Thread: Child's Play Charity

Blog Entries

Child's Play Charity

In the spirit of the season I thought I'd bring this up since I'd never heard of it before today. It's basically a charity founded by gamers to help provide things like video games and toys to hospitals all over the world. I think it's an awesome idea and wish I'd heard of it sooner.

As tough as the economy is, I think giving back is essential to being a member of a society. The karma doesn't hurt, either.

I'm donating. Anyone else with me? I know links aren't generally accepted to outside sources so just ask me for the link if you need it or just Google.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Che
    Sounds like a sweet deal, but it's not really a necessity to have videogames in hospitals.

I guess it does bring up morale in patients, but it's not like donating to feed people who can't afford it themselves.

I also cannot donate since I am a poor college student, and therefore would need to start a fundraiser for myself if I did.

Hope it gets support though.

Blog Entries
    It's true that it isn't, but it remains a good gesture nonetheless. There are many ways to help people out and providing a bit of fun is certainly not a trivial thing. I just think it's particularly cool that it's a gamer-created charity and since this is a very gift-centric time of year, perhaps a good time to bring it up.

I know what you mean on the rest, though. I have a full time job and I still barely scrape by. >.< I think we could all use some donations lol.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Child's Play Charity Polk's Avatar

No Chucky, murder isn't charity.

EDIT: Stupid jokes aside, this seems to be a nice little charity and definitely deserves some support. I am poor right now, but I wouldn't mind donating in a couple of months.
    Last edited by Polk; 12-05-2009 at 09:16 PM.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

Lady Succubus Child's Play Charity Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Actually it was founded by Gabe and Tycho of Penny Arcade fame, back in 2003.

But that aside, yeah. It's really nice to donate games and toys and stuff to needy kids in hospitals because they'd be bored out of their skulls otherwise. It raises a lot of funds each year, more than the previous. And just this year, it's already almost beaten last year's amount at 1.434 million dollars. As of yesterday, it's already at 1.010 million dollars.

Child's Play (charity) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia For a little history and how it works. I don't usually donate myself because I'm poor, but it's a really good charity.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I remember when I was little, my nan used to make teddy bears and puppets for children in hospitals. Now they can have video games? Noice.

I'd donate, but... oceans are issues. Like... BIG, HORRIBLE, FISHY, RUSTY ISSUES.

After reading the Wiki page Sheena posted, Liverpool doesn't sound like there will be an ocean in the way. Time to have a clear out maybe? Looking at half the games I have, I wouldn't want GAME making a large profit on them, and ruining some good karma.

I need a box now.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Death Before Dishonor Child's Play Charity Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would donate to this but I am alas I am poor so I raise cash. Me and a few of my friends are doing a thing at our local YMCA, it is a lift-a-thon. People pay us a set amount for each pound we can lift in three core lift's. We have done this every year since 8th grade, luckily we are now able to get more money. All the money we raise goes to a children's charity somewhere, haven't decided which one yet.

I enjoy it, I get two things out of it. I get to make some kid somewhere happy when they have a new toy for christmas, and I get to workout. What more could I possibly ask for..

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

#LOCKE4GOD Child's Play Charity Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    These kind of things make me happy. But, more importantly, they make people who are less fortunate than me happy. I encourage people to donate to these kinds of things, and if you're poor, you can still donate time. I wouldn't call myself poor, but the demands on my resources are high. So I donate time. This Christmas I will (hopefully) be helping out at the local Presbyterian Church serving Christmas dinner to 200 people who otherwise wouldn't get it.

That's what Christmas is. Not this 'buy me, buy me' nonsense.

Che
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

That's what Christmas is. Not this 'buy me, buy me' nonsense.
    Shhhhhhhhhhh! Buy me stuffs