm scared by your mind tricks. It seems colds are, too.

Meier, thanks, I'll try the warm rag thing at some point -- if not for the cold, then for the excruiating pain I get there sometimes.

Silver, I don't know about the lollies, but I have some oil. How do the lollies taste? I can't even imagine.

Thanks, Alizee, I'll ask mum to drop some off here.
    ((Do you have hay fever? I hear a lot of hay fever sufferers get sore throats most mornings. Could also be due to breathing through your mouth during sleep, which makes your throat dry and sore when you get up.)) -- I don't know personally since I don't have it, but my mother, sister and brother all do.

Thanks everyone. Now I don't feel the need to jam a spoon down my throat.

The person in my avatar is me.

THIS SIGNATURE IS VERY DISTRACTINGS

I was the holder of the highest amount of rep that ever lived on TFF. 1788. lolz. I ween.

Govinda
    Quote Originally Posted by Alizée Jacotey View Post
    I have always found that the best solution is to drink NyQuil and go to bed. When you wake up, tada! It is gone.

I actually have a sore throat every morning when I wake up. I do not know why.
    Is the air in your house very dry?

Registered User Curing a sore throat. winterborn86's Avatar
    Strepsils are supposed to be good for sore throats, my mums remedy is to drink plenty of hot drinks, tea, hot chocolate whatever takes your fancy and plenty of hot soup for dinner., and if your going out and it's cold wrap a scarf around the lower part of your face it will help keep the cold air out of your mouth. Hope you fell better soon, sore throats can be a real drag.

My TFF Family

My FFVII addicted nephew: Secret weapon
    My Bullet lovin half wolf cousin: Raider
    My complete FFVII nut sister: Unkown entity
    My Freya obsessed, grammar nazi brother: Doc rocco

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chez Daja View Post
    Silver, I don't know about the lollies, but I have some oil. How do the lollies taste? I can't even imagine.
    Amazing, but the amounts of eucalyptus in them are minute. Too much and it'd likely poison or kill you, so think what even a small amount does to whatever's causing your throat irritation. =D

But yeah, they're one of few cough lolly flavours I love the taste of.
    victoria aut mors

Quote Originally Posted by Govinda View Post
    Is the air in your house very dry?
    No, it has to do with my allergies or asthma. I don't know, a doctor explained it to me many moons ago. It goes away by the time I start my morning masturbation, so I don't notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chez
    ((Do you have hay fever? I hear a lot of hay fever sufferers get sore throats most mornings. Could also be due to breathing through your mouth during sleep, which makes your throat dry and sore when you get up.)) -- I don't know personally since I don't have it, but my mother, sister and brother all do.
    It is all about my allergies and asthma. I breathe through my mouth too often, and not by choice. Cesar is to injuries as I am to sicknesses.
    Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 11-26-2008 at 05:23 PM.

Maker of Long Posts (Often Offline) Curing a sore throat. Totakeke777's Avatar
    To get some not-so-long-lasting relief, use some sort of lozenge. Halls and Ricola are some of the more well-known brands. If you want relief that stays, but is slower to act, try hot soup or tea, which will soothe the throat and have some herbal effects too, sometimes. After a while, the symptoms will go away.
    My TFF Family:

Anachlirium - My (Over) Loving Grandmother
    Athna Loveil - My Anime Crazed Cousin
    Dark Squall - The God Father
    MC Benny - My Hyperactive (And Imaginative) Bro
    Meier Link - My Aunt's Stepsister's Husband's Brother-In-Law
    *Yesha* - My Hyperactive Sister

Everything is art... But is art everything?

Air from my lungs. Curing a sore throat. Violet's Avatar
    Tea.. Ricola.. and Chicken Noodle Soup. I think the quickest way to cure it is just using Robutusen or however it's spelled. Oh, and don't swallow any muccus that you cough up. Spit it all out when you can.

Hmm, maybe I've skipped past it, but couldn't find it in the list here.
    When your throat is sore it's usually cause it's infected right?
    What disinfects? alcohol ^^ yayness
    When I have a sore throat I usually do a shot of straight vodka or something even stronger once every 4 hours or so, shouldn't get you drunk, but if it does, who cares!

Peace out
    Blargh?!?!

Booze lowers your white blood cell count, making you more prone to getting sicker. I would not recommend that for a sore throught. But then again it worked for Usagy so why the heck not, right! Different things work for different people so heck might just try mixing everything together and doing it all at once! Heck if it kills you I don't think you will have to worry about a sore throught anymore.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

HRH Albha Curing a sore throat. Aerif's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just took paracetemol in an attempt to relieve myself from a splitting head-ache and on the box it said that it helpes to relieve many other things aside from head-aches. Including sore throats.

Perhaps you should take paracetemol if the problem is still present. If it isn't still there then this thread should show some indication on how much we love you <3... And stuff...

Banners and Stuff:

˙uɐɔ I ʍouʞ I <- uɐɔ I ssǝnƃ I¿sıɥʇ op I uɐƆ

Last signature update: 02/08/2014

~The Prince of the Moon~ Curing a sore throat. Hiromi Kikawada's Avatar
    Whaaaa...i just got reminded of the time i caught a really bad cold...its rare for me to catch colds.I get about 2 colds in one year..hee hee.That really bad cold was about a month ago...i'll tell you what i did,

I drank lots of tea.I think tea is good for curing sore throats.

I drank soda...*drool*Not the thick ones like pepsi...i drank sprite.It made my throat fell better.

I did'nt do this but eating really strong mints and drinking really cold water is good.
    Oh,ice cream is soothing too.