Thread: "Can't come to work...I died."

Sir Prize "Can't come to work...I died." Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Can't come to work...I died."

I admit that in the past, I've called in for some silly reasons. But the excuses I gave were always big and life-sized. Now that FFXIII came out, I've noticed atleast two people who've called in at their job so that they could play the game. One of them was in a "car wreck" that was nearly fatal. (It would've been so epic if they had sent him flowers) The other was having to go see his uncle who just had a "massive heart attack".

Have you ever done this?
    Why?
    And what excuse did you give?
    Did you get away with it?

-Sin
    Last edited by Sinister; 03-11-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Re: "Can't come to work...I died."

I said I'm ill I can't come into work. The only reason you should ever give to call out. They don't need to know the details. You say your are sick, they have to agree.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Blog Entries

One time during my junior year in high school, I went on a college visit but I forgot that I had to work that day, so I called in and told my boss that I was sick. Other then that I've never really called in sick for a slackerish reason. I think my boss told me to bring in a doctors note or something but I never did, and it was never brought up again, so yeah lol.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Professional Klutz. &quot;Can't come to work...I died.&quot; Hyzenthlay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf
    I said I'm ill I can't come into work. The only reason you should ever give to call out. They don't need to know the details. You say your are sick, they have to agree.
    Yeah, but giving an elaborate/ serious lie makes your plight more believable... Allegedly.

Anyway. I have. I once told my tutor at school the reason I'd have to be off was due to my sister breaking both her legs whilst ski-ing. I went on to say that both my parents were away on work stints. This lead to the fact that I needed to take care of her.

I did get found out, I was stupid enough to overlook the fact that my brother also went to my school. So whilst I was at home happily playing away on Twilight Princess my brother was spilling the beans. My teacher wasn't pleased, to say the least. That earned me several detentions and a full project/ essay to catch up on. Fun fun.

Funny times when I got back in and my teacher asked "where exactly in England was your sister ski-ing?"... Busted. That day saw more shouting than I'd ever had before. Parents were called, head teachers were informed. All led to the above stated punishment. My dad saved me from exclusion.

Even after all that I distinctly remember feeling I was being treated unfairly. I vividly remember thinking "this is bullsh*t".

Hyz.
    Last edited by Hyzenthlay; 03-11-2010 at 02:52 PM.
    Cogito, ergo sum.
    PRK9, putting the Kitty back in Por Rorr.
    Most likely to have supernatural babies- TFF Bogus Awards 2009- Winner

Registered User &quot;Can't come to work...I died.&quot;

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf View Post
    That's how my job basically is. If you call and say you're sick, they're really nothing they can say otherwise. If you do it too much, however, next time you come to work you have to bring a doctor's note, but those aren't hard to get.

I admit that there have been a few times where I just didn't feel like going to work, so I did play hooky and call in sick. As for why, there's different reasons. When I was in school, I would call in so I could spend more time on a project or homework that I put off until the last minute. If I just felt like taking a personal day or something, I would call in and ask them to cover my shift. I've never asked off just so I could play a game or whatever, but I did call in sick one time so I could go do some out-of-town shopping with some of my family.

In my line of work, it's not hard to replace someone when they can't make it in that day. It just means a greater chance for everyone else to make more money.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Che

Let's please not assume that people who call in about car wrecks or their uncles massive heart attacks are lying so they can play FFXIII. I wouldn't put it past some people, but you honestly don't know the truth so I wouldn't think speculating on something like that would be very nice.

Do Loaf's thing, and just be chill about it. "I'm sick, not coming in." No harm done. Nobody's worrying about your uncle or your bad back.

That being said, if that person involved in the "almost fatal" car accident comes into work in a day or two with absolutely no scratches, he or she might be a superhero.

Sir Prize &quot;Can't come to work...I died.&quot; Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They told me they were calling in to play FFXIII. And yea, I actually do know. -_-;

Also, I believe he called in for more than a week, but I doubt he's the type that gives a shit. Either read the post or give me the benefit of the doubt, please. Preferably both.

-Sin
    Last edited by Sinister; 03-11-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Che

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    They told me they were calling in to play FFXIII. And yea, I actually do know. -_-;

Also, I believe he called in for more than a week, but I doubt he's the type that gives a shit. Either read the post or give me the benefit of the doubt, please. Preferably both.

-Sin
    Well your post wasn't entirely clear!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I Now that FFXIII came out, I've noticed atleast two people who've called in at their job so that they could play the game. One of them was in a "car wreck" that was nearly fatal. (It would've been so epic if they had sent him flowers) The other was having to go see his uncle who just had a "massive heart attack".
    Read that and tell me what you comprehend out of it, lulz. <3

(Sounds like you just thought they were playing FFXIII when they called in to work, because it was a coincidence that FFXIII came out and then these people magically called in)

Cilla vs. Games &quot;Can't come to work...I died.&quot; Priscilla's Avatar

I don't think I've ever faked sick from work/school/Uni.

Oh! I used to hate going to the swimming contests in Primary School because I wasn't very good. So one day I faked sick and got to stay home. My Dad went to drop my brother off and saw my friends and they asked where I was. He said I was sick and they said I was faking. He came home mad and sent me to the carnival.

I've gone to the sick bay throughout high school to get out of certain classes. Maths in particular. But nothing else as far as I can remember.

Sir Prize &quot;Can't come to work...I died.&quot; Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Right. Well I don't say those type of things lightly.
    Anyway, back to topic.

I've called in twice in the last year. Once because I was sick with the flu and then because I felt like I should be sick. Never got in trouble either time. As previously stated, the magic of calling in sick is, who is going to dispute you?

*EDIT* Three times, I did call in once when there was about a foot and a half of snow and I couldn't get out...I probably could've gotten out if I tried hard enough. But no need to exert yourself or risk your car and health...etc...

-Sin
    Last edited by Sinister; 03-11-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Gingersnap &quot;Can't come to work...I died.&quot; OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I came to classes when I had the flu. I tried to stay away from other people... I know I'd resent the **** out of some mother****er who came around me with the flu, but... I really couldn't afford to get behind. I did miss one of my 8AM classes because I woke up and vomited.

If my problem is respiratory, I'll probably show up. Stomach issues? That'll keep me home. I'm not trying to barf and shit in public restrooms. I would resent someone for doing that, too.

But uh... I don't know, I don't recall ever having called in sick when I wasn't really sick.

Oh! Oh. I remember now. When my nearly three year relationship ended and I was crying constantly... I emailed my professor saying what had happened and that I couldn't bring myself to weep in front of my classmates. I seriously couldn't stop crying. I ****in tried. Couldn't do it. I guess in a way, I made myself sick from crying. But I got it together soon enough.

But no, never for silly reasons like playing a videogame.
    Last edited by OceanEyes28; 03-11-2010 at 04:14 PM.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

Soup Kitchen Jerk. &quot;Can't come to work...I died.&quot; Polk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
    He came home mad and sent me to the carnival.
    I don't understand how this is a punishment. Unless you have some sort of insane phobia of carnivals.

I've called in to work a couple times, mostly to go to concerts. Once I called in to go down to Illinois to go see Motorhead, Heaven and Hell, and Judas Priest. No regrets about that one.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

Air from my lungs. &quot;Can't come to work...I died.&quot; Violet's Avatar

Every time I stayed home from school, my excuse was that I'd been sick and they always bought it. I've never had issues with absences.. however, I have always had issues making it on time. In the morning, I'd get up at 6a.m.. I'd be extremely tired. So, I'd go back to sleep for another 20 minutes then wake up again and hurry the hell up.. I even ran across the parking lot and the campus to get to class. Once, I made it into the room on time at the same exact time the bell rang. I usually got pretty lucky, but I've had a few detentions from being late, and it's not fun.. I just sat there and had to copy onto a piece of paper the school rules. LAME.

The Mad God &quot;Can't come to work...I died.&quot; Heartless Angel's Avatar

I actually HAVE called in dead before. I only get away with this because the boss is my uncle, so he doesn't give a crap what reason I have, as long as shit gets done in time, he's happy.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

I always say this, and no one ever wants to use this excuse (I haven't either), but saying you have or had diarrhea would probably get you out of most things lolol If something really extreme came up you bet I'm using it.

As for me skipping class or work, I never skip work because I need the hours, but as for class I'll just skip when I feel like it, which isn't that often, but I'm always careful and I only do it when I know I've got everything done and I'm not missing anything important. It's hard for me to go consecutively without missing a day here and there, especially when I know the material that's going to be covered the next day is something I already know. I always work ahead so I pretty much know what the next lesson will be.

High School was a joke, I got like four letters of truancy because I ditched all the time and still managed to get five A's and a B+ my senior year.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Bananarama &quot;Can't come to work...I died.&quot; Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nope, I don't believe in bullshitting illness.

My boss did have a contest for best excuse in order to get a day off, since we were overstaffed for a while. One time one of the guys called in and just said "AIDS" and won. Another time I called in beligerently drunk and won.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've "been ill" a few times to get out of college. Mainly it was to get work done (if I stay at home and work, I get an extra hour and a half to do work, instead of travelling), and once or twice to avoid someone.

Back in primary school, I used to pretend to get chest pains. I was quite convincing. This was so I could sit inside and read most days instead of being out in the playground with the other kids (you weren't allowed in the building during break and lunch, unless it was raining). I even got sent home a few times, which was a bonus. Eventually, the first-aid lady got worried about my "chest pains", so I had to limit them. >>;

I once told my teacher my cat died after I hadn't turned up for two days, and that I was deeply upset over it. I didn't have pets at the time, but I felt incredibly guilty afterwards when my teacher didn't turn up a few days later... her cat had died. =S

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Sharing is caring, and caring is ment to be shared &quot;Can't come to work...I died.&quot; The Dark Crystal's Avatar

Ive called in sick a few times, but most of the time it was just to have a day to relax *cough* play games, finish homework, or a project.

I took a day off once after the midnight release of GoW2 at Hastings , but I told my Boss three months in advance. We also had a halo 2 tournament before the release which took up some of the waiting time
    THE GREAT CONJUNCTION IS THE END OF THE WORLD! Or the beginning. Hm! -Aughra

gaming service ID:

Death Before Dishonor &quot;Can't come to work...I died.&quot; Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was when COD MW1 came out. I was working at Gamestop and everyone knew the reason I missed. Being that it was a bunch of gamers I worked with everyone understood.

My excuse was that my twice removed cousin was in a boating accident, and I had to go see him.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

I'd never lie about that shit. The kind of places I'm looking to work, they check up on that shit and will fire your ass for lying.

SOLDIER 3rd Class &quot;Can't come to work...I died.&quot; Copperfire's Avatar

I love this excuse for missing work.

Peter Griffin: Mr. Weed? I can't come to work today. I was in a terrible plane crash. My entire family was killed and I am a vegetable. I'll see you tomorrow.
    I usually take off work when my monthly cramps are worse than usual.

The Mad God &quot;Can't come to work...I died.&quot; Heartless Angel's Avatar

I use that line all the time when I call in XD

Only because my boss gets the refference though. I kinda wann a try it on a boss who doesn't watch FG sometime, just to see what he says.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Let's see....

I can recall 3 days I've called in legitimately. I've also requested off a weekend of two in order to catch up with school, and used the school excuse to request off a weekend to play the shit out of Wrath of the Lich King the week it launched.

I've used an "I'm sick" excuse a dozen or more times for class, just shooting the teacher an email telling them I'm sick, blah blah, just so they'll tell me what I'm missing that day.

I called in sick, faking, once, t'was when one the 6th Harry Potter book came out, I called in and said I was sick because I didn't want to put it down, I read the entire thing in one sitting. It was a no harm no foul type of day, since it was a VERY slow night, I was working as a busser, and they would've sent me home anyways.

I've also gone to work and school through injuries/illnesses before, so it kinda evens out. *shrug*
    Last edited by Sean; 03-17-2010 at 03:30 AM.

The Bad Boy of TFF &quot;Can't come to work...I died.&quot; Block's Avatar

I told my boss that my fiancee tried to commit suicide once... that got me a week off payed. CH CHING