Thread: Body shape?

Boxer of the Galaxy Body shape? Rowan's Avatar

Body shape?

Whats your preffered body type? lean, muscly or standard? I use these three options because I believe that some people actually prefer neither lean nor muscly, but actually just standard body types.

Do you attach stereotypes to people with certain body types?
    Do you think muscly people have low IQ?
    Do you think obesity is genetic?
    Are you striving to change your body type? Why?

Will this be the first non-beard thread?

I invented Go-Gurt. Body shape? Clint's Avatar
    Lean is probably the best option out of the three. I was a little confused as to what standard referred to, but lean generally refers to the right percentage of body fat for an individual body type. That sounds healthy to me.

I don't think it's right to attach stereotypes to people with particular body types, which would include your inquiry about muscly people with low IQ's. What your body type is doesn't determine who you are as a person, it simply determines your shape. Who you are as a person resides within your heart, your mind, and your soul. You can build up your body, or let it go to shit, but as long as you keep your heart, mind, and soul healthy, you won't lose sight of who you are.

I do think obesity is genetic for one purpose; because I am genetically skinny. No matter what I do, no matter how much I eat, or how much muscle I try to build, I can't pack on weight. I weighed 150 lbs when I was 16, which is the most I've ever weighed. I started lifting weights, and I dropped to 118 lbs in less than two months. It's been years, and since then I've been working on gaining weight, and I've just recently got my body weight up to 140 lbs, which is still considered underweight for my height and age. All of this has to do with my metabolism, which is genetic. My father has the same problem, though not as drastically as I have. So I'm genetically inclined to be skinny, so there's no doubt in my mind that there are those who are genetically inclined to be heavy.

Although I could probably gain weight if I could grow a bigger beard, because I heard somewhere that large beards equals manliness. Perhaps I'm not manly enough.

What are your eating habits? Because if you were able to lose weight and put weight back on like you have, I would say you have good control over your eating habits. Theres no scientific evidence to sugguest theres a correlation between genetics and body fat%. Perhaps some people with thyroid problems will find it mentally more difficult to control their food habits in adjusting in accordance to certain hormonal imbalances, but theres no excuse. Calories in> calories out. Simple. There can be absolutley no way you can store fat if you are following this basic principle. In your case, I would sugguest to increase your caloric consumption to break your threshold (see caloric threshold vs wieght/age) and increase it until you reach your desired goal.

Even if a persons metabolism is slow/fast (fast is obviously better), you can always do things to increase it and bring it upto speed. Unless you are dying, a person should have no excuse.
    Last edited by Rowan; 05-13-2014 at 07:35 PM.

I invented Go-Gurt. Body shape? Clint's Avatar
    When I weighed 118 lbs and was trying to gain weight, I would consume close to 10,000 calories a day. I would eat constantly, and not gain any weight. The only way I was able to gain weight was to cut back on my exercise regiment. I stopped bench pressing and exercising regularly, and only then was I able to gain some weight, but it's been nine years, and I haven't been able to put that weight back on. I lost 32 lbs in less than two months, but I can't gain 32 lbs in nine years. I am convinced that that has nothing to do with how I eat, or how active I am, because my father and my oldest brother are the same way. We have no problem dropping weight, but we can't gain weight.

My other older brother, however, is a big guy. He's tall, and he has a large frame, and he also has more body fat. I believe that that is also genetic. He doesn't over-eat, he does yoga every day, and he texts me every time he poops, so I know his metabolism is about the same as mine is right now. Him and I have the same dietary and exercise regiment, and we have a similar metabolism, yet he has more body fat than I do. This is why I believe that body type is purely genetic.

If you were consuming 10,000 cals on the daily and not gaining wieght, then find yourself the nearest documentarian and start filming man!

Average human would consume near 2000 calories as a day since the body burns on average 2000 per day. You are consuming 5x that per day which means you were consuming 35x the weekly calorie requirement. If you did this for a month it means you consumed 140x the required monthly calories.

The Old Skool Warrior Body shape? LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When I was in high school and weighed 109 at the ages of 14-17, I was also consuming anywhere from 8000 to 10000 calories per day. My metabolism was so ridiculously high that I needed the caloric intake to keep from passing out. Mostly carbohydrates. I was also exceptionally athletic at the younger end of that age spectrum, prior to the start of the ridiculous amounts of injuries. It wasn't until surgery at 19 and spending months cringing in a bed (and that awful drug addiction for those six months or so) that killed my metabolism. It's remarkable what cutting through your abdomen and not moving for extended periods of time can do to your body.

As for my preferred body type, I guess it depends on the person's bone structure. Some builds look better with different skeletal shapes.

"Do you attach stereotypes to people with certain body types?"
    I try not to, but in all honesty, stereotypes do exist for a reason. Anyone whose rib cage sticks out probably isn't healthy, and anyone who can't see their toes probably isn't healthy either.

"Do you think muscly people have low IQ?"
    Not necessarily. Quarterbacks are some of the most intelligent people around. While it's true that a lot of student athletes only utilize college scholarships to reach for careers in their sport of choice, there are many who use their athletic prowess to get a worthwhile education.

"Do you think obesity is genetic?"
    I know that some obesity is genetic, but I don't think all obesity is genetic. Sometimes people are just gluttonous. If anything, few cases of obesity might even be a neurological disorder.

"Are you driving to change your body type? Why?"
    A little bit. I gained a fair bit of water weight but there was some super awesome actual fat that came along with poor eating decisions after some super stressful situations at the start of this year. I'm not at my heaviest, but I did start climbing back up that scale again and I'm not a fan. I don't diet, but I often make smart food choices. I had a crazy period there when I definitely stopped making those choices.

"Well this be the first non-beard thread?"
    I mean, obviously not now that you asked that question. I shaved 3/4 of my beard off yesterday... it's all gonna be gone at the beginning of June. Cosplay isn't very beard-friendly.

~ sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by LocoColt04; 05-14-2014 at 01:08 AM.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    If you were consuming 10,000 cals on the daily and not gaining wieght, then find yourself the nearest documentarian and start filming man!

Average human would consume near 2000 calories as a day since the body burns on average 2000 per day. You are consuming 5x that per day which means you were consuming 35x the weekly calorie requirement. If you did this for a month it means you consumed 140x the required monthly calories.
    Stop. Math alert. I don't care about calories, but I do care about maths. Someone has to.

Code:
    Period          || Calories Required || Calories Consumed || Multiple of required amount
    ========================================================================================
    Day             || 2000              || 10000             || 5 (because 5 * 2000 = 10000
    Week            || 14000             || 70000             || 5 (because 5 * 14000 = 70000
    Month (30 days) || 60000             || 300000            || STILL 5, NOT 140x
    Sorry for ugly table. Can we get some LaTeX support, or Markdown or something that's not BB? Thanks, Loco, [code] tags are OK... ugh no strikethrough... grumble

edit: There's a strike tag, but because it's not a vBulletin default, it's not programmed like the other tags. Use [strike] instead.
    Last edited by LocoColt04; 05-14-2014 at 08:46 AM. Reason: dropping knowledge bombs

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Stop. Math alert. I don't care about calories, but I do care about maths. Someone has to.

Code:
    Period          || Calories Required || Calories Consumed || Multiple of required amount
    ========================================================================================
    Day             || 2000              || 10000             || 5 (because 5 * 2000 = 10000
    Week            || 14000             || 70000             || 5 (because 5 * 14000 = 70000
    Month (30 days) || 60000             || 300000            || STILL 5, NOT 140x
    [s]Sorry for ugly table. Can we get some LaTeX support, or Markdown or something that's not BB?[/s] Thanks, Loco, [code] tags are OK... ugh no strikethrough... grumble
    its 7 days...

edit: oh yeah shit, gimme a break had a long day at work >_>
    Last edited by Rowan; 05-14-2014 at 03:02 AM.

My preferred body type is lean but with some muscle definition like this. Luckily(thanksMum&Dad) I'm tall and naturally lean but I could stand to work on more muscle definition like Candice..ugh.

I'd be lying if I said I didnt, to answer your first question. Second question = No. That's ridiculous. No, I don't think obesity is genetic but I'm very much aware that some people are able to gain/lose weight more easily than others. For example my 2 brothers, one finds it hard to lose weight and the older one finds it difficult to put on weight and that guy eats like absolute shite fkng poptarts n all that processed crap.

To answer your last question... I like the body that I have apart from wanting a lil more muscle definition and sometimes a boob reduction, my agent says im fine tho but there's always room for improvement. Im not really working to maintain it as I've always been lean and fit but when you model swimwear and lingerie, you can't afford to get complacent. A few of my friends also model but they don't work out nearly as much, they hate it but I love it I've rocked the entire DMC3 OST in one workout session. Often they don't want to hit the gym unless I go with them, sometimes at ungodly hrs in the mornings when nobody's there. So I do resistance, weights and strength training but i could kick it up a notch...plus the guys tend to congregate in the weights section n oogle us, so we try to avoid that area altogether and move to another room, it just doesn't have as good weights, benches and strength equipment in there so we box, jump rope, use rowing machines or the punching bag. We're all tall and lean so we all follow a similar workout to keep in shape.

Registered User Body shape? Sheechiibii's Avatar
    I like lean or standard really, not into muscly guys. It kind of depends what is meant by 'standard' though.

Hmm...it depends on what is considered a stereotype I guess, I don't think it's a stereotype to consider someone who is clearly unhealthy as unhealthy but some people would say it is. If you mean considering people with muscles to be stupid, or people who are overweight to be lazy then no I don't really attach stereotypes to certain body images.

I don't think obesity is genetic. Having said that, people's metabolism can be faster or slower depending on the person. I still think it's perfectly possible for someone with a slow metabolism (who gains weight far easier than they lose it) to stay at a healthy weight. It just involves a stricter diet and more work than someone whose metabolism is a lot faster.

I am not changing my body now, but about 3/4 of a year ago I lost 2 stone and now I'm very happy with my body. I'm not an active person so I did not exercise at all to lose it like a lot of people say you must do. The fact is, no matter your metabolism, if you don't eat that many calories you will lose weight. Unless there's an underlying health problem of course but that's a different issue.

"Everyone was so happy. 'Great job. You did it. You saved us... all.' There were too many smiles to count.
    But now...When I look back... The people who should be here aren't.
    The ones who should be smiling with me aren't here."